Photo
- - - - -

Nootropics for Fibromyalgia?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GettingThere

• 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hey all, I'm hoping to find some answers that I haven't been able to track down or comprehend myself. I'm posting on behalf on my mother, age 53, who's been dealing with fibromyalgia for the past 15 years or so. He main symptoms are chronic pain, insomnia or poor quality of sleep, and "fibro fog" which is pretty much just severe brain fog that manifests itself primarily in her terrible short-term memory.

I'm mainly looking for possible solutions to alleviating her brain fog, which nootropics should theoretically be perfect for. Does anyone have any experience SPECIFICALLY treating fibromyalgia with nootropics or other supplements? I was thinking of having her try a basic piracetam & phosphatidyl choline regimen for a few days and see how it affects her mental health.

Also, I've come across several sources that suggest magnesium as a potential treatment for FM. The abstract below tested the effects of magnesium, B1/B6, high energy phosphates and piracetam on patients with FM or Alzheimer's, but the brain science terminology is way beyond my skill level and I can't make any sense of it, even after looking up ETK-AC and Km-TPP.

Can anyone be kind enough to spell out the practical applications of this study for me? Any knowledgeable contributions would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my whole family.

Effects of magnesium, high energy phosphates, piracetam and thiamin on erythrocyte transketolase.

Eisinger J, Bagneres D, Arroyo P, Plantamura A, Ayavou T.

Source

Department of Rheumatology, C.H.I. Toulon, La Seyne/mer, France.

Abstract

Erythrocyte transketolase activity coefficient (ETK-AC) and affinity for coenzyme (Km TPP) were assessed in 50 patients with transketolase abnormalities such as fibromyalgia or senile dementia of Alzheimer's type, before and after magnesium (Mg), thiamin+pyridoxine (B1,B6), high energy phosphates (HEP) (phosphocreatinine of adenosine triphosphate), and piracetam. Compared to 12 untreated patients, ETK-AC was significantly decreased with B1,B6 (P < 0.05, n = 10); Km-TPP was significantly decreased with HEP (P < 0.05, n = 20) and piracetam (P < 0.01, n = 5). In nine other patients treated with HEP + B1,B6 + magnesium, ETK-AC and Km TPP were both significantly decreased.

#2 neuropill

• 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

One of friends with fibromyalgia has found SAM-e injections and Gabapentin somewhat helpful. You could also look at isoprinosine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GettingThere

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Just to clarify, helpful for chronic pain relief or helpful for alleviating mental fog>\?

#4 neuropill

• 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:59 AM

Just to clarify, helpful for chronic pain relief or helpful for alleviating mental fog>\?

I think both they seem to feel it helped them overall.

I know Pregabalin a related drug is FDA approved for fibro and sam-e has a number of studies on pubmed showing benefit.

#5 GettingThere

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it! I have, however, heard some anecdotal reports of sam-e causing some depressive symptoms. Did your friend note any affect on mood or depressive symptoms, if they had any to begin with?

#6 neuropill

• 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it! I have, however, heard some anecdotal reports of sam-e causing some depressive symptoms. Did your friend note any affect on mood or depressive symptoms, if they had any to begin with?

That's unusual as it's one of the most effective compounds for treating depression. Maybe if you're methylation levels are very low. They seemed happier to me not manic but in better spirits.

#7 polarbears

• 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

most fibromyalgia sufferers actually do not have the disease but rather wierd neuropathies or myopathies look into http://www.jmedicalc...2-1947-6-55.pdf find a muscle doc, get a muscle biopsy for her. regardless try modafinil, pramiracetam/piracetam, godsends. they helped my "fibromyalgia" which was actually a full blown mitochondrial myopathy...
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:43 AM

Any updates on this? I am glad to hear Piracetam helps. I can vouch for the modafinil. It really brought me back to life when I was taking it. Was able to be around people again. But I really hate how aggressive and mean it makes me feel so I been seeking alternatives.

I will be ordering piracetam soon.  I have oxiracetam and fasoracetam but they don't seem to specifically help for it all that much. I guess it has to be Piracetam itself? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users