Photo
- - - - -

Why did Piracetam stop working for me?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Xenix

• 212 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I started taking Piracetam back in November last year for various mental issues I was facing; including chronic fatigue (unrefreshing sleep), ADHD (Inattentive type) or 'brain fog', mild depression, and Aspergers Syndrome (maybe). Let me tell you that for the 7 months I was consuming Piracetam, it changed my life and all of these symptoms I suffered from were truly eliminated.

I was able to hold engaging and confident conversations effortlessly (where previously impossible), multitask unbelievably, my concentration, creativity, and short-term memory was AMAZING, and my energy and confidence was virtually limitless.
This all lasted the best part of 7 months and I was taking 2.4grams/3 or 4 times a day. I was supplementing with CDP-choline for the first few months to counteract my initial headaches, but stopped after I read (and realised) that I didn't need it.

I can't begin to explain how absolutely happy it made me feel to be neurotypical (or perhaps just a delusional hypomanic loon) for the first time in my life; I used to cry tears of joy in realising I had finally found something that could actually allow me to function in society and feel like a normal person.
And believe me when I say that I have tried nearly every supplement under the sun (everything from 5-HTP to apple cider vinegar and tyrosine), and NOTHING came even close to working like Piracetam did, or for as long.

In short, during these past 7 months I felt like Charlie from the book Flowers For Algernon...

But, sadly, what goes up must come down... About two months ago Piracetam's magical abilities stopped working (even though I was maintaining my normal doses) and all the horrible symptoms came roaring back - the depression, absent mindedness, brain fog, and the lethargy...

I used to only need 6 hours sleep a night, swallow 2.4 grams of Piracetam in the morning and be full of so much energy and life.
Now I'm sleeping up to 12 hours and I feel like crap - I'm so drained, anhedonic, and absent minded... even though I'm maintaining doses. Hell, if anything, Piracetam seems to have the opposite effect nowadays - it makes me more tired and unfocused when I actually do dose.

It scares the living shit out of me because I can't go to a doctor and talk to them about this because (at least the 4 or so GPs I've spoken to) have no idea what the hell the word nootropic even means, let alone the unbelievable changes that acetylcholine has had on my brain.

------------------------------------

Basically what I'm asking is:
1) have I damaged my brain somehow? (taking a stab in the dark here) like overloaded my adrenal or acetylcholine supply in my brain, or is there some other explanation?

2) how can I get the magic of Piracetam back? any additional supplements to counteract the (seeming) reverse effect Piracetam is giving
me, or is it a matter of tolerance - do I need stop taking it for a few months, and resupply my brain with (CDP) choline supplements before trying it again?

3) has anyone else experienced what I have described?

If anyone could help me I would be infinitely grateful as I don't think I can handle living again like this much longer...
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

What Piracetam effect still retain even after Piracetam fully stop working on you ,such as hearing ,vision ,color improvement ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Xenix

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

What Piracetam effect still retain even after Piracetam fully stop working on you ,such as hearing ,vision ,color improvement ?

I do feel like my appreciation for colour has increased, but it's really hard to compare my state today (post-Piracetam) to my state back in November (pre-Piracetam). So I can't say for sure if any of the positive effects I experienced on the chemical remain - but in terms of cognition enhancement, I feel like I've just returned to how I was before I started taking it.

Besides, I never really took Piracetam for any reason other than cognitive enhancement - mainly just to treat what my psychologist and I believe to be inattentive ADD.

I just *REALLY* don't want to go back to taking dexamphetamine again. Piracetam (while it worked) just felt so natural and wonderful, with none of the crummy side effects of (d)amphetamine. Piracetam was like a godsend from Heaven, like angels had rewired my brain, as if I was given a chance at how it feels to be 'normal'...

No, I'm not crazy, just a guy who has some (rather severe) problems with everyday life (i.e. common sense). Piracetam was like the icing on the cake - allowing me to filter my thoughts efficiently and make conscious and detailed decisions every minute of my life... I need to go back to feeling like that! please help.
  • dislike x 1

#4 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

This all lasted the best part of 7 months and I was taking 2.4grams/3 or 4 times a day. I was supplementing with CDP-choline for the first few months to counteract my initial headaches, but stopped after I read (and realised) that I didn't need it.

I had a very similar experience. I started 2.4grams piracetam 2-3 times daily when I was rather depressed and lacked motivation in life.
It didn't do wonders for memory, but overall my mood, energy confidence received a nice boost. I started with CDP choline, too, and stopped using choline after coming to the conclusion choline is expensive and not necessary.
After half a year, piracetam lost its edge, and when I did take it I felt irritated without a plus side.

Our experiences are similar, but I never needed it to pass the day, it was just a nice plus to me.. I really hope you figure out what would be the best course of action.
Personally I have experienced with glutamate (MSG), calcium, milk... then again I never was much of a responder in the noticeable way beside mood and confidence, I very rarely noticed auditory or visual changes.

Personally, I moved away from racetams and made a new stack from scratch. Experimenting with all kinds of things takes lots of time and lots of money, though.
What I do suffer from is chronic tinnitus, which is another beast all together. Either way: my regimen findings.

A point in regard to sleep and energy: I recently experimented with a micro spoon (~250mg) of micronized resveratrol in 1 scoop of whey (~30g) before bed.
It made me wake up at ~8 o clock very well rested, like a teenager. Very nice, but somewhat on the expensive side.
Another thing is melatonin to enhance sleep, lots of literature to read up on if you're interested in that.
Finally there's a lot in the stimulant section for energy, the well known caffeine and lesser known DMAA(geranamine), or even the recently released commercial phenylpiracetam.
Personally, I take a bag of this when I'm low on energy, since I don't like tolerance or habit forming things like stimulants/amphetamines.

When I suffer from brain fog I take a B12 bag + a capsule of DMAE(superb choline donor) and phosphatidyl choline (offsets negatives from DMAE) and two caps of riboflavine (ATP donor to the brain).
You can scratch the DMAE+phosphatidyl choline if the latter is too expensive. DMAE+PS could be useful for AD(H)D states, too, though.

Vitamin D could be useful for overall well being, at 1000-2000IU daily or 5000IU every other day. Lithium is very useful as a mood stabilization, at the cost of emotion: it renders you a bit apathetic.
I take 5mg lithium orotate daily since I love what it does to me, my sister takes lithium only during exams to counter stress/angst/negative thoughts.

This is all based on personal experiences, I'm sure others will recommend other things. Hope you get well soon.

Edited by Baten, 30 August 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Take a break from Piracetam and try using NOOPEPT for a few months, then rotate.

#6 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Take a break from Piracetam and try using NOOPEPT for a few months, then rotate.

Secound ,try NOOPEPT and report us ,you can using Piracetam again trust me ,just keep report here about your next experiment .
I known something about Piracetam ,just little bit calm down and no hurry using it ,i also same as your situation except it respond me not so good at first .

#7 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

It seems that piracetam use is sensitizing, so it may be that you now just need a lower dose to get back in your sweet spot.

#8 blazewind

• 77 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Here are some things to try:

1. Perhaps you have a vitamin deficiency which is causing piracetam to not be as effective as before. Try taking a multivitamin that has high doses and optimal forms like life extension mix capsules.

2. Try every other racetam: oxiracetam, aniracetam, pramiracetam, noopept, phenylpiracetam

3. Try higher AND lower doses of each racetam

#9 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Going through the same thing as the OP right now, almost exactly, except the positive effects of Pira only lasted 2 months or so for me. I have tried upping the dose, lowering it, with/without cdp-choline (high and low amounts), I have tried taking a break from it and starting again - nothing, it's like the 'magic' has just gone completely, like when people say the magic of MDMA has gone after taking it for so many times.

Any insights into this? I've also tried Aniracetam, and Noopept doesn't seem to do anything to me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 deh707

• 126 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

I used to have the same problem, until I lowered my doses to 400mg 3x a day. Previously, 3g x3 was my sweet spot.

If that doesn't work, I hear L-Glutamine or Glutamic Acid may help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users