• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

I can't straighten my elbow after weight training.

injury gym

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been to the gym last Wednesday. It was my first time doing real weight training. They have made a plan for me and I have followed that. Although, I could not do every exercise with the indicated weight and repetitions. My VO2max is above average, but I'm not very strong. I think they have overvalued me somehow on the basis of my VO2max test on the bike. Now, three days later, I still can't straighten my elbows. I am a little worried about that now. I want to do weight training for the health benefits and getting injured is as far as I know not a part of that.

I think I have overused the tendons in my elbow. I have tried to show the painful areas with my paint skills in the picture below. My right arm is less painful than the left one.

Posted Image

Has anyone experienced the same? What is a wise thing to do now?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Now, 08 September 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) can last up to five days if one hasn't trained in a long time and really hits the weights hard. There's no reason to worry yet. Take it a bit easier the next time to go to the gym again.

Edited by platypus, 08 September 2012 - 02:40 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

This means you did it right ;)

Same think happened to me when I started training.

Drink plenty of whey protein shakes; the glutamine & BCAAs will help with muscle repair.
  • like x 2

#4 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the fast responses!

I am/was worried because I thought that there aren't many muscles in and around the elbow, just tendons and ligaments. That thought in combination with a wrong posture (the weights were too heavy so my movements were not as they supposed to be. I couldn't even do 4 reps with the Seated Biceps Curl) made me worry about it.

But you think this is perfectly normal and will heal soon?

Edited by Now, 08 September 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#5 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

But you think this is perfectly normal and will heal soon?

Yes it's normal. You can try speeding the healing by reading on how to alleviate DOMS with light stretcing hot/cold etc. A patch with some inflammation-easing painkiller like diclofenac (Voltaren) on the most painful areas would certainly help too. If it does not stop you from sleeping I'd simply wait.
  • like x 1

#6 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks again. I really have to chill out a bit.

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

There is a big difference between "it hurts to extend my elbow" and "I can not extend my elbow". The first isn't a big deal, the second may require some therapy other than relaxation. Give it a couple more days before worryning about it, though.
  • like x 1

#8 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

It is a lot better now. I'm going to the gym today or tomorrow and I will ask them for some lighter exercises.

Sorry for bothering you guys. I need to learn to temper my anxiety.

#9 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yeah it is fine, I get it after going back to the gym after not going for a few months.

It shows you are strong and put a good first effort in. it wont be as bad in future, and you will grow to enjoy and feel satisfied with a good doms!

stretch a lot.

#10 nootropics_newb23

• 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

You got that elbow problem form doing what I assume was bicep curls which I got when I first started attending the gym the reason this happned is because when you were lifting the dumbell you put more pressure on your elbow to raise and keep the dumbell at your final raised point when you really should have been using your bicep and putting all the pressure on your bicep to raise the dumbell rather than other parts of your arm. Focus harder on your workout rather than the cute girl on the treadmil machine next time.

#11 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

I think with weight training it is always best to just lift the weight until you can no longer lift it anymore, recover from soreness then *repeat *repeat

#12 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Guys, without opening a new thread for this (sorry for kinda trying to hijack this oen), I have a different problem concerning the same area but i've added some more red to where my problem of extreme
tension is

Posted Image

So basically the areas I marked in red are the ones I get extreme tension in, much faster than I used to before.
Now when I'm making an omelette an stirring the eggs in a bowl manually, the red marked area gets very tense after just 20 seconds of work, and stays that way for like 10-30 minutes.

I recently started hitting the gym and noticed that i am much weaker in all exercises that need me to use the red marked areas of my hands, thus i can't lift heavy weights nearly as much as after the first or second rep my hands get SOOOO tense, they aren't spasming just super tense. Am pretty worried, I think it's Spasticity or something, but I am really hope that it's been induced by my abuse of benzodiazepines a few years ago, could it be that?

#13 Victor

• 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

One of the most essential aspects in weight training is recovery. DO NOT rely on supplements such as " glutamine & BCAAs"... for the love of god please don't.

You DO NOT need those supplements for optimal recovery, especially if your current financial state is not fantastic.

You should develop a split around your current knowledge in relation to your level of fatigue So ask yourself: How long has it taken me to fully recover? What parts of my body seem to be the weakest and need the most recovery time? How do i feel mentally? etc.

By the sounds of it, you are experiencing some intense delayed muscle soreness. REST. Only train that body part.. and not to failure, once a week until you are finding improvements.

Look into progressive overload for optimal results in that respect.

#14 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

One of the most essential aspects in weight training is recovery. DO NOT rely on supplements such as " glutamine & BCAAs"... for the love of god please don't.

You DO NOT need those supplements for optimal recovery, especially if your current financial state is not fantastic.

You should develop a split around your current knowledge in relation to your level of fatigue So ask yourself: How long has it taken me to fully recover? What parts of my body seem to be the weakest and need the most recovery time? How do i feel mentally? etc.

By the sounds of it, you are experiencing some intense delayed muscle soreness. REST. Only train that body part.. and not to failure, once a week until you are finding improvements.

Look into progressive overload for optimal results in that respect.

I always thought that the more you hurt the better you did. I looked up progressive overload and all I could see was increasing weight and decreasing rest etc, is there more to it?

I would do super sets and all kinds of things 5 days a week at one stage. Then I seen that a really brutal session once per week gave me the best results.

and yes the supplements are not worth spending money on unless you have a lot of cash to spare.
Creatine is about the only good sup. Cheap whey is good too.

Edited by Adamzski, 02 June 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#15 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

You'll live.
Weight training is brutal even just a few reps if you ain't used to it. Always start a new movement with an empty bar, even if you want more. You learn to control the weight through the stages of movement, most strict movements will only effect a thin strip of muscle but the effect is felt around the whole area. If it hurts then stop, you'll do more harm than good. With alot more experience you learn to define pain, pump, hurt, damage, disabled. Damage is fine if you let it repair enough, sprains and dislocations are quite serious and may need hospital help! Listen for body noise, if in doubt leave it out(you're only competing against yourself?) No more than 30-45 minuite sessions for the first year unless you're fannying around alot! Wait until your second or third session before adding weight to the bar. Keep to two sets/movement and just add a new movement every time you feel you can. Compound movements are best if you have the room. You may find it better to do a few months circuit training before setting about wieghts properly. It will feel hard if you have never done it before, the few months training will just about get you on the first run of the ladder. If you are sore still just do some gentle stretching and don't traing near that area unless you know how to avoid load transferal. Elbows, arm pits, knees and neck can be delicate areas. As you get seasoned the front deltoid can get over used and the hands will need extra training to allow you to finish your workouts. Results are 80% diet! 100% effort is needed to aim for a PB in a choosen movement only do this once every 6 weeks for that movement the other weeks don't go silly on that movememt, train too hard inbetween and you risk going stale, train the weak spots first (your good parts will look after their own). After about 9-18 months have a month or three off! You can do cardio or stretching, just have a layoff. You'll see what I mean when you go back. Remember its one of the most brutal ways to work the body, you'll get internal scar tissue if you train with a Zinc deficiency! Warm up EVERY time, cool down, limber before action. Be aware that your muscle cells will be highly insulin sensitive for 30 minutes post workout and still insulin sensitive for an hourer or so. Don't wait to eat protien in this time, Gelatine makes the profile whole and I highly recommend Silica for speedy growth. If you keep getting colds you'll be running out of Vitamin C, Zinc, E, Selenium, L-Cystine(works wonders). Double dosing works but as soon as you don't feel right back off, eat regularly , D3 can aid an appetite for vegetables. There's different types of training like stability, core, explosive, baulking, endurance, sport pacific, hardcore, power, super strict, informal, pyramids, isometric, formal, and many variations that all have there benefits. Most are totally intense(that releases the hormones) and so need careful focus, respect, jugment to be even more effective. Visualisation is a common tool used to inhance workout strategy, train with a spotter, they help you when you need help. I like training on my own, but it can be highly dangerous if you break something!!!
If you are a natural active type then things can go quicker for you, just remember to warmup before you phsyc out the equipment. It's your body, the muscle cell can usually out perform the nerves six times over so get your minerals. Learn the equipmemt, grips, stances, please always start a new movement with an empty bar. Results are 80% diet. Joints can be trained, so can most parts!

Edited by Multivitz, 17 December 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#16 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

Nearly forgot, don't go past your pump, if a movement is not making it pump have a stretch and try something else for the area or even do a different body part. I prefer freestyle, and I NEVER compete against another. I only compete against myself! Don't feel small, walking about whilst tensing up all day is fine, don't do it when you're sore!!
Blisters=Zinc deficiency. Spots are Zinc, Molybdenum , Vitamins?, Omega oils. Sexdrive low=Zinc, L-Histidine(rice more often), E, D3?
A little premature? Try L-Methionine. Don't go mad with the Amino acids they need loads of vitamins to get used.
Magnesium is the wire inside your nerves, your muscle fibres out work the nerves 6-1 look after your mental health. Psychotic thoughts mean you are low in salts, try Magnesium, there's lots of others to check out the symptoms you may be suprised. Cramps=low in salts like MAGNESIUM. Cramps hurt and will tear the tissues, breaking nerve fibres (rebuild that area carefully). Poor skin=poor Liver. Holding tension resticts blood and can weaken muscle if you ain't man enough! Leave the gym feeling happy:)
Thats enough to be getting on with. Can't straighten arms lol

Edited by Multivitz, 17 December 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#17 BARS

• 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

it is possible to be severe tendon soreness. If this training session was the first one after long time of inactivity, aside from the expected muscle sorenes, it is possible the tendons to be so stressed that you couldnt straight your arm, and it can be very, very painfull. I've experienced this twice. If it's that the case, here is a good news - soon you wont feel anything like that.

#18 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

Soreness in that area is most likely due to you doing some pulling-type exercise such as cable pulldown or row with a less than optimal grip. You can probably feel the irritation while doing it, as well.

Try using a different type of handle for those exercises, or doing a similar exercise with some other device - go with what feels good for you. Also, warm up those muscles with a couple of light sets before the actual work.   

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:47 AM

If I had an niggling elbow injury (again) I'd turn to...
Photobiomodulation - I'd shine my infrared light on it for about 20 minutes a day.
PEMF - I'd administer a healing frequency to the joint with my PEMF device.
And BPC-157, which I did an overview of, here...

93541919014d12ac29c456a64ffd144c.jpg

Listen: 8 Tips for a Pain-Free Elbow - Quick Fixes for Strains or Sprains

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injury, gym

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users