- - - - -

Can you lift weights every day?

weightlifting

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

I've been lifting weights every other day. If I did it every day, would it be too much?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Depends entirely on what you're doing, how you're doing it, and why you're doing it....but unless you're a competitive athlete, the answer is probably "yeah, but why would you?".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

I deal with physical and other limitations that effect the amount and type of exercise I can do. I am trying to get my strength and fitness back. I can lift weights and my building has a weight room. I've been lifting weights every other day for about eight to eleven minutes. I don't do it to exhaustion and I do it more quickly than most because it keeps me from getting too sore. I'm lifting fairly light weights. I used to have to do this every other day because I would get too sore to do it every day. I'm feeling better lately so I'm thinking of increasing it to every day to become more fit. Other than that I swim lightly but I find the cold water fatiguing. I was thinking something land-based would be better.

Edited by Luminosity, 18 September 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yes you can increase the frequency of training - it's also one way to increase the demand on your muscles and therefore induce gains. You could start first week 2 days on, 1 day off next week 3 days on 1 off etc. so there would be some progression. But since your session only lasts "about eight to eleven minutes" you could aswell start doing it everyday since you can't possibly overtrain anything in that time.

#5 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

Thanks.

#6 Shelton

• 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

Yes, but only light weight dumbells. :sad:

#7 DonShaw

• 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

I've been lifting weights every other day. If I did it every day, would it be too much?

Chances are yes, every day is probably too much. It really depends on what level of intensity you are training with. It's good to let your body get the rest it needs to recover from the weight lifting sessions. Generally, it's a good idea to take at least 1-2 days off per week or at the very least make 1-2 days a week very light, low-intensity days.

#8 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

I've tried training nearly seven days a week before, and I must say you will get tired in the long run. It's better to keep it like five days a week.
  • like x 1

#9 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Of course you can - in the simplest case if you spread the same amount of weightlifting over 6 days instead of 3, there is no reason why you should worry about overtraining.

I think a better question would be - could it be good for health or lifespan to lift weights every day.

I think the answer might be yes. It is well-known that a resistance training session has beneficial effects on metabolism for many hours afterwards. If you don't lift weights daily, you are going to miss out on these effects on the non-training days.

For example, resistance training has strong anti-inflammatory effects lasting throughout the rest of the day. I have an auto-inflammatory condition that was not controlled by medication for a couple of years before diagnosis. During this time, I noticed that if I skipped even one day of resistance training, I would start feeling much worse. Granted, most people don't have frank autoimmune conditions, yet chronic low grade inflammation is still thought to play a role in aging, and any intervention that reduces it should reduce the deleterious health effects of aging itself.

Edited by viveutvivas, 30 September 2012 - 05:05 PM.

• like x 1

#10 Buzzing Health

• 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

I life weights daily and have for the last four years or so one thing I would recommend is butter and fish oil which minimizes any damage to joints etc

#11 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

You mention 8-11 minutes of light weightlifting every other day. I see no rerason at all to do 8-11 minutes of lifting every day. You should rather increase the intensity of your training (moving more total weight during your workout, increasing the weights, or both) and consider making it 30 minutes every second day. Muscle grows at rest, so the rest days are essential for progress.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#12 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Muscle grows at rest, so the rest days are essential for progress.

I don't think this is true, unless you work out every muscle every time. If you only work out one or two body parts a day, as in many programs, the ones you don't work put will get plenty of days of rest.

#13 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Muscle grows at rest, so the rest days are essential for progress.

I don't think this is true, unless you work out every muscle every time. If you only work out one or two body parts a day, as in many programs, the ones you don't work put will get plenty of days of rest.

This is of course true, but the original poster didn't provide enough information. Also, overtraining is a real issue when people get older and very good results can be had by training every bodypart hard once a week, or even more infrequently.

#14 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Jack Lalanne exercises everyday for 75+ years with weights. His routine ended up with 1h30m weights, 30m swim.

He was fit as a fiddle, died at the age of 96, but was mobile and healthy until his last year.

He also ate a very strict diet.

Point being it is possible, but not necessary. You can weightlift Mon, Tue, Fri, intensively and that will be enough. Just keep diet in check, cut calories until right BF %, and then eat maintenance. You can also try eating 20% over calories on workout days and 20% under on rest days, and 1 normal maintenance day.

Jack Lalanne always use to say you don't have to be him to be fit, he just did it to show how far one could go with a healthy diet and exercise without steroids.

For pete's sake the achievement this man has done is insane. At 62 he towed 13 boats with 76 people in them, while swimming handcuffed for a mile! He's use to do finger pushup's, and has the record for the most pushups which was 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes at the age of 42!

I recommend you look at his achievements for inspiration, but you don't have to be him to be healthy.

http://en.wikipedia....Lanne.27s_feats

#15 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

but doesn't weightlifting increase IGF1 and GH?

http://academic.sun....rdi 659 _2_.pdf

#16 GreenTeaFocus

• 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

Search of myth of overtraining on youtube. I dont believe that it's a myth but then again I'm not half as big as those guys are.

#17 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

but doesn't weightlifting increase IGF1 and GH?

http://academic.sun....rdi 659 _2_.pdf

Your point being?

#18 Victor

• 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

Absolutely.

Applying progressive overload, and combining this with a high frequency in training all body parts is the foundation of an optimal routine. Of course - deload days/weeks can be (and arguably should be applied).

Being on par with diet is essential, NOT so much "strict" in terms of what you eat, but how much. Being in a caloric surplus in order to fuel your endeavours is paramount.

It's such a subjective topic. I'd find a healthy balance of how often/intense you can train, identify your goals, be military to them, satisfy you macro/micronutrient intake and possibly more important than all of those, if you don't enjoy being so stringent over weights or being fit... don't be... there is alot more to life that lifting things up or running, people seem to think it's one extreme or the other these days.

#19 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

Lifting weights everyday didn't work out for me, personally.

#20 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

It depends entirely on your age, goals, and physical state of health. If your body is able to recover sufficiently on a daily basis then you will make progress. Recovery/Adaptation is the other side of the coin and you need both or else you'll likely get stuck in a routine with a lot of pain and little gain.

It sounds like what you're trying to accomplish is get healthier so maybe look at 2 days a week of good weight workouts and do another 2 of cardiovascular/core exercises and see how that goes.

In my 20s I did heavy weights 6 days a week. That worked well for me at the time and met my goals as a young'in.

In my 40's I now do moderate weights 3 days a week and supplement that with running and bodyweight/functional exercises in between. I now have to consider making my joints last for another 30 years of exercise :)

Match your routine to your goals!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PatrickM500, 05 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#21 lazarian

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd slowly increase, but make sure that you have resting days, your body needs them!

#22 LFA

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

The general consensus in the hardcore weightlifting comunity is that the muscle needs 48 hours of rest before it should be worked out again. Therefore, whether or not you can lift every day depends on the routine - if doing the same exercises or working the same muscle groups day after day, the answer is no. If the schedule allows 48 hours of rest, OK.

For example, when I was younger I would lift weights twice a day. I primarily did isolation exsercises which only focused on one muscle or set of muscles, but it was still designed so the individual muscles or muscle groups got 48 hours of rest before they were worked out again. For example - Monday am-biceps, Monday pm-quads. Tuesday am-triceps, Tuesday pm-back. Wednesday am-chest & shoulders, Wednesday pm-calves & hamstrings. Thursday-repeat.

Needless to say, after 8 years of that I was built like a tank and had to get all of my clothes custom made.

#23 adonis

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

only read post #1 - but if you are asking such a question it's somewhat obvious you aren't too knowledgeable in the training section which likely means you are nowhere close to over exerting yourself. With that said, most people work out hard and need time off to rest their bodies. Also people have lives and don't have time to visit the gym daily. BUT, if you are of a high level experience and you can feel your body and it's limits, you can strength train daily. This is a common Russian technique. I used to deadlift, EVERY single day. maybe 1-2 days off per month. 2 sets of five, heavy, very controlled, and progressive daily until a peak, then day off and start cycle over a couple lbs higher than the prior cycle. worked great imo

#24 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

I deal with physical and other limitations that effect the amount and type of exercise I can do. I am trying to get my strength and fitness back. I can lift weights and my building has a weight room. I've been lifting weights every other day for about eight to eleven minutes. I don't do it to exhaustion and I do it more quickly than most because it keeps me from getting too sore. I'm lifting fairly light weights. I used to have to do this every other day because I would get too sore to do it every day. I'm feeling better lately so I'm thinking of increasing it to every day to become more fit. Other than that I swim lightly but I find the cold water fatiguing. I was thinking something land-based would be better.

My strength skyrocketed by doing this training program for a week: http://well.blogs.ny...e-workout/?_r=0.

Can you lift weights every day?
You should allow your body to completely regenerate, so yes and no. My physiotherapist recommended that I took one day off every week to "allow the body to build new fibres and so on ".

Edited by Deep Thought, 21 November 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#25 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Probably not because I take 200 mcg of clenbuterol and 25 mg of clomid to train everyday. So, its probably not optimal in your case if your all natural.
  • dislike x 2

#26 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Protein synthesis is elevated for 36 hours following a workout. You can train every 36 hours (makes for a weird training schedule). Or you can train every 48 hours and train at the same time of day every time.

Tons of research if you google on HST (hypertrophy specific traing). Completely based on studies. Interesting read.

#27 Brainy

• 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

The general consensus in the hardcore weightlifting comunity is that the muscle needs 48 hours of rest before it should be worked out again. Therefore, whether or not you can lift every day depends on the routine - if doing the same exercises or working the same muscle groups day after day, the answer is no. If the schedule allows 48 hours of rest, OK.

For example, when I was younger I would lift weights twice a day. I primarily did isolation exsercises which only focused on one muscle or set of muscles, but it was still designed so the individual muscles or muscle groups got 48 hours of rest before they were worked out again. For example - Monday am-biceps, Monday pm-quads. Tuesday am-triceps, Tuesday pm-back. Wednesday am-chest & shoulders, Wednesday pm-calves & hamstrings. Thursday-repeat.

Needless to say, after 8 years of that I was built like a tank and had to get all of my clothes custom made.

totally agree :) i was on a similar workout 3 split twice a week and 1 day of rest. I got so much gain it was crazy. I think this is the best method. At some point i experimented with 2 day split all week and 1 day off so: Monday half of the body - tuesday the other half than repeat all week and take sunday off. It was pretty insane and i got a little bit overtrain cuz i wasn't sleeping and eating enough. It all comes down to rest and diet. If you train like a tank, you need to eat and sleep like it and you will be fine. look up this guy on youtube: Elliot Hulse, he is one of my mentor for bodybuilding (along with arnold shwarzenegger... but arnold doesnt have a youtube channel :-D ) Also a great book is the encyclopedia of bodybuilding by Arnold Shwarzengger. This is a bible that is worth is weight in gold :)

Cheers

#28 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

There is no such thing as overtraining, where it becomes a bad idea... but there are bad ways to train, and if you do them often, it is, of course, bad. One should never do the same thing too often, because of the body's natural mechanisms of homeostatis. As with noots or medications, if the same stimulus is applied often enough, the body will adjust and that will become the new norm in terms of metabolic processes and overall regulation. Hormones will shift and different genetic pathways befome activated, and this can be either a good or a bad thing.

I work out every day, without fail, even if it is just to do a burpee or three. Just get the heart rate up, feel a little blood get going. That's for the good things about homeostatis. My body gets used to working out every day, and that gives a positive effect on my overall metabolic rate. And then I switch it up at least once a week with a good hour of strength training, multiple sets and reps, progressively higher weight, the whole nine yards. And then get 8+ hours of rest. I wouldn't train hard to exaustion, every day, with the same routines and the same weight.

Edited by Jeoshua, 14 January 2014 - 02:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 Sinter

• 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

I would say it depends on intensity of your workout. Thats the key factor.

High intesnsity = longer breaks for recovery

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weightlifting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users