Photo

Turmeric as a teeth whitener? Really?

turmeric teeth whitening

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

The taste is so mild that I wonder how it ever became a spice. I've used turmeric and curcumin, and I'd say there's not much difference except that turmeric might work slightly better. I get several shades of whitening that doesn't last more than a few cups of coffee or tea. It needs something more, something to coat the teeth.

#32 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I went to the dentist for a scheduled cleaning this morning and they were astounded, not only by how much whiter my teeth were, but at how much healthier my gums were. The cleaning took no time at all.

#33 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I went to the dentist for a scheduled cleaning this morning and they were astounded, not only by how much whiter my teeth were, but at how much healthier my gums were. The cleaning took no time at all.

Someone should make a gum:
Gum Base, Xylitol, Turmeric, Calcium Lactate
(no other sweeteners, and no titanium dioxide please).
Longecity Gum?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

The taste of plain turmeric could be unpleasant to some people. They have ginger ale and ginger snaps. They don't have turmeric ale and turmeric snaps. Fresh turmeric, also called olena, and other names, is in season where I live and for the next several months. It looks like a smaller, more ridged, ginger root. You might find it where ethnic groceries or herbs are sold. I saw it in Whole Foods where I live but it was grown and used the by native people here so your location may vary.

#35 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

http://www.foodista....s.adluj75mybiaa

http://caloriecount....-recipe-r617830

Worth a try ... :)

#36 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

I guess I stand corrected but those don't seem to be popular foods.

Turmeric rice is not bad. It is also used in curries.

#37 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Getting back on course ... the turmeric does seem to do something with calculus on my teeth. I have one lower incisor that is a little recessed from the line of others, and invariably no matter how much I brush or floss each day, there's always a small line of calculus (or tartar) on the backside of the tooth next to where the two adjoining teeth sit. The small line of tartar has seemed to disappear since I've been brushing with turmeric once every other day.

#38 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Tonight was one of my turmeric brushings. After I was finished, I checked my teeth again, and noticed the small buildup of tartar mentioned previously above was now completely gone.

I decided to do a little publication research, and found this paper explaining the possible cause of action for all of this. It may also explain why the whitening results seem to be somewhat temporary a day or so later after brushing, as the bacteria recolonize on the surface afterwards.

Full paper: Attached File  Curcumin suppresses Streptococcus mutans adherence.pdf   376.19KB   12 downloads

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22009290

Abstract

Streptococcus mutans is the key causative agent of caries and infective endocarditis. The first step in biofilm development and the consequent initiation of further disease is bacterial adherence to host cell surfaces. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the inhibitory effect of curcumin on S. mutans adherence to extracellular matrices and tooth surfaces. The effect of curcumin on the ability of S. mutans to adhere to glass surfaces coated with collagen and fibronectin was tested in order to determine whether the decrease of the bacterial adhesion by curcumin is achieved by hindering the bacteria in adhering to collagen and/or fibronectin. Also, human teeth inoculated with S. mutans were treated with curcumin in vitro in order to assess the relevance of the anti-adhesive effect to oral conditions in vivo. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) at which curcumin completely inhibited bacterial growth was 128 μg/mL. The addition of curcumin below the MIC diminished bacterial adherence onto both collagen- and fibronectin-coated glass surfaces and human tooth surfaces. It appears that the anti-adhesive effect of curcumin against S. mutans is mediated through collagen and fibronectin.
  • like x 4

#39 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

This did nothing for me. I just have a yellow toothbrush now. But I would have been very surprised if it did work.

In terms of the health of my teeth, they are very good. I brush and floss regularly and use mouthwash. From the post above mine, removing bacteria won't make my teeth any whiter, and I have no tartar at all. My teeth are yellow and brown (especially at the edges) from staining. I drink a lot of tea and red wine, and over time these stains build up. The toothbrush doesn't remove them (not abrasive enough) and whitening toothpastes do nothing. It's not that the teeth aren't white, it's that they have surface stains on them.

I will see the hygienist for a cleaning in a couple of months (looooong overdue, this is the worst my teeth have ever been stained). Afterwards I might try the turmeric again, but I would still be doubtful. What is the actual mechanism of action? It doesn't remove stains, I've tested that. But after my stains have been removed by the hygienist, the only thing stopping my teeth from being very white will be the natural yellow colour of my dentine and thickness/translucency of my enamel allowing the dentine to show through. I doubt turmeric will make my dentine less yellow or make my enamel thicker.

#40 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

This did nothing for me. I just have a yellow toothbrush now. But I would have been very surprised if it did work.

In terms of the health of my teeth, they are very good. I brush and floss regularly and use mouthwash. From the post above mine, removing bacteria won't make my teeth any whiter, and I have no tartar at all. My teeth are yellow and brown (especially at the edges) from staining. I drink a lot of tea and red wine, and over time these stains build up. The toothbrush doesn't remove them (not abrasive enough) and whitening toothpastes do nothing. It's not that the teeth aren't white, it's that they have surface stains on them.

I will see the hygienist for a cleaning in a couple of months (looooong overdue, this is the worst my teeth have ever been stained). Afterwards I might try the turmeric again, but I would still be doubtful. What is the actual mechanism of action? It doesn't remove stains, I've tested that. But after my stains have been removed by the hygienist, the only thing stopping my teeth from being very white will be the natural yellow colour of my dentine and thickness/translucency of my enamel allowing the dentine to show through. I doubt turmeric will make my dentine less yellow or make my enamel thicker.

IME this works better for tannin staining
http://www.crunchybe...ivated-charcoal

#41 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the tip. Crunchy Betty is a trip. I think I'll try activated charcoal first because I have tannin stains.

I can't help thinking there must be some kind of ultrasonic or laser device that will separate the stains from the teeth harmlessly and float them away.

#42 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

turmeric is a dangerous root..I have ruined many pairs of pants and shirts due to the nature of the powder

#43 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

It stains!

#44 Pirate

• 147 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Finally tried it. Powder on toothpaste. First go didn't work. I didn't use enough. 2nd and 3rd goes worked a treat. I was much more liberal with the powder, sticking the whole toothbrush into the jar and then putting brush straight in my mouth before all the excess could fall off. My teeth were deep yellow and now they are only slightly yellow.

#45 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

IME this works better for tannin staining
http://www.crunchybe...ivated-charcoal

I tried activated carbon mixed with turmeric, and gave my teeth a greenish tinge. As for cleaning, I'd say turmeric by itself is better.

#46 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've tried both now. Bought some activated charcoal specially. Neither made any immediate effect. My teeth have become whiter since, but I changed toothpaste and cut tea out. I think the last thing is what made the biggest difference. Black tea was just continually topping up the stains, and adding stains to the stains, which then readily attract more stains, and so on. Without it, brushing actually makes a difference over about a week. The worst brown stains remain at the edges where the brush struggles to reach; I think the dentist will have to remove those. I've found coffee stains teeth much less, and green tea less than black tea, though any tea is bad because of the tannins.

#47 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Which sucks because I love tea! It's also good for some health issues, but brown teeth . . . not attractive.

#48 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Will try. How much time should we brush our teeth with for optimal effect?

I've tried both now. Bought some activated charcoal specially.

UGHHHHHH I remember trying activated charcoal for teeth whitening, not only it didn't work, it also darkened my mouth and chunks were stuck between teeth.

#49 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Just tried it, I'm very impressed by the results, my teeth were quite very yellow and after 5 mins of heavy brushing the result was quite amazing, it turned to very yellow to a bit yellow, it's much lighter than before! And this is only the first time, I guess something is working, right now I can feel a kind of reaction on my teeth, it's likely doing something.
I will definetely keep doing this.
oh and btw my toothbrush has gone totally yellow now! :laugh:

#50 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Tried it and my teeth seems to be a few shades whiter. Plus I have this gingery feel in my mouth and my teeth feel very smooth like when one uses vitamin K for a while. Probably works best if you repeat it a few more times.

#51 tydi

• 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

This is something i will have to attempt, and really look into, very exciting to see the results though, what an improvement! :-D

#52 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

I've tried both now. Bought some activated charcoal specially. Neither made any immediate effect. My teeth have become whiter since, but I changed toothpaste and cut tea out. I think the last thing is what made the biggest difference. Black tea was just continually topping up the stains, and adding stains to the stains, which then readily attract more stains, and so on. Without it, brushing actually makes a difference over about a week. The worst brown stains remain at the edges where the brush struggles to reach; I think the dentist will have to remove those. I've found coffee stains teeth much less, and green tea less than black tea, though any tea is bad because of the tannins.

Why are tannins bad??

O yes, and thanks for this idea, will defo try this at home!!

#53 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

That's what it tastes like.

#54 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

AH bitter, no problem.

BTW this is seriously not an April's fools day, isn't it??

#55 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

You made me look at the OP posting date. Not as far as I know, it isn't. There is a mustard toothpaste sold by Vermont Country Store or Lehman's Non Electric Catalog (Amish) so that would have turmeric in it. You might prefer peelu fibers or xylitol. I have gotten pure versions of both from Swanson's but you can also get premade products with them in it. They will help keep your teeth cleaner. I have learned to tolerate bitter tastes but a lot of other people haven't.

Edited by Luminosity, 01 August 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#56 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Ordered some Organic Iherb Turmeric yesterday; will try this out :)

#57 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've been washing my teeth with turmeric + chewing turmeric for about two weeks now, I don't see any results. I have taken a picture of my teeth and will post pre-post pictures in two weeks (I will use turmeric until then).

#58 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

I've been washing my teeth with turmeric + chewing turmeric for about two weeks now, I don't see any results. I have taken a picture of my teeth and will post pre-post pictures in two weeks (I will use turmeric until then).

What do you mean washing? You need to brush with the powder.

#59 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yes, I did exactly this.

#60 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Another article on the inhibition of dental biofilm using an oil extract from Curcumin: Essential Oil of Curcuma longa Inhibits Streptococcus mutans Biofilm Formation. Journal of Food Science
Volume 76, Issue 9, Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011

Abstract: Curcuma longa (C. longa) has been used as a spice in foods and as an antimicrobial in Oriental medicine. In this study, we evaluated the inhibitory effects of an essential oil isolated from C. longa on the cariogenic properties of Streptococcus mutans (S. mutans), which is an important bacterium in dental plaque and dental caries formation. First, the inhibitory effects of C. longa essential oil on the growth and acid production of S. mutans were tested. Next, the effect of C. longa essential oil on adhesion to saliva-coated hydroxyapatite beads (S-HAs) was investigated. C. longa essential oil inhibited the growth and acid production of S. mutans at concentrations from 0.5 to 4 mg/mL. The essential oil also exhibited significant inhibition of S. mutans adherence to S-HAs at concentrations higher than 0.5 mg/mL. S. mutans biofilm formation was determined by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and safranin staining. The essential oil of C. longa inhibited the formation of S. mutans biofilms at concentrations higher than 0.5 mg/mL. The components of C. longa essential oil were then analyzed by GC and GC-MS, and the major components were α-turmerone (35.59%), germacrone (19.02%), α-zingiberene (8.74%), αr-turmerone (6.31%), trans-β-elemenone (5.65%), curlone (5.45%), and β-sesquiphellandrene (4.73%). These results suggest that C. longa may inhibit the cariogenic properties of S. mutans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users