Sluggish cognitive tempo disorder (SCT)

anyone here have it?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I just recently found out about this disorder. Does anyone here have it? I haven't been able to find any information that is of real value, besides a few criterias. Can someone here provide us with some more knowledge abou the disorder please?

Wiki- article

Utube seminar

#2 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

That's really interesting. Never heard of this before, and it sounds like I might be suffering from this condition, here's my thread in which I'm trying to work this problem out. http://www.longecity...and-depression/

I'll be very interested to see developments here.

The guy in the Youtube video also appears to be extremely similar to me in terms of symptoms, not just what he is saying, but even the way he acts and speaks look similar to me in some ways. This is really interesting for me, thanks for posting, Brainfogged.

Edited by Templanoid, 29 October 2012 - 09:51 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here is the Utube seminar.

The above link was a personal anecdote from utube but I guess I copied the wrong link. Too late to edit the post.

#4 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing the seminar - once again, I feel like SCT is very accurate in describingh me. I don't have some of the key symptoms that ADD/ADHD people have, and the key symptoms of SCT are all that I can relate to. I really hope there are more people with SCT who come out so we can begin experimenting and seeing what kind of nootropics and supplements might work best for the likes of us.

Edited by Mind, 05 September 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#5 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

You realize that most people can identify with this 'disorder' since its so vague. Also its not recognized by the ICD and DSM, nor are there known causes (and that much research) on it. Just my two cents, but probably none of you have this even if its a real disorder.
  • like x 3
  • Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1

#6 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

If you are brain fogged you can have this disorder...

#7 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Cerebrolysin. I most definitely have this disorder (as actually professionally diagnosed, by one of the top psychiatric testers in my city) and I have great hope that Cerebrolysin will bring me lots of help. I was born with my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck, depriving me of oxygen (just a little bit, not sure if this actually affected anything but I consider it as a possibility). I've always been seen as extremely bright, however my thoughts are very disorganized and I have some serious ADHD-PI. I've had five concussions as well, which I believe certainly adds to the issues. I've got Cerebrolysin stored in my fridge right now, and a good array of supplements I'm going to take along-side it to facilitate neuronal growth. Just waiting on syringes and the other half of my Cere order, and I'll begin. Considering SCT is a pretty shitty thing to have, I'll update this thread with my progress after I've begun to let you all know if it works.

#8 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Cerebrolysin. I most definitely have this disorder (as actually professionally diagnosed, by one of the top psychiatric testers in my city) and I have great hope that Cerebrolysin will bring me lots of help. I was born with my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck, depriving me of oxygen (just a little bit, not sure if this actually affected anything but I consider it as a possibility). I've always been seen as extremely bright, however my thoughts are very disorganized and I have some serious ADHD-PI. I've had five concussions as well, which I believe certainly adds to the issues. I've got Cerebrolysin stored in my fridge right now, and a good array of supplements I'm going to take along-side it to facilitate neuronal growth. Just waiting on syringes and the other half of my Cere order, and I'll begin. Considering SCT is a pretty shitty thing to have, I'll update this thread with my progress after I've begun to let you all know if it works.

Keep us updated and hope the cere works.

Note for you all. ADHD-pi and SCT are the same disorder except the one doesn't involve hyperactivity but hypoactivity. They have been categorized in the same box but a new criterion is needed because they seem to be different types of syndromes.

#9 Batou

• 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm pretty certain I've got SCT, I seem to have most of the symptoms. I'm constantly daydreaming, easily mentally fatigued, passive, can be easily confused etc.

I've been using some nootropic blend called Cognitex with neuroprotection complex, has Alpha GPC, vinpocetine, Phosphatidylserine, Uridine, Ashwagandha plus other stuff. I've only been using it over the past couple of days and it seems to be helping me to stay mentally energized. Although it's too early to be sure, could just be a placebo and I'm not sure which of the ingredients are actually helping if they are.

I've tried adrafinil which helped me stay focused on an assignment for probably about 3 hours, when 20 minutes is my normal limit. I would have liked to but didn't persist with it because I was paranoid about it increasing liver enzyme levels and it's impossible to get modafinil in my country without a prescription.

Tried noopept, that seemed pretty useless at reliving symptoms. Although using 20mg for 2 weeks may not have been the best trial to do it justice. Although the cognitive functions that noopept and other racetams are purpoted to improve aren't the same cognitive functions someone with SCT is impaired in I believe.

Barkley suggested that low norepinephrine may be implicated. So possibly strattera could be effective but since SCT is not recognized in any manuals you can't get diagnosed with it, putting any prescription medication out of the question, unless you're diagnosed with ADHD.

#10 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

If Norepinephrine is a problem (which really makes sense) then I recommend green tea. I keep bucketting the stuff and it really helps, I even feel more refreshed when I sleep due to this.

#11 Batou

• 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'll have to give that a try, it would have to be decaffeinated green tea though, otherwise I'll get really edgy bucketting it down. Although does decaffeinated still boost norepinephrine levels?

Ginkgo biloba should help too but I'm not sure how much you'd need to take to get any effect.

I was thinking of trying an EEG device from like emotiv or neurosky but that technology doesn't seem to have advanced enough to be useful yet.

#12 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Green tea contains catechins which in turn prevents norepinephrine from hydrolizing which means that it is upregulated.

So I really can't answer your question, which is if catechins still are present after processing green tea to remove it's caffeine...?
  • Informative x 1

#13 Pirate

• 147 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

You realize that most people can identify with this 'disorder' since its so vague. Also its not recognized by the ICD and DSM, nor are there known causes (and that much research) on it. Just my two cents, but probably none of you have this even if its a real disorder.

There's a strong push to add it to the next Dsm-Iv (the psychologist handbook) as a suborder of ADHD. But there I also a strong understanding of the problem in psychological circles that SCI is on fact it's own disorder.

Go to www.addforum.com if you want more info about case studies and the like. They have a whole forum devoted to it.

One of the main symptoms of SCI seems to be sleep problems. Because of this I actually wonder if SCI is primarily a sleep deprivation disorder (remember you don't have to have less then 8 hrs sleep to be sleep deprived). It would explain why it is comorbid with so many other disorders like ADHD, narcolepsy, hypoxia etc.

#14 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

The symptoms are so general, that I fail to see how is this alleged condition any different from plain old below average IQ?

Edit: just checked the definitions of dopey on google:

1. Dazed or lethargic, as if drugged. 2. Stupid; doltish: a dopey kid. 3. Silly; foolish: a dopey answer.

Edited by NDM, 01 November 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#15 Batou

• 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

The symptoms are so general, that I fail to see how is this alleged condition any different from plain old below average IQ?

1. Dazed or lethargic, as if drugged. 2. Stupid; doltish: a dopey kid. 3. Silly; foolish: a dopey answer.

Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT):
  • Daydreaming excessively
  • Trouble staying alert in boring situations
  • Easily confused
  • Spacey; Mind seems to be elsewhere
  • Stares a lot
  • More Tired than others
  • Underactive, less energy than others
  • Slow moving
  • Doesn’t seem to process information as quickly or accurately as others
  • Apathetic or withdrawn; less engaged in activities; Gets lost in thought
  • Slow to complete tasks; needs more time than others
  • Lacks initiative to complete work or effort fades quickly
They seem like distinct symptoms from just low IQ, of course there may be overlap. Working memory is obviously impaired in those with SCT as it is in people with ADHD.

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what you call it. I've lived with most of these symptoms my entire life, all I care about is a cure or as close as I can find to one.
  • like x 1

#16 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

• Easily confused
  • Stares a lot
  • More Tired than others
  • Slow moving
They seem like distinct symptoms from just low IQ, of course there may be overlap. Working memory is obviously impaired in those with SCT as it is in people with ADHD.

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what you call it. I've lived with most of these symptoms my entire life, all I care about is a cure or as close as I can find to one.

Yeah. This is why I'm thinking Cerebrolysin will help, as Cerebrolysin seems to be the only nootropic that induces permanent, non-medicine dependent changes in the brain (through obvious increases in NGF/BDNF, as well as providing all the key amino acids necessary for nerve growth directly to the brain.) I've been tested to have an IQ of 142, but have severe ADHD-PI/SCT. When I was tested for ADHD, 3/5 categories had me in 98-99th percentile of intelligence, yet the last two categories placed me in about the 50th percentile. So these two categories were what implicated me in having extreme ADHD xD

I'm severely hoping that I can change this as well, as it's quite a hamper on quality of life to have such problems focusing/staying on tasks/thinking straight/really doing anything important.
  • Disagree x 2

#17 andyr300

• 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

I'm pretty sure I have had this problem for a long time. The only way that I can explain it is that it's extremely difficult to do the things that your average person can do. There's no inner energy. No spark or life behind typical actions. Everything is mechanical. Everything. I still struggle with the possibility that it may be depression but it's pretty difficult to get beyond that point when symptoms come and go. The feeling of not being able to comprehend your own thoughts is terrible.

Some supplements are helping but it's difficult to isolate exactly what gives improvement. I thought fish oil got rid of the symptoms initially, but it seems like a dose of protein powder for me helps (spaced out). Unfortunately it has all kinds of amino acids that may help. No specific way that I can see to isolate what is causing the improvements unless I spend beyond my means and buy each one.

#18 noopeptisgood

• 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I've found meditation and CDP-choline to help me feel less sluggish. I learned about this disorder a long time ago. And like you all I thought that I had it. But I came to the conclusion that I don't have the symptoms to such a degree as to be too far from the norm. Noopept seems to improve working memory which seems to make things I focus on more engaging. I'm finally content with a nootropic regimen.

#19 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

Have you guys thought about experimenting with high-dose SAM-e (1600mg/day)? Some commentators on this forum have said that, if taken long-term at high dose, it's a fairly reliable inducer of (hypo)manic behaviors (motivation, energy, speed, racing thoughts, eager to do challenging stuff)...which would seem phenomenally the very opposite of SCT.

See for example this discussion:

http://www.longecity...che;-desirable/

Edited by NDM, 02 November 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#20 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Have you guys thought about experimenting with high-dose SAM-e (1600mg/day)? Some commentators on this forum have said that, if taken long-term at high dose, it's a fairly reliable inducer of (hypo)manic behaviors (motivation, energy, speed, racing thoughts, eager to do challenging stuff)...which would seem phenomenally the very opposite of SCT.

hypomania isn't something you want to induce, speaking from experience. There are many ways to induce hypomania- SSRIs, Adderall, Piracetam, etc and it doesn't always lead to you doing challenging things. It may just lead to impulsivity, recklessness, crashing, etc. I heard AMP works well though for those with ADHD-PI so it may be useful for those with SCT. I used to think I belonged in this category but it seems to be very related to depression. I would first try to relieve that before moving forward.

#21 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

hypomania isn't something you want to induce, speaking from experience. There are many ways to induce hypomania- SSRIs, Adderall, Piracetam, etc and it doesn't always lead to you doing challenging things. It may just lead to impulsivity, recklessness, crashing, etc. I heard AMP works well though for those with ADHD-PI so it may be useful for those with SCT. I used to think I belonged in this category but it seems to be very related to depression. I would first try to relieve that before moving forward.

What do you mean by AMP? Are you suggesting to relieve depression before trying other things?

#22 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

What do you mean by AMP? Are you suggesting to relieve depression before trying other things?

Yes if you are depressed. AMP= Amphetamine but that's not really a healthy long term solution if you are depressed. If you are not depressed that's another story. When I'm depressed I am slow as hell and exhibit all symptoms of SCT. Take today for example, I took too much CDP choline and the whole day was spent reminiscing about how depressing my life is. I'm also way more forgetful, unmotivated, etc. When I'm on the right stack I'm much quicker, motivated, and I envision the future. Depression drains your energy and life.

#23 pheanix997

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:16 AM

• Easily confused
  • Stares a lot
  • More Tired than others
  • Slow moving

Yeah. This is why I'm thinking Cerebrolysin will help, as Cerebrolysin seems to be the only nootropic that induces permanent, non-medicine dependent changes in the brain (through obvious increases in NGF/BDNF, as well as providing all the key amino acids necessary for nerve growth directly to the brain.) I've been tested to have an IQ of 142, but have severe ADHD-PI/SCT. When I was tested for ADHD, 3/5 categories had me in 98-99th percentile of intelligence, yet the last two categories placed me in about the 50th percentile. So these two categories were what implicated me in having extreme ADHD xD

I'm severely hoping that I can change this as well, as it's quite a hamper on quality of life to have such problems focusing/staying on tasks/thinking straight/really doing anything important.

I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I've tested with an IQ of 115 and have pretty bad SCT. Not saying that's high, but I wouldn't want to see people fishing through these forums and then thinking that their problems might just because they have below avg. IQ.

Obviously SCT isn't being accepted a legitimate disorder yet, but it is real. If you go into the neuropsychiatric literature, there's often something fleetingly and briefly talked about, comparable to ADD, called an arousal disorder probably caused by deficit in the frontal lobes. Substantial attention is never paid to it as it's always talked about along side the OTHER frontal lobe disorder: ADD. 

Sct is similar to ADD . . . kind of same treatment . . . different thing.

From what I understand, it's mainly an arousal issue, with some executive functioning deficits thrown in here and there to some degree. ADD is mainly an executive functioning deficit issue, with some arousal issues to some degree. And no, SCT doesn't imply low IQ. What it implies is coming across as low IQ.

Similar to another poster above, I was also had the cord around my neck in the womb. 

Edited by pheanix997, 24 May 2015 - 03:21 AM.

#24 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have it as well, and have devoted a substantial amount of time to try to find some kind of treatment.

Here are the compounds I've tried:

DL-methylphenidate: About 25% improvement in symptoms, I would say. Extreme anxiety with prolonged use however.

Modafinil: About 25% improvement in symptoms as well, however, it improves a completely DIFFERENT set of symptoms than methylphenidate - it mainly helps with the fogginess and fatigue, but doesn't improve attention to any significant extent.

Combining 100 mg Modafinil with 18 mg Concerta did not improve symptoms to any extent, and I am loathe to raise Modafinil-levels when taking concerta as well.

Fasoracetam: About 20% improvements in symptoms. The least effective compound so far, even though it caused novelty-effect during the first two dosings.

Lisdexamphetamine: About 35% improvement in symptoms. Best so far, however - this may actually mainly be to what I call the "novelty-effect", every time I have had a break from dopaminergic drugs and then test a new one, this phenomenon occurs - I experience dramatically improved mood and productivity. I've experienced it at 30 mg, 40 mg, 50 mg and 60 mg's of Vyvanse. As you can see, there's a pattern here... What I'm experiencing is most likely not truly treatment of symptoms, but euphoria, which doesn't actually treat the symptoms - it just masks them.

Bupropion: 300 mg of Wellbutrin does very little, I would say it improves maybe 15% of the symptoms. The cholinergic side-effects also seem to be longer-lasting for me than the majority, and the rage-inducing effect is certainly not appealing. (seriously, I've never been so continously foul-mooded as during initial bupropion treatment). I'm actually on it right now, and the mood-effect have planed out, but the cholinergic fogginess and memory-problems are still there! Jesus...

Now remains trying Guanfacine (Intuniv) and Atomoxetine (strattera) - these two have been theorized by Dr. Russell Barkley to be more effective against SCT. They are of course the least dopaminergic as well.

Regarding unofficial treatments, I'm gravitating towards a few experimental compounds.

Metadoxine - Currently undergoing trials by an Israeli company called Alcobra. Phase III have sadly shown a very limited effect... it's one of the first studies to mention SCT and specifically aiming at the ADHD-PI crowd of patients though. Only a very select few patients had any improvements from Metadoxine - hopefully I'm one of them.

Pyritinol - A stereo-fuzion of two Vitamin B6-molecules, the fusion actually allows them to cross the blood-brain barrier and become psychoactive. I found reports from the early 2000's from ADHD-PI-ers who reported very much so improved symptoms while ingesting this drug. Apparently used to treat certain forms of cognitive decline and brain-damage in some European countries. What's especially interesting about this one, is that Vitamin B6 is actually half the components of Metadoxine! It's composed of a fusion of Pyridoxine (b6) and L-PGA, an amino-acid. Could the problem with MDX be that Alcobra can't see the forest because of all the threes?? Is it merely the Pyridoxine-part that improves symptoms? If so, Pyritinol might be more effective than Metadoxine.

AV-101 (4-CI-KYN) – kynurenic acid prodrug, potent selective nmda-antagonist. I have a hypothesis that ADHD and Schizophrenia exist on a completely separated axis - and in the middle are neurotypicals. I base this one the Kynurenic Acid Hypothesis of Schizophrenia, which combines the dopaminergic and Glutamatergic theories regarding the pathology of schizo. High KYNA and high dopamine have been reported among Schizo's, low KYNA and low dopaminerg activity have been reported among ADHD-ers. Many stimulants also trigger psychosis in Schizos, while they help ADHD-ers. The connection to me is CLEAR! KYNA is the bodies own exogenous NMDA-antagonist (and as you know, such compounds have been used in models of schizo, as they trigger hallucinations and cognitive blunting at certain doses) and Memantine is another compound which have reportedly been helpful in a subset of ADHD. AV-101 is an experimental anti-depressant which shows pro-cognitive and neuroprotective effects. Some theorize that it may succeed at blocking Glutamate excitotoxicity where Memantine failed - and with substantially less side-effects.

Alas... all of my research was based in me having ADHD, that doesn't appear to be correct... there's no telling if KYNA and NMDA-antagonism would help with SCT symptoms.

Now then... how the H*LL do I get a hold of a sample of Pyritinol?! Buying a whole bucket from Ceretropic is possible, but if it doesn't work, I will have paid quite a bit of money for a useless compound...

Anyone got any samples lying around?

• Informative x 1

#25 theCLK

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:54 AM

I'm becoming more and more interested in Neurofeedback + nutrition to deal with issues like this. I'm in this boat as well, or at least have been exhibiting the symptoms of it.

#26 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

I have it as well, and have devoted a substantial amount of time to try to find some kind of treatment.

Here are the compounds I've tried:

DL-methylphenidate: About 25% improvement in symptoms, I would say. Extreme anxiety with prolonged use however.

Modafinil: About 25% improvement in symptoms as well, however, it improves a completely DIFFERENT set of symptoms than methylphenidate - it mainly helps with the fogginess and fatigue, but doesn't improve attention to any significant extent.

Combining 100 mg Modafinil with 18 mg Concerta did not improve symptoms to any extent, and I am loathe to raise Modafinil-levels when taking concerta as well.

Fasoracetam: About 20% improvements in symptoms. The least effective compound so far, even though it caused novelty-effect during the first two dosings.

Lisdexamphetamine: About 35% improvement in symptoms. Best so far, however - this may actually mainly be to what I call the "novelty-effect", every time I have had a break from dopaminergic drugs and then test a new one, this phenomenon occurs - I experience dramatically improved mood and productivity. I've experienced it at 30 mg, 40 mg, 50 mg and 60 mg's of Vyvanse. As you can see, there's a pattern here... What I'm experiencing is most likely not truly treatment of symptoms, but euphoria, which doesn't actually treat the symptoms - it just masks them.

Bupropion: 300 mg of Wellbutrin does very little, I would say it improves maybe 15% of the symptoms. The cholinergic side-effects also seem to be longer-lasting for me than the majority, and the rage-inducing effect is certainly not appealing. (seriously, I've never been so continously foul-mooded as during initial bupropion treatment). I'm actually on it right now, and the mood-effect have planed out, but the cholinergic fogginess and memory-problems are still there! Jesus...

Now remains trying Guanfacine (Intuniv) and Atomoxetine (strattera) - these two have been theorized by Dr. Russell Barkley to be more effective against SCT. They are of course the least dopaminergic as well.

Regarding unofficial treatments, I'm gravitating towards a few experimental compounds.

Metadoxine - Currently undergoing trials by an Israeli company called Alcobra. Phase III have sadly shown a very limited effect... it's one of the first studies to mention SCT and specifically aiming at the ADHD-PI crowd of patients though. Only a very select few patients had any improvements from Metadoxine - hopefully I'm one of them.

Pyritinol - A stereo-fuzion of two Vitamin B6-molecules, the fusion actually allows them to cross the blood-brain barrier and become psychoactive. I found reports from the early 2000's from ADHD-PI-ers who reported very much so improved symptoms while ingesting this drug. Apparently used to treat certain forms of cognitive decline and brain-damage in some European countries. What's especially interesting about this one, is that Vitamin B6 is actually half the components of Metadoxine! It's composed of a fusion of Pyridoxine (b6) and L-PGA, an amino-acid. Could the problem with MDX be that Alcobra can't see the forest because of all the threes?? Is it merely the Pyridoxine-part that improves symptoms? If so, Pyritinol might be more effective than Metadoxine.

AV-101 (4-CI-KYN) – kynurenic acid prodrug, potent selective nmda-antagonist. I have a hypothesis that ADHD and Schizophrenia exist on a completely separated axis - and in the middle are neurotypicals. I base this one the Kynurenic Acid Hypothesis of Schizophrenia, which combines the dopaminergic and Glutamatergic theories regarding the pathology of schizo. High KYNA and high dopamine have been reported among Schizo's, low KYNA and low dopaminerg activity have been reported among ADHD-ers. Many stimulants also trigger psychosis in Schizos, while they help ADHD-ers. The connection to me is CLEAR! KYNA is the bodies own exogenous NMDA-antagonist (and as you know, such compounds have been used in models of schizo, as they trigger hallucinations and cognitive blunting at certain doses) and Memantine is another compound which have reportedly been helpful in a subset of ADHD. AV-101 is an experimental anti-depressant which shows pro-cognitive and neuroprotective effects. Some theorize that it may succeed at blocking Glutamate excitotoxicity where Memantine failed - and with substantially less side-effects.

Alas... all of my research was based in me having ADHD, that doesn't appear to be correct... there's no telling if KYNA and NMDA-antagonism would help with SCT symptoms.

Now then... how the H*LL do I get a hold of a sample of Pyritinol?! Buying a whole bucket from Ceretropic is possible, but if it doesn't work, I will have paid quite a bit of money for a useless compound...

Anyone got any samples lying around?

Great info! Have you tried some of the things you mentioned? Ie: Guanfacine (Intuniv), Atomoxetine (strattera), Pyritinol, etc?. How about the active form of B6,

P-5-P (Pyridoxal Phosphate)?

Edited by jack black, 15 July 2016 - 09:09 PM.

• like x 2

#27 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:21 PM

Burnout headache coming on...

Nope, haven't been able to try any of the compounds, because of inability to follow through on plans and pathological rumination with pathological mind-wandering.

I have finally bitten the bullet and talked to my specialist doctor regarding a session - I quit because of cost, but he's the best, because he knows this stuff, accepts my knowledge, and is prepared to prescribe - so hopefully I can get an appointment SOON to get Intuniv.

I will attempt to order metadoxine as well, and have it sent to my parents house - I am in the process of moving, hence rumination over delivery-times and missing packages held that back.

Will do so tomorrow though.

Can't reply to P-5-P ... had forgotten about it... believe I found that only pyritinol would be effective... doesn't work like P-5-P.

uuurgghh..!

#28 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for the answers. In the meantime, I have been reading this monster thread on SCT here:  http://www.addforums...?t=25541&page=1

One person defined SCP as this, interesting:

Short answer: SCT is ADHD-I with the processing speed component of the standard IQ test scoring ~30 points below the other components.

Also, different folks reported different things working for them. Sadly, I think SCT is merely a symptom and not a disease (just like ADHD):

desirpramine (the TCA) helps a lot to focus and organize my thoughts.

Vyvanse at 140 mg.

provigil with quite positive results. I took it in combination with Adderall.

500mg of Metadoxine (alcoliv), 2400 mg of geratum, and 450 mg of bupropion.

Strattera is great. Im currently on the 4th month. Still at starting dose, 40mg.

potassium and magnesium supplements.

I'm cured. Turns out it was undiagnosed food allergies (dairy, gluten, corn, and to some extent, refined sugar).

I am not on meds except Vitamin B-6, Magnesium and coffeee, 1 cup a day.

Noopept 10-15mg with 250mg Citicholine.

heavy metals test showed elevated mercury. It is likely that mercury is at the root of my problems. Treatment is lengthy so it'll be months before I know.

Wellbutrin now (150mg) and L-Theanine (150mg) Omega 3, Magnesium Citrate, Vit C and B complex.

Exercise and 8 hours of sleep are two huge boosters for me...

Welbutrin and built me up to 300mg, the target dose.

Dex was amazing - and still is, 18 months later.

medication called namenda that is called an "NMDA'' receptor antagonist.

Pyritinol doesn't really work that well by itself, at least in my experience. But combined with caffeine and L-Glutamine it works wonders.

On a personal note, I'm getting that memantine tomorrow.

Edited by jack black, 16 July 2016 - 03:43 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

In case anyone reads this, I have been taking that memantine for a week (5mg, not sure if I should increase to the full dose or not) and it's helping some with energy, social anxiety, self esteem, and maybe even motivation (but I would like to see more effects here).

Anyhow, still not sure if I have SCT or ADD or ADHD or something else altogether.

Stinkorninjor,

you are our local expert on SCT. Could you (or some else) please translate the SCT to the Daniel Amen's terminology? See the attached cheat-sheet.

Thanks!

EDIT: Unbelievable, I found the answer from the man himself here: https://www.reddit.c...rist_and_brain/

Dr. Amen:

I know that you've had some focus on ADHD in particular in your clinical and SPECT work, and I imagine that because of your notion of 7 types of ADHD, you are likely aware of some of the newer research within the last few years suggesting Sluggish Cognitive Tempo as a third axis for diagnosis alongside Hyperactivity-Impulsivity and Inattentiveness.

What are your thoughts on how SCT fits in with your current ADHD diagnosis model? Have you scanned patients that would fit the criteria for SCT, and how do you classify them within your system?

[–]DocDanielAmen[S] 20 points

9 months ago  

Yes, there are many types. Sluggish Cognitive Tempo patients usually go with low overall activity. the question we should ask is why? Head trauma, toxic exposure like mold, vascular disease, marijuana exposure, etc.

[–]Twerty 5 points

9 months ago  

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Just one quick follow-up question: Have you had any more luck making SPECT scanning available to the average patient in terms of healthcare coverage? I know it's hard to justify to health insurance providers such specialized diagnostic treatment.

[–]DocDanielAmen[S] 15 points

9 months ago  

Still working on it. Most insurance companies don't see psychiatric issues like other medical issues.

Attached Files

Edited by jack black, 27 July 2016 - 06:14 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users