Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

I have some questions and suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I started reading about this a few days ago and decided to check out freecycle and some pet adoption sites. I've found a free rat, hamsters, and all of the necessary equipment. Other users coukd do the same rather than aquire new pets to keep the budget down, though the ages of the animals aren't always known, I imagine this might be a problem.

How many rats or mice are required to participate?

I've also thought about giving C60 to my cat (he's 15, a year older than his mother when she died). Would he be of any use to the effort?

Also, on a personal curiousity, I'd like to know what effect if any that the C60 has on the health of rodent offspring. Would there be any problem with me breeding a few more mice or rats or would it be detrimental to the trial in some way?

Is there a geographical list of study participants?

#2 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I sent AgeVivo an invite to your thread Cryonicsculture.
Im sure he will reply to your questions and welcome your interest when he has a moment.

As for the the cat: It cant hurt and would be interesting.

#3 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Dear cryonicsculture,

I have received Logic's message but couldn't find this thread, not sure why. I'm bookmarking it so that I'm sure to find it next times.

I started reading about this a few days ago and decided to check out freecycle and some pet adoption sites. I've found a free rat, hamsters, and all of the necessary equipment. Other users coukd do the same rather than aquire new pets to keep the budget down, though the ages of the animals aren't always known, I imagine this might be a problem.

I strongly recommend buying pets from dedicated places or from someone who takes good care of them. You don't want to mess up the experiment with strongly ill animals.

How many rats or mice are required to participate?

Minimum 3. Maximum many but with more than, say, 4 it may smell in the room (up to you; it is just good to know). *If* you are a serious, precise, perseverant and applicated person and either don't care about having a little farm smell or have a good flow or air (not letting them freeze during the night with the window opened ;-) I would suggest 2 cages of 3 pets, one would be for treatment and one would be for placebo. But it would be a big *if*: you don't want to mix solutions.

I've also thought about giving C60 to my cat (he's 15, a year older than his mother when she died). Would he be of any use to the effort?

If he isn't obviously ill, I think it would be good. (Perhaps you may want to ask if other persons have aged cats at home and we could try to similarly a treatment-or-placebo thing. But that seems far stretched and if c60oo were to do any harm in cat...)

Also, on a personal curiousity, I'd like to know what effect if any that the C60 has on the health of rodent offspring. Would there be any problem with me breeding a few more mice or rats or would it be detrimental to the trial in some way?

Too complex unless you are used to breeding already -- breeding conditions matter much so it would be difficult to trust results.

Is there a geographical list of study participants?

Interesting idea, perhaps for later. Some participants prefer to be anonymous but could be ok to indicate the city or country they live in.

Sincerely,
AgeVivo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users