• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Regrowing cartilage with collagen supplements?

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#121 BDon

• 90 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

What about DMSO with abdorbine veterinary liniment?

#122 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

ironfistx,

do you have actual problems with your elbow? cartilage loss is not the only thing that can keep a joint from working, and in my experience it is only seldom the actual problem.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

ironfistx,

do you have actual problems with your elbow? cartilage loss is not the only thing that can keep a joint from working, and in my experience it is only seldom the actual problem.

Yes. As stated in the first post I have cartilage loss in my elbow. An MRI revealed grade 3/4 chondral fissuring.

#124 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

There's a lot of stuff in an elbow. Not that familiar with them. My cartilage problems, which have been on several different areas, could get better and worse depending on positioning, and the lack of weight and pressure. The advice where should help with many different connective/soft tissue problems, anyway.

#125 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Sorry I missed your later post about pain and tingling. Cartilage loss in itself is not a problem, you will find a lot of asymptomatic people with severe cartilage loss.

I would advise you to find a manual therapist to take a look at the elbow. There are chances that therapy can improve your symptoms, and it would be quicker and more straightforward than cartilage regeneration.

#126 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

I don't know. Sometimes having people move around an area with an issue can have bad results. What are your qualifications to say that? How old are you?

#127 Atropy

• 160 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Does anyone have a dosage recomendation for Beef gelatine powder and Cissus quad 40% Ketesterones to regenrate and protect joints from injury?

Also should Cissus quad be cycled?

#128 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have found new research on this subject that involves repressing the glycoprotein dickkopf-1 (Dkk-1).
Its in this thread:
http://www.longecity...osteoarthritis/

#129 Fred_CALICO

• 106 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://tel.archives-...el-00825606/fr/

Fibricartilage ageing : evaluation of regenerative cell therapy in enthesis lesions Fibrocartilages are located in many places in the body, and there is a direct correlation between this location and there histology. They act as a stress load junction organ and, thereby, play a fundamental rule in musculoskeletal system. In between several types of fibrocartilages, one specific is called enthesis, which function is to fix tendons around the joint. Its natural ageing leads to the tearing of the tendon, decreasing range of motion. In order to evaluate the effect of several therapies on a ≪ aged ≫ enthesis, we first validate, in a small animal model, of enthesis lesion close to natural ageing, This model needed to provide limited healing and possibilities of assessing the healing rate after surgical repair. The model we validate in adult wistar rat, allows us to asses the global healing rate, after surgical repair of the tendon to the bone, following the mechanical destruction of the enthesis, This rate is close to human natural healing rate. By injecting, during surgical repair, chondrocytes in one group, Bone Marrow Derived Stem Cells in the other one, we demonstrate a statistically significant difference regarding global healing rate, load to failure, and histological regeneration at 45 days

#130 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Fibrocartilage is different from articular cartilage, which is the kind you have in your joints.

There are some methods that will regrow fibrocartilage, such as microfracture, but fibrocartilage is not as tough or durable as articular cartilage and doesn't last as long and also doesn't stand up to as much force (like running and jumping and exercising). As I understand it, if you have microfracture done to your knee, it may regrow fibrocartilage and you might get to the point where you can walk normally and do day to day things, but it likely won't last forever, and it also probably can't take the stress of running or jumping.

As I understand it, this is why they are moving away from microfracture and onto other techniques.
  • like x 1

#131 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I don't know. Sometimes having people move around an area with an issue can have bad results. What are your qualifications to say that? How old are you?

I'm a physiotherapist and 28 years old, and I'm biased since I do a lot of manual therapy. Sometimes people get worse from therapy or exercise, even when no apparent mistakes were made. But with due care you can minimize the risk. Frankly, I'm amazed that no physiotherapy was even considered.

anyway, thanks for your contribution, this thread is of outmost interest.

another thread concerning musculoskeletal problems and pathogens that could use some love.
http://www.longecity...-pain-patients/

ironfistx, how's your elbow?

Edited by shp5, 11 August 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#132 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

I think that collagen supplements help re grow cartliage. From my personal experience i have been taking collagen supplements for 2 months now for my hip pain...instantly i had pain relief, in fact very little to no pain, and absolute 10 fold increase in mobility. In the past i would always use pain killers and other prescribed drugs but none really helped. So i am guessing with the feeling in my hip is that i have a little more cushioning now too...will be getting some x-rays shortly to check it out...

#133 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Olive leaf and Fucoidan:

Olive leaf extract facilitates healing of experimental cartilaginous injuries in rabbits.
Gong D, Geng C, Jiang L, Wang L, Yoshimuram H, Zhong L.
J Med Food. 2011 Mar;14(3):268-75. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2010.1153. Epub 2010 Dec 23.
PMID: 21182446

Effect of fucoidan extracted from mozuku on experimental cartilaginous tissue injury.
Osaki T, Kitahara K, Okamoto Y, Imagawa T, Tsuka T, Miki Y, Kawamoto H, Saimoto H, Minami S.
Mar Drugs. 2012 Nov 13;10(11):2560-70. doi: 10.3390/md10112560.
PMID: 23203277

#134 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

hi folks,

is it possible to regrow cartilage that has been damaged by spinal disorders like kyphosis and scoliosis as in Scheuermann's disease? can plz somebody answer me what can be done/taken?

#135 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think that collagen supplements help re grow cartliage. From my personal experience i have been taking collagen supplements for 2 months now for my hip pain...instantly i had pain relief, in fact very little to no pain, and absolute 10 fold increase in mobility. In the past i would always use pain killers and other prescribed drugs but none really helped. So i am guessing with the feeling in my hip is that i have a little more cushioning now too...will be getting some x-rays shortly to check it out...

What type and how much are you taking?

#136 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

goodman,

Do you actually have those three disorders? You can regrow spinal cartilage. I've done it. Not familiar with the disorders you mentioned except for scoliosis, which I thought was your spine curving sideways?

I've written lot about cartilage regeneration. I did a Google search on the following terms:

longecity luminosity cartilage

Hopefully you can find my writing through Google searches. Get type II cartilage, Swansons Brand Chicken Sternal Cartilage. Open up the capsules, dissolve the contents in water and take it room temperature on an empty stomach with some vitamin C. Pay attention to details like that. Take the brand I recommended the right way. In some cases, I've learned more over time, so take my latest recommendation. Follow the diet and lifestyle advice I give. One you've studied and think you know what's what, come to me if you want and tell me what you've understood. I'll see if it's right. It's complicated, so that's how I'd proceed if I were you.

Edited by Luminosity, 19 August 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#137 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

I started taking Swanson Chicken cartilage type II to help with a strained shoulder that's been bothering me. The first few days taking it I would wake up and feel a warm gentle feeling of circulation in my shoulder and the past few weeks it has helped make a difference.

#138 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the testimony.

#139 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

What type and how much are you taking?

I am taking natural collagen supplements - Colvita. It is a product made here in Poland. My wife originally put me on to it, as it is well used here for skin care and anti aging. My research just beginning on this topic since using this and limited - but growing seems that there claims of being 100% bio compatible with the human body, and 1 of the most complex amino acids are true.

Google "colvita peptide bomb" and you get a listing of sites where the products are availble in the US, or just email me here to discuss more...

But since using from day one, i no longer during the first few days had the regular cracking or feeling of hip going to fracture, i thought initially this could be a palcebo effect, however after a week of taking 2 morning during or slightly after brekky and then 2 with last meal in late afternoon / evening i thought i have not had any problems during the first week. THe weather conditions at the time were stormy and humid here at the time too and changing weather...which normally makes my days worse, with sudden movement cracks of pain, or if sitting in one position sometimes impossible to move sudden and had to work the body out of the locked position. This i have not experienced for past few months now...and absolutely little or no pain, and if the weather is turning (i normally know a few days before) then i take 1-2 during lunch meal as well during the day, and i do not have the feeling no longer...Also you need to take product with a natural vitamin c, if you do not have adequate fruit and vege packed with vit c during your meal. And afterwards 1-2 glasses of water...(this i always do anyway). My only change was taking the colvita collagen supplement.

I have also, as well as other people my skin on my face has improved, and i did not know this at the time but since doing research, realised that i may have been suffering from varicose veins, as within the first week, of taking the collagen supplements i woke without the usual cramping and tight feeling in my right calf muscle...something i have had every morning the past few years, and after many tests and physio etc, just put down to another problem from sport injuries and due to r hip problem.

On top of all this my mobility has increased 10 fold, and now walking around near normal, except for normal limp due to slight shortening of r leg. But feels comfortable enough to run in back yard with my 3 year old son now, something that i could not do, and if i tried could not due to sudden pain and uncomfortable feeling and unsteadiness due to hip...(classic r hip replacement alot of surgeons advise take it out and replace)...but now it feels like i have a new one, and will wait until time is up, but will keep trying to maintain and improve with healthy eating and i have found that supplemented with these natural collagen supplements that this has greatly boost performance.

So my thinking is that maybe doctors should be prescribing natural supplements like the collagen to people who suffer these types of problems instead of the prescribed drugs...(anyway just my thoughts, as was at one time for 6 months taking many drugs and pain killers but really to no affect - or nothing to these collagen supplements).

Hope that helps...

#140 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Do you know your hip pain was caused by a cartilage problem?

I started taking Swanson Chicken cartilage type II to help with a strained shoulder that's been bothering me. The first few days taking it I would wake up and feel a warm gentle feeling of circulation in my shoulder and the past few weeks it has helped make a difference.

Do you know it was cartilage that was causing your shoulder pain?

#141 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

It was perthes disease which is no blood to spot on top of hip ball which caused problems, and wearing away the cartliage between. But since taking the collagen supps feel like there is a little more cushioning and especially comfort, so will be interested to see when i go get some updated Xrays at how it looks, especially since taking the supps.

#142 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Do you know your hip pain was caused by a cartilage problem?

Do you know it was cartilage that was causing your shoulder pain?

I do not.

I will say this. Regardless of the nature of my injury, my shoulder ever since I can remember even before I had any kind of pain had a "popping" issue where as when I would extend my arm out and back I would hear a pop in my shoulder. Now I do this same motion and for the first time in probably a decade my shoulder is not popping.

I believe my shoulder injury is likely excess inflamation from overuse after a minor tear last year. But my general belief is cartilage support can't hurt.

As an aside, I think collegan may pocess some kind of neural promoting properties. I have found my mood is better when taking this.

#143 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

As an aside, I think collegan may pocess some kind of neural promoting properties. I have found my mood is better when taking this.

Depending on what supplement you take, one should consider that cartilage is only one structure that could benefit from collagen-supplementation. fasciae, ligaments and tendons are all important parts of the musculosceletal system that can influence a dysfunction.

#144 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

this is very true...

#145 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

goodman,

Do you actually have those three disorders? You can regrow spinal cartilage. I've done it. Not familiar with the disorders you mentioned except for scoliosis, which I thought was your spine curving sideways?

I've written lot about cartilage regeneration. I did a Google search on the following terms:

longecity luminosity cartilage

Hopefully you can find my writing through Google searches. Get type II cartilage, Swansons Brand Chicken Sternal Cartilage. Open up the capsules, dissolve the contents in water and take it room temperature on an empty stomach with some vitamin C. Pay attention to details like that. Take the brand I recommended the right way. In some cases, I've learned more over time, so take my latest recommendation. Follow the diet and lifestyle advice I give. One you've studied and think you know what's what, come to me if you want and tell me what you've understood. I'll see if it's right. It's complicated, so that's how I'd proceed if I were you.

thank you very much for your detailed answer.
Yes I have these disorders. So taking scoliosis (spine curving sideways), or kyphosis (round/hump back), these conditions often involve vedged vertebrae due to mechanical pressure. Vertebrae mainly consists of cartilage. Do you think its possible to regrow your vertebrae to normal status or at least improving the curve? I wish I had a straight spine again.

cheers

#146 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Yes, if you do the right things and avoid doing the wrong things. I probably know what a lot of those are. Cartilage is slow to regenerate but it will do so if you do the right things. It's a process. I'd start with what I recommended in my last post and come to me when you are ready, to see if you understand. Then we'll go from there. Sorry to sound so bossy but it is complicated and people are buying the wrong things and getting bad results.

I would also look into diet and lifestyle according to Chinese Medicine. I've written a thread about it here:

Longecity Good Resources for Chinese Medicine

Edited by Luminosity, 26 August 2013 - 02:36 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#147 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

Always eat a strong healthy diet especially when sufferring from pain...loads of tomatoes, avocados, brocolli, blueberries, or the foods also containing natural aspirin, as this also seems to help. I read an article just recently that mentioned these foods contain natural aspirin, and maybe also this has helped contribute to my pain reduction as well as giving me all the health benefits naturally...help with cushioning my hip and increasing my mobility...

#148 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

As well i have had excellent results from taking collagen supplements Colvita. They are produced in Poland, eastern europe. Bash on native freshwater fish skin and are 100% biocompatible with the human body. The collagen or triple helix is kept "live", and said to be directly absorbed into bloodstream upon dissolution of the gelatin capsule. And pretty much straight away i have no more sudden pain or the normal weather change discomfort that i usually experience & 10 fold increase in mobility.

This is evident now and same since early June of taking the collagen supplements...

#149 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

As well i have had excellent results from taking collagen supplements Colvita. They are produced in Poland, eastern europe. Bash on native freshwater fish skin and are 100% biocompatible with the human body. The collagen or triple helix is kept "live", and said to be directly absorbed into bloodstream upon dissolution of the gelatin capsule. And pretty much straight away i have no more sudden pain or the normal weather change discomfort that i usually experience & 10 fold increase in mobility.

This is evident now and same since early June of taking the collagen supplements...

These Colvita collagen supplements are insanely expensive! There seems to be a lot of marketing going on there, as well. Have you tried any other more reasonably priced fish collagen supplements?
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#150 bgs4669

• 26 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

yeah i have but no affect...these collagen supplements are non-hydrolyzed and pretty unique on the market from my research. And compared to the drugs and pain killers i was taking in the past they are quite cheap comparatively. But seriously i have not had such relief, and had been seriously checking out getting a hip replacement, but at moment totally on the back burner. My mobility is nearly back to normal, as started some bits of jogging, something i hadn't done since late 2006. And the current weather changes at the moment normally have me in serious pain and i get non of it...so pretty happy with the stuff. But must admit would be great to get it cheaper...but the company selling it has exclusive on it around the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users