Zinc - Depression / Anxiety

zinc depression anxiety

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeyItsMeLC

• 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi all,

Just found this recent study, thought it might be helpful for other people.

Does anyone use Zinc as a stand alone treatment or in combination?

2012 Dec;31(12):1237-43. doi: 10.1177/0960327112444938. Epub 2012 May 1
Effect of zinc in animal models of anxiety, depression and psychosis.

Source

1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard (Hamdard University), New Delhi, India.

Abstract

The role of zinc (Zn) in anxiety, depression and psychosis was studied in rodents. Zn was administered at doses of 15 and 20 mg/kg intraperitoneally for 7 days. Both doses of Zn reduced the immobility time and increased the swimming time in the modified forced swim test. In the elevated plus maze test, increases in the number of open arm entries and time spent in the open arms were observed with both doses of Zn. In the amphetamine (1 and 2 mg/kg subcutaneously) induced locomotor activity test both doses of Zn produced reduction in the total movement time, mean velocity and stereotypic movements. Extrapyramidal symptoms such as catalepsy in animals are usually observed with conventional antipsychotic agents; but in the present study, Zn at doses of 15 and 20 mg/kg did not produce any cataleptic state in mice. The results of the present study demonstrated the anxiolytic, antidepressant and antipsychotic-like effects of Zn metal ion, which may be due to its N-methyl d-aspartate receptor antagonistic activity. Concurrent administration of a lower dose of Zn with standard existing anxiolytic and antidepressant drugs in this study showed potentiating effect, suggesting that Zn could exert beneficial role when prescribed as add-on medicine in the psychiatric illnesses. The results obtained in this study are preliminary, as further research is required to confirm the exact role of Zn metal in the investigated central nervous system disorders.

Edited by HeyItsMeLC, 03 February 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#2 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Nothing new really, there were many studies about that already. AFAIK, zinc is the second most abundant mineral in the brain (second only to iron which is important for oxygen transport in blood). It's also one of the minerals most people (in USA) is deficient (about 70 %). Try 15-30 mg of zinc citrate/methionine or other organic forms.

http://evolutionaryp...revolution.html
http://evolutionaryp...10/07/zinc.html
http://evolutionaryp...depression.html

And yes, many people here use it (including myself) and it's very helpful for memory, mood, libido (testosterone) and so on.

Edited by hippocampus, 03 February 2013 - 08:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 HeyItsMeLC

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Thanks hippocampus.

Definitely not anything new, it's just that this more recent study caught my attention and I have never tried it so wanted to see what other people's experiences were.

Have also seen reports of potential dangers with long term use, however I believe it is only applicable to doses exceeding 40mg/day.

Edited by HeyItsMeLC, 03 February 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#4 panhedonic

• 390 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Not sure why, but I attribute to zinc a huge increase in libido. I'm not sure why, because it might also be selegiline or other supps I'm taking.

#5 Agomelatinehope

• 50 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm using it (15mg) and I find it very useful to restore libido after long term SSRI use. It gives you a little boost like dopaminergic drugs so it could be compared to an antidepressant, yes.

I feel more "manly" and it's suposed to help my tinnitus as well

Edited by Agomelatinehope, 11 February 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#6 Redux

• 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

ZInc should be definitely in line for one of the first supplements to try in case of motivation / depression issues. Ive been lately feeling a bit like shit, moved to a new city, cant find a job, and building a new social network,. Well, I started doing Andrew Cutler Chelating Protocol this monday and my motivation even got worse total letargy, was really feeling down. .I decided to give a try to Zinc Monomethionine (OptiZinc) last night for 8mg, already felt better this morning, but when took another 15mg this morning. Holy cow! It was like this black blanket over my head disappeared the effects were in 1h very substancial, felt full of energy, a wanting to do stuff, not procrastinate anymore, and that "no reason" happiness . Its not the first time get this effect, but the difference was so dramatic, like night and day. Amazing stuff.

Edited by Redux, 10 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#7 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Does the type of salt make any difference? Sulphate is the most common in supplements and I think it was used in some studies I read.

#8 Redux

• 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Does the type of salt make any difference? Sulphate is the most common in supplements and I think it was used in some studies I read.

I tried other forms of zinc without success like Picolate. Only Monomethionine form made (any) effect.

Edited by Redux, 10 July 2013 - 02:56 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

I tried other forms of zinc without success like Picolate. Only Monomethionine form made (any) effect.

Could it be that you meeded methionine then?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zinc, depression, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users