• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Which method of intermittent fasting do you prefer?

intermittent fasting fasting calorie restriction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Which method of intermittent fasting do you prefer? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which method of intermittent fasting do you prefer?

1. Two mostly distinct meals: Breakfast + Lunch (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Two mostly distinct meals: Lunch + Dinner (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

3. Two mostly distinct meals: Breakfast + Dinner (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

4. One extended long "meal" beginning around breakfast (before 10am) (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

5. One extended long "meal" beginning around lunch (10am-4pm) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. One extended long "meal" beginning around dinner (after 4pm) (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

7. My fasting schedule varies day to day. (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

8. I practice IF as alternate day fasting, weekly fasting, or similar. (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

9. I used to do IF but am now eating more regular meals. (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

10. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

My primary motivations for IF include:

1. Easier to manage hunger (7 votes [11.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

2. Easier to manage meal planning (9 votes [15.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

3. Circadian rhythm benefits (3 votes [5.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

4. Autophagy benefits (12 votes [20.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.34%

5. Calorie restriction (can also be related to other choices) (8 votes [13.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

6. Improved energy (7 votes [11.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

7. Improved digestion (4 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

8. Improved mental acuity (5 votes [8.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

9. Improved sleep (3 votes [5.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

10. Other (please explain) (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

My schedule most closely resembles:

1. Two meals consumed within 4 hours (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Two meals consumed within 6 hours (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Two meals consumed within 8 hours (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

4. Two meals consumed over 8 hours apart (e.g., breakfast and dinner) (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

5. One long "meal" consumed within 1 hour (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

6. One long "meal" consumed within 2 hours (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

7. One long "meal" consumed within 3 hour (0 votes [0.00%])

8. One long "meal" consumed within 4 hours (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One long "meal" consumed within 5+ hours (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

10. I practice alternate day fasting, weekly fasting, or similar (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

11. My fasting schedule varies day to day (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

12. I do not currently IF and am eating more regular meals. (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

13. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

The concept of intermittent fasting has matured somewhat with regards to the internet (forums, blogophere) and the scientific literature since it had a surge of popularity and adoption a few years back. I'd like to check in with people here to see what they're currently doing.

For reference, in addition to Longecity, the Calorie Restriction Society has had some recent discussions on their mailing list and Facebook page which brought up some questions I'd like to open up for discussion. I'll post my thoughts below.

Edited by James Cain, 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#2 James Cain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

It seems the benefits of condensing your food to the morning are circadian in nature, but it's harder to resist eating in the evening, there's an obvious social restriction to avoiding dinner, and some find it hard to sleep when hungry.
It seems the benefits of condensing your food to the evening are better hunger management, social acceptance, and perhaps sleep (if not eating too late), but this seems to work against our circadian biology to some extent.
The benefits of splitting into breakfast and dinner seem to be a trade off of the above, while avoiding afternoon drowsiness, and not taking too much time between food for those who comfortably go 16+ hours.

All seem to have some benefit from autophagy and "time away from food." Of course this assumes a two meal pattern, though there's a lot of overlap with the one large extended "meal" over a similar number of hours. I think three meals with 5-6 hours between them (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) could be quite a bit more beneficial than snacking, but I'm then wondering if any additional benefits would be gained from removing one of the meals that are worth the downsides? Perhaps the weekly fasting is a bargain along this spectrum?

My thoughts are generally split into 1) What would be the most appropriate method to follow given research findings and our biology, and 2) which is more practical given our actual hunger and social restrictions?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 James Cain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I've experimented with most forms of fasting and tend to prefer an evening eating window for practical reasons, though my sleep suffers if I eat too much food in the evening. I like the idea of skipping lunch but it seems like it takes a lot longer to get used to than cutting off the morning or evening meal, so I probably haven't stuck with it long enough to truly assess it. I also like idea of skipping lunch in order to digest two larger meals farther apart, because if I put them too close together I don't seem to clear the first one before starting the second.

Right now I'm doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My natural preference seems to be meals 8 hours apart, around 6am and 2pm. The first hunger hits around 10am and easily passes, but the second hunger seems to hit around 2pm and is difficult to ignore. My work schedule dictates lunch time between 11am-1pm, and I often do dinner with family or friends, so the only practical implementation would be breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner, but I put a lot of stock into the benefits of breakfast--psychologically for me, and regarding circadian biology.

#4 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

I only eat 2 meals per day, but I don't really consider that IF. I would do more extensive IF when more studies come out showing that there are only benefits and not the risks:
http://www.longecity...ng/#entry455008
http://www.longecity...ng/#entry473475
I'm surprised people are so quick to dismiss these negative studies.

At least for now, I will stick with more frequent meals and moderate CR. I'd do protein cycling before I would do IF.

#5 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I fast once (or twice) a week.

#6 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I like skipping breakfast to start my most important tasks of the day as soon as possible after waking up to gain momentum.
I only do this for behavioral benefits; it eliminates procrastination.

IF is also a great OCCASIONAL stressor of the body, which especially improves nutrient-utilization.

I can't answer to the poll though. My meal frequency varies with how fast I expend nutrients, which depends on activities and supplements of that day.

Edited by chung_pao, 02 March 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#7 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

I used to do fasts and cleanses. I think now that they harmed my health and ability to function. I would not do that again.

#8 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

In what way Luminosity? Was it long-term harm?

#9 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

I don't want to get into it, but I now believe that it was a bad idea.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#10 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

I am currently doing a leangains inspired protocol to hopefully drop to single digit body fat, with a meal each at noon and in the evening and likely some smaller (fat or protein heavy, think protein shake, protein bar or coconut) snacks in between. Lowish carbs (except for sugar alcohols) and limited grain intake (mostly rice, some occasional bread), in any case.

Edited by nupi, 03 March 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#11 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I have been on a modified ADF regime for almost 3 years now.
I eat 3 normal meals Tuesday, Thursday, Sat & Sun.
I only eat an evening meal Mon, Wed & Friday.
On those days I drink tea or coffee with a non-sugar sweetener, or a diet soft drink.
This means I am fasting for about 20 hours between meals, which should be sending the right signals to the energy-sensing mechanism of the cells.
I find this regime works well for me. I am able to work well enough on my 1-meal days and I don't over-eat on my 3-meal days to compensate.
Weather permitting, I run about 8km on 2 days on which I eat (usually Thursday and Sunday).
I take a supplement regime and self-medicate a little.
I'm now 56. Still aging, but hopefully at a slower rate...I guess only time will tell.

DrTom

#12 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Might be possible to do extensive ageing tests on yourself, Tom.

the trick is to turn SiRt1 on.

Edited by Innocent, 09 September 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#13 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

I tried ADF for 3 months last year and while it was pretty easy and fun it's really hard eating 3000 ''healthy'' calories in a day and you often feel bloated and too full.I hated the bloated, drained cycle so I stopped and my readings seemed to point me towards either longer fasts of 72 hours once a month or a single meal a day on the long term so I'm now following the latter.
It kills social occasions tho since I like to have my meal upon waking up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: intermittent fasting, fasting, calorie restriction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users