- - - - -

Fo Ti (He Shou Wu) Safety

fallopia multiflora fo ti polygonum multiflorum he shou wu

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 John2009

• 110 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Does anyone have any reliable information on the safety of Fo-Ti / He Shou Wu also known as Fallopia multiflora or Polygonum multiflorum ? At www.webmd.com is says that fo-ti

might be UNSAFE to take by mouth due to concerns that it might cause liver damage in both adults and children. Fo-ti has been linked to liver damage in several reports, including one case in a 5-year-old child

http://www.webmd.com...dientName=FO-TI

At www.drweil.com it says that

more than 25 cases of hepatitis have been reported in people who have used it, including one case in a five-year-old

The weil site also says fo ti can interact with several medications (and I would assume other herbs as well).

I had read reports that fo-ti could increase energy, libido, and prevent or in some cases reverse grey hair. However, after reading the information above, I'm afraid to try it.

I know that LEF sells the Solaray brand of fo-ti, so they must think it is reasonably safe.

https://www.lef.org/...earch&key=fo ti

John abdo also mentioned taking 1000 mg of fo ti (I would guess daily) in an old 2007 LEF article, but I do not know if he still takes it.

https://www.lef.org/...earch&key=fo ti

I cannot understand how an herb could induce hepatitis unless it was contaminated somehow. If the above information is based on fluke cases where extremely large doses were used or where contaminated products were used, and it turns out fo ti is safe to take, then in what dosages and what brand ? Is the herb generally taken long term ?

Can anyone recommend any good books or websites on the effectiveness and safety of herbs ? I had an old copy of "the honest herbal" but I would like to find a source of information that is up to date and as complete as possible.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Edited by John2009, 27 March 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#2 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

Supposedly it contains a harsh laxative compound similar to emodin (which is found in resveratrol from Japanese knotweed) that is supposed to be broken down if the roots are prepared in a certain way (as in heated/boiled). Otherwise it is supposed to be rough on the digestive system.

I also vaguely remember reading that the liver problems were found in some combination products where Fo Ti was just one of the ingredients.

Here's a monograph for FoTi

http://www.naturalpr...ment/fo-ti/uses

Here's a monograph for FoTi
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

When I tried Fo Ti I had nasty serotonin syndrome like symptoms, never will use it again.

#4 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

As I recall it has to be prepared with black bean before its non toxic. Its the raw, unprocessed stuff you need to stay away from.

#5 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Logic is correct, except to say that both processed and un processed polygonum multiflorum are used in Chinese medicine to achieve different purposes. Most commonly you will find only processed roots that have already been cooked with black beans, dried and then sometimes ground into powder and placed in capsules. I buy processed Polygonum multiflorum by the 1 lb box and the suggestion on the box is to boil it for 1/2 hr before consumption. I always cook it before consumption, and I've not had a problem for the last 5 years @ 15 g per day.
  • Informative x 1

#6 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

I always cook it before consumption, and I've not had a problem for the last 5 years @ 15 g per day.

Wowza! And what benefits have you derived from this?

#7 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

I always cook it before consumption, and I've not had a problem for the last 5 years @ 15 g per day.

Wowza! And what benefits have you derived from this?

Well, most notably, my hair stopped falling out and stopped turning gray. I have some thinning hair on the crown of my head and it has stopped growing bigger. I've noticed on a couple of occasions when I ran out of he shou wu and stop taking it for a couple of weeks, the hair loss resumes. I'm currently about 5% gray - most of which happened before I started trying to deal with the problem.

Otherwise, along with my CR diet and regular exercise and 10 - 50 mg of resveratrol per day and 5 g of astragalus I seem to be in very good health and aging very slowly (when compared to the time before I started this regime). Libido has never been a problem for me and is still quite good at age 47. I also have robust health with only very rare colds/flu when I am presented with a very strong infection vector.

#8 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

...I buy processed Polygonum multiflorum by the 1 lb box..

Can you tell us where you buy from plz scottknl?

#9 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Anecdotally, I took Fo Ti extract by Herb Pharm for 6 months and it (seemingly) has zero effect, so I dropped it.

#10 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

http://www.yelp.com/...an-dong-seattle
The guys running this little store are great at supplying herbs at reasonable prices. They give the right herbs and good advice too.
This is where I go when I run out of supplies direct from China. He shou wu should be around $8 for a 1 lbs box of prepared root. I used this as my sole source for about 3 years. I live close by, so I haven't asked them about shipping, but I think they will do that if you ask and pay ahead of time.

Once a year my wife goes to Beijing to their top quality store "Tong Ren Tang" and brings home most of a year's supply for me. She claims that the quality is first rate, but I can't really tell the difference between the "good stuff" and the normal stuff I buy from the new-an-dong market.
Here's their Aussie branch website:
http://www.tongrentang.com.au/

There are numerous herb stores in
http://www.cidbia.or...-directory/herb
downtown Seattle and sometimes we shop around to get the same brands at different prices.

They don't have much on their web sites, so I think you just have to call and find out if they'll ship it to you.

Advice: Cook the herbs for a long time and get all the tea you can out of them or consume them after grinding in a coffee grinder and then cooking. I boil it for 10 minutes, add it to oatmeal and boil some more and then add some cocoa powder, nuts and goji in the morning.

You'll need to have a good diet to see the effects of the herbs, so get all the junk out of your diet before using them. Poison + medicine is not really much good you see :)

Edited by scottknl, 29 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#11 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

http://www.yelp.com/...an-dong-seattle
The guys running this little store are great at supplying herbs at reasonable prices. They give the right herbs and good advice too.
This is where I go when I run out of supplies direct from China. He shou wu should be around $8 for a 1 lbs box of prepared root. I used this as my sole source for about 3 years. I live close by, so I haven't asked them about shipping, but I think they will do that if you ask and pay ahead of time.

Once a year my wife goes to Beijing to their top quality store "Tong Ren Tang" and brings home most of a year's supply for me. She claims that the quality is first rate, but I can't really tell the difference between the "good stuff" and the normal stuff I buy from the new-an-dong market.
Here's their Aussie branch website:
http://www.tongrentang.com.au/

There are numerous herb stores in
http://www.cidbia.or...-directory/herb
downtown Seattle and sometimes we shop around to get the same brands at different prices.

They don't have much on their web sites, so I think you just have to call and find out if they'll ship it to you.

Advice: Cook the herbs for a long time and get all the tea you can out of them or consume them after grinding in a coffee grinder and then cooking. I boil it for 10 minutes, add it to oatmeal and boil some more and then add some cocoa powder, nuts and goji in the morning.

You'll need to have a good diet to see the effects of the herbs, so get all the junk out of your diet before using them. Poison + medicine is not really much good you see :)

Thx scottknl

I'm in South Africa so shipping is expensive, but definitely want to try this herb.

#12 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Fo Ti has been used for hundreds or thousands of years in Chinese medicine. I'm unaware of any laxative or other negative health effect if used correctly by the right person. Traditionally, Chinese herbs are prescribed for the patient by a Chinese herblist (who is usually also an acupuncturist). Some of these practitioners are better than others. In the United States and some other Western countries, only about half of acupuncturists are competent. As Scott said, cooked and raw herbs have different energetic effects. I remember taking it cooked in a patent medicine with other herbs. I decided to take this myself. It wasn't quite the right prescription for me so it had some side effects, but it also had many good effects. I stopped taking it because of the side effects. Overall, cooked herbs are more common in Chinese medicine than raw ones. Fo Ti did not reverse my gray hair, but it made my hair grow faster and thicker. Many sources say it reverses gray hair, but if you Google people's experiences with Fo Ti on this site, you can see that's not true for everyone.

I'd be wary of raw single raw Chinese herbs that you pick yourself because A) it is likely that they would not be taken that way in China B) that might or might not be what you need.

If you want to know more about Chinese medicine, you could check you my thread on it here. I recommend a certain book about Chinese Medicine that is easier to understand than most.

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/

Edited by Luminosity, 30 March 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#13 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

I've been taking Fo-Ti (nothing else) for the last 7/8 weeks.

It seems to stimulate me quite a lot. It's effect on libido are also undeniable.

I'm going to try polyrachis ant soon. It shares a few simularities with fo-ti.

#14 John2009

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

What brand and dosages are you using Thorsten2 ?

Also, when you say it stimulates you quite a lot, do you mean it makes you feel more energetic ? Is it a good stimulation or is it more of a jittery feeling like caffeine can sometimes induce ?

#15 riloal

• 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi, any good brand of Fo Ti, from IHerb? Thanks

#16 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:02 AM

Even after low doses of 60mg or so of NOW brand Fo-ti (he shou wu) I get bit yellow skin on the face about 3 hours after ingesting. 

It's a shame because I had bit more vigilance and dedication last night. And few years ago when I took it I noticed very real improvement to my mood. Unfortunate the skin on my face would keep getting more yellow. And that was a different brand.

Would boiling the contents of a NOW brand capsule produce better results?  I've had some history of substances making my face yellow. Happens on and off a lot in the past few years. Wish I knew why. Even without He Shou Wu some yellowness is evident most days. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

I would discontinue it immediately. Yellow skin is jaundice and liver problem. He shou wu is known to adversely affect liver in some cases.

Edited by mrak1979, 07 April 2016 - 06:39 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fallopia multiflora, fo ti, polygonum multiflorum, he shou wu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users