nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3391 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Lostfalco,

What model do you have or recommend? I was going to get one of these when I got my hyperbaric chamber last year (to use before I jumped in) but I held off on it because I was light on cash after the chamber and didn't know which one to buy.

I'm going to take another look. Is it possible to get a decent one for under $300?

Hey man, here's the cheapest ($441) version of my oxygen concentrator I could find. http://www.aliexpres...59-8281e6475a75

I know it's a little more than $300 but it should at least give you a pretty good idea of the specs to look for in less expensive models. 

Almost all of the human studies on concentrated oxygen as a nootropic are here if anyone wants to check them out. http://www.lostfalco...as-a-nootropic/

It's fantastic stuff ime.

Edited by lostfalco, 20 July 2016 - 07:28 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#3392 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:19 AM

So in the latest mailer from antiaging systems there is an article touting this antioxidant called ACF228 which is a combination of other ingredients. They are touting it as some sort of miracle, extends lifespan in rats by 12%, inventor Dr. Richard Lippman was (allegedly) nominated for a Nobel. Has anyone tried this? 50 capsules is $40.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3393 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

So in the latest mailer from antiaging systems there is an article touting this antioxidant called ACF228 which is a combination of other ingredients. They are touting it as some sort of miracle, extends lifespan in rats by 12%, inventor Dr. Richard Lippman was (allegedly) nominated for a Nobel. Has anyone tried this? 50 capsules is $40.

Hmm, interesting. I've heard of Lippman but I haven't heard of ACF228. I'll take a look. 

#3394 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

Recent review article on molecular hydrogen. =)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/27281176

Curr Neuropharmacol. 2016 Jun 7. [Epub ahead of print]

Molecular Hydrogen as a Neuroprotective Agent.

Oxidative stress and neuroinflammation cause many neurological disorders. Recently, it was reported that molecular hydrogen (H2) functions as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. The routes of H2 administration in animal model and human clinical studies are roughly classified into three types, inhalation of H2 gas, drinking H2-dissolved water, and injection of H2-dissolved saline. This review discusses some of the remarkable progress that has been made in the research of H2 use for neurological disorders, such as cerebrovascular diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, and neonatal brain disorders. Although most neurological disorders are currently incurable, these studies suggest the clinical potential of H2 administration for their prevention, treatment, and mitigation. Several of the potential effectors of H2 will also be discussed, including cell signaling molecules and hormones that are responsible for preventing oxidative stress and inflammation. Nevertheless, further investigation will be required to determine the direct target molecule of H2.

Edited by lostfalco, 23 July 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#3395 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hey, what's up guys? 

It looks like the affordable ibudilast is available again! 

It says "back ordered" when you click on it but I was able to place an order today. 

I put the link to Pinatos brand ibudilast (no affiliation) at the top of my "pharmaceuticals" page here: http://www.lostfalco...harmaceuticals/

For those who haven't heard of it, ibudilast enhances cerebral blood flow, reduces brain inflammation, and inhibits phosphodiesterase 4. 

I've collected almost all of the human studies here if you want to check them out. http://www.lostfalco...ve-enhancement/

And, of course, most of you are familiar with using it to combat brain fog. http://www.lostfalco...n-fog-two-step/

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#3396 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

Going to try the ibudilast for ulcerative colitis. I'll report back the N=1 results; and any nootropic benefit (or not).

#3397 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Going to try the ibudilast for ulcerative colitis. I'll report back the N=1 results; and any nootropic benefit (or not).

Sounds good, Razor. Hope it works well for you!

#3398 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Help! I seem to have had an acute visual memory enhancement episode of unprecedented intensity and I'm worried that receptor burnout is a distinct near term possibility. (Mods, I'm happy to put this in another thread, but given the broad nature of the event, this one seemed most appropriate.)

Questions: (1) What do you suppose I did, on a neurophysiological level, to bring this about? (2) Is there any way we can tame this dragon, so we can harness it for productive purposes, without risking burnout?

Background: I have a history of vivid visualization, mostly as a response to snorting betaNGF. However, I haven't snorted in about 2 weeks. Moreover, the visualization is of things that could exist, but don't; they are physically plausible syntheses similar to lucid dreams, as opposed to memories. My visual memory, by contrast, is certainly not what it was, and was never that great to begin with. But suddenly, I seem to have been caught between visually perceiving the present, remembering visual experiences from the recent past (seconds to hours), and peering a few minutes into the visual future based on an extrapolation my present locomotive intentions. It's starting to wear off, but initially it was so severe that I could feel myself staggering, struggling to fix myself in the present, while my head was moving back and forth in time.

Summary: I must have consumed a synergistic concoction... but what? Here's what I ate today: 100g dark chocolate with hazelnuts, eggs, corn, barley, beets, radishes, cabbage, red bell pepper, kidney beans, cheddar cheese, onions, carrots, button mushrooms, soy beans, mango, and blueberries. This is on top of 280 g (over half a pound!) of mixed nuts yesterday, which tends to suppress my visual memory.

A while after eating all this, when my stomach was no longer full, I took: Swanson magnolia extract (400 mg, 90% honokiol), Now choline & inositol (250 mg each), Now Curcubrain (400 mg Longvida), Niagen (125 mg nicotinamide riboside), and Now cat's claw (500 mg uncaria tomentosa).

Of all these items, none are atypical for me, except for the cat's claw, which was my first dose. About 10 minutes after taking the pills, I started to feel dizzy, but I didn't panic because I'd read that some people experience this. I had simply decided to take it because I had read that it's one of the most potent brain plaque disaggregators available from traditional medicine, and a friend of mine had used it to help him recover from cancer. There's nothing that I read which indicated any particular short term effect, apart from dizziness, headaches, and a reduction of tinnitus (all of which I experienced, but could be placebo). But I didn't research it very closely, so perhaps I missed the study where it explains what happened to me. The visual memory enhancement smacks of serotonergic effects, but there was no particular enhancement of artistic cognition, as I would expect from other seratonin agonists such as Longvida.

• Well Written x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#3399 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

From the tone of your post I would suggest backing off supplements for a number of days and letting your body clean out a bit.

Also, try to exercise 30-45 minutes aerobically every day (minimum).

It just feels like you are adopting a shotgun approach and are a bit hypomanic at the moment.

Wish you the best and I'm sure everything will return to baseline after some time.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3400 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:59 AM

From the tone of your post I would suggest backing off supplements for a number of days and letting your body clean out a bit.

Also, try to exercise 30-45 minutes aerobically every day (minimum).

It just feels like you are adopting a shotgun approach and are a bit hypomanic at the moment.

Wish you the best and I'm sure everything will return to baseline after some time.

Thanks Junk Master. That's reasonable advice, and I agree that backing off for a while is in order, although I already jog most days.

BTW I never understood the term "hypomanic", which sounds like "less than the normal level of unjustifiable happiness". In any case, there really wasn't an emotional effect to the whole saga, other than my reasonable surprise at what I was experiencing. There were no distinct energy effects, either, beyond what chocolate normally provides via caffeine. Nor was it a shotgun approach; I've done this many times, minus the cat's claw, with positive effects but nothing like this. It was very much a "small delta" experiment. In fact, I only took half the serving size (500 mg vs 1 g).

What I'm most concerned with is actually not receptor burnout, although obviously that's a serious complication that I hope to avoid by taking a break. My main concern is that there seems to be something here which is very memory-enhancing, if only we could harness it in the context of a regimen backed by science. The longterm neurological effects of cat's claw have been well studied on a molecular level, and are generally positive but for what appears to be a reversible suppression of dopamine. There are also conflicting reports on whether is helps or harms the kidneys over time, but that debate has merit for virtually any drug. Here's what I found:

Carboxy alkyl esters of Uncaria tomentosa augment recovery of sensorineural functions following noise injury

Neuroprotective effects of aqueous extracts of Uncaria tomentosa: Insights from 6-OHDA induced cell damage and transgenic Caenorhabditis elegans model

Binding of an oxindole alkaloid from Uncaria tomentosa to amyloid protein (Abeta1-40)

Electron Microscopy and X-ray Diffraction Studies further Confirm the Efficacy of PTI-00703® (Cat's Claw Derivative) as a Potential Inhibitor of Alzheimer's β-Amyloid Protein Fibrillogenesis

Fiber diffraction as a screen for amyloid inhibitors

Anti-inflammatory effects of natural product formulations on murine dendritic cells

Antiproliferative effects of mitraphylline, a pentacyclic oxindole alkaloid of Uncaria tomentosa on human glioma and neuroblastoma cell lines

Methods for inhibiting and reducing amyloid fibril formation associated with Alzheimer's Disease and other amyloidoses

Pteropodine and isopteropodine positively modulate the function of rat muscarinic M(1) and 5-HT(2) receptors expressed in Xenopus oocyte

That last one might best explain the shortterm effects that I experienced. All in all, various extracts of cat's claw appear to hit a variety of neurotransmitter receptors, not to mention its systemic anticancer and antiinflammatory effects. However, most of the studies seem to focus on one particular compound or family of compounds, as opposed to its broadbased clinical effects. Given the lack of any financial motive to study them, it appears that we might have eschewed this very promising herb into obscurity, outside the realm of oncology, despite its putative neurological benefits. My "episode" just prompted me to dig deeper, and I concluded that it was too strange not to share. You all would know better how to explain it than would I.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 28 July 2016 - 01:05 AM.

#3401 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:22 AM

There is a report of visual enhancement from non-selective PDE inhibition with LLLT.

Something in some kratom as well as some uncaria is very head-clearing for me, and I've long thought mitra- or rhynchophylline were promising candidates (suggested by ingestion of varieties that seemed to lack much of the pesky opiate effect but improved focus very well and felt similar subjectively to U. c). Kratom also contains an adrenergic autoreceptor antagonist, which complicates matters somewhat, but my bet is that whatever is beneficial in common is an NMDA antagonist and has glial anti-inflammatory activity.

Kratom is well-known to be potentiated significantly by caffeine, which is a weak non-selective PDEi, but it wouldn't surprise me if other xanthines typically copresent were more potent.

There's this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22322985

#3402 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

Whenever I see, "Help!," and "...acute visual memory enhancement episode of unprecedented intensity," in the first paragraph I tend to get a little worried about a touch of mania.  I go back to the Isochroma days of 11g piracetam and a couple lines of dianabol (of all things) before he'd launching into epic post about, "slugs crawling along the edge of straight razors."  Ok, that's Brando from Apocalypse Now...lol...

From years of experience with Nootropics and RC's I'm also not a fan when posters mix herbals and substances like snorting betaNGF.  I guess it goes back to my bodybuilding days when I'd see so many newbies at the gym expect "drug-like" effects from supplements like HMB.  Most had no clue that their trainers and every single pro bodybuilder was on 500-1000mg of test per week PLUS another steroid or two, and these were in the days before HGH.

I have no experience with snorting betaNGF but I am extremely intrigued.  Now, while the studies on Cat's Claw are interesting, I am very skeptical you would see a "drug-like" effect from an herbal supplement, especially given the low quality of most of the Cat's Claw available commercially.

Finally, 1/2 pound of mixed nuts!  Wow.  You certainly must not have a weight problem as that's 1400 calories right there.  I'm a huge fan of nuts BTW, but 1/2 pound would send me into gastrointestinal shock.

Anyway, I look forward to following your experiments with betaNGF, though I believe they warrant a thread of their own.

Good luck.

#3403 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

New rodent study.

"Here, we demonstrate that intranasal insulin improves cognitive deficits, ameliorates defective brain insulin signaling, and strongly reduces β-amyloid (Aβ) production and plaque formation after 6 weeks of treatment in 4.5-month-old APPswe/PS1dE9 (APP/PS1) mice."

"In addition, intranasal insulin effectively promotes hippocampal neurogenesis in APP/PS1 mice."

I'm pretty sure most of you guys know how to make it at home by now. =) 

But just in case. http://www.lostfalco...anasal-insulin/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/27457264

Aging Cell. 2016 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/acel.12498. [Epub ahead of print]

Intranasal insulin alleviates cognitive deficits and amyloid pathology in young adult APPswe/PS1dE9 mice.

Abstract

Brain insulin signaling deficits contribute to multiple pathological features of Alzheimer's disease (AD). Although intranasal insulin has shown efficacy in patients with AD, the underlying mechanisms remain largely unillustrated. Here, we demonstrate that intranasal insulin improves cognitive deficits, ameliorates defective brain insulin signaling, and strongly reduces β-amyloid (Aβ) production and plaque formation after 6 weeks of treatment in 4.5-month-old APPswe/PS1dE9 (APP/PS1) mice. Furthermore, c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation, which plays a pivotal role in insulin resistance and AD pathologies, is significantly inhibited. The alleviation of amyloid pathology by intranasal insulin results mainly from enhanced nonamyloidogenic processing and compromised amyloidogenic processing of amyloid precursor protein (APP), and from a reduction in apolipoprotein E protein which is involved in Aβ metabolism. In addition, intranasal insulin effectively promotes hippocampal neurogenesis in APP/PS1 mice. This study, exploring the mechanisms underlying the beneficial effects of intranasal insulin on Aβ pathologies in vivo for the first time, highlights important preclinical evidence that intranasal insulin is potentially an effective therapeutic method for the prevention and treatment of AD.

Edited by lostfalco, 29 July 2016 - 02:44 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#3404 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:45 AM

@macropsia: "There is a report of visual enhancement from non-selective PDE inhibition with LLLT." -- Well, that's interesting because I did an 11-minute LLLT session the day before the event, and had not done one in about a month. While it's not "the" explanation, it might be one of key factors. Never would have thought of that.

If it's true that something in UC hits NMDA receptors, it might explain things better, because AFAIK I've never taken anything that would hit them particularly hard, e.g. nicotine.

Your study on rhynchophylline is interesting because it shows how this UC extract can downregulate microglial activity, thereby reducing neuroinflammation, while at the same time (based on the studies I posted above), binding up beta amyloid and alphasynuclein, which is an important function that would be normally done by  microglia (via macroautophagy). It's kind of like getting the benefits, without the drawbacks, of immune activation in the brain.

I've never heard of kratom, so thanks for adding an item to my research list.

@Junk Master: Yeah I guess I sounded a bit panicked. I really just literally meant what I wrote, which is that I wanted help figuring out how to prevent receptor burnout, but more importantly, I just wanted to share an anecdote that might stimulate more controlled experiments.

There is already a thread about intranasal (beta)NGF here. I don't think it was acutely involved, as my last spray had been weeks ago.

Yeah I'm a nut addict in remission. I used to eat about a kg a week, but I cut back after I realized that they induce brain fog. Now I just eat half a pound a week because moderate nut consumption is associated with several years' life extension. The benefits of selenium notwithstanding, this is really surprising because nuts are loaded with omega-6, even in their raw unroasted state. The calories, at least, don't really matter because they're ketogenic and thermogenic (which isn't all good news, despite what some keto enthusiasts assert).

Anyway thanks to both of you for your insights. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

#3405 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:52 AM

@macropsia: "There is a report of visual enhancement from non-selective PDE inhibition with LLLT." -- Well, that's interesting because I did an 11-minute LLLT session the day before the event, and had not done one in about a month. While it's not "the" explanation, it might be one of key factors. Never would have thought of that.

Yeah resveratrol_guy, LLLT upregulates numerous growth factors in addition to mitochondrial enhancement. I'd say that's more likely a contributing factor than most herbs. I get an enhanced ability to visualize from LLLT. Of course, you were taking so many things that it's hard to say for sure. I can relate. ha

Glad you don't seem manic. Was kinda worried about you there for a second. =)

Edited by lostfalco, 29 July 2016 - 03:23 AM.

• Informative x 1

#3406 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

Do you know of any suspected contraindications with intranasal insulin? For example, are insulin mimetics (cinnamon extract) or hypoglycemic substances such as matcha, curcumin, etc probably safe to use in conjunction with it?

#3407 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

Do you know of any suspected contraindications with intranasal insulin? For example, are insulin mimetics (cinnamon extract) or hypoglycemic substances such as matcha, curcumin, etc probably safe to use in conjunction with it?

Hey Adaptogen, the good thing about intranasal administration is that it significantly reduces (though it doesn't eliminate) the probability of negative interactions. 

Though I'm not a doctor (as if that isn't obvious =)), I think those substances should be fine. In fact, I've actually taken longvida curcumin and ceylon cinnamon with i-insulin without any problems. 

Edited by lostfalco, 29 July 2016 - 03:16 AM.

• like x 1

#3408 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:31 AM

Hey Adaptogen, the good thing about intranasal administration is that it significantly reduces (though it doesn't eliminate) the probability of negative interactions. 

Though I'm not a doctor (as if that isn't obvious =)), I think those substances should be fine. In fact, I've actually taken longvida curcumin and ceylon cinnamon with i-insulin without any problems. 

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but do we as yet have any data on rats who took intranasal insulin for the majority of their adult lives? (I'm still trying to get a handle on the tradeoff between all the benefits you've presented, which are quite compelling, and the opaque T3D risk.)

And thanks again for the LLLT education.

#3409 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but do we as yet have any data on rats who took intranasal insulin for the majority of their adult lives? (I'm still trying to get a handle on the tradeoff between all the benefits you've presented, which are quite compelling, and the opaque T3D risk.)

And thanks again for the LLLT education.

No problem, resveratrol_guy. =)

The situation is still the same as when we discussed it a few months ago. The SNIFF trial is still ongoing and will test the effects of 1.5 years of i-insulin in humans. 

The longest human study using daily i-insulin administration has been four months and the subjects showed enhanced function when tested two months after stopping i-insulin. I would consider that four month period to be an upper limit until data from the SNIFF trial comes in. 

There was a study (INIT I) that tested 6 month administration in humans but they only took it twice per week (after taking it daily for 10 days). There were no adverse events and this led to a bigger trial (INIT II) to test i-insulin as a vaccine/cure for type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes. 

You can read all about here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INIT_II

It's super interesting. 

Here are pretty much all of the human studies if you want to check them out. http://www.lostfalco...ain-injury-etc/

Edited by lostfalco, 29 July 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#3410 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Recent review article on molecular hydrogen. =)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/27281176

Curr Neuropharmacol. 2016 Jun 7. [Epub ahead of print]

Molecular Hydrogen as a Neuroprotective Agent.

Oxidative stress and neuroinflammation cause many neurological disorders. Recently, it was reported that molecular hydrogen (H2) functions as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. The routes of H2 administration in animal model and human clinical studies are roughly classified into three types, inhalation of H2 gas, drinking H2-dissolved water, and injection of H2-dissolved saline. This review discusses some of the remarkable progress that has been made in the research of H2 use for neurological disorders, such as cerebrovascular diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, and neonatal brain disorders. Although most neurological disorders are currently incurable, these studies suggest the clinical potential of H2 administration for their prevention, treatment, and mitigation. Several of the potential effectors of H2 will also be discussed, including cell signaling molecules and hormones that are responsible for preventing oxidative stress and inflammation. Nevertheless, further investigation will be required to determine the direct target molecule of H2.

I've run into H2 again and again and it does seem really promising. But delivery is the main ?? for me when it comes to H2. Is anyone here using it? What form, where do you buy it?

#3411 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

I've run into H2 again and again and it does seem really promising. But delivery is the main ?? for me when it comes to H2. Is anyone here using it? What form, where do you buy it?

Hey Cosmicalstorm, I use this device but it's too expensive for me to recommend at the moment. https://www.amazon.c...=hydrogen water

I'm looking into other options to recommend to people. 

#3412 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

The longest human study using daily i-insulin administration has been four months and the subjects showed enhanced function when tested two months after stopping i-insulin.

Enhanced function? Do you mean to say that i-insulin enhances systemic insulin sensitivity outside the CNS -- in other words that it does exactly the opposite of what we would expect, were we to administer IV insulin over a protracted period of time? (I take Groundhog Day's comment to this effect at face value, as counterintuitive as it is.) I also wonder if dosing in phase (or out of phase) with postprandial endogenous insulin secretion is optimal for cognitive and/or insulin sensitivity effects.

The other info you provided was nicely packaged for everyone, so thanks. I can't read as fast as you, but I do my best to keep up.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 30 July 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#3413 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hey Cosmicalstorm, I use this device but it's too expensive for me to recommend at the moment. https://www.amazon.c...=hydrogen water

I'm looking into other options to recommend to people. 

WOW. What made you cross the line a buy that machine? Is there some specific study or website that you can direct me to?

I guess it might be possible to sell that water for profit to some wider community that could be convinced. The local supplement store does that with "Kangen" water but I'm sceptic of that.

#3414 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

Enhanced function? Do you mean to say that i-insulin enhances systemic insulin sensitivity outside the CNS -- in other words that it does exactly the opposite of what we would expect, were we to administer IV insulin over a protracted period of time? (I take Groundhog Day's comment to this effect at face value, as counterintuitive as it is.) I also wonder if dosing in phase (or out of phase) with postprandial endogenous insulin secretion is optimal for cognitive and/or insulin sensitivity effects.

The other info you provided was nicely packaged for everyone, so thanks. I can't read as fast as you, but I do my best to keep up.

Peripheral insulin sensitivity is one possible mechanism by which i-insulin works. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25028522

Diabetes. 2014 Dec;63(12):4083-8. doi: 10.2337/db14-0477. Epub 2014 Jul 15.

Central insulin administration improves whole-body insulin sensitivity via hypothalamus and parasympathetic outputs in men.

Abstract

Animal studies suggest that insulin action in the brain is involved in the regulation of peripheral insulin sensitivity. Whether this holds true in humans is unknown. Using intranasal application of insulin to the human brain, we studied the impacts of brain insulin action on whole-body insulin sensitivity and the mechanisms involved in this process. Insulin sensitivity was assessed by hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic glucose clamp before and after intranasal application of insulin and placebo in randomized order in lean and obese men. After insulin spray application in lean subjects, a higher glucose infusion rate was necessary to maintain euglycemia compared with placebo. Accordingly, clamp-derived insulin sensitivity index improved after insulin spray. In obese subjects, this insulin-sensitizing effect could not be detected. Change in the high-frequency band of heart rate variability, an estimate of parasympathetic output, correlated positively with change in whole-body insulin sensitivity after intranasal insulin. Improvement in whole-body insulin sensitivity correlated with the change in hypothalamic activity as assessed by functional magnetic resonance imaging. Intranasal insulin improves peripheral insulin sensitivity in lean but not in obese men. Furthermore, brain-derived peripheral insulinsensitization is associated with hypothalamic activity and parasympathetic outputs. Thus, the findings provide novel insights into the regulation of insulin sensitivity and the pathogenesis of insulin resistance in humans.

Edited by lostfalco, 30 July 2016 - 01:43 PM.

• Informative x 1

#3415 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

WOW. What made you cross the line a buy that machine? Is there some specific study or website that you can direct me to?

I guess it might be possible to sell that water for profit to some wider community that could be convinced. The local supplement store does that with "Kangen" water but I'm sceptic of that.

Here's a very nice review study on H2. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4610055/

Med Gas Res. 2015 Oct 19;5:12. doi: 10.1186/s13618-015-0035-1. eCollection 2015.

Beneficial biological effects and the underlying mechanisms of molecular hydrogen - comprehensive review of 321 original articles.

Abstract

Therapeutic effects of molecular hydrogen for a wide range of disease models and human diseases have been investigated since 2007. A total of 321 original articles have been published from 2007 to June 2015. Most studies have been conducted in Japan, China, and the USA. About three-quarters of the articles show the effects in mice and rats. The number of clinical trials is increasing every year. In most diseases, the effect of hydrogen has been reported with hydrogen water or hydrogen gas, which was followed by confirmation of the effect with hydrogen-rich saline. Hydrogen water is mostly given ad libitum. Hydrogen gas of less than 4 % is given by inhalation. The effects have been reported in essentially all organs covering 31 disease categories that can be subdivided into 166 disease models, human diseases, treatment-associated pathologies, and pathophysiological conditions of plants with a predominance of oxidative stress-mediated diseases and inflammatory diseases. Specific extinctions of hydroxyl radical and peroxynitrite were initially presented, but the radical-scavenging effect of hydrogen cannot be held solely accountable for its drastic effects. We and others have shown that the effects can be mediated by modulating activities and expressions of various molecules such as Lyn, ERK, p38, JNK, ASK1, Akt, GTP-Rac1, iNOS, Nox1, NF-κB p65, IκBα, STAT3, NFATc1, c-Fos, and ghrelin. Master regulator(s) that drive these modifications, however, remain to be elucidated and are currently being extensively investigated.

Edited by lostfalco, 30 July 2016 - 01:52 PM.

• Informative x 1

#3416 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

Hey, what's up my friends? I just finished a post on how intranasal insulin has been used to inhibit caloric intake and enhance fat loss in men in the scientific studies. Since I like to name things I'm calling it The Intranasal Insulin Diet.

Here's a link to the post. The Intranasal Insulin Diet Part 1: How To Eat 192.57 Fewer Calories and Lose 20lbs of Fat With No Effort!

http://www.lostfalco...in-diet-part-1/

What's really cool is the underlying theory in the literature which is this: as brain energy levels go up, food intake goes down. 

Ya know, an inverse relationship and all.

Since we've been talking about brain ATP levels in this thread for over three years now, a few of us might know a little something about this. =) 

Anyway, I hope the post is informative and helps you or someone you know!

Edited by lostfalco, 01 August 2016 - 04:42 AM.

• like x 1

#3417 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hey, what's up my friends? I just finished a post on how intranasal insulin has been used to inhibit caloric intake and enhance fat loss in men in the scientific studies. Since I like to name things I'm calling it The Intranasal Insulin Diet.

Here's a link to the post. The Intranasal Insulin Diet Part 1: How To Eat 192.57 Fewer Calories and Lose 20lbs of Fat With No Effort!

http://www.lostfalco...in-diet-part-1/

What's really cool is the underlying theory in the literature which is this: as brain energy levels go up, food intake goes down. 

Ya know, an inverse relationship and all.

Since we've been talking about brain ATP levels in this thread for over three years now, a few of us might know a little something about this. =) 

Anyway, I hope the post is informative and helps you or someone you know!

Great Post, And I think your marketing post titles are getting better! (That is a compliment)

Broad questions anyone chime in if available, and if you don't know all good just checking.

With everything from the god stack + anything past that post, have you found and reason to think that any of these would have a negative reaction to blood thinners? I have recently found quite good results with certain health concerns of mine with specific blood thinners but I am super cautious about the effects of blood thinners coupled with other drugs. IF you have seen anything to give this cause for concern with any methods Let me know (:

Mk677- So it appears it increases deep sleep ( as everyone on this thread may be aware of ) - Would this in term Promote the need for less sleep ?

And has your sleep changed on Agomelatine(?) 

Thanks for all the help, and patience guys! 

#3418 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

Great Post, And I think your marketing post titles are getting better! (That is a compliment)

Broad questions anyone chime in if available, and if you don't know all good just checking.

With everything from the god stack + anything past that post, have you found and reason to think that any of these would have a negative reaction to blood thinners? I have recently found quite good results with certain health concerns of mine with specific blood thinners but I am super cautious about the effects of blood thinners coupled with other drugs. IF you have seen anything to give this cause for concern with any methods Let me know (:

Mk677- So it appears it increases deep sleep ( as everyone on this thread may be aware of ) - Would this in term Promote the need for less sleep ?

And has your sleep changed on Agomelatine(?) 

Thanks for all the help, and patience guys! 

Thanks, Bluecheer!

Regarding blood thinners, the first two things that come to mind are ibudilast (which inhibits platelet aggregation) and sildenafil/tadalafil. I-insulin has some vasodilatory effects as well.

With MK-677 I find I actually sleep a little bit more, tbh.

I haven't noticed any sleep changes on Agomelatine.

Of course, as you know, ymmv. =)

#3419 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

Really enjoyed the post on intranasal insulin on your site.

My question is have you ever considered wearing a continuous blood glucose monitor a la Tim Ferriss?

https://www.dexcom.com

I'd love to see what the combination of short, vigorous exercise before meals combined with intranasal insulin would do to body recomposition!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3420 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Really enjoyed the post on intranasal insulin on your site.

My question is have you ever considered wearing a continuous blood glucose monitor a la Tim Ferriss?

https://www.dexcom.com

I'd love to see what the combination of short, vigorous exercise before meals combined with intranasal insulin would do to body recomposition!

Thanks, Junk Master!

The continuous glucose monitor is a really interesting idea.

I checked out the device and it's a bit pricey for me at the moment but I will definitely file it away in the future experiments category. I would love to try it at some point. 

I'm with you on body recomp! We now have a substance that causes us to eat less, burns fat, and enhances postprandial (post meal) thermogenesis. Combine that with intense exercise and occasional fasting and we have a VERY powerful set of tools to change our bodies. Pretty cool. 

Here's the post if anyone is wondering what we're talking about. http://www.lostfalco...in-diet-part-1/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20876713

Diabetes. 2011 Jan;60(1):114-8. doi: 10.2337/db10-0329. Epub 2010 Sep 28.

Intranasal insulin enhances postprandial thermogenesis and lowers postprandial serum insulin levels in healthy men.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: 

Animal studies indicate a prominent role of brain insulin signaling in the regulation of peripheral energy metabolism. We determined the effect of intranasal insulin, which directly targets the brain, on glucose metabolism and energy expenditure in humans.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: 

In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, balanced within-subject comparison, 19 healthy normal-weight men (18-26 years old) were intranasally administered 160 IU human insulin after an overnight fast. Energy expenditure assessed via indirect calorimetry and blood concentrations of glucose, insulin, C-peptide, and free fatty acids (FFAs) were measured before and after insulin administration and the subsequent consumption of a high-calorie liquid meal of 900 kcal.

RESULTS: 

Intranasal insulin, compared with placebo, increased postprandial energy expenditure, i.e., diet-induced thermogenesis, and decreased postprandial concentrations of circulating insulin and C-peptide, whereas postprandial plasma glucose concentrations did not differ from placebo values. Intranasal insulin also induced a transient decrease in prandial serum FFA levels.

CONCLUSIONS: 

Enhancing brain insulin signaling by means of intranasal insulin administration enhances the acute thermoregulatory and glucoregulatory response to food intake, suggesting that central nervous insulin contributes to the control of whole-body energy homeostasis in humans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15504987

Diabetes. 2004 Nov;53(11):3024-9.

Intranasal insulin reduces body fat in men but not in women.
Abstract

Insulin acts in the central nervous system to reduce food intake and body weight and is considered a major adiposity signal. After intranasaladministration, insulin enters the cerebrospinal fluid compartment and alters brain functions in the absence of substantial absorption into the blood stream. Here we report the effects of 8 weeks of intranasal administration of insulin (4 x 40 IU/day) or placebo to two groups of healthy human subjects (12 men and 8 women in each group). The insulin-treated men lost 1.28 kg body wt and 1.38 kg of body fat, and their waist circumference decreased by 1.63 cm. Plasma leptin levels dropped by an average of 27%. In contrast, the insulin-treated women did not lose body fat and gained 1.04 kg body wt due to a rise in extracellular water. Our results provide a strong, first confirmation in humans that insulin acts as a negative feedback signal in the regulation of adiposity and point to a differential sensitivity to the catabolic effects of insulin based on sex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18230654

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Apr;93(4):1339-44. doi: 10.1210/jc.2007-2606. Epub 2008 Jan 29.

Differential sensitivity of men and women to anorexigenic and memory-improving effects of intranasal insulin.
Abstract
CONTEXT: 

Brain insulin is critically involved in the regulation of body weight and memory processing. Long-term administration of intranasal insulinreduces body weight in men, but not in women, while improving hippocampus-dependent memory processing in both genders.

OBJECTIVES: 

Our objectives were to assess the effects of a single dose of intranasal insulin on food intake and memory function in men and women, and to determine any gender differences.

METHODS: 

A total of 32 healthy, normal-weight subjects (14 men, 18 women) were intranasally administered 160 IU regular human insulin or vehicle before performing a hippocampus-dependent two-dimensional-object location task, a working memory task (digit span), and a hippocampus-independent mirror tracing task. Subsequently, food intake from an ad libitum breakfast buffet was measured.

RESULTS: 

Insulin treatment decreased food intake in men but not in women (difference to placebo condition, men: -192.57 +/- 78.48 kcal, P < 0.03; women: 18.54 +/- 42.89 kcal, P > 0.67). In contrast, hippocampus-dependent memory and working memory were improved in women (P < 0.03, P < 0.05, respectively), whereas men did not benefit from acute insulin treatment (P > 0.17, P > 0.20). Performance on the hippocampus-independent mirror tracing task was not affected by insulin in women or men.

CONCLUSIONS: 

In accordance with animal data, results indicate that men are more sensitive than women to the acute anorexigenic effect of central nervous insulin signaling, whereas insulin's beneficial effect on hippocampus-dependent memory functions is more pronounced in women. Our findings provide support for the notion of a fundamental gender difference in central nervous insulin signaling that pertains to the regulation of energy homeostasis and memory functions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By