Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3481 MindExplorer

• 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

Questions related to i-insulin:

1. What are your thoughts on meta-cresol?
2. Did that longitudinal study ever finish?
3. Did it use human insulin that was preserved with meta-cresol like Novolin-R?

1. I messaged Dr. Suzanne Craft to get her thoughts on meta-cresol in intransal insulin. She is Professor of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine at Wake Forest and is one of the leading researchers on intranasal insulin as a treatment for Alzheimer's. She's actually spearheading the SNIFF trial. https://www.nia.nih....etfulness-sniff

Here's her faculty page. http://www.wakehealt...aft-Suzanne.htm

Anyway, here was her response when I asked her about the risk of meta-cresol in i-insulin (quoted with permission).

"You are correct that meta-cresol is frequently used as a preservative for insulin and that animal studies have raised questions about its safety in large doses or after prolonged exposure. As with most preservatives, there is a balance that has to be achieved between the possible negative effects of the preservative and the possible negative effects of contaminated or “spoiled” insulin, particularly when one is targeting the brain, which is susceptible to bacterial infections. Several companies are working on developing meta-cresol-free insulin formulations and hopefully they will be available soon to test for the purpose of treating neurodegenerative disease, but currently they are not widely available and they are expensive relative to regular insulin. Regarding the specific risk for Alzheimer’s patients, as it is a fatal disease with no current effective treatments, I believe most scientists would agree that the potential benefit of the insulin outweighs the risks of the meta-cresol since those risks have not been definitively documented in humans at the doses used in current insulin formulations."

2. SNIFF is scheduled to finish in 2017.

3. Almost certainly yes...but I say 'almost' because the results haven't been published yet. Virtually every available insulin has metacresol in it. 

4. I've been in discussions with Paul at Ceretropic and with the owner of irc.bio about providing a metacresol free insulin formulation and they were both interested in looking into it. If people want to message them to show there is demand...I wouldn't complain. =)

Ceretropic: https://www.reddit.c...terYouAreSoDumb

irc.bio: https://irc.bio/contact-us/

Thanks! I've messaged MYASD.

(It makes you wonder what the replacement would be, though. Maybe i-insulin doesn't work but metacresol hormesis enhances brain power!)

:D

#3482 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Thanks! I've messaged MYASD.

Awesome! The more options we have, the better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3483 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

I mentioned earlier in the thread I was going to test ibudilast for ulcerative colitis. Unfortunately it didn't help any.

Nootropic properties:

* Crystal clear cognition.

* Improved memory.

I'm keeping the pills for a later date, and focusing on my gut. I've restarted LLLT—since it's not systemic.

Hat tip to lostfalco for LLLT. Again.

#3484 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

I mentioned earlier in the thread I was going to test ibudilast for ulcerative colitis. Unfortunately it didn't help any.

Nootropic properties:

* Improved memory.

I'm keeping the pills for a later date, and focusing on my gut. I've restarted LLLT—since it's not systemic.

Hey Razor, thanks for the update! Sorry ibudilast didn't help for ulcerative colitis. Cool it helped with your cognition though. I'm with you...it makes me insanely focused.

Have you talked to John Brisson and/or Jason Hooper about your gut issues? They are both intelligent guys. Here's their site: http://fixyourgut.com/

They are also active on the Bulletproof Forums if you want to try to get some free advice out of them. =)

John Brisson  http://forum.bulletp...0-john-brisson/

Jason Hooper  http://forum.bulletp...r/3078-jason-h/

Edited by lostfalco, 24 August 2016 - 12:43 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#3485 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

Pretty cool. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18348871

Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008 Jun;1783(6):994-1002. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2008.02.016. Epub 2008 Feb 29.

Insulin neuroprotection against oxidative stress is mediated by Akt and GSK-3beta signaling pathways and changes in protein expression.
Abstract

Previously we demonstrated that insulin protects against neuronal oxidative stress by restoring antioxidants and energy metabolism. In this study, we analysed how insulin influences insulin-(IR) and insulin growth factor-1 receptor (IGF-1R) intracellular signaling pathways after oxidative stress caused by ascorbate/Fe2+ in rat cortical neurons. Insulin prevented oxidative stress-induced decrease in tyrosine phosphorylation of IR and IGF-1R and Akt inactivation. Insulin also decreased the active form of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta (GSK-3beta) upon oxidation. Since phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI-3K)/Akt-mediated inhibition of GSK-3beta may stimulate protein synthesis and decrease apoptosis, we analysed mRNA and protein expression of "candidate" proteins involved in antioxidant defense, glucose metabolism and apoptosis. Insulin prevented oxidative stress-induced increase in glutathione peroxidase-1 and decrease in hexokinase-II expression, supporting previous findings of changes in glutathione redox cycle and glycolysis. Moreover, insulin precluded Bcl-2 decrease and caspase-3 increased expression. Concordantly, insulin abolished caspase-3 activity and DNA fragmentation caused by oxidative stress. Thus, insulin-mediated activation of IR/IGF-1R stimulates PI-3K/Akt and inhibits GSK-3beta signaling pathways, modifying neuronal antioxidant defense-, glucose metabolism- and anti-apoptotic-associated protein synthesis. These and previous data implicate insulin as a promising neuroprotective agent against oxidative stress associated with neurodegenerative diseases.

#3486 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:45 AM

Nootropic properties:

* Improved memory.

Ulcerative colitis? Have a look at this YouTube link directly to the time in Super Juice Me where it's discussed. Too bad there's no money to be made selling purple cabbage juice!

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 25 August 2016 - 02:48 AM.

• like x 1

#3487 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

Have you talked to John Brisson and/or Jason Hooper about your gut issues? They are both intelligent guys. Here's their site: http://fixyourgut.com/

They are also active on the Bulletproof Forums if you want to try to get some free advice out of them. =)

I had a look at the site. It seems they're mostly dealing with the small intestine—SIBO, GERD, things like that. Ulcerative colitis is a condition of the large intestine, so the recommendations don't overlap (as far as I can tell).

I've subscribed to their site. They may post something in the future which piques my interest. 

I do appreciate the recommendation. Thanks.

#3488 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Ulcerative colitis? Have a look at this YouTube link directly to the time in Super Juice Me where it's discussed. Too bad there's no money to be made selling purple cabbage juice!

I'll give that a watch. Thanks!

#3489 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

I had a look at the site. It seems they're mostly dealing with the small intestine—SIBO, GERD, things like that. Ulcerative colitis is a condition of the large intestine, so the recommendations don't overlap (as far as I can tell).

I've subscribed to their site. They may post something in the future which piques my interest. 

No problem, Razor. I was just thinking it might be worth it to drop them a quick message and ask their recommendations for ulcerative colitis. Might help, might not. Regardless, I hope you get it sorted out. =)

#3490 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

I've heard of several people with UC going into remission with a paleo-centric diet, autoimmune paleo....

http://empoweredsust...paleo-protocol/

• like x 1

#3491 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Not to get too hipster on you.  Kind of tough to pull off the hipster thing when close to 50, but I now brew my own Kombucha, instead of paying a ridiculous 3 dollars a bottle, and find it quite beneficial to my stomach issues.

Now what I really want to play around with is brewing Kombucha with Coca leaves...

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#3492 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

I've heard of several people with UC going into remission with a paleo-centric diet, autoimmune paleo....

http://empoweredsust...paleo-protocol/

Thanks for the suggestion.

People with UC tend to react differently with regards to diet. There's a theory that UC is a collection of disorders which present similar symptoms—which would make sense prima facie.

For me, fat from meat tends to be v problematic. Butter on the other hand: excellent. I think it's because of the butyrate.

At some point in the near future I'll create a thread dedicated to ulcerative colitis. That way we can keep this thread on topic, and consolidate the information there.

Edited by Razor444, 26 August 2016 - 10:24 AM.

• Agree x 1

#3493 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

I was joking about the Coca leaves...should have made that clear... :blush:

#3494 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

God bless H2. Elixir from the universe.

That's all I have to say.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3495 csimon02

• 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Anecdotal, but I think either intranasal insulin or the galantamin + ibudilast has increase my testosterone.

I've been on TRT (for hypogonadism) for 20 years and the doc checks me every 6 months and on TRT I usually test around 500 ng/dL and doc is happy. My results last week show that I'm 1085 ng/dL and doc wants to try no TRT for awhile!

The only things I've changed is  that for 2 months I've been doing intranasal insulin twice a day, once a day 8mg galantamin + twice a day 10 mg of ibudilast.

I'm theorizing that my cause of low T is Autoimmune hypophysitis and that the ibudilast is helping the inflammed pituitary. Just a theory, just now reading up on hypophsitis.

Notable data:

I'm 45 y/o male

Heavy brain fog until recently, (thanks LF)

diagnosed Celiac (autoimmune)

diagnosed hypogonadism (TRT)

My dad just passed away from Lewy Body Syndrome (dementia) and it runs in my family.

What kind of results are you seeing?

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#3496 Nuke

• 126 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hi csimon

I have have to agree with you. I only tried IN-insulin for a month at 20ui a day, but I'm pretty sure I have not been as horny in my life. It may be a pretty crappy measurement, that is why I have not brought it up yet. My thought was maybe it has to do with Gonadotropin-releasing hormone being released in the hypothalamus, as I remember that insulin can have an effect there.

• Agree x 1

#3497 pantastic

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

Has anybody had some experience with Okinawa coral calcium, or Brazilian coral? Some companies claim

that way they could generate hydrogen for 48 hours...

Edited by pantastic, 27 August 2016 - 08:36 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#3498 sentics

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

Intranasal Insulin in Europe?

over here it's hard to get one's hands on insulin, especially the one you recommend. i might be able to purchase humalog insulin lispro though (at a very high price, alas). do you think it would work? it says rDNA origin.

#3499 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

over here it's hard to get one's hands on insulin, especially the one you recommend. i might be able to purchase humalog insulin lispro though (at a very high price, alas). do you think it would work? it says rDNA origin.

novolin-r is recombinant dna origin and what most of us seem to be using in the US.

#3500 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

Hey sentics, the data on lispro is a little mixed. Are you able to get regular human insulin or insulin aspart?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16936707

Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007 Jan;32(1):239-43. Epub 2006 Aug 16.

Intranasal insulin improves memory in humans: superiority of insulin aspart.

Abstract

There is compelling evidence that intranasal administration of regular human insulin (RH-I) improves memory in humans. Owing to the reduced tendency of its molecules to form hexamers, the rapid-acting insulin analog insulin aspart (ASP-I) is more rapidly absorbed than RH-I after subcutaneous administration. Since after intranasal insulin administration, ASP-I may also be expected to access the brain, we examined whether intranasal ASP-I has stronger beneficial effects on declarative memory than RH-I in humans. Acute (40 IU) and long-term (4 x 40 IU/day over 8 weeks) effects of intranasally administered ASP-I, RH-I, and placebo on declarative memory (word lists) were assessed in 36 healthy men in a between-subject design. Plasma insulin and glucose levels were not affected. After 8 weeks of treatment, however, word list recall was improved compared to placebo in both the ASP-I (p<0.01) and the RH-I groups (p<0.05). ASP-I-treated subjects performed even better than those of the RH-I-treated group (p<0.05). Our results indicate that insulin-induced memory improvement can be enhanced by using ASP-I. This finding may be especially relevant for a potential clinical administration of intranasal insulin in the treatment of memory disorders like Alzheimer's disease.

Edited by lostfalco, 28 August 2016 - 01:05 PM.

#3501 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Has anybody had some experience with Okinawa coral calcium, or Brazilian coral? Some companies claim

that way they could generate hydrogen for 48 hours...

Hey pantastic, is the claim that it increases hydrogen production through the microbiome?

Awesome, rikelme! Glad it's working so well for you. It's been almost a month now, right?

#3502 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Anecdotal, but I think either intranasal insulin or the galantamin + ibudilast has increase my testosterone.

I've been on TRT (for hypogonadism) for 20 years and the doc checks me every 6 months and on TRT I usually test around 500 ng/dL and doc is happy. My results last week show that I'm 1085 ng/dL and doc wants to try no TRT for awhile!

The only things I've changed is  that for 2 months I've been doing intranasal insulin twice a day, once a day 8mg galantamin + twice a day 10 mg of ibudilast.

I'm theorizing that my cause of low T is Autoimmune hypophysitis and that the ibudilast is helping the inflammed pituitary. Just a theory, just now reading up on hypophsitis.

Notable data:

I'm 45 y/o male

Heavy brain fog until recently, (thanks LF)

diagnosed Celiac (autoimmune)

diagnosed hypogonadism (TRT)

My dad just passed away from Lewy Body Syndrome (dementia) and it runs in my family.

Hey csimon02, I'm so sorry to hear about your father.

My guess regarding testosterone is the same as yours...inflammation. Of course, it could be so many other things but intranasal insulin on top of ibudilast and galantamine is going to be VERY anti-inflammatory in the brain. Combine that with the fact that you mentioned heavy brain fog and Celiac and inflammation reduction is a pretty plausible hypothesis. Very cool it's working for you! 

#3503 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi csimon

I have have to agree with you. I only tried IN-insulin for a month at 20ui a day, but I'm pretty sure I have not been as horny in my life. It may be a pretty crappy measurement, that is why I have not brought it up yet. My thought was maybe it has to do with Gonadotropin-releasing hormone being released in the hypothalamus, as I remember that insulin can have an effect there.

Yep, I'm with you Nuke. I actually think intranasal insulin has some serious promise for erectile dysfunction. If anyone out there is struggling with it then I'd suggest giving i-insulin a go. 

Gonadotropin-releasing hormone is a reasonable guess. I'd also throw melanocortin signaling out there as a possibility for i-insulin. It's well known that melanotan ii enhances sexual desire and erectile function and insulin acts on similar receptors. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16922590

Drugs R D. 2006;7(5):289-302.

The melanocortin system as a therapeutic treatment target for adiposity and adiposopathy.

Author information
  • 1L-MARC Research Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40213, USA. HBaysMD@aol.com
Abstract

The melanocortin system is an important treatment target towards improving both adiposity (excessive body fat) and adiposopathy (dysfunctional body fat). Melanocortin agonism can be achieved by increasing CNS leptin and/or insulin activity, which is dependent upon peripheral leptin/insulin production, transport across the blood-brain barrier (potentially relevant to inhaled/nasal insulin), and effects upon CNS target receptors. Melanocortin agonism may also be achieved through inhibiting inverse agonists of melanocortin receptors (such as inhibition of agouti-related peptide), and directly through selective melanocortin receptor ligands such as piperazine, piperidine, pyridazinone, tetrahydropyran, thiadiazole and diazole derivatives. While the development of most (but not all) neuropeptide Y inhibitors as monotherapy interventions have demonstrated limited efficacy thus far, it is possible that the combination of a neuropeptide Y inhibitor with a selective melanocortin receptor ligand may provide improved weight loss over that of either agent alone. In general, melanocortin system agonism promotes weight loss through decreasing appetite, increasing sympathetic nervous system activity, and modulating thyroid-releasing hormone, corticotropin-releasing hormone, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, melanin-concentrating hormone and orexin. Of particular interest, given the development of cannabinoid receptor antagonists as weight loss agents, is the fact that receptors in the endocannabinoid system are also affected by the melanocortin system. It will only be through the conduct of human clinical trials that melanocortin agonists will be proven to reduce adiposity to a meaningful degree, and, as importantly, be proven to improve adiposopathy, and thus effectively treat excessive fat-related metabolic diseases.

Edited by lostfalco, 28 August 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#3504 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

Lostfalco,

Is there anything to these studies, you think?

Hydrogen-related enhancement of in vivo antioxidant ability in the brain of rats fed coral calcium hydride.

Hippocampal gene network analysis suggests that coral calcium hydride may reduce accelerated senescence in mice

Coral calcium hydride prevents hepatic steatosis in high fat diet-induced obese rats: A potent mitochondrial nutrient and phase II enzyme inducer

Moreover, CCH effectively improved HFD-induced hepatic mitochondrial dysfunction, reduced oxidative stress, and activated phase II enzymes. Our results suggest that CCH is an efficient hydrogen-rich agent, which could prevent HFD-induced NAFLD via activating phase II enzymes and improving mitochondrial function.

Edited by Groundhog Day, 28 August 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#3505 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

Ah ha!

Now it all makes sense: I've broken out in acne on my forehead, nose, temples, back, and neck! My libido is sky high! 

After starting my IN trial, I'd definitely say my symptoms are consistent with an increase in T. lol

I'm not starting from a low base either. I'm a normal, healthy, late 20s dude!

#3506 pantastic

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

Lostfaclo - thanks for directions, gonna make more research on that topic.

Edited by pantastic, 29 August 2016 - 06:42 AM.

#3507 rock_zaozz

• 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

I already have high testosterone and i prompt to have acné , i always have to be careful about that , i havent tryed IN yet , what r youre thoughts lostfalco ?? Thanks man
  • Ill informed x 1

#3508 Norcient

• 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

So based on your recommendations I bought an oxygen concentrator (though not the one you linked, but also a really high quality one). Only played around with it for a few days, but so far so good. I don't seem to get any extremely noticable benefits straight away, but I am using it in a slightly different way. (hint: wimhof). Will try to give feedback later.

I'm looking forward to trying the ibudilast+galantamine soon, if I can get my hands on it. The extreme anti-inflammatory properties really seem like elixir of the gods. I have experimented in cycles with some different things, including the insulin, tulip, etc. and also some very anti-inflammatory compounds usually eaten, but injected in high amounts. Over a period of time I was doing too much to discern what was working so extremely well and if it was a combination/synergy (it was).

#3509 Norcient

• 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:43 AM

Hsve you tried higher doses of BPC-157 (both orally and also injected - ps. I would do that close to the intestine area subq). I think that partially cured my IBS - along with other modifications/modalities.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3510 Amorphous

• 220 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:26 AM

Alex Mullen, from mullenmemory.com, is the first and only American won the world memory champion. He is a good example of using method of loci and apply memory techniques to study academic materials (medical school). However, 20/10/20/10/20 is a must for the materials that General memory techniques can't be applied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By