Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3601 musicman4534

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

After looking around and reading a bit I don't think it's a problem, because if we're just dosing 10IU a couple times a day I don't think this would bring us into the realm of hyperinsulinemia anyway, so it would be overall beneficial to have a bit more insulin in the brain whether it's during a meal or not.

#3602 Amorphous

• 220 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

Very interesting stuff. Gonna give this a go once my bacteriostatic water arrives. Has anyone tried this intranasally yet?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23055539
[/size][/font][/color]

Did you start it yet? How are you going to do it intranasally?
Tell us about your trial once it starts.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3603 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hey, what's up guys? Sorry it's been a while. So one of my major goals over the next year is to build a powerful 830nm laser with 10Hz pulsing. The irradiance limit at the skin is 320mW/cm2 so I was thinking of going with around 300mW/cm2. I'm basically thinking about using the Tendlite as a pattern and creating my own device with the aforementioned specs. If any of you are engineers or know an engineer who could help me make this happen, let me know! I asked Zawy and he's too busy at the moment. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to build a prototype to get the ball rolling. 

In the meantime, here is a recent rodent study testing 10Hz pulsing at different wavelengths. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27367569

Lasers Surg Med. 2016 Sep;48(7):695-705. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22542. Epub 2016 Jul 1.

Therapeutic effects of 10-HzPulsed wave lasers in rat depression model: A comparison between near-infrared and red wavelengths.

Abstract
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: 

The application of transcranial low-level light/laser therapy (tLLLT) in the range of red to near-infrared (NIR) spectrum for psychological disorders is a new area that is attracting growing interest in recent years. The photomodulation effects of NIR and red coherent lights on the activity of cytochrome c oxidase in neuronal cells of brain have been recently introduced. This study, therefore, sought to compare the therapeutic effects of 10-Hz pulsed wave NIR (810 nm) laser with red (630 nm) laser using the same delivered energy density and Citalopram in rat chronic mild stress (CMS) model of depression and anxiety.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: 

CMS procedures (for 4 weeks) were used to induce stress. GaAlAs diode laser with red and NIR wavelengths on 10-Hz pulsed wave (50% duty cycle) were used to perform tLLLT treatment for three weeks. An energy density of about 1.2 J/cm-(2) per each session was delivered through a light spot with a diameter of 3-mm to the prefrontal cortex for both wavelengths. Citalopram (10 mg/kg, Intraperitoneal) was administered for twenty-one consecutive days to the drug group.

RESULTS: 

The findings of the present study showed an increase in swimming and decrease in immobility time, for both NIR laser and Citalopram groups compared to the stress group in forced swimming test. Anxiety-like behaviors showed insignificant decrease in all treatment groups in elevated plus maze test. The induction of stress significantly increased serum cortisol levels and treatments with both red laser and Citalopram decreased it. Hyperglycemia induced by CMS returned to normal levels in all treatment groups. The assessment of body weight also showed a significant increase in NIR laser group compared to the stress group by the end of the experiment.

CONCLUSIONS: 

This study showed that non-invasive tLLLT using 10-Hz pulsed NIR laser light was as effective as Citalopram and more effective than red laser in the treatment of depressive-like behaviors and may help improve tLLLT as an alternative non-pharmacological treatments of psychological disorders such as depression. Lasers Surg. Med. 48:695-705, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Edited by lostfalco, 15 October 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#3604 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

hi Lostfalco, new on here i've been a long time follower of this thread. Thanks for all the great info ,

I've managed to get some insulin in the uk ordered from india  ,it is Lilly brand Huminsulin R 100iu,   i wanted to check how the ingredients compare to Novolin R before i spray any up my nose, it contains 10% hydrochloric acid and  10% sodium hydroxide solution,  m-cresol 2.5% and glycerine  i was little concerned about the first 2? but i guess its just the same as humulin r

if you think all is good i will report back after trying it for a few days.  Thanks

Hey Basar, you're very welcome! I'm glad you've benefitted from some of my craziness. 

Yep, that insulin should be fine. Hope it works well for you!

#3605 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

LF,

I am considering buying an oxygen concentrator. Do you find that there are lasting effect after a cycle of oxygen therapy? Or do effects only manifest themselves after a short term of administration?

Hey StabMe, I wouldn't say that the effects are especially lasting. I have used it in the morning and (to my surprise) noticed increased energy throughout the day. However, the main effects of concentrated oxygen are very short term...ie. around 10 minutes. 

I get around this by keeping my concentrator running and taking deep breaths from it every few minutes. Based on the literature, the effects should be pretty much instant and should last in the range of minutes. It's not really something that you should expect to dose once and enjoy the benefits for hours. http://www.lostfalco...as-a-nootropic/

I'm trying to get some BPC-157 but Peptide Warehouse seemingly only accepts Bitcoin... wtf?

Hey Groundhog Day, have you tried blue sky? http://www.blueskype...pc-157-5mg.html

#3606 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

That laser stuff is beyond me, don't really understand how it's supposed to work and the risks involved. 

Hey farware, the LEDs are the heavy lifters in the TULIP stack. Here's a little info on how LLLT works to enhance mitochondrial function. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3288797/

https://dl.dropboxus...nzalez-lima.pdf

"The fundamental principle of transcranial LLLT is the delivery of photons to brain cells that are primarily absorbed by the mitochondrial respiratory enzyme cytochrome oxidase and up- regulate its enzymatic activity in vivo." R

"An encouraging common denominator of the effects of transcranial LLLT on brain cytochrome oxidase is that it is a safe intervention with null deleterious effect on the structure and function of the brain at the doses observed to induce beneficial effects ." R

Cytochrome-C-Oxidase.jpg

Edited by lostfalco, 15 October 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#3607 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

"I am considering buying an oxygen concentrator. Do you find that there are lasting effect after a cycle of oxygen therapy? Or do effects only manifest themselves after a short term of administration?"

I have an oxygen concentrator, for me there are no noticeable effects.

Also, Bitcoins aren't hard once you have an account with "Circle"

#3608 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

I have an oxygen concentrator, for me there are no noticeable effects.

Damn, that sucks mettmett. What dosing patterns have you tried?

#3609 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

I usually use it while I meditate 15-30 minutes.

#3610 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

I usually use it while I meditate 15-30 minutes.

Do you mean for 15 to 30 minutes straight? Concentrated oxygen becomes counter productive beyond a few minutes at a time. 

As I mentioned on my site, "I leave the concentrator running and usually take 2 to 3 minute sips of concentrated oxygen every 10 to 20 minutes while I’m working at home." http://www.lostfalco...as-a-nootropic/

"The dose-response for oxygen administration on performance appears to follow the Yerkes-Dodson inverted-U

shape in a similar fashion to glucose facilitation with shorter doses of 30 s to 3 min appearing to be most beneficial while continuous oxygen breathing for longer than 10 min leading to a decline in performance." https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/1439893608

"The infuence of oxygen administration appears to obey the inverted U-shaped function as first described by the Yerkes-Dodson law with respect to arousal (Yerkes and Dodson 1908). The most effective doses were 1 and 3 min for both immediate and delayed word recall, and 30 s for tests of attention. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9694523

Edited by lostfalco, 16 October 2016 - 01:37 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#3611 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

Even if using it for exercise? https://bengreenfiel...oxygen-therapy/

Edited by mettmett, 16 October 2016 - 12:00 AM.

#3612 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:36 AM

Even if using it for exercise? https://bengreenfiel...oxygen-therapy/

I've only focused on it for cognitive enhancement and 30s to 3 minutes(ish) is a consistent theme in the literature. I'm familiar with EWOT but I haven't really tested my concentrator for those purposes.  

#3613 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

hi Lostfalco, new on here i've been a long time follower of this thread. Thanks for all the great info ,

I've managed to get some insulin in the uk ordered from india  ,it is Lilly brand Huminsulin R 100iu,   i wanted to check how the ingredients compare to Novolin R before i spray any up my nose, it contains 10% hydrochloric acid and  10% sodium hydroxide solution,  m-cresol 2.5% and glycerine  i was little concerned about the first 2? but i guess its just the same as humulin r

if you think all is good i will report back after trying it for a few days.  Thanks

Hey Basar, you're very welcome! I'm glad you've benefitted from some of my craziness. 

Wikipedia quote: "... [Hydrochloric acid] have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines irreversibly".

Doesn't sound like a harmless to me. I might be wrong.

#3614 Hyperflux

• 122 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:40 AM

Is BPC-157 possibly carcinogenic in theory? Or is that just other peptides like TB500?

#3615 Amorphous

• 220 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

I've managed to get some insulin in the uk ordered from india ,it is Lilly brand Huminsulin R 100iu, i wanted to check how the ingredients compare to Novolin R before i spray any up my nose, it contains 10% hydrochloric acid and 10% sodium hydroxide solution, m-cresol 2.5% and glycerine i was little concerned about the first 2? but i guess its just the same as humulin r

if you think all is good i will report back after trying it for a few days. Thanks

Wikipedia quote: "... [Hydrochloric acid] have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines irreversibly".

Doesn't sound like a harmless to me. I might be wrong.

When hydrochloric acid comes in contact with sodium hydroxide in the same solution, it mostly likely turns to become sodium chloride and water. I don't see how they can stay separately in the same solution unless there are some kind of micro-environment (such as enzyme shell...etc) separating them. In this case, it is very unlikely.

#3616 Basar

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi Amorphous your right they mix to make only salt and water lucky. Its used to reconstitute insulin powder in to a solution and to create the right ph.   

i have taken i 20 iu a day for one and a half weeks so far the effect have been small. 

i have had slightly improved motivation 

food craving have decreased and i feel full sooner 

it has had no noticeable effect on my memory or general cognition which was my reason for taking

i will continue for a few more weeks and try 40 iu a day. 

i recommend using a clear glass spray bottle to keep the insulin in to check it hasnt gone bad . I had it in plastic bottle at first and i couldnt see that the insulin had had gone cloudy.  i think it was contaminated with the old content.

#3617 Basar

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

If anyone is interested i bought from here http://wagheshwarienterprises.net/

Cost is $8.50 per vile $25 delivery to EU.  they have all types of insulin (i bought huminsulin lilly brand 10ml,100iu)

you can email them to purchase. btw its legal to ship prescription drugs from outside the eu to the eu so no problem with custom. 

#3618 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

New LLLT summary article from Hamblin!

https://www.research...brain_disorders

BBA Clin. 2016 Oct 1;6:113-124. eCollection 2016.

Shining light on the head: Photobiomodulation for brain disorders.
Abstract

Photobiomodulation (PBM) describes the use of red or near-infrared light to stimulate, heal, regenerate, and protect tissue that has either been injured, is degenerating, or else is at risk of dying. One of the organ systems of the human body that is most necessary to life, and whose optimum functioning is most worried about by humankind in general, is the brain. The brain suffers from many different disorders that can be classified into three broad groupings: traumatic events (stroke, traumatic brain injury, and global ischemia), degenerative diseases (dementia, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's), and psychiatric disorders (depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder). There is some evidence that all these seemingly diverse conditions can be beneficially affected by applying light to the head. There is even the possibility that PBM could be used for cognitive enhancement in normal healthy people. In this transcranial PBM (tPBM) application, near-infrared (NIR) light is often applied to the forehead because of the better penetration (no hair, longer wavelength). Some workers have used lasers, but recently the introduction of inexpensive light emitting diode (LED) arrays has allowed the development of light emitting helmets or "brain caps". This review will cover the mechanisms of action of photobiomodulation to the brain, and summarize some of the key pre-clinical studies and clinical trials that have been undertaken for diverse brain disorders.

• like x 1

#3619 Amorphous

• 220 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:40 AM

Hi Amorphous your right they mix to make only salt and water lucky. Its used to reconstitute insulin powder in to a solution and to create the right ph.

i have taken i 20 iu a day for one and a half weeks so far the effect have been small.

i have had slightly improved motivation
food craving have decreased and i feel full sooner
it has had no noticeable effect on my memory or general cognition which was my reason for taking

i will continue for a few more weeks and try 40 iu a day.

i recommend using a clear glass spray bottle to keep the insulin in to check it hasnt gone bad . I had it in plastic bottle at first and i couldnt see that the insulin had had gone cloudy. i think it was contaminated with the old content.

Hi Basar, I think the short term effect of i-insulin is amazing in term of improving mood and general well being. When I combine it with ibudilast/galantamine, the sense of clarity is second to none, just like after an extremely effective meditation session. The effect on memory is subtle but you need an objective measure to determine its effect on you. A good memory needs to be trained; I don't think any substance or device can effortlessly give you a superior memory, even though they may definitely help to make it easier to get there.

Edited by Amorphous, 20 October 2016 - 05:47 AM.

#3620 Soalian

• 47 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Cost is $8.50 per vile $25 delivery to EU.  they have all types of insulin (i bought huminsulin lilly brand 10ml,100iu)

you can email them to purchase. btw its legal to ship prescription drugs from outside the eu to the eu so no problem with custom. 

What really put me off so far are the shipping rated for online pharmacies, I only want to pay $25for shipping when I'm certain the product will have an effect, and even then I have to place a large order of multiple vials at once. But I never tried IN before so I'm somewhat reluctant to pay for a full order before I use a sample to assess my response to it.

Edited by Soalian, 21 October 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#3621 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

What really put me off so far are the shipping rated for online pharmacies, I only want to pay $25for shipping when I'm certain the product will have an effect, and even then I have to place a large order of multiple vials at once. But I never tried IN before so I'm somewhat reluctant to pay for a full order before I use a sample to assess my response to it.

Are you located in Irvine? I'm pretty sure I've been to a Walmart in that area before. =)

#3622 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:25 PM

When hydrochloric acid comes in contact with sodium hydroxide in the same solution, it mostly likely turns to become sodium chloride and water. I don't see how they can stay separately in the same solution unless there are some kind of micro-environment (such as enzyme shell...etc) separating them. In this case, it is very unlikely.

Thanks, good to know!

#3623 Droplet33

• 34 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

I tried Ibudilast with just 1-2 Now artichoke pills a couple of months ago, without forskolin, and felt like having a laser as far focus goes. Can't say if it improved LTP thought, i only tried it  a few times this way.

It was great with forskolin (when i didn't had trouble with dosing galantamine, my scale isn't precise enough so i had to eyeball it), with similar dosing than abelard aks 10mg ibudilast with 4mg of forskolin (Tried with 10mg twice daily as well, but didn't notice a big difference).

But i'd like to extend a word of caution about ibudilast : It has anti inflammatory propriety for the body and inflammation is necessary to heal back some tear and wear if you have a active lifestyle (like weight lifting) or a daily job that is. If you do, keep a eye out about how you feel like when most the effects wear off.

Edited by Droplet33, 24 October 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#3624 Soalian

• 47 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Are you located in Irvine? I'm pretty sure I've been to a Walmart in that area before

Actually I should update my profile because I've been living in France for about a year now, and OTC Insulin is nearly impossible to come by here

#3625 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Are you located in Irvine? I'm pretty sure I've been to a Walmart in that area before

Actually I should update my profile because I've been living in France for about a year now, and OTC Insulin is nearly impossible to come by here

Got it. Yeah, it's not OTC in Europe as far as I know.

#3626 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:13 AM

Hola Falco Perdido and fans.

This looks relatively inexpensive. Obviously, a single laser would would be tiresome to use on the entire head - it is enough hard work with a LED array - but perhaps to use just around the left prefrontal cortex? Would the power output be a problem, based on the specs? (I saw the Vetrolaser provides 300 mW whereas this is listed as 250 mW). Any other thoughts? As I understand, theoretically, this ought to be more focal than the LEDs, but I don't know what difference to expect in effect based on the different wavelengths?

http://www.ebay.com/...CoAAOSwll1WxW73

Edit: This one from the same seller is 808 nm, 300 mW. For heat reasons, it has a 45 s on, 15 s off duty cycle. Interesting.
http://www.ebay.com/...sd=191293797854

Another question I was pondering - what kind of additional device would one need to make a LED array or laser pulse in synchrony with, for example, brainwave rhythms or the Schumann resonance?

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 25 October 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#3627 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hola Falco Perdido and fans.

This looks relatively inexpensive. Obviously, a single laser would would be tiresome to use on the entire head - it is enough hard work with a LED array - but perhaps to use just around the left prefrontal cortex? Would the power output be a problem, based on the specs? (I saw the Vetrolaser provides 300 mW whereas this is listed as 250 mW). Any other thoughts? As I understand, theoretically, this ought to be more focal than the LEDs, but I don't know what difference to expect in effect based on the different wavelengths?

http://www.ebay.com/...CoAAOSwll1WxW73

Edit: This one from the same seller is 808 nm, 300 mW. For heat reasons, it has a 45 s on, 15 s off duty cycle. Interesting.
http://www.ebay.com/...sd=191293797854

Another question I was pondering - what kind of additional device would one need to make a LED array or laser pulse in synchrony with, for example, brainwave rhythms or the Schumann resonance?

Hey God, I've purchased numerous lasers just like that off of ebay and tested them over the years. They work ok but the LEDs are way more convenient and I've had better results with them. The irradiance limit at the skin is 320mW/cm2 so keep that in mind with any laser that you purchase. 

#3628 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

Thank you - sounds like I should just keep using the LEDs I already have, then. The research seems to suggest different wavelengths have different effects - is this something you have subjectively noticed, or do you appear to get the exact same effect from the LEDs as the Vetrolaser?

#3629 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:07 AM

Thank you - sounds like I should just keep using the LEDs I already have, then. The research seems to suggest different wavelengths have different effects - is this something you have subjectively noticed, or do you appear to get the exact same effect from the LEDs as the Vetrolaser?

Vetro and LEDs fell pretty similar. The Tendlite feels different...subjectively speaking, of course. 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3630 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:14 AM

Vetro and LEDs fell pretty similar. The Tendlite feels different...subjectively speaking, of course. 

Lostfalco, are you still doing your whole head, or have you tried just doing the frontal lobe only, like some studies seem to have suggested?  Also are you still using pregnenolone?.....thanks!

• Ill informed x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By