Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3631 Nuke

• 125 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

For a while I have been busy with some neurofeedback, so I was not really focusing on chemical interventions.

I have been wondering about the hydrogen-water though. How about adding magnesium metal to capsules and drinking them? In the stomage it will react with the HCl, release H2 and it will give me my daily Mg. I take 200mg of Mg as about 1g of Epsom salts, to take that as metal should be easy. It will probably also release more H2 than you can get into the water in another way. 

Guess on the other hand burping onto a candle flame may be a bad idea then  :laugh:

#3632 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hey Lostfalco and anyone else here experimenting with LLLT. I just started doing this myself and have a few questions.

I'm using the 96 LED array from amazon. I started out with 15 seconds per spot on the front, top, sides, and back of my head. Didn't feel much so moved to 30 seconds. Didn't feel much again so moved to 45 seconds (took a day off after the 30 seconds trial). The 45 seconds was last night and I felt really tired today. I'm not sure how much of that was due to the laser and how much was due to oversleeping (when I oversleep my energy isn't that great).

I was thinking of taking another day off, then doing 45 seconds again. I can't say other than the fatigue I've noticed any beneficial results yet. Maybe some minor improvements but I'm not sure.

So should I just keep increasing until I get to 2 minutes per spot max? And then 2 days on 1 day off, or 1 on 1 off?

Thanks for any input!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3633 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

Stick with the lowest dose needed to make you tired EOD, or two on, one off, or alt. blocks of both. Eaxh dosage should only tire you once and then benefits should start to accrue. You can ramp up the dose every once in a while, but I generally don't until a while after I begin to feel something. Pqq and coq10 enhance the process significantly.

#3634 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

Ok thanks for your reply. I guess I'll stick with 30 or 45s per spot for now.

I thought generally benefits were seen the next day. How long does it usually take?

Also what's your personal experience with LLLT?

#3635 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

The intensity of effect varies significantly between individuals, but once they start to accrue, I at least see a positive effect on sleep architecture and decreases in negative effects that I have begun to associate with inflammation. Exactly how it effects one may vary by pathology and other intra-individual factors, but Gwern (gwern.Net) has made one interesting n equals 1 study of, iirc reaction time or some other easily observed factor.

#3636 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

Alright well I guess I'll keep going for another few weeks and see how things progress. Thanks for your help.

#3637 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Also, I think I found things to move more pronouncedly with two on, one off, but it should generally be treated as analogous to exercise. I have found decent result from application to the carotid artery as well. Unless there's something quite wrong (i.e., pathology of some sort), there should be a slow accrual of benefit as opposed to a massive acute one. The human studies are pretty uniformly positive tho.

Edited by macropsia, 01 December 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#3638 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

Ok cool thanks for the info. I'll stick with it for at least a month and then judge at that time. I've seen the studies as well as the testimonials here which is why I'm excited about it.

#3639 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

I reacted to it pretty quickly and at a pretty low 'dosage', but some might be better served by ramping up more quickly. Pretty dependant on the health of your mitochondria probably. All of the human studies (which mostly relate to distinct pathologies iirc) use a much higher dose than I have been, and at least one uses a pretty massive one just once or just once per week.

#3640 Soalian

• 47 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Wouldn't taking CoQ10/PQQ concurrently with LLLT counteract the ROS-generating effects of the Laser? Or should we take it at a different time of day?

Edited by Soalian, 03 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#3641 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Wouldn't taking CoQ10/PQQ concurrently with LLLT counteract the ROS-generating effects of the Laser? Or should we take it at a different time of day?

Different time of day. =)

• Informative x 1

#3642 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

Besides... coq10, and especially pqq, have effects aside from their ability to quench free radicals. Coq10 and compounds that act in their place must, in order to work, be able to both accept and donate electrons, acting as more of a shuttle in the process than a pure/proper antioxidant (though many, if not all, antioxidants can be oxidative in their effect depending on context/gradient). Dosing COQ10 with antioxidants, though, will aid in their mutual recycling and improve Coq10's ability to act as a shuttle.

#3643 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

Rhetorical Question of the Day: Have I mentioned that insulin behaves differently in the body than in the brain?  =)

I know, I know...only about a thousand times. 

Here's another example that is really fascinating. 

http://www.alzforum....s-rise-brain-av

"The multidimensional relationship between Aβ and insulin just gained another twist. According to a live monitoring study published in the Journal of Neuroscience on November 16, the peptide hormone may influence Aβ more from without than within—the brain, that is. Researchers led by David Holtzman at Washington University in St. Louis reported that a spike in blood insulin levels (akin to what occurs after a typical meal) elevated Aβ both in the brain and blood of mice that model AD. However, insulin delivered directly into the animals' brains had no effect on Aβ, despite activating insulin receptors there. These results held true in both young and older, plaque-ridden animals. The findings suggest that systemic insulin somehow influences brain Aβ production or clearance mechanisms and that intranasal insulin, which is being tested as a means to improve cognition, may not affect amyloidosis in the brain."

• Informative x 3

#3644 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

What is Aβ? Sorry not up to scratch on my Alzheimer's knowledge.Edit:

Edit: nvm just looked it up.

Edit 2: Lostfalco, are you still using pregnenolone? It's something I've been reading about and want to try, but am worried about long term consequences. I'm considering starting with 5 mg sublingual.

Edited by mkmossop, 06 December 2016 - 10:23 PM.

#3645 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

Edit 2: Lostfalco, are you still using pregnenolone? It's something I've been reading about and want to try, but am worried about long term consequences. I'm considering starting with 5 mg sublingual.

Yeah, still taking it. I've had no problems stopping and starting it over the years and I've taken doses as high as 500mg. 

Edited by lostfalco, 07 December 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#3646 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Unconscious learning is pretty damn cool. These subjects learned Morse code in 4 hours without even trying!

http://www.kurzweila...-without-trying

"Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have developed a “passive haptic learning” (PHL) system that teaches people Morse code within four hours, using a series of vibrations felt near the ear. Participants wearing Google Glass learned it without paying attention to the signals —they played games while feeling the taps and hearing the corresponding letters.

They were 94 percent accurate keying a sentence that included every letter of the alphabet and 98 percent accurate writing codes for every letter.

Georgia Tech researchers used this same method to teach people braillehow to play the piano and improved hand sensation for those with partial spinal cord injury."

• Informative x 1

#3647 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

As many of you know, after years of experimentation I've come to believe in a more multi-pronged approach for cognitive enhancement/maintenance (ie. Dr. Bredesen's protocol). This study gives yet another example why. 

Combo of substances rejuvenating rodent cognitive performance:

1. d-alpha tocopheryl acetate

2. citicholine

3. 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid

4. quercetin 

5. phosphatidylserine-docosahexaenoic acid

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27916687

Behav Brain Res. 2016 Dec 1. pii: S0166-4328(16)30632-5. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2016.11.019. [Epub ahead of print]

unique combination of micronutrients rejuvenates cognitive performance in aged mice.

Abstract

It is widely believed that diet can influence the onset and severity of cognitive aging, but the optimal combination of micronutrients and molecular and cellular mechanisms remain elusive. The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of eight distinct diets, consisting of various concentrations of selected micronutrients, on learning and memory as well as markers of neuronal plasticity, and metabolic and neuro-immune status of the aged hippocampus. Eighteen-month-old male and female C57BL/6J mice were fed the diets for 16 weeks, followed by learning and memory trials on the active avoidance task. Number of immature neurons were measured by immunohistochemical detection of doublecortin (DCX+) in the granule layer of the dentate gyrus. Amount of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and gene expression of molecular markers of mitochondrial biogenesis (Ppargc1α, Sirt1, Tfam), and neuroinflammation (IL-10, Alox15, Ptgs2, IL-1β, IL-6 and Tnf) were assessed by quantitative real time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) of hippocampal samples. Tissue levels of selected micronutrients and a number of metabolites were measured by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. The diet supplemented with RRR d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, citicholine, 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid, quercetin and the n-3 fatty acid phosphatidylserine-docosahexaenoic acid, improved performance on the active avoidance learning and memory task compared to all the other less-complex diets. This diet also increased IL-10 expression and attenuated the age-related change in mtDNA content in the hippocampus without affecting metabolite levels. Results suggest cognitive benefits of wholesome diets are partially mediated through combined antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of optimized mixtures of micronutrients.

Edited by lostfalco, 08 December 2016 - 08:17 PM.

• Agree x 1

#3648 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

I've always liked pregnenolone's effects, but, depending on the particular regulation/tone of your steroid pathways, it seems to 'pool' as estrogen or something similar, causing acne in susceptibile individuals. I've been able to delay this somewhat by use of estrogen blockers, but it isn't something I toy with too lightly. In the future I suspect further study of the applicable pathways may allow for the possibility of more directed approaches, and if sigma agonism is indeed the one at play there are probably better angles of approach. I suspect there may be some intersex differences in reaction to pregnenolone as well. DHEA might possibly be a better option for males (I say this very tentatively). Preg. is sort of the primary steroid precursor, so a series of equilibria and distribution mechanisms (of which I know next to nothing) will tend to transform it into other steroids that our optimal functioning may or may not really need more of.

#3649 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

If sigma agonism is what you're after, a legal unsubstituted tryptamine with (relatively) low serotonin activity might be a good, if rather more experimental, route to the same end.
If sigma agonism is what you're after, a legal unsubstituted tryptamine with (relatively) low serotonin activity might be a good, if rather more experimental, route to the same end.

#3650 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23593332

DHEA and S1

#3651 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

DPT, M(ono)PT and N-monomethyl-T might all be possible options here as well. Most of these probably wouldn't prove terribly active orally, and so some other means (nasal spray perhaps? DPT seems to do alright by this means as well as sublingually) may be more apt.

#3652 Valtsu

• 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hi LostFalco. I wrote a short comment on LLLT in an other thread of LongeCity forum. Another forum member mentioned that you've written about the same topic. I guess you might find some of these resources useful, if you aren't already familiar with these. :)

Hello! :-) Photobiomodulation (PBM) is quite a new name for this treatment. Before 2016, most people called it "LLLT", or low-level laser (light) therapy. I will call it PBM/LLLT.

I also wonder why there has been so little discussion about PBM/LLLT, even though there is a vast literature showing its' effectiveness.

I created a Facebook group for discussions about PBM/LLLT. Only 650 members so far, but it is growing: https://www.facebook...14712655404400/

I also have listed more than 1000 studies about PBM/LLLT in this spreadsheet, and it's gonna be 2000+ studies before the Summer 2017: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Here is also my old blog article about PBM/LLLT: http://valtsus.blogs...d-and-near.html

#3653 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Hi LostFalco. I wrote a short comment on LLLT in an other thread of LongeCity forum. Another forum member mentioned that you've written about the same topic. I guess you might find some of these resources useful, if you aren't already familiar with these. :)

Hello! :-) Photobiomodulation (PBM) is quite a new name for this treatment. Before 2016, most people called it "LLLT", or low-level laser (light) therapy. I will call it PBM/LLLT.

I also wonder why there has been so little discussion about PBM/LLLT, even though there is a vast literature showing its' effectiveness.

I created a Facebook group for discussions about PBM/LLLT. Only 650 members so far, but it is growing: https://www.facebook...14712655404400/

I also have listed more than 1000 studies about PBM/LLLT in this spreadsheet, and it's gonna be 2000+ studies before the Summer 2017: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Here is also my old blog article about PBM/LLLT: http://valtsus.blogs...d-and-near.html

Thanks for the heads up, Valtsu! Very cool that you are getting the word out on LLLT. A number of us have had pretty amazing results with it over the past three and a half years. 

Have you been testing it transcranially?

#3654 Valtsu

• 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

"Have you been testing it transcranially?"

Not actually. I'm feeling quite fine already, so I don't really use any supplements/biohacks. If I get any health issues, I will probably try photobiomodulation (LLLT) as the first treatment. :-)

#3655 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

"Have you been testing it transcranially?"

Not actually. I'm feeling quite fine already, so I don't really use any supplements/biohacks. If I get any health issues, I will probably try photobiomodulation (LLLT) as the first treatment. :-)

That's totally understandable. 

Really love that spreadsheet. Very comprehensive. I've actually been working on something almost identical for LLLT, intranasal insulin, hydrogen water, concentrated oxygen, etc. I'm only using human studies and I focus almost entirely on brain enhancement...but I love the idea. Thanks for sharing!

btw, If anyone on the Facebook group or anyone else you've been talking to needs some ideas for experimentation and/or dosing (from someone who has been testing transcranial LLLT for over 4 years) I've written about it at these locations.

http://www.lostfalco...therapy-dosing/

http://www.lostfalco...-laser-therapy/

http://www.lostfalco...in-enhancement/

A lot of people have questions about dosing so I've really tried to boil it down to the basics. Hope it helps some people. 

Edited by lostfalco, 18 December 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#3656 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Intranasal insulin, what a great thing! Major increase in mental stamina and clearheadedness.

Thank you, lostfalco!

Edited by lourdaud, 20 December 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#3657 Lsdium

• 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Intranasal insulin, what a great thing! Major increase in mental stamina and clearheadedness.

Thank you, lostfalco!

Where did you buy it, lourdaud :)?

#3658 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

Thank you, lostfalco!

You're very welcome, lourdaud! I'm with you, it's one of the best substances I've ever tried. 

#3659 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thank you, lostfalco!

Where did you buy it, lourdaud :)?

The most affordable place in the U.S. by far is Walmart. Novolin R is $24.88. 

I've written about its benefits, where to buy it, and how to make it legally at home here. http://www.lostfalco...anasal-insulin/

Do you live in the US, Lsdium?

Edited by lostfalco, 20 December 2016 - 05:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3660 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

Lostfalco, I thank you for all your effort. It is probably a tiny number who clutter your thread with thank you comments compared to the many more who are grateful. (Why clutter your thread.) I have a comment now, so dual purpose.

I am on about the 3'rd week of 2 days on 1 day off of trans cranial LED work of my whole head (brain area). Going well so far. I have not cut out my many nutrients, as that gets a little bit complicated to still get the doses of them which I want. I am not taking them within a few hours of the treatments. My current strategy might go slightly different from here than the minimum effective dose as judged by others experiences. I have had multiple severe to minor head injuries starting as a child, including complete loss of consciousness as an adult from, bicycle, skateboarding and motorcycle accidents, so this process might take higher treatment times similar to what it appears some of the T.B.I studies used if I read correctly. (Nice run on sentence  :)  ) I wonder if the strategy of higher treatment times causing more effect followed a few hours by my supplements might be effective. Higher activation of the brain, but for less time perhaps as the supplements might lower it.

I have Intranasal Insulin as my next addition, but only after several more weeks at a minimum. I look forward to you writing the ebook/blog post sharing all the research you have about the various therapies. (I noticed your plan when I read your page concerning another members T.B.I. questions. It was helpful.)

http://www.lostfalco...in-enhancement/

http://www.lostfalco...n-injury-etc/ 

Edited by Heisok, 20 December 2016 - 08:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By