Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3751 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Do you cycle off galantamine? I've read you build tolerance to it and should cycle.

The scientific literature I've read indicates that it doesn't build tolerance (in Alzheimer's patients who take it long term), is well tolerated long term, and doesn't require cycling. Of course, I'm always open to changing my mind when presented with new data. =) Do you have any studies that show tolerance developing or the need for cycling?

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21891871

"The present analysis evaluates the long-term effects of galantamine on cognitive function in AD in terms of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) scores for up to 7 years, using both clinical data and epidemiological modeling.

Results showed that patients with mild-to-moderate AD who received long-term galantamine treatment exhibited attenuated decline in cognitive function, as assessed by MMSE, compared with decline predicted in the absence of treatment."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15353385

"Results of this open-label extension support the findings from previous galantamine studies and demonstrate the safety and tolerability of galantamine for up to 18.5 months."

#3752 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

No, this was more anecdotal. Stories from people I've read on reddit saying they noticed loss of effect when taking it regularly. However most of what I read about galantamine was from people using it for lucid dreaming... there didn't seem to be many people taking it as a nootropic or saying it was effective in that regard. But I still wanna try and find out :).

I think most people take it at night for lucid dreaming, so maybe the other positive effects don't carry over into the day.

Edited by mkmossop, 04 March 2017 - 07:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3753 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

No, this was more anecdotal. Stories from people I've read on reddit saying they noticed loss of effect when taking it regularly. However most of what I read about galantamine was from people using it for lucid dreaming... there didn't seem to be many people taking it as a nootropic or saying it was effective in that regard. But I still wanna try and find out :).

I think most people take it at night for lucid dreaming, so maybe the other positive effects don't carry over into the day.

Got it. Yeah, for nootropic purposes I haven't noticed any tolerance build up but, as always, ymmv. =)

Hope it works well for you!

• Informative x 1

#3754 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Bredesen and his protocol are about to really blow up. Looks like he's modified the protocol (named ReCODE now) and will be testing it out on 100 Alzheimer's patients over the next year. Really cool stuff!

http://www.biospace....source=MoreNews

• Enjoying the show x 1

#3755 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

That is great news that they will be working with patients who are likely at a stage where they are noticing worse and worse brain/behavior problems in themselves with very little real hope being available. That has to be a horrible experience. Any improvement will be seen as a blessing. When I tried LLLT and felt the benefits of better long term memory recall, and short term memory I was very happy, and my issues were mild. I had 26 sessions total over about 6 weeks, and it has been 6 weeks since my last session. Some lessening over time level of benefits have persisted, but I will restart soon due to word, and name recall slowing.

"upcoming Alzheimer’s Immersion Program, the kickoff for an intensive one-year therapeutic program, which is limited to 100 qualifying pre-Alzheimer’s, early stage, and mid-stage Alzheimer’s participants, held in Indian Wells, California, on March 24 through 27, 2017"

Bredesen and his protocol are about to really blow up. Looks like he's modified the protocol (named ReCODE now) and will be testing it out on 100 Alzheimer's patients over the next year. Really cool stuff!

http://www.biospace....source=MoreNews

Edited by Heisok, 07 March 2017 - 02:04 AM.

#3756 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

For the record, I started taking 500 mg/d of mefenamic acid, divided into 2 half doses chewed thoroughly with food. I spent a decent chunk of change getting it mass-speced by a reputable lab, and I'm convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that it's pure enough to be safe. If it's not obvious, I'm doing this in response to the research of a year ago which showed that it had profoundly beneficial effects on NLRP3 inflammasome suppression in the brain. ("Mefenamic acid treatment prevented Aβ1–42 induced memory deficits as measured using the novel object recognition (NOR) test at day 14 (Fig. 4a, Supplementary Fig. 9). This protective effect was sustained up to day 35, 21 days after the mefenamic acid treatment had been terminated (Fig. 4b).") This isn't a casual undertaking, however, as it can cause cardiovascular and bleeding complications which are sometimes fatal. I've taken a number of precautions as a result, including K2 supplementation and strict avoidance of high intensity aerobic activity. Wish me luck...

Anyway this Bredesen annoucement is generally good news, certainly a lot better than waiting for another billion-dollar AD drug failure to get through the FDA. I admire his get-it-done attitude. However, I should emphasize again that his keto approach is probably damaging for people like me, who seem to have messed up zinc transport. Since getting off the keto diet, my sleep has improved substantially, resulting in the predictable downstream cognitive benefits. Not to mention I don't feel sick all day. Granted, I suspect that even in cases where copper-2 exposure is a significant contributor, most people with AD would in fact benefit from a keto diet because at least in the West, it's very likely that they suffer from catastrophic metabolic derangement. So therefore, while supplementing zinc gluconate would probably help to compete with copper, they would still probably do best cutting carbs to the bone. But if zinc transport is genetically dysfunctional, on top of environmental copper exposure, then keto probably isn't the answer; cutting glutamic acid and increasing zinc is.

For the record, I'm back on my favorite diet, more or less, which is supercentarian every-other-day intermittant fasting. I've cut protein to perhaps unsustainably low levels, and I could hardly feel better, despite my HcA1c being undoubtedly a bit higher. I'm not looking forward to increasing my methionine and glutamine intake, but at some point that will become necessary. I'm still on galantamine and INI (and LLLT every 2 or 3 days, for that matter), and just hoping that the effects endure after cessation.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 10 March 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#3757 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

For the record, I started taking 500 mg/d of mefenamic acid, divided into 2 half doses chewed thoroughly with food.

Anyway this Bredesen annoucement is generally good news, certainly a lot better than waiting for another billion-dollar AD drug failure to get through the FDA. I admire his get-it-done attitude. However, I should emphasize again that his keto approach is probably damaging for people like me, who seem to have messed up zinc transport.

For the record, I'm back on my favorite diet, more or less, which is supercentarian every-other-day intermittant fasting. I've cut protein to perhaps unsustainably low levels, and I could hardly feel better, despite my HcA1c being undoubtedly a bit higher. I'm not looking forward to increasing my methionine and glutamine intake, but at some point that will become necessary. I'm still on galantamine and INI (and LLLT every 2 or 3 days, for that matter), and just hoping that the effects endure after cessation.

Very cool, RG. Thanks for the update. I'm with you that keto is not a one-size-fits-all-solution. Your fasting regimen is a bit more strict than mine. In your experience, how does every other day intermittent fasting compare to 1 or 2 times per week 24-hour fasts (what I do)? 

#3758 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

A few recent LLLT studies for your reading pleasure. =)

J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017 Mar;168:149-155. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2017.02.008. Epub 2017 Feb 13.
Treating cognitive impairment with transcranial low level laser therapy.
Abstract

This report examines the potential of low level laser therapy (LLLT) to alter brain cell function and neurometabolic pathways using red or near infrared (NIR) wavelengths transcranially for the prevention and treatment of cognitive impairment. Although laser therapy on human tissue has been used for a number of medical conditions since the late 1960s, it is only recently that several clinical studies have shown its value in raising neurometabolic energy levels that can improve cerebral hemodynamics and cognitive abilities in humans. The rationale for this approach, as indicated in this report, is supported by growing evidence that neurodegenerative damage and cognitive impairment during advanced aging is accelerated or triggered by a neuronal energy crisis generated by brain hypoperfusion. We have previously proposed that chronic brain hypoperfusion in the elderly can worsen in the presence of one or more vascular risk factors, including hypertension, cardiac disease, atherosclerosis and diabetes type 2. Although many unanswered questions remain, boosting neurometabolic activity through non-invasive transcranial laser biostimulation of neuronal mitochondria may be a valuable tool in preventing or delaying age-related cognitive decline that can lead to dementia, including its two major subtypes, Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. The technology to achieve significant improvement of cognitive dysfunction using LLLT or variations of this technique is moving fast and may signal a new chapter in the treatment and prevention of neurocognitive disorders.

Photomed Laser Surg. 2017 Feb 9. doi: 10.1089/pho.2016.4238. [Epub ahead of print]
Effects of Near-Infrared Light on Cerebral Bioenergetics Measured with Phosphorus Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Cerebral photobiomodulation (PBM) improves mood and cognition. Cerebral metabolic enhancement is a mechanism proposed to underlie PBM effects. No PBM studies to date have applied phosphorus magnetic resonance spectroscopy (31P MRS), which can be used to assess metabolic intermediates such as phosphocreatine (PCr) and adenosine triphosphate, the latter of which is elevated by PBM. Accordingly, we used 9.4 Tesla 31P MRS to characterize effects of single and repeat cerebral PBM treatments on metabolism. PBM was delivered to healthy adult beagles in the form of transcranial laser treatment (TLT) at a wavelength of 808 nm, which passes safely through the skull and activates cytochrome C oxidase, a mitochondrial respiratory chain enzyme.

METHODS:

Isoflurane-anesthetized subjects (n = 4) underwent a baseline 31P MRS scan followed by TLT applied sequentially for 2 min each to anterior and posterior cranium midline locations, to irradiate the dorsal cortex. Subjects then underwent 31P MRS scans for 2 h to assess acute TLT effects. After 2 weeks of repeat TLT (3 times/week), subjects were scanned again with 31P MRS to characterize effects of repeat TLT.

RESULTS:

TLT did not induce acute 31P MRS changes over the course of 2 h in either scan session. However, after repeat TLT, the baseline PCr/β-nucleoside triphosphate ratio was higher than the scan 1 baseline (p < 0.0001), an effect attributable to increased PCr level (p < 0.0001).

CONCLUSIONS:

Our findings are consistent with reports that bioenergetic effects of PBM can take several hours to evolve. Thus, in vivo 31P MRS may be useful for characterizing bioenergetic effects of PBM in brain and other tissues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28164443

J Biophotonics. 2017 Feb 6. doi: 10.1002/jbio.201600244. [Epub ahead of print]
Low-level light emitting diode (LED) therapy suppresses inflammasome-mediated brain damage in experimental ischemic stroke.
Lee HI1Lee SW2,3Kim NG4Park KJ4Choi BT2,3,5Shin YI1,6Shin HK2,3,5.
Abstract

Use of photostimulation including low-level light emitting diode (LED) therapy has broadened greatly in recent years because it is compact, portable, and easy to use. Here, the effects of photostimulation by LED (610 nm) therapy on ischemic brain damage was investigated in mice in which treatment started after a stroke in a clinically relevant setting. The mice underwent LED therapy (20 min) twice a day for 3 days, commencing at 4 hours post-ischemia. LED therapy group generated a significantly smaller infarct size and improvements in neurological function based on neurologic test score. LED therapy profoundly reduced neuroinflammatory responses including neutrophil infiltration and microglia activation in the ischemic cortex. LED therapy also decreased cell death and attenuated the NLRP3 inflammasome, in accordance with down-regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1β and IL-18 in the ischemic brain. Moreover, the mice with post-ischemic LED therapy showed suppressed TLR-2 levels, MAPK signaling and NF-kB activation. These findings suggest that by suppressing the inflammasome, LED therapy can attenuate neuroinflammatory responses and tissue damage following ischemic stroke. Therapeutic interventions targeting the inflammasome via photostimulation with LED may be a novel approach to ameliorate brain injury following ischemic stroke. Effect of post-ischemic low-level light emitting diode therapy (LED-T) on infarct reduction was mediated by inflammasome suppression.

• like x 1

#3759 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

LSD is a 5-HT2A agonist. 

5-HT agonsim increases mitochondrial biogenesis.

Interesting! Didn't see that one coming.

1P-LSD is available on the clearnet.

https://lysergi.com/...php/1p-lsd.html

http://theindoleshop...product/1p-lsd/

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19875674

J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Feb;332(2):632-9. doi: 10.1124/jpet.109.159947. Epub 2009 Oct 29.

5-hydroxytryptamine receptor stimulation of mitochondrial biogenesis.

Abstract

Mitochondrial dysfunction is both a cause and target of reactive oxygen species during ischemia-reperfusion, drug, and toxicant injury. After injury, renal proximal tubular cells (RPTC) recover mitochondrial function by increasing the expression of the master regulator of mitochondrial biogenesis, peroxisome-proliferator-activated-receptor-gamma-coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha). The goal of this study was to determine whether 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) receptor agonists increase mitochondrial biogenesis and accelerate the recovery of mitochondrial function. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction analysis confirmed the presence of 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, and 5-HT2C receptor mRNA in RPTC. The 5-HT2 receptor agonist 1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)-2-aminopropane hydrochloride (DOI; 3-10 microM) increased PGC-1alpha levels, expression of mitochondrial proteins ATP synthase beta and NADH dehydrogenase (ubiquinone) 1beta subcomplex 8 (NDUFB8), MitoTracker Red staining intensity, cellular respiration, and ATP levels through a 5-HT receptor and PGC-1alpha-dependent pathway. Similar effects were observed with the 5-HT2 agonist m-chlorophenylpiperazine and were blocked by the 5-HT2 antagonist 8-[3-(4-fluorophenoxy) propyl]-1-phenyl-1,3,8-triazaspiro[4,5]decan-4-one (AMI-193). In addition, DOI accelerated the recovery of mitochondrial function after oxidant-induced injury in RPTC. This is the first report to demonstrate 5-HT receptor-mediated mitochondrial biogenesis, and we suggest that 5-HT-agonists may be effective in the treatment of mitochondrial and cell injury.

Edited by lostfalco, 16 March 2017 - 02:33 PM.

• like x 3

#3760 mccm98

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

LSD is a 5-HT2A agonist. 

5-HT agonsim increases mitochondrial biogenesis.

Interesting! Didn't see that one coming.

1P-LSD is available on the clearnet.

https://lysergi.com/...php/1p-lsd.html

http://theindoleshop...product/1p-lsd/

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19875674

Can vouch for both Lysergi and 1P-LSD. Microdosed 10ug twice a week for 4 weeks. Many claim effects are placebo but I greatly enjoyed those four weeks.

Also took a whole tab of 1P w/ friends for fun. Great experience and I felt my thoughts were more structured and I felt mentally refreshed after. Seemed to notice this effect lessen over the next month but this could be due to stress. Will start microdosing in a few weeks but this study does seem to show possible pros of microdosing.

#3761 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Speaking of mitochondrial biogenesis, although I may have linked this study before. its worth mentioning sodium selenite again:

http://journals.plos...pone.0047910#s4

#3762 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

Speaking of mitochondrial biogenesis, although I may have linked this study before. its worth mentioning sodium selenite again:

http://journals.plos...pone.0047910#s4

Great study, magta! Selenium is definitely great stuff at the right dose. 

#3763 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Can vouch for both Lysergi and 1P-LSD. Microdosed 10ug twice a week for 4 weeks. Many claim effects are placebo but I greatly enjoyed those four weeks.

Also took a whole tab of 1P w/ friends for fun. Great experience and I felt my thoughts were more structured and I felt mentally refreshed after. Seemed to notice this effect lessen over the next month but this could be due to stress. Will start microdosing in a few weeks but this study does seem to show possible pros of microdosing.

Thanks, mccm98! I've tried four 12.5ug microdoses with 1P-LSD from The Indole Shop. I've certainly noticed subjective effects but I'm not quite sure if I'd call them nootropic so far. Much more experimenting to do!

Keep us updated on your upcoming experiment!

#3764 mccm98

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

Thanks, mccm98! I've tried four 12.5ug microdoses with 1P-LSD from The Indole Shop. I've certainly noticed subjective effects but I'm not quite sure if I'd call them nootropic so far. Much more experimenting to do!

Keep us updated on your upcoming experiment!

I definitely agree with you that its hard to call them nootropic but I do feel like they were there. Just a general overall mood improvement, mental clarity and it seemed easier to get into that coveted flow state during deep work. One effect that other users have reported is that it also has the ability to amplify bad moods as well. I can't speak to this because I am not depressed or prone to bad days/moods but I could see that being possible.

Also, you mentioned that you did 12.5 ug microdoses and I might try stepping it up to 12.5ug as well. I took 15ug once and that was a wonderful day. I assume you dosed volumetrically?

#3765 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

It's been quite a while since I've talked about intranasal erythropoietin. Looks like there's a new Neuro-EPO formulation. Pretty damn cool. 

J Alzheimers Dis. 2017;55(1):231-248.

An Intranasal Formulation of Erythropoietin (Neuro-EPO) Prevents Memory Deficits and Amyloid Toxicity in the APPSwe Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease.

Abstract

Erythropoietin (EPO) is a cytokine known to have effective cytoprotective action in the brain, particularly in ischemic, traumatic, inflammatory, and neurodegenerative conditions. We previously reported the neuroprotective effect of a low sialic form of EPO, Neuro-EPO, applied intranasally in rodent models of stroke or cerebellar ataxia and in a non-transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease (AD). Here we analyzed the protective effect of Neuro-EPO in APPSwe mice, a reference transgenic mouse model of AD. Mice were administered 3 times a day, 3 days in the week with Neuro-EPO (125, 250 μg/kg) intranasally, between 12 and 14 months of age. Motor responses, general activity, and memory responses were analyzed during and after treatment. The deficits in spontaneous alternation, place learning in the water-maze, and novel object recognition observed in APPSwe mice were alleviated by the low dose of Neuro-EPO. Oxidative stress, neuroinflammation, trophic factor levels, and a synaptic marker were analyzed in the hippocampus or cortex of the animals. The increases in lipid peroxidation or in GFAP and Iba-1 contents in APPSwe mice were significantly reduced after Neuro-EPO. Activation of intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathways was analyzed. The increases in Bax/Bcl-2 ratio, TNFα, or Fas ligand levels observed in APPSwe mice were reduced by Neuro-EPO. Finally, immunohistochemical and ELISA analyses of Aβ1-42 levels in the APPSwe mouse cortex and hippocampus showed a marked reduction in Aβ deposits and in soluble and insoluble Aβ1-42 forms. This study therefore confirmed the neuroprotective activity of EPO, particularly for an intranasally deliverable formulation, devoid of erythropoietic side effects, in a transgenic mouse model of AD. Neuro-EPO alleviated memory alterations, oxidative stress, neuroinflammation, apoptosis induction, and amyloid load in 14-month-old APPSwe mice.

Edited by lostfalco, 17 March 2017 - 04:09 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

#3766 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

I've been testing intranasal IGF-2 on and off for the past few weeks and it's very intriguing. As far as I know, I'm the first human to try this (though I'm sure someone else has done it before) and there are no human studies so it's a total shot in the dark in terms of human dosing and effects.

I haven't measured anything (since it's just an initial test run) but subjectively I seem to be remembering quite a bit (IGF2 significantly increases learning and memory in rodent models) and my dreams have been crazy detailed. This makes sense since IGF-2 increases acetylcholine activity in models. 

I also started testing it because there are hints that IGF2 might mediate some of the effects of the (somewhat controversial) efficient sleeper gene (DEC2) which allows some humans to only require 4 to 6 hours of sleep per night in order to function optimally. See study on DEC2 below. 

Here's a popular article discussing the efficient sleeper gene: http://www.theblaze....ith-less-sleep/

Anyway, any effects are VERY speculative based on a paucity of human data. Here are some studies if anyone wants to check them out. =)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19679812

Science. 2009 Aug 14;325(5942):866-70. doi: 10.1126/science.1174443.

The transcriptional repressor DEC2 regulates sleep length in mammals.

Abstract

Sleep deprivation can impair human health and performance. Habitual total sleep time and homeostatic sleep response to sleep deprivation are quantitative traits in humans. Genetic loci for these traits have been identified in model organisms, but none of these potential animal models have a corresponding human genotype and phenotype. We have identified a mutation in a transcriptional repressor (hDEC2-P385R) that is associated with a human short sleep phenotype. Activity profiles and sleep recordings of transgenic mice carrying this mutation showed increased vigilance time and less sleep time than control mice in a zeitgeber time- and sleep deprivation-dependent manner. These mice represent a model of human sleep homeostasis that provides an opportunity to probe the effect of sleep on human physical and mental health.

http://www.sciencedi...197458016300331

Insulin-like growth factor 2 rescues aging-related memory loss in rats
Adam B. Steinmetz1, Sarah A. Johnson1, Dylan E. Iannitelli, Gabriella Pollonini, Cristina M. Alberini, 

Abstract
Aging is accompanied by declines in memory performance, and particularly affects memories that rely on hippocampal-cortical systems, such as episodic and explicit. With aged populations significantly increasing, the need for preventing or rescuing memory deficits is pressing. However, effective treatments are lacking. Here, we show that the level of the mature form of insulin-like growth factor 2 (IGF-2), a peptide regulated in the hippocampus by learning, required for memory consolidation and a promoter of memory enhancement in young adult rodents, is significantly reduced in hippocampal synapses of aged rats. By contrast, the hippocampal level of the immature form proIGF-2 is increased, suggesting an aging-related deficit in IGF-2 processing. In agreement, aged compared to young adult rats are deficient in the activity of proprotein convertase 2, an enzyme that likely mediates IGF-2 posttranslational processing. Hippocampal administration of the recombinant, mature form of IGF-2 rescues hippocampal-dependent memory deficits and working memory impairment in aged rats. Thus, IGF-2 may represent a novel therapeutic avenue for preventing or reversing aging-related cognitive impairments.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25100745

EMBO Mol Med. 2014 Oct;6(10):1246-62. doi: 10.15252/emmm.201404228.
Insulin-like growth factor 2 reverses memory and synaptic deficits in APP transgenic mice.
Abstract

Insulin-like growth factor 2 (IGF2) was recently found to play a critical role in memory consolidation in rats and mice, and hippocampal or systemic administration of recombinant IGF2 enhances memory. Here, using a gene therapy-based approach with adeno-associated virus (AAV), we show that IGF2 overexpression in the hippocampus of aged wild-type mice enhances memory and promotes dendritic spine formation. Furthermore, we report that IGF2 expression decreases in the hippocampus of patients with Alzheimer's disease, and this leads us to hypothesize that increased IGF2 levels may be beneficial for treating the disease. Thus, we used the AAV system to deliver IGF2 or IGF1 into the hippocampus of the APP mouse model Tg2576 and demonstrate that IGF2 and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) rescue behavioural deficits, promote dendritic spine formation and restore normal hippocampal excitatory synaptic transmission. The brains of Tg2576 mice that overexpress IGF2 but not IGF1 also show a significant reduction in amyloid levels. This reduction probably occurs through an interaction with the IGF2 receptor (IGF2R). Hence, IGF2 and, to a lesser extent, IGF1 may be effective treatments for Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26168901

Brain Res. 2015 Oct 5;1622:466-73. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2015.07.002. Epub 2015 Jul 10.

Exogenous insulin-like growth factor 2 administration enhances memory consolidation and persistence in a time-dependent manner.

Lee Y1Lee YW1Gao Q1Lee Y1Lee HE1Ryu JH2.
Abstract

Memory consolidation is an important process for the formation of long-term memory. We have previously reported that mature brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances memory consolidation within 9h after initial learning. Recent studies suggest that insulin-like growth factor 2 (IGF2) significantly enhances memory consolidation and prevents forgetting. Thus, we hypothesized that IGF2 exerts its activity on cognitive performance in a time-dependent manner as observed in our previous study. In the one-trial step-through inhibitory avoidance task, we demonstrate that a bilateral injection of IGF2 into the dorsal hippocampus 6 or 9 h after training significantly enhanced the step-through latencies compared with the vehicle-treated controls in the retention trial, which was conducted 24 h after the acquisition trial. However, 12h post-training, IGF2 injection did not increase the step-through latencies. Intriguingly, in the retention trial at 21 days after the training, hippocampal IGF2 injection 6, 9 or 12 h after the acquisition trial significantly increased the step-through latencies compared with the vehicle-treated controls. IGF2 administration at 9 h and 12 h after the acquisition trial significantly increased discrimination index and exploration time on the novel-located object in the test trial at 24 h and 21 days, respectively, after the acquisition trial in the novel location recognition task. In addition, IGF2-induced an increase in the step-through latencies in the retention trial 24 h or 21 days, respectively, after the initial learning was completely abolished by co-injected anti-IGF2 receptor antibody. These results suggest that IGF2 enhances memory consolidation within 9h after initial learning, and increased IGF2 within the 12 h after the acquisition trial, which represents a delayed consolidation phase, is also critical for memory persistence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26100875

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Jul 7;112(27):E3582-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1423989112. Epub 2015 Jun 22.

Enhanced memory consolidation in mice lacking the circadian modulators Sharp1 and -2 caused by elevated Igf2 signaling in the cortex.

Abstract

The bHLH transcription factors SHARP1 and SHARP2 are partially redundant modulators of the circadian system. SHARP1/DEC2 has been shown to control sleep length in humans and sleep architecture is also altered in double mutant mice (S1/2(-/-)). Because of the importance of sleep for memory consolidation, we investigated the role of SHARP1 and SHARP2 in cognitive processing. S1/2(-/-) mice show enhanced cortex (Cx)-dependent remote fear memory formation as well as improved reversal learning, but do not display alterations in hippocampus (Hi)-dependent recent fear memory formation. SHARP1 and SHARP2 single null mutants do not display any cognitive phenotype supporting functional redundancy of both factors. Molecular and biochemical analyses revealed elevated insulin-related growth factor 2 (IGF2) signaling and increased phosphorylation of MAPK and S6 in the Cx but not the Hi of S1/2(-/-) mice. No changes were detected in single mutants. Moreover, adeno-associated virus type 2-mediated IGF2 overexpression in the anterior cingulate cortex enhanced remote fear memory formation and the analysis of forebrain-specific double null mutants of the Insulin and IGF1 receptors revealed their essential function for memory formation. Impaired fear memory formation in aged S1/2(-/-) mice indicates that elevated IGF2 signaling in the long term, however, has a negative impact on cognitive processing. In summary, we conclude that the bHLH transcription factors SHARP1 and SHARP2 are involved in cognitive processing by controlling Igf2 expression and associated signaling cascades. Our analyses provide evidence that the control of sleep and memory consolidation may share common molecular mechanisms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24778346

Rev Neurosci. 2014;25(4):559-74. doi: 10.1515/revneuro-2014-0010.

Emerging evidence of insulin-like growth factor 2 as a memory enhancer: a unique animal model of cognitive dysfunction with impaired adult neurogenesis.

Abstract

In the current aging society, cognitive dysfunction is one of the most serious issues that should be urgently resolved. It also affects a wide range of age groups harboring neurological and psychiatric disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia. Although the molecular mechanism of memory impairment still remains to be determined, neuronal loss and dysfunction has been revealed to mainly attribute to its pathology. The discovery of neural stem cells in the adult brain that are proliferating and able to generate functional neurons has given rise to the idea that neuronal loss could be rescued by manipulating endogenous neural progenitor and stem cells. To this end, we must characterize them in detail and their developmental programming must be better understood. A growing body of evidence has indicated that insulin-like peptides are involved in learning and memory and maintenance of neural progenitor and stem cells, and clinical trials of insulin as a memory enhancer have begun. In contrast to the expectation of insulin and IGF1, the roles of IGF2 in cognitive ability have been poorly understood. However, recent evidence demonstrated in rodents suggests that IGF2 may play a pivotal role in adult neurogenesis and cognitive function. Here, we would like to review the rapidly growing world of IGF2 in cognitive neuroscience and introduce the evidence that its deficit is indeed involved in the impairment of the hippocampal neurogenesis and cognitive dysfunction in the model mouse of 22q11.2 deletion syndrome, which deletes Dgcr8, a critical gene for microRNA processing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24732467

PLoS One. 2014 Apr 14;9(4):e94287. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0094287. eCollection 2014.

IGF2 ameliorates amyloidosis, increases cholinergic marker expression and raises BMP9 and neurotrophin levels in the hippocampus of the APPswePS1dE9 Alzheimer's disease model mice.

Abstract

The development of an effective therapy for Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a major challenge to biomedical sciences. Because much of early AD pathophysiology includes hippocampal abnormalities, a viable treatment strategy might be to use trophic factors that support hippocampal integrity and function. IGF2 is an attractive candidate as it acts in the hippocampus to enhance memory consolidation, stimulate adult neurogenesis and upregulate cholinergic marker expression and acetylcholine (ACh) release. We performed a seven-day intracerebroventricular infusion of IGF2 in transgenic APPswe.PS1dE9 AD model mice that express green fluorescent protein in cholinergic neurons (APP.PS1/CHGFP) and in wild type WT/CHGFP littermates at 6 months of age representing early AD-like disease. IGF2 reduced the number of hippocampal Aβ40- and Aβ42-positive amyloid plaques in APP.PS1/CHGFP mice. Moreover, IGF2 increased hippocampal protein levels of the ACh-synthesizing enzyme, choline acetyltransferase in both WT/CHGFP and APP.PS1/CHGFP mice. The latter effect was likely mediated by increased protein expression of the cholinergic differentiating factor, BMP9, observed in IGF2-treated mice as compared to controls. IGF2 also increased the protein levels of hippocampal NGF, BDNF, NT3 and IGF1 and of doublecortin, a marker of neurogenesis. These data show that IGF2 administration is effective in reversing and preventing several pathophysiologic processes associated with AD and suggest that IGF2 may constitute a therapeutic target for AD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22514330

J Neurosci. 2012 Apr 18;32(16):5688-703. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0111-12.2012.
IκB kinase/nuclear factor κB-dependent insulin-like growth factor 2 (Igf2) expression regulates synapse formation and spine maturation via Igf2 receptor signaling.
Abstract

Alterations of learning and memory in mice with deregulated neuron-specific nuclear factor κB (NF-κB) activity support the idea that plastic changes of synaptic contacts may depend at least in part on IκB kinase (IKK)/NF-κB-related synapse-to-nucleus signaling. There is, however, little information on the molecular requirements and mechanisms regulating this IKK/NF-κB-dependent synapse development and remodeling. Here, we report that the NF-κB inducing IKK kinase complex is localized at the postsynaptic density (PSD) and activated under basal conditions in the adult mouse brain. Using different models of conditional genetic inactivation of IKK2 function in mouse principal neurons, we show that IKK/NF-κB signaling is critically involved in synapse formation and spine maturation in the adult brain. IKK/NF-κB blockade in the forebrain of mutant animals is associated with reduced levels of mature spines and postsynaptic proteins PSD95, SAP97, GluA1, AMPAR-mediated basal synaptic transmission and a spatial learning impairment. Synaptic deficits can be restored in adult animals within 1 week by IKK/NF-κB reactivation, indicating a highly dynamic IKK/NF-κB-dependent regulation process. We further identified the insulin-like growth factor 2 gene (Igf2) as a novel IKK/NF-κB target. Exogenous Igf2 was able to restore synapse density and promoted spine maturation in IKK/NF-κB signaling-deficient neurons within 24 h. This process depends on Igf2/Igf2R-mediated MEK/ERK activation. Our findings illustrate a fundamental role of IKK/NF-κB-Igf2-Igf2R signaling in synapse formation and maturation in adult mice, thus providing an intriguing link between the molecular actions of IKK/NF-κB in neurons and the memory enhancement factor Igf2.

Edited by lostfalco, 18 March 2017 - 03:06 AM.

• like x 4
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#3767 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

You're crazy man... and I mean that in the most positive way lol :).

How can you even gauge benefits from all this stuff? You already seem super cognitively boosted that it would seem hard to go any higher.

Also, has any tested LLLT on the forehead alone vs all over the head? I have very thick dark hard and I'm not sure how much light is getting through anywhere other than my forehead. Maybe I would do better to double or triple the time on my forehead and skip all other areas.

#3768 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

Very cool, RG. Thanks for the update. I'm with you that keto is not a one-size-fits-all-solution. Your fasting regimen is a bit more strict than mine. In your experience, how does every other day intermittent fasting compare to 1 or 2 times per week 24-hour fasts (what I do)? 

The answer is complicated, but I'll do my best.

Look, I know this sounds counterintuitive, but every-other-day intermittant fasting (EODIF) is by far the easiest and most satisfying diet. I would go so far as to say that if I only had a month left to live, I would still do it. It's not just a matter of feeling and actually functioning better. It comes down to satisfaction. I mean, right now I'm about 24 hours into a fast, and I'm looking forward to mealtime in the next 12 hours or so. (The optimal eating window per 48 hours is debatable. I tried 4 hours, which was too hardcore, but 24 hours is too much. I'm currently thinking 12 or so.) I actually enjoy daydreaming about stuff I could eat. I did used to binge a lot on my eating day, but I've gotten more disciplined lately, so I sort of plan what to eat, based on what is (1) scientifically proven to support my health and to some extent (2) scientifically proven to be delicious.

I do not endorse "occasional fasting" diets like 5/2 or water cleansing. In theory, they're better because for example one can do a week-long fast every couple months or so. But in practice, they hammer the crap out of homeostasis, rather like a person who tries running 14 miles in one day per week, instead of 2 miles per day. It's a recipe for failure.

I would be remiss not to mention that I've never read a single supercentenarian anecdote that involved EODIF. And at least one rodent study suggested that its benefits were slightly inferior to caloric restriction with frequent meals. However, I've read several such anecdotes that discuss intake limitations, such as replacing dinner with an orange or a bowl of tomato soup.

Therefore, my advice to anyone wanting to attempt EODIF would be to first become a "big breakfast" person who loads up on fat and some carbs (but definitely not too much protein) in the morning, then eats progressively less throughout the day. Once you can do that, all you need is a really busy week to distract yourself from the hunger while you settle into EODIF. Most of all, remember that hunger comes in waves. Just because your pet goldfish starts to look like dinner at hour 12 doesn't mean you'll feel that way at hour 14. I think this is why so many people seem to think it's too hard. They never get over the hump. When I'm hungry, I usually just try to work, and I notice that I'm especially productive in that state. It helps to distract me. But just the same, it's honestly not torture because I know how happy I'll be when I'm able to eat again. Last but not least, one becomes hungry enough to actually crave healthy foods instead of processed garbage. (Bell pepper donations happily accepted!)

Success on any diet means one thing: sustainability. Short term benefits are irrelevant and can actually be harmful, in the sense that they reinforce a behavior which might not be sustainable, resulting in little more than physiological stress.

Now, the father of human CR, Dr. Roy Walford, recommended strictly against leaping into restriction. He recommended a 6-month gradual reduction, based on the fact that he apparently observed more premature deaths  among rodents when CR was suddenly imposed. Certainly I have found this to be true on the opposite end: coming out fast is dangerous, and I once ended up in the hospital for doing so. However, I think 6 months is unnecessarily long and allows one to lose focus too easily. Personally, I find no issues with "crashing" into EODIF, provided that I have robust micronutrient support and am vigilant about electrolytes and hydration. On the way out, I would recommend adding one additional eating day per week over the course of a month. For me, that would be more than enough, and I don't think I'm unique in this regard. Above all, before exiting the diet, practitioners need to understand how to avoid rapid refeeding syndrome, which for example tragically hastened the deaths of many Jews who were rescued from concentration camps and immediately fed at high caloric levels.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#3769 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

"IGF2 might mediate some of the effects of the (somewhat controversial) efficient sleeper gene (DEC2) which allows some humans to only require 4 to 6 hours of sleep per night in order to function optimally. "

Sign me up.

#3770 mccm98

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Lostfalco,

Is there a more recent update for your current recommendations?

I see different lists both here and on your website and would be curious to see recent stacks as well as an updated recommendations list.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 2

#3771 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:02 AM

One thing I always worry about is the co effects of things like antioxidants and LLLT - I always try to basically do LLLT, with a large amount of time between meals and don't take strong antioxidants that day... But I'm not sure if I am being too cautious with this - I was wondering Falco, if you had any thoughts on time periods between meals or say a coffee and LLLT for maximum efficiency.

#3772 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

Interesting study that I just came across:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28323986

"CONTEXT:Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and elevated circulating branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are common characteristics of obesity and type 2 diabetes...

RESULTS:

Chronic IN insulin treatment did not alter body weight, body mass index and hepatic lipid content, but reduced circulating BCAA levels.

CONCLUSIONS:

These findings support the notion that brain insulin controls BCAA metabolism in humans. Thus, brain insulin resistance could account at least in part for the elevated BCAA levels observed in the insulin resistant state."

So IN insulin could possibly improve metabolism of BCAA's?

• like x 1

#3773 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

"IGF2 might mediate some of the effects of the (somewhat controversial) efficient sleeper gene (DEC2) which allows some humans to only require 4 to 6 hours of sleep per night in order to function optimally. "

Sign me up.

or just try orexin a, more studied and safer alternative that helps people with no sleep at all function as they had 8 hours of sleep.

IGF2 has been mentioned more than once to cause cancer, not sure of its safety profile at all since there is none

• Informative x 1

#3774 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

Hi Lostfalco,

I was going through ICES/PEMF information, and I thought you might be interested in a recent comment to the video by Dr. Dennis . They have a new B5 model out, which is discussed by Dr. Dennis in another of his Youtube videos .

"We have just posted some preliminary data from our ICES - BrainGauge - TBI / concussion pilot clinical study. You can read the article here: https://downloads.co...ine_issue_1.pdf This will eventually be published as a peer-reviewed scientific paper, but that process can take a year or longer, and between now and then there will be many groups that would rather these findings not see the light of day, so we think the safest place for it right now is in the public domain. Please read and share."

Currently watching. 

Edited by Heisok, 20 April 2017 - 03:02 AM.

#3775 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

What's your opinion on the vielight neuro? I started using it and my vision (blurry/floaters/focus) and cognition has become worse, even multiple days after my single initial use.

• Disagree x 1

#3776 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thanks again for intranasal insulin, LostFalco. This supplement is absolutely fantastic and probably one of the best nootropics and energy enhancers I've tried.

I want to know what you think of hydrogen water? Did you try it?

#3777 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks again for intranasal insulin, LostFalco. This supplement is absolutely fantastic and probably one of the best nootropics and energy enhancers I've tried.

I want to know what you think of hydrogen water? Did you try it?

I'm trying H water, at the mo. It seems like a great antioxidant for the noggin.

I first tried some tablets. They acted like a laxative. Now I'm using high-quality sticks. They work *much* better. I've decided to go with the sticks over a machine to allow for portability. I've not come across anything to indicate the sticks are unhealthy.

#3778 Yon Mok

• 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Where do you get those high-quality sticks?

#3779 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Where do you get those high-quality sticks?

Amazon,

https://www.amazon.c...hydrogen sticks

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3780 mkmossop

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Anyone here heard of trepanation? It involves drilling a hole in your skull in order to increase bloodflow to the brain. This sounds absolutely insane and I couldn't believe it when I read about people doing it, but listening to people talk who have done it makes me wonder about it.

It's a practice which has apparently been done historically through various cultures. I came across a couple studies which show that it actually does improve circulation to the brain. Speaking more spiritually however, it is supposed to "open you up" and engender the same type of mindset we have as children, i.e. when our skulls are not completely closed.

Anyway, I'm in no way considering this at the moment, but I think it definitely does fit into the world of nootropics. Perhaps it's something I'll try when I'm like 80 lol.

• like x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By