Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#2071 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

That modified pectin seems pretty cool as well. Geez so many supplements I want to take. I was wondering. After you get the hydrogenated water, how long does it stay hydrogenated? Do you have to consume out on a certain span of time? Also do you think it would work well with an oxygen source

#2072 swen

• 67 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

So I tried resistant starch again, and something interesting is happening. When I take RS (in form of Bob's Red Mill) for a few days, I encouter the following issues: 

- Itchy scalp and dandruff (never had this before)

- More irritable;

- Itchy around nose; 

- A small decrease in eyesight. 

Does anyone experience something similar? This are symptoms I usually don't have. And personally I was thinking about candida, because it has the same symptoms. However, I also read that RS doesn't feed candida. Hmmm. 

It could be that I'm feeding something that I don't want to feed. The question is what, and how do I kill it  :-D

Edited by swen, 27 September 2014 - 04:35 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#2073 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

So I tried resistant starch again, and something interesting is happening. When I take RS (in form of Bob's Red Mill) for a few days, I encouter the following issues: 

- More irritable;

- Itchy around nose; 

Does anyone experience something similar? This are symptoms I usually don't have. And personally I was thinking about candida, because it has the same symptoms. However, I also read that RS doesn't feed candida. Hmmm. 

It could be that I'm feeding something that I don't want to feed. The question is what, and how do I kill it  :-D

I could strongly suggest chlorine dioxide, but you would not believe me...  ;)

(Sodium chlorite plus acid) it worked amazingly good for me, supposedly kills only anaerobes. I capsule it to save myself the taste.

Garlic extract? Heavily discounted...

http://www.iherb.com...-Softgels/51232

Monolaurin?

http://lauricidin.com/

Grapefruit seed extract (my favourite) 

http://www.iherb.com...14&sr=null&ic=4

All these are somewhat selective for "bad bacteria".

• like x 2

#2074 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

- More irritable;
- Itchy around nose;

It could be that I'm feeding something that I don't want to feed. The question is what, and how do I kill it :-D

It's difficult to tell on symptoms alone but here goes.

Curcumin targets cell wall integrity via calcineurin-mediated signaling in Candida albicans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/24145527/

Baicalin prevents Candida albicans infections via increasing its apoptosis rate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/25065741/

Edited by Metagene, 27 September 2014 - 06:26 PM.

• like x 2

#2075 swen

• 67 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys will investigate further. For now no Potato Starch for me ;) Will use raw plantains instead. 

#2076 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Just to say that grapefruit seed extract is a biofilm buster that used to have a 4.9 average in Amazon, from around one hundred people (before nutribiotic changed supplier). It seems is as effective now, but you need a larger dose. Increadibly effective for me (antibiotics have being a joke for a chronic infection). Its effectiveness in chronic infections is due to its biofilm busting properties and also Its wide spectrum antibiotic effect. Its very cheap, and there are a few studies showing what microbes its more effective for. I have taken 10 times the amount written on the label for some months now, (after reading about possible dosages in a book about it) no side effects at all thous far! I feel great, and believe I am last cured from some very serious infection!

#2077 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

From what I understand the antimicrobial properties of grape fruit seed extract stem from synthetic additives such as benzenthonium chloride.

Development and validation of an HPLC/UV/MS method for simultaneous determination of 18 preservatives in grapefruit seed extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8344660/related

Simultaneous identification and quantification by liquid chromatography of benzethonium chloride, methyl paraben and triclosan in commercial products labeled as grapefruit seed extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8456447/related

Edited by Metagene, 29 September 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#2078 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

That's awesome. I think I'm going to be a guinea pig and test out the cheap metal rod alternative to producing h2. I already consume turmeric and those other two are prescription drugs so i won't be having those. Man I'm all about some hydrogen now too! I like how you can take it and not worry about it interfering with the gains from ROS created from exercise or lasering

Sounds good, mettmett. Let us know how the metal rod works for you...and of course, watch out for impurities (I know you already know that). 

#2079 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hey LF, 

long time....

Thought I'd chime in.

Hi-maize is 60% RS.  Green bananas have other fibers that seem to also have a cognitive effect.

If you're looking for another fiber that will give you a cognitive effect, try modified citrus pectin.  I think it's acting as GLP-1 agonist, which mimics orexin.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe! What's up man? Great to hear from you. I've been loving your website lately. Thanks for the insane amount of work you put into that thing. 

Thanks for the heads up on citrus pectin. I'll have to give it a try pretty soon. 

Have you looked into molecular hydrogen yet? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. The science looks extremely promising and my experience so far (my generator arrived on Thur) has been very good. I would describe it as a very pure sense of mental clarity. I don't feel stimulated or energized per se, but just clear. I'm pretty excited to see what this stuff is like over the next couple of weeks. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Hello again Lostfalco!

The molecular hydrogen stuff is seriously interesting. Could it be the most effective and thorough anti-oxidant (also having anti-inflammatory effects)? Tempted to trial it with a Hayashi hydrogen stick. I admit the Lourde's generator looks tempting.

I believe this is the one used in the study below

http://www.amazon.co...i=SY115&simLd=1

http://openi.nlm.nih...09-100f01&req=4

What's up Meta? Nice find, man! Is that the one that you're gonna try out?

Edited by lostfalco, 30 September 2014 - 05:21 AM.

• like x 1

#2080 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

That modified pectin seems pretty cool as well. Geez so many supplements I want to take. I was wondering. After you get the hydrogenated water, how long does it stay hydrogenated? Do you have to consume out on a certain span of time? Also do you think it would work well with an oxygen source

The amount of time it stays in the water depends on the container. Aluminum is mentioned as one of the best in the studies...up to 12 hours, I believe. So, yeah...you do have to drink it within a certain period. 

Good question on the oxygen source...I'm not totally sure. The exact mechanism/s for molecular hydrogen is/are currently under investigation. 

#2081 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

"The gases will not combine together because of the "activation
energy". If you ignited them on fire then they would recombine
vigorously. That is what rocket fuel is.

We already breath about 21% oxygen and our hemoglobin, which caries
the oxygen is already fully saturated with oxygen. But we only use a
small amount of the oxygen from the hemoglobin because we don't need
anymore. It's really the hydrogen that we are low on.

Hope that helps.
Best,
Tyler LeBaron"

I emailed Tyler, that was his response

#2082 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

From what I understand the antimicrobial properties of grape fruit seed extract stem from synthetic additives such as benzenthonium chloride.

Development and validation of an HPLC/UV/MS method for simultaneous determination of 18 preservatives in grapefruit seed extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8344660/related

Simultaneous identification and quantification by liquid chromatography of benzethonium chloride, methyl paraben and triclosan in commercial products labeled as grapefruit seed extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8456447/related

I have followed the discussion to some length, it seems they were companies that used the additives from the studies you linked. Its not conclusive though (I am not getting into details, its late and I am going for sleep). What is certain, is  that (one) of the chemicals from the studies above (triclosan I believe) is a wrong identification of a close synthetic analog, that is being produced during the not so natural extraction of grapefruit seed and pulp. Nevertheless (I want to believe) that most of the effects are from the grapefruit. Its true that grapefruit is a tough fruit to spoil supposedly due to the antibiotic oils in its skin. My positives have been phenomenal (only chlorine dioxide compares / antibiotics have been a joke due to biofilm formation from the chronic infection) with no side effects at all, at really high (but still recommended doses).

Edited by Strangelove, 30 September 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#2083 elitesagan

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up on citrus pectin. I'll have to give it a try pretty soon. 

Have you looked into molecular hydrogen yet? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. The science looks extremely promising and my experience so far (my generator arrived on Thur) has been very good. I would describe it as a very pure sense of mental clarity. I don't feel stimulated or energized per se, but just clear. I'm pretty excited to see what this stuff is like over the next couple of weeks. 

Interesting reaction. I'm looking for better sleep, energy, general reduced oxidative stress and anti-aging effects, etc. I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which will arrive tomorrow. 

Then, in addition, I ordered the same machine you did, because it was too tempting! It's the only electrolysis machine I can find that specifies the hydrogen content. The marketing of the other machines is years behind the science.

Here is good information (read the comments too) on ways to ingest hydrogen: http://www.molecular...cular-hydrogen/

Tablets and hydrogen sticks appear to be based on elemental magnesium, which does this:

Mg (s) + 2H2O(g) -> Mg(OH)2(aq) + H2(g)
so it can give a standard dose of hydrogen plus a tiny dose of milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide).

This might be a way to bump up the H2 content of your water by ~18%: keep the water at 1C rather than 20C:

http://www.engineeri...ter-d_1148.html

The page actually quotes 0.0016 g H2 per kg H2O at 20C, which is 14 ppm, but I guess the real number might be a lot lower if the H2 is competing with a lot of other dissolved atmospheric gasses (O2, N2)??? Because a lot of these products seem to max out around 0.4 ppm H2.

#2084 elitesagan

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:56 AM

Oops. Apparently this field uses mass fraction, not mole fraction, for "ppm". So, 0.0016g H2 per kg H2O is 1.6 ppm. And Lourdes claims an average ppm of 0.95, so not too shabby. 0.95 ppm is 0.95 mg/L, so 2 liters puts you in the 1-3 mg dose range that apparently the studies are using.

My machine arrived today so I will report back in a few days.

#2085 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hey LF,
long time....

Thought I'd chime in.

Hi-maize is 60% RS. Green bananas have other fibers that seem to also have a cognitive effect.

If you're looking for another fiber that will give you a cognitive effect, try modified citrus pectin. I think it's acting as GLP-1 agonist, which mimics orexin.

Cheers,
Joe

Joe! What's up man? Great to hear from you. I've been loving your website lately. Thanks for the insane amount of work you put into that thing.

Hello again Lostfalco!

The molecular hydrogen stuff is seriously interesting. Could it be the most effective and thorough anti-oxidant (also having anti-inflammatory effects)? Tempted to trial it with a Hayashi hydrogen stick. I admit the Lourde's generator looks tempting.

Same old same old. Yeah I want send a couple to my sister and compare results.

#2086 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:16 AM

Hey LF, 

long time....

Thought I'd chime in.

Hi-maize is 60% RS.  Green bananas have other fibers that seem to also have a cognitive effect.

If you're looking for another fiber that will give you a cognitive effect, try modified citrus pectin.  I think it's acting as GLP-1 agonist, which mimics orexin.

Cheers,

Joe

Hello again Lostfalco!

Hey LF, 

I have not tried or looked into molecular hydrogen.  A matter of fact I had not even heard of it as an enhancement tool before you mentioned it.

Do you have studies on it?

If you tell me it's for sure doing something, I'll buy the device.  I'm definitely intrigued.....

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Joe Cohen, 03 October 2014 - 03:17 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2087 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

"The gases will not combine together because of the "activation
energy". If you ignited them on fire then they would recombine
vigorously. That is what rocket fuel is.

We already breath about 21% oxygen and our hemoglobin, which caries
the oxygen is already fully saturated with oxygen. But we only use a
small amount of the oxygen from the hemoglobin because we don't need
anymore. It's really the hydrogen that we are low on.

Hope that helps.
Best,
Tyler LeBaron"

I emailed Tyler, that was his response

Cool. Thanks, mettmett!

#2088 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

Oops. Apparently this field uses mass fraction, not mole fraction, for "ppm". So, 0.0016g H2 per kg H2O is 1.6 ppm. And Lourdes claims an average ppm of 0.95, so not too shabby. 0.95 ppm is 0.95 mg/L, so 2 liters puts you in the 1-3 mg dose range that apparently the studies are using.

My machine arrived today so I will report back in a few days.

Very cool, elite. It'll be very interesting to see how our experiences compare. Keep us updated. 

Edited by lostfalco, 03 October 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#2089 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

Same old same old. Yeah I want send a couple to my sister and compare results.

Definitely keep us updated, Meta. A $50-$60 magnesium stick is a lot more affordable than a $900 device for an initial experiment. I hope it works well for you guys. 

#2090 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hey LF, 

I have not tried or looked into molecular hydrogen.  A matter of fact I had not even heard of it as an enhancement tool before you mentioned it.

Do you have studies on it?

If you tell me it's for sure doing something, I'll buy the device.  I'm definitely intrigued.....

Thanks for sharing.

I have a ton of studies. I'll post a couple of abstracts so that everyone can take a quick look at them. It's a fascinating substance. 

There are a number of inexpensive ways to get molecular hydrogen (elemental magnesium, turmeric, etc.) that would probably be worth a look before dropping $900 on a generator. 

I've learned more from you than you have from me...so sharing's only fair. ;)

Pharmacol Ther. 2014 Oct;144(1):1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.pharmthera.2014.04.006. Epub 2014 Apr 24.

Molecular hydrogen as a preventive and therapeutic medical gas: initiation, development and potential of hydrogen medicine.

Abstract

Molecular hydrogen (H2) has been accepted to be an inert and nonfunctional molecule in our body. We have turned this concept by demonstrating that H2 reacts with strong oxidants such as hydroxyl radical in cells, and proposed its potential for preventive and therapeutic applications. H2 has a number of advantages exhibiting extensive effects: H2 rapidly diffuses into tissues and cells, and it is mild enough neither to disturb metabolic redox reactions nor to affect signaling reactive oxygen species; therefore, there should be no or little adverse effects of H2. There are several methods to ingest or consume H2; inhaling H2 gas, drinking H2-dissolved water (H2-water), injecting H2-dissolved saline (H2-saline), taking an H2 bath, or dropping H2-saline into the eyes. The numerous publications on its biological and medical benefits revealed that H2 reduces oxidative stress not only by direct reactions with strong oxidants, but also indirectly by regulating various gene expressions. Moreover, by regulating the gene expressions, H2 functions as an anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic, and stimulates energy metabolism. In addition to growing evidence obtained by model animal experiments, extensive clinical examinations were performed or are under investigation. Since most drugs specifically act to their targets, H2 seems to differ from conventional pharmaceutical drugs. Owing to its great efficacy and lack of adverse effects, H2 has promising potential for clinical use against many diseases.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25251220

PLoS One. 2014 Sep 24;9(9):e108034. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0108034. eCollection 2014.

Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury.

Abstract

Traumatic brain injury (TBI) in its various forms has emerged as a major problem for modern society. Acute TBI can transform into a chronic condition and be a risk factor for neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, probably through induction of oxidative stress and neuroinflammation. Here, we examined the ability of the antioxidant molecular hydrogen given in drinking water (molecular hydrogen water; mHW) to alter the acute changes induced by controlled cortical impact (CCI), a commonly used experimental model of TBI. We found that mHW reversed CCI-induced edema by about half, completely blocked pathological tau expression, accentuated an early increase seen in several cytokines but attenuated that increase by day 7, reversed changes seen in the protein levels of aquaporin-4, HIF-1, MMP-2, and MMP-9, but not for amyloid beta peptide 1-40 or 1-42. Treatment with mHW also reversed the increase seen 4 h after CCI in gene expression related to oxidation/carbohydrate metabolism, cytokine release, leukocyte or cell migration, cytokine transport, ATP and nucleotide binding. Finally, we found that mHW preserved or increased ATP levels and propose a new mechanism for mHW, that of ATP production through the Jagendorf reaction. These results show that molecular hydrogen given in drinking water reverses many of the sequelae of CCI and suggests that it could be an easily administered, highly effective treatment for TBI.

Here's a huge collection of studies by Tyler LeBaron...major props to him for all of his work on this! http://www.molecular...te.com/studies/

Anyway, Joe...I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this stuff. 

Edited by lostfalco, 03 October 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#2091 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

Thanks Lostfalco again for finding this great noot idea.  

I have been looking at things like ionized water before but couldn't find any good research to back the claims for this "special" water.  Now searching hydrogen-rich water I can find some very interesting studies.  I am ordering a magnesium stick as well to test this.

Hydrogen in Drinking Water Reduces Dopaminergic Neuronal Loss in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine Mouse Model of Parkinson's Disease
It has been shown that molecular hydrogen (H2) acts as a therapeutic antioxidant and suppresses brain injury by buffering the effects of oxidative stress. Chronic oxidative stress causes neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's disease (PD). Here, we show that drinking H2-containing water significantly reduced the loss of dopaminergic neurons in PD model mice using both acute and chronic administration of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyri​dine(MPTP). The concentration-dependency of H2 showed that H2 as low as 0.08 ppm had almost the same effect as saturated H2 water (1.5 ppm). MPTP-induced accumulation of cellular 8-oxoguanine (8-oxoG), a marker of DNA damage, and 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE), a marker of lipid peroxidation were significantly decreased in the nigro-striatal dopaminergic pathway in mice drinking H2-containing water, whereas production of superoxide (O2•−) detected by intravascular injection of dihydroethidium (DHE) was not reduced significantly. Our results indicated that low concentration of H2 in drinking water can reduce oxidative stress in the brain. Thus, drinking H2-containing water may be useful in daily life to prevent or minimize the risk of life style-related oxidative stress and neurodegeneration.

→ source (external link)

Effectiveness of Hydrogen Rich Water on Antioxidant Status of Subjects with Potential Metabolic Syndrome

Metabolic syndrome is characterized by cardiometabolic risk factors that include obesity, insulin resistance, hypertension and dyslipidemia. Oxidative stress is known to play a major role in the pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome. The objective of this study was to examine the effectiveness of hydrogen rich water (1.5–2 L/day) in an open label, 8-week study on 20 subjects with potential metabolic syndrome. Hydrogen rich water was produced, by placing a metallic magnesium stick into drinking water (hydrogen concentration; 0.55–0.65 mM), by the following chemical reaction; Mg + 2H2O → Mg (OH)2 + H2. The consumption of hydrogen rich water for 8 weeks resulted in a 39% increase (p<0.05) in antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) and a 43% decrease (p<0.05) in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in urine. Further, subjects demonstrated an 8% increase in high density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol and a 13% decrease in total cholesterol/HDL-cholesterol from baseline to week 4. There was no change in fasting glucose levels during the 8 week study. In conclusion, drinking hydrogen rich water represents a potentially novel therapeutic and preventive strategy for metabolic syndrome. The portable magnesium stick was a safe, easy and effective method of delivering hydrogen rich water for daily consumption by participants in the study.

→ source (external link)

Supplementation of hydrogen-rich water improves lipid and glucose metabolism in patients with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance.
Kajiyama S1, Hasegawa G, Asano M, Hosoda H, Fukui M, Nakamura N, Kitawaki J, Imai S, Nakano K, Ohta M, Adachi T, Obayashi H, Yoshikawa T.
Author information

Abstract
Oxidative stress is recognized widely as being associated with various disorders including diabetes, hypertension, and atherosclerosis. It is well established that hydrogen has a reducing action. We therefore investigated the effects of hydrogen-rich water intake on lipid and glucose metabolism in patients with either type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). We performed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study in 30 patients with T2DM controlled by diet and exercise therapy and 6 patients with IGT. The patients consumed either 900 mL/d of hydrogen-rich pure water or 900 mL of placebo pure water for 8 weeks, with a 12-week washout period. Several biomarkers of oxidative stress, insulin resistance, and glucose metabolism, assessed by an oral glucose tolerance test, were evaluated at baseline and at 8 weeks. Intake of hydrogen-rich water was associated with significant decreases in the levels of modified low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (ie, modifications that increase the net negative charge of LDL), small dense LDL, and urinary 8-isoprostanes by 15.5% (P < .01), 5.7% (P < .05), and 6.6% (P < .05), respectively. Hydrogen-rich water intake was also associated with a trend of decreased serum concentrations of oxidized LDL and free fatty acids, and increased plasma levels of adiponectin and extracellular-superoxide dismutase. In 4 of 6 patients with IGT, intake of hydrogen-rich water normalized the oral glucose tolerance test. In conclusion, these results suggest that supplementation with hydrogen-rich water may have a beneficial role in prevention of T2DM and insulin resistance.

→ source (external link)

Drinking hydrogen water ameliorated cognitive impairment in senescence-accelerated mice.
Gu Y1, Huang CS, Inoue T, Yamashita T, Ishida T, Kang KM, Nakao A.
Author information

Abstract
Hydrogen has been reported to have neuron protective effects due to its antioxidant properties, but the effects of hydrogen on cognitive impairment due to senescence-related brain alterations and the underlying mechanisms have not been characterized. In this study, we investigated the efficacies of drinking hydrogen water for prevention of spatial memory decline and age-related brain alterations using senescence-accelerated prone mouse 8 (SAMP8), which exhibits early aging syndromes including declining learning ability and memory. However, treatment with hydrogen water for 30 days prevented age-related declines in cognitive ability seen in SAMP8 as assessed by a water maze test and was associated with increased brain serotonin levels and elevated serum antioxidant activity. In addition, drinking hydrogen water for 18 weeks inhibited neurodegeneration in hippocampus, while marked loss of neurons was noted in control, aged brains of mice receiving regular water. On the basis of our results, hydrogen water merits further investigation for possible therapeutic/preventative use for age-related cognitive disorders.

→ source (external link)

There are also many other studies about UV skin protection, neuroprotective effect, attenuation of noise induced hearing loss, etc...

• like x 5

#2092 montana2012

• 75 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:28 AM

I hope I am not steering the thread too far off.

I've got 400mg of C60 on me, extra virgin olive oil and a DIY magnetic stirrer. The study says I should mix it for 2 weeks. However, since I don't feel like waiting for the spinbar does anyone have an idea about any ferromagnetic object I could put in, that won't oxidize?

Should I filter it out after that ?

Does anyone have experience with mixing C60 at home?

Edited by montana2012, 05 October 2014 - 05:31 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2093 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

Makiavel, I bought a 99.95% our magnesium rod from gallium sources and I still felt like it tested metallic after letting it marinate for 4 hours, so I can't recommend that route.

Montana, I feel like the user named "strange love" I'd the local expert on c 60, but applying to this thread, Joe Cohen does not recommend c60 and led used together since ç60 is s long term antioxidant

#2094 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Makiavel, I bought a 99.95% our magnesium rod from gallium sources and I still felt like it tested metallic after letting it marinate for 4 hours, so I can't recommend that route.

I am not sure what you mean about "tested metallic".  Magnesium is a metal.  The magnesium ionisation may happen faster than you think.  It will happen faster if you have slightly acidic water or if you use RO or demineralized water.  I remember one study where they mixed water and pure magnesium for 1 minute only to get the required H2 concentration.  The original "magnesium stick" from Dr. Hayashi is actually a magnesium base stick and there are other things in it, but I haven't seen any mention of what it is.  You should test how fast your magnesium rod is reacting with water with something like a pH tester or ORP.

I would be concern about the 0.05% of impurities since this cheap magnesium is not intended to be comsumed in drinking water.  Do they provide the mineral content for the 0.05% left?

Specific for water consumtion products are more expensive and may have been tested for heavy metals.

#2095 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

I actually meant to write "tasted", i see my phone switched up a couple words on me. Where can I get a ph strip from? I didn't realize it reacts that fast.. Do you know what the concentration was after one minute for that study?

And no, they don't provide a mineral content on their product listing on amazon. I haven't checked their website or emailed them about it though.

#2096 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

I actually meant to write "tasted"

I figured that out.  That's an indication that there is a lot of minerals in the water.  We can hypothesize that something is increasing the reaction or that there are magnesium or other metal residues in a salt form or powder which makes the water taste a lot like metal. 

Do you use tap water?  If your water has no other minerals, like distilled water, RO water or demineralized water, that could explain the taste.  The reaction could happen faster.  The water temperature also impacts on the reaction time.  If you intentionally added lemon to your water, that could also explain it.

This study explains the method used: 

A magnesium stick composed of 90% Mg, 9% alminium and 1% zinc (6 mm diameter, 10 cm length, Nakagawa Metal, Japan) was surface-cleaned with 0.1 N acetic acid and dipped into pure water for about 1 minute. The maximum H2 content with this method was about 0.08 ppm, measured with a hydrogen electrode (DH-35A, TOA DKK Co. Ltd., Japan)...

The pH of H2 water made by the chemical reaction with Mg was about 8.8 due to the formation of Mg(OH)2, while the pH of pure water was 5.9...

The effect of H2 water on acute MPTP neurotoxicity

The effects of H2 water were dose-dependent, with a maximal effect at a much lower concentration (0.08 ppm) than saturated concentration of H2 (1.5 ppm) 

→ source (external link)

So, from this study, reaction time is fast for magnesium mixed with other metals (I don't like the idea of putting aluminium in my water) and it seems that for the application they were testing for, less is better.

Edit: typo

Edited by Makiavel, 05 October 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#2097 mettmett

• 112 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

ok so i've had this water using this magnesium rod: " http://www.amazon.co...s=magnesium rod " three different times now. 

the first time i used bottled deer park water and let it sit for probably 20 minutes and the taste wasnt an issue.  The second time I used the same bottled water and let it sit for ~4hours and that was when it tasted very metallic and it upset my stomach.I just now did it for a third time using distilled water and let it sit for 5 minutes.  this taste fine, and definetly different from plain distilled water. 

The very first time after I drank it, i listened to some instrumentals and did some freestyling/singing and I felt like it was in the zone.  Things were flowing and I had some decent lines.  Those ones where you sit back and think "damn did i just come up with that???"  I recorded the freestyles too to add extra "pressure".  Because for me its different making up stuff to just myself than it is freestyling and knowing that I will hear my mistakes on the recording.  Anyways what I was trying to say is i felt more creative and clear headed after consuming the very first glass.  i'll update if it does anything for me this time.

#2098 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

This is the composition of a "turned rod" that GalliumSource is selling for a few dollars more.

99.96% purity.  There is a 0.01% of unknown metal left.  Not sure if it is a concern.

Attached File  Magnesium Rod COA VT6000 2nd Batch Proprietary Info Removed.jpg   34.45KB   5 downloads

#2099 EfeitoPlacebo

• 20 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

A cheaper way to get hydrogen water may be diluting food grade hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water.

http://www.amazon.co...xide food grade

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#2100 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

A cheaper way to get hydrogen water may be diluting food grade hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water.

http://www.amazon.co...xide food grade

I was thinking about this, but I'm not sure it would produce the same results. I recently found some files, books, etc. that I used to collect references on H202, and just disregarded all the very bold claims. There is actually a lot of evidence for H202 therapy, though in a very controlled, careful manner. Yet I think direct ingestion of H2 would confer some different benefits than H202.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge than myself in chemistry can comment on that, though. Hopefully I'll understand chemistry a little better after the upcoming Coursera course on it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By