spermidine pqq c60

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#211 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

Thank you, Turnbuckle.

I'm going to post the link on http://www.longecity...rmidine-source/ and see if anyone has vetted some inexpensive sources.

I had almost forgotten about spermidine, when I re-stumbled on this forum.

So I ordered some more from Sigma, which, while being of impeccable quality, is of course, a very expensive source.

#212 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Has anyone determined optimal dosing for spermidine?

Another way to look at it is there a high dose that is known to cause problems?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#213 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

LKM512 probotic or yogurt, which produces spermidine at the GI tract can be ordered from overseas amazon.com japan https://www.google.c...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The most affordable product, which appears to be yogurt starter is about us$9.00 there are also pills at about us$44.00

https://translate.go...KXO&prev=search

Attached File  31VoC3pTJ9L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg   6.23KB   4 downloads

Edited by treonsverdery, 28 June 2016 - 11:28 PM.

• Informative x 2

#214 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Yes would be interesting to know. Just listened to an interview of 20 minutes on a science radio show.

Appearantly there are about 50 teams around the worl that started looking into Spermadine in 2009 when it was discovered as an anti aging "treatment"

First human trials have just started now though on 60-80 year olds.

It was one funny fact that they said it was that normally a human gets lower levels of spermidine with age but when the check levels of only 100 year olds, then infact they had very high spermadine levels in there bodies....

Now they never continued talking about it but perhaps some people are just different and have higher levels of spermadine and that are all the 100 year plus people, but since spermadine have to do with DNA stability it's not that strange that they live longer anyway.

Edited by AdamI, 06 September 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#215 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

Yes would be interesting to know. Just listened to an interview of 20 minutes on a science radio show.

Appearantly there are about 50 teams around the worl that started looking into Spermadine in 2009 when it was discovered as an anti aging "treatment"

First human trials have just started now though on 60-80 year olds.

It was one funny fact that they said it was that normally a human gets lower levels of spermidine with age but when the check levels of only 100 year olds, then infact they had very high spermadine levels in there bodies....

Now they never continued talking about it but perhaps some people are just different and have higher levels of spermadine and that are all the 100 year plus people, but since spermadine have to do with DNA stability it's not that strange that they live longer anyway.

What is the source please ? This doesnt make sense is not what we see in mices so please the link. Also where it was located exactly ? testicles ? gut ?

#216 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

Yeah here is the line, suggest u download the interview works better... there were a seminar in Stockholm on the prolonging life or what ever that is why they mananged to get people from around the world in the same interview:

http://sverigesradio...6?programid=412

At 8 min and 50 seconds they say "when they check the levels of spermidine in 100+ years old they had unusually high levels of spermidine. But it's in swedish so good luck :), unless ur danish norweigan or perhaps finnish?

In any case 2 of the people they interview is Frank Madeo and Ellen Nollen. But I guess the easiest way is to simple email Ylva Carlqvist Warnborg who made the interview

Other people in the interview were these ones:

I programmet medverkar Ellen Nollen, professor vid European Institute for the Biology of Ageing University Medical Center Groeningen Nederländerna, Sten Sjöberg, elev på naturprogrammet,Lisa Hellström, elev naturprogrammet, Thomas Nyström, professor i mikrobiologi vid Sahlgrenska Akademin Göteborgs universitet, Frank Madeo, professor i molekylär biovetenskap universitetet i Graz Österrike, Valter Longo, professor i biogerontologi University of Southern California USA, Eline Slagboom, professor i molekylär epidemiologi universitetssjukhuset i Leiden Nederländerna.

Also:

I listened to it again now and they said the reason why spermadine works against ageing is because it's role in augifagi(swedish word dunno how it spells), which is when the body cleans out damaged proteins.

#217 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Has there been an actual mammalian study that showed increased life extension on spermidine? I have searched and I have only found mouse studies showing increases in health span using various markers, but nothing on lifespan.

The "yogurt study" appears to be the only study that tracked age and it showed no lifespan increase. I find the results of that study to be suspicious given the dramatic increase btw. If anyone has a link to a study on increased longevity in mammals everyone would be interested in seeing it.
  • Good Point x 1

#218 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Eat your peas:

Eisenberg et al, 2016. Cardioprotection and lifespan extension by the natural polyamine spermidine. Nature Medicine. doi:10.1038/nm.4222

Here we show that oral supplementation of the natural polyamine spermidine extends the lifespan of mice and exerts cardioprotective effects, reducing cardiac hypertrophy and preserving diastolic function in old mice. Spermidine feeding enhanced cardiac autophagy, mitophagy and mitochondrial respiration, and it also improved the mechano-elastical properties of cardiomyocytes in vivo, coinciding with increased titin phosphorylation and suppressed subclinical inflammation. Spermidine feeding failed to provide cardioprotection in mice that lack the autophagy-related protein Atg5 in cardiomyocytes. In Dahl salt-sensitive rats that were fed a high-salt diet, a model for hypertension-induced congestive heart failure, spermidine feeding reduced systemic blood pressure, increased titin phosphorylation and prevented cardiac hypertrophy and a decline in diastolic function, thus delaying the progression to heart failure. In humans, high levels of dietary spermidine, as assessed from food questionnaires, correlated with reduced blood pressure and a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease.

• Informative x 4
  • WellResearched x 1

#219 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Nice study...I like how they administered it to aged mice as well and also showed a possible correlation with humans and their dietary intake.

Eat your peas:

Eisenberg et al, 2016. Cardioprotection and lifespan extension by the natural polyamine spermidine. Nature Medicine. doi:10.1038/nm.4222

Here we show that oral supplementation of the natural polyamine spermidine extends the lifespan of mice and exerts cardioprotective effects, reducing cardiac hypertrophy and preserving diastolic function in old mice. Spermidine feeding enhanced cardiac autophagy, mitophagy and mitochondrial respiration, and it also improved the mechano-elastical properties of cardiomyocytes in vivo, coinciding with increased titin phosphorylation and suppressed subclinical inflammation. Spermidine feeding failed to provide cardioprotection in mice that lack the autophagy-related protein Atg5 in cardiomyocytes. In Dahl salt-sensitive rats that were fed a high-salt diet, a model for hypertension-induced congestive heart failure, spermidine feeding reduced systemic blood pressure, increased titin phosphorylation and prevented cardiac hypertrophy and a decline in diastolic function, thus delaying the progression to heart failure. In humans, high levels of dietary spermidine, as assessed from food questionnaires, correlated with reduced blood pressure and a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease.

• like x 2

#220 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

Great find, Darryl. Finally we have a top-level study showing lifespan extension in mice by oral supplementation. That's huge!

I noticed that I made an error in my previous post concerning the spermidine content of wheat germ. It should be around 4 mg per tablespoon, not 20 mg. With 440 mg/kg it is still by far the most concentrated and cost-effective dietary source though.

If you are concerned about the lectins, get toasted wheat germ, or toast it yourself. It brings out the taste and should disable most lectins. Be assured that I regularly eat wheat germ for years and that I neither have developed a "wheat belly" nor a "grain brain"...

Edited by timar, 16 November 2016 - 08:47 PM.

• Informative x 3

#221 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hopefully the Eisenberg study will prompt some vendor to start selling the stuff. It this was patentable, it would be huge.

• Good Point x 1

#222 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

Putrescene, Spermine and Spermidine content in many foods are in the table showing mg/kg or mg/L.

Table of foods (There is a link at the top going to the original Pubmed article):

https://www.ncbi.nlm...63/table/T0001/

Putrescene, Spermine and Spermidine in some foods by nmol per serving:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...48593/table/T1/

These were obtained due to  post number 11 by member Michael in an earlier thread.

http://www.longecity...onder-chemical/

#223 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

Bumping this thread back up to see if anyone has got a good source for spermidine.

Don't understand why a major supplement making isn't selling this stuff.  Perhaps the name is too of putting to most of their male customers.  Maybe we should invent a new name.

#224 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

we should start sending emails to the top manufactures of supplements asking about this actually. i just recently found you can purchase some of that from labs online, but it costs too much, as expected. i wish supplement manufactures get the clue

#225 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

Was awhile ago I read about Spermadine, so was that the substance that activated Telomerase in sperm so that the sperms always have full lenght Telomeres?

#226 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

I wonder if someone like Bulk Supplements could be induced to carry this?

#227 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

i used to send emails to places like powder city asking for various obscure chemicals back then when they were still operating and they would respond saying they might add or think about it, so as i said before, good to start emailing various online vendors for powders and ask them

#228 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Research updates (I did another literature pass, and quite a few more spermidine studies became open access). Rather than search upthread, here's a dump:

Eisenberg et al, 2009. Induction of autophagy by spermidine promotes longevityNature cell biology11(11), p.1305.

administration of spermidine, a natural polyamine whose intracellular concentration declines during human ageing, markedly extended the lifespan of yeast, flies and worms, and human immune cells.

Ramot et al, 2011. Spermidine promotes human hair growth and is a novel modulator of human epithelial stem cell functionsPLoS One6(7), p.e22564.

We have studied the effects of the prototypic polyamine, spermidine (0.1–1 mM), on human scalp hair follicles and human hair follicle epithelial stem cells in serum-free organ culture. Under these conditions, spermidine promoted hair shaft elongation and prolonged hair growth.

Choi and Park, 2012. Anti-inflammatory effects of spermidine in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated BV2 microglial cellsJournal of biomedical science19(1), p.31.
Pretreatment with spermidine prior to LPS treatment significantly inhibited excessive production of NO and PGE2 in a dose-dependent manner, and was associated with down-regulation of expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2). Spermidine treatment also attenuated the production of pro- inflammatory cytokines, including IL-6 and TNF-a,

Spermidine or spermine, given in drinking water for 28 days, significantly prevented the increased osteoclast surface/bone surface ratio and the reduced bone volume following ovariectomy in mice.

Minois et al, 2012. Spermidine promotes stress resistance in Drosophila melanogaster through autophagy-dependent and-independent pathwaysCell death & disease3(10), p.e401.

Spermidine improves both survival and locomotor activity of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster upon exposure to the superoxide generator and neurotoxic agent paraquat...Spermidine failed to confer resistance to paraquat-induced toxicity and locomotor impairment in flies deleted for the essential autophagic regulator ATG7 (autophagy-related gene 7). Spermidine treatment did also protect against mild doses of another oxidative stressor, hydrogen peroxide, but in this case in an autophagy-independent manner.

Twenty-four week old Jc1:ICR male mice were fed one of three experimental chows containing different polyamine concentrations. Lifetime intake of high polyamine chow, which had a polyamine content approximately three times higher than regular chow, elevated polyamine concentrations in whole blood, suppressed age-associated increases in pro-inflammatory status, decreased age-associated pathological changes, inhibited age-associated global alteration in DNA methylation status and reduced the mortality in aged mice. ...increased polyamine intake was associated with a decreased incidence of colon tumors in BALB/c mice after 1,2-demethylhydrazine administration; 12 mice (60%) in the low polyamine
group developed tumors, compared with only 5 mice (25%) in the high polyamine group. However, increased polyamine intake accelerated the growth of established tumors;

Gupta et al, 2013. Restoring polyamines protects from age-induced memory impairment in an autophagy-dependent mannerNature neuroscience16(10), pp.1453-1460.

Spermidine-fed flies showed enhanced autophagy (a form of cellular self-digestion), and genetic deficits in the autophagic machinery prevented spermidine-mediated rescue of memory impairments.

LaRocca et al, 2013. The autophagy enhancer spermidine reverses arterial agingMechanisms of ageing and development134(7), pp.314-320.
Spermidine supplementation normalized aortic pulse wave velocity, restored NO-mediated endothelium-dependent dilation and reduced nitrotyrosine, superoxide, AGEs and collagen in old mice. These effects of spermidine were associated with enhanced arterial expression of autophagy markers, and in vitro experiments demonstrated that vascular protection by spermidine was autophagy-dependent.

Sigrist et al., 2014. Spermidine-triggered autophagy ameliorates memory during agingAutophagy10(1), pp.178-179.
flies’ age-dependent decline of aversive olfactory memory, an established model for age-induced memory impairment, can be rescued by both pharmacological treatment with spermidine and genetic modulation that increases endogenous polyamine levels. Notably, we find that this effect strictly depends on autophagy,

Büttner et al, 2014. Spermidine protects against α-synuclein neurotoxicityCell cycle13(24), pp.3903-3908.
administration of the naturally occurring polyamine spermidine, which declines continuously during aging in various species, alleviates a series of PD-related degenerative processes in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster and the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, two established model systems for PD pathology. In the fruit fly, simple feeding with spermidine inhibited loss of climbing activity and early organismal death upon heterologous expression of human a-synuclein, which is thought to be the principal toxic trigger of PD. In this line, administration of spermidine rescued a-synuclein-induced loss of dopaminergic neurons, a hallmark of PD, in nematodes.

Pietrocola et al. 2015. Spermidine induces autophagy by inhibiting the acetyltransferase EP300Cell death and differentiation22(3), p.509.
anacardic acid, curcumin, garcinol and spermidine, all of which reduce the acetylation level of cultured human cells as they induce signs of increased autophagic flux. We performed a screen to identify the acetyltransferases whose depletion would activate autophagy and simultaneously inhibit mTORC1. The knockdown of only two acetyltransferases (among 43 candidates) had such effects: EP300... and NAA20.... anacardic acid, curcumin, garcinol and spermidine all inhibited the acetyltransferase activity of recombinant EP300 protein in vitro.

Eisenberg et al, 2016. Cardioprotection and lifespan extension by the natural polyamine spermidineNature medicine22(12), pp.1428-1438. (read only access found)
oral supplementation of the natural polyamine spermidine extends the lifespan of mice and exerts cardioprotective effects, reducing cardiac hypertrophy and preserving diastolic function in old mice. Spermidine feeding enhanced cardiac autophagy, mitophagy and mitochondrial respiration, and it also improved the mechano-elastical properties of cardiomyocytes in vivo, coinciding with increased titin phosphorylation and suppressed subclinical inflammation. Spermidine feeding failed to provide cardioprotection in mice that lack the autophagy-related protein Atg5 in cardiomyocytes. In Dahl salt-sensitive rats that were fed a high-salt diet, a model for hypertension-induced congestive heart failure, spermidine feeding reduced systemic blood pressure, increased titin phosphorylation and prevented cardiac hypertrophy and a decline in diastolic function, thus delaying the progression to heart failure. In humans, high levels of dietary spermidine, as assessed from food questionnaires, correlated with reduced blood pressure and a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease.

spermidine changed neither the size of the plaque nor its cellular composition. However, spermidine treatment significantly reduced necrotic core formation (6.6±0.5% vs. 3.7±0.5% in aortic root, P=0.0008) and lipid accumulation inside the plaque (27±3% vs. 17±1% oil red O positivity in thoracic aorta, P=0.017). In vitro experiments showed that macrophages, unlike vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs), are relatively insensitive to autophagy induction by spermidine. Along these lines, spermidine triggered cholesterol efflux in autophagy-competent VSMCs (5.7±1.2% vs. 8.7±0.2%, P=0.0118), but not in autophagy-deficient Atg7F/F SM22α-Cre+ VSMCs or macrophages. Analogous to the experiments in vitro, spermidine affected neither necrosis nor lipid load in plaques of Atg7F/FSM22α-Cre+ ApoE-/- mice.

Spermidine coupled with exercise could attenuate D-gal-induced aging-related atrophy of skeletal muscle through induced autophagy and reduced apoptosis with characteristics of more autophagosomes, activated mitophagy, enhanced mitochondrial quality, alleviated cell shrinkage, and less swollen mitochondria under transmission scanning microscopic observation. Meanwhile, spermidine coupled with exercise could induce autophagy through activating AMPK-FOXO3a signal pathway with characterization of increased Beclin1 and LC3-II/LC3-I ratio, up-regulated anti-apoptotic Bcl-2, down-regulated pro-apoptotic Bax and caspase-3, as well as activated AMPK and FOXO3a.

Edited by Darryl, 08 September 2017 - 10:55 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 2

#229 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Outstanding overview of the current research Darryl.

Why don't we start lobbying some of the likely suspects that might bring something like this to market.  Perhaps point them at this thread.  Life Extension, Jarrow, who else?  A small specialty supplement maker might be the ticket.

This stuff is too promising to have it off the market.  Supplement makers are currently selling substances with far less evidence behind them right now.

Maybe we need to change the name? Is that why this isn't on the market?  How about 1,5,10-Triazadecane?

It boggles the mind that I can't go buy this stuff at this moment

#230 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:26 AM

lol...If the men that you blow are low in spermidine then you'd be giving free BJs for nothing. You'd better have their levels tested first or choose all young men with the hope that most have normal levels. I guess you could blow yourself and recycle but I for one will pass on all of that. I dont know how much would be in a typical ejaculate but I'd rather eat the corn regardless.

I doubt the name is stopping anyone from selling the stuff. Its probably got more to do with all the normal reasons such as supply, profit, demand, logistics and so on.

You could mention it to Elysium. Arent they looking for more nutraceuticals to bring to market. MitoQ is constantly coming out with new mixes as well.

How much spermidine is there in semen, anyway? Maybe giving free BJs to all the guys you know isn't really that big of a win compared to, say, canned corn. Here are values in nmol for various foods, from Table 1 of the polyamine database paper.

Corn (fresh/canned) ½ cup 137,682/221,111a
Green pea soup 1 cup 65,552
Pear 1 medium 60,756
Cheese enchilada 1 medium 48,770
Tempeh 3 oz 42,618
Soy burgers 1 39,616
Peas (fresh/canned) ½ cup 35,9 20/38,165a
Lentil soup 1 cup 37,117
Pasta with meat sauce 1 cup 36,059
Tofu hotdog 1 27,121

Spermidine is 145g/m, so here's how to convert these numbers to grams, using canned corn as the example:

221,111nm * (1e-9 m/nm) * 145g/m = 0.032g

#231 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:33 AM

How much spermidine is thought to be a therapeutic dose for a human?  How many cans of corn?

#232 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

these two are the ones i acquired that seem to sell it;

https://phytotechlab...spermidine.html
https://www.scbt.com...aTv!-1419838080

#233 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

these two are the ones i acquired that seem to sell it;

https://phytotechlab...spermidine.html
https://www.scbt.com...aTv!-1419838080

Have you ever purchased from either of these sources?

#234 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

im going to try soon. i got the source from another thread related to spermidine. the guy gave me these urls and said he ordered from them and even though they ask for a company name, you can still get it delivered to your home. at least thats what he said, but ill soon find out, perhaps on monday

#235 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:50 AM

Let us know if you're successful buying from either of those sources.  Those are the vendors I'm looking at as well but they are expensive sources.

What we really ought to do is organize some sort of group buy.  Spermidine can be had cheaply in bulk.  Anyone got any idea of where we could get it tested and how much it would cost?

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 10 September 2017 - 01:55 AM.

#236 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

Im not sure you should take that stuff even if they would sell it to you. I had a talk with one of the salesmen over at Sigma Aldrich a while back when I tried to buy something and he informed me that most everything they have is not considered safe for human consumption as is  due to sterilization issues or contamination and that purification techniques by a lab would be a must. I think the modified corn is probably safer unless you're willing to spend the money on the lab to purify it and then have a 3rd party lab test the purified product. Im not aware of any evidence that it would be better than a food source anyway. Im not sure it will even benefit older folks that much so it may not be worth it.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#237 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:21 AM

uhm all places i ever buy anything, herbs included, would say its not for human consumption. i dont get whats the point of what you are saying.

why would they say its OK for humans to consume material that is not approved by FDA? that puts them in bad position, doesnt it, genius??

anyway, ive taken so many things sold online as "not for human consumption" even simple herbs like kratom are sold this way because FDA hasnt approved it for anything. same as all racetams. What, you are telling me someone will sell racetams and say CONSUME! ? cmon dude, be smarter than that

Edited by hazy, 11 September 2017 - 02:22 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#238 Chris Pollyanna

• 139 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

Further to Darryl's excellent compilation of research on Spermidine above, I found 3 more articles of interest on my hard drive, one of which I've attached the PDF, however the other two were over the upload size limit, so have just posted the abstracts and links:

@Darryl & everyone else - to never wait for an article to become open access ever again, go to http://www.sci-hub.cc/  paste the URL of the article into it & voila: you get the PDF to see and download! :-D

Spermidine promotes retinal ganglion cell survival and
optic nerve regeneration in adult mice following optic
nerve injury - Cell Death  & Disease (2015)

Abstract
Spermidine acts as an endogenous free radical scavenger and inhibits the action of reactive oxygen species. In this study, we
examined the effects of spermidine on retinal ganglion cell (RGC) death in a mouse model of optic nerve injury (ONI). Daily
ingestion of spermidine reduced RGC death following ONI and sequential in vivo retinal imaging revealed that spermidine
effectively prevented retinal degeneration. Apoptosis signal-regulating kinase-1 (ASK1) is an evolutionarily conserved mitogenactivated
protein kinase kinase kinase and has an important role in ONI-induced RGC apoptosis. We demonstrated that spermidine
suppresses ONI-induced activation of the ASK1-p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Moreover, production of
chemokines important for microglia recruitment was decreased with spermidine treatment and, consequently, accumulation of
retinal microglia is reduced. In addition, the ONI-induced expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in the retina was inhibited
with spermidine treatment, particularly in microglia. Furthermore, daily spermidine intake enhanced optic nerve regeneration
in vivo. Our findings indicate that spermidine stimulates neuroprotection as well as neuroregeneration, and may be useful for
treatment of various neurodegenerative diseases including glaucoma.

Spermidine prolongs lifespan and prevents liver fibrosis and hepatocellular
carcinoma by activating MAP1S-mediated autophagy - Cancer Research (2017)

Abstract
Liver fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) have worldwide impact but
continue to lack safe, low cost and effective treatments. In this study, we show how the
simple polyamine spermidine can relieve cancer cell defects in autophagy which trigger
oxidative stress-induced cell death and promote liver fibrosis and HCC. We found that
the autophagic marker protein LC3 interacted with the microtubule-associated protein
MAP1S which positively regulated autophagy flux in cells. MAP1S stability was
regulated in turn by its interaction with the histone deacetylase HDAC4. Notably,
MAP1S-deficient mice exhibited a 20% reduction in median survival and developed
severe liver fibrosis and HCC under stress. Wild-type mice or cells treated with
spermidine exhibited a relative increase in MAP1S stability and autophagy signaling via
depletion of cytosolic HDAC4. Extending recent evidence that orally administered
spermidine can extend lifespan in mice, we determined that life extension of up to 25%
can be produced by lifelong administration which also reduced liver fibrosis and HCC
foci as induced by chemical insults. Genetic investigations established that these
observed impacts of oral spermidine administration relied upon MAP1S-mediated
autophagy. Our findings offer a preclinical proof of concept for the administration of oral
spermidine to prevent liver fibrosis and HCC and potentially extend lifespan.

http://cancerres.aac...472.CAN-16-3462

Dietary spermidine for lowering high blood pressure - Autophagy (2017)

ABSTRACT

Loss of cardiacmacroautophagy/autophagy impairs heart function, and evidence accumulates that an increased
autophagic flux may protect against cardiovascular disease. We therefore tested the protective capacity of the
natural autophagy inducer spermidine in animalmodels of aging and hypertension, which both represent major
risk factors for the development of cardiovascular disease. Dietary spermidine elicits cardioprotective effects in
aged mice through enhancing cardiac autophagy and mitophagy. In salt-sensitive rats, spermidine
supplementation also delays the development of hypertensive heart disease, coinciding with reduced arterial
blood pressure. The high blood pressure-lowering effect likely results from improved global arginine
bioavailability and protection from hypertension-associated renal damage. The polyamine spermidine is
naturally present in human diets, though to a varying amount depending on food type and preparation. In
humans, high dietary spermidine intake correlates with reduced blood pressure and decreased risk of
cardiovascular disease and related death. Altogether, spermidine represents a cardio- and vascular-protective
autophagy inducer that can be readily integrated in common diets.

Attached File  Spermidine Blood Pressure 2017.pdf   420.8KB   2 downloads

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5381711/

I must admit that I'm also quite surprised that no supplement manufacturer has taken this up, considering the weight of evidence piling up in it's favour. It can't just be because of the name, can it? :|?

Personally, I've invested in wheat germ since the start of the year, sprinkling a couple tea spoons onto my mixed nuts and berries for breakfast (the flavour works quite well together) as well as taking even more interest in aged cheddar and blue cheeses!  Not to mention the humble broccoli, which more and more appears in my opinion to be the superfood to end all superfoods... 

• WellResearched x 1

#239 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:18 AM

It seems likely that a reason that a supplement manufacturer hasn't included it in a formula is because of the name and the odor/aroma.

It has an unmistakable smell that tends to gross guys, at least, out. It may affect women differently, but every guy friend that I have had smell a bottle of it was immediately repelled. Pretty funny!

What other name could a supplement manufacturer call it that wouldn't produce disdain?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#240 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

It is a bit more complex than that.

A whole herb might be contaminated by molds or fungi or just "processed" in a way not suitable for consumption leaving its use for topical use only (cosmetic grade).

It wouldn't be smart to ingest such a product likely causing more harm than the supposed benefit but with a bit of luck not too much damage would result.

With extracts or synthesis products things gets way more tricky, for example solvents you don't want to know about are used in the processes and need to be completely washed out, easier said than done, often is a tedious and expensive process, sometimes more efficient solvents are used in place of more health friendly ones, etc...

One can end up with a pretty nastily contaminated product without even having a clue, some serious health hazard is very possible.

We all know how it goes with the "research compounds not for human use" and of course it is just a way to be "legally" able to sell certain substances to the public but would be naive to believe that's the only reality around.

Sigma-Aldrich for example has no marketing reason for stating their products as not for human use since they are not going to sell them to you or me anyway, they only sell to authorized researchers (try to place an order with them if you don't believe me).

That there is a will because of strong interests towards manipulating the health industry is a reality but to think everything is just a conspiracy because of that is just plain stupidity. 

Just make sure to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spermidine, pqq, c60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users