• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Product: Himalaya Mentat
Type of Trial: Experimental Megadosing
Object: Healthy 23 Year Old Caucasian Male
Goal: Check if Megadosing Several Popular Herbs may Improve Cognitive Functioning
Timeframe: 6 Months

Ingredients of Mentat: Each Mentat Tablet Contains:

Extracts.
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
136mg

Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica)
70mg

Ashvagandha (Withania somnifera)
52mg

Vishnukrantha (Evolvulus alsinoides)
52mg

Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
52mg

Tagara (Valeriana wallichii)
50mg

Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
50mg

Vatada (Prunus amygdalus)
50mg

Vacha (Acorus calamus)
42mg

Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
36mg

Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
36mg

Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
36mg

Shyonaka (Oroxylum indicum)
32mg

Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus)
32mg

Powders.
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
80mg

Ashvagandha (Withania somnifera)
18mg

Kapikacchu (Mucuna pruriens)
18mg

Sukshmaila (Elettaria cardamomum)
18mg

Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna)
18mg

Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa)
18mg

Vidari (Ipomoea digitata)
18 mg

Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
14mg

Edited by Tatsumaru, 11 May 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#2 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Day 1:
The recommended dose of this herbal preparation is 2 tablets, 2 times a day.
I will start this trial by taking 6 tablets, 2 times a day. This is just 3 times the recommended dose. By the end of the trial I will attempt 30 tablets, 2 times a day which is 15 times the recommended dose.
My goal is to maintain lower cortisol level, high mental clarity without the side effect of over stimulation, anxyolitic and well-being effect.

Took first dose of 6 tablets, 2 hours before bed. I had trouble sleeping whole week. Definitely felt a rapid calming effect that is yet sublte, but not too subtle to mistake for placebo. Got up early in the morning feeling refreshed for the first time that week. Didn't dream and had a very nice deep sleep.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Day 2:

Took 6 tablets twice. Was very relaxed at work even though I'm overwhelmed with new projects. I maintained a very nice rapport with a female colleague. Was feeling a bit foggy though.

Day 3:

Took 6 tablets twice. I'm feeling a sense of inner peace and strong desire to manifest my goals into reality. Started a new affiliate marketing program.
Intelligence feels more like an easily accessible database rather than an idea generator right now.

I will maintain this regimen for 3-4 more days when I will switch to 12 tabs, 2 times a day and report with results.

#4 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Why don't you buy Bacopa, Ashwagandha, and Jatamansi seperately, then take with a regular dosage of Himalaya Mentat? You'd save money by buying bulk and would be getting more of the herbs that make the difference.

#5 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Why don't you buy Bacopa, Ashwagandha, and Jatamansi seperately, then take with a regular dosage of Himalaya Mentat? You'd save money by buying bulk and would be getting more of the herbs that make the difference.

All the herbs make a difference. It just that you know only those three.
Himalaya Mentat is extremely cheap. It's $1 a box. It would take me just $60 to take 2 boxes a day for one month. Cheaper than buying anything else.

#6 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

All the herbs make a difference. It just that you know only those three.
Himalaya Mentat is extremely cheap. It's $1 a box. It would take me just $60 to take 2 boxes a day for one month. Cheaper than buying anything else.

No, I don't only know those three. Those are the main ones (ingredients are usually listed in order from most important to least). And you'd take the Himalaya Mentat at the regular dosage, or 2x the dosage to get the rest. But it was just an idea.

Edited by Joel, 11 May 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#7 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

You didn't even mention the Gotu Kola, that's enough for me to judge your knowledge.

#8 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

You didn't even mention the Gotu Kola, that's enough for me to judge your knowledge.

No, it's enough for me to see that you haven't read what I wrote. You'd still take all the etc herbs by taking Himalaya Mentat at the regular dosage or at 2x the dosage (no need to mega-dose), and you'd "mega-dose" the three herbs I mention. Also, of all the herbs listed (which are all great, I guess I have to mention), Jatamansi is the one that sticks out to me, specifically because of Nardosinone (NGF release).

If you want a recommendation that's not included in the Himalaya Mentat formulation, then I'd recommend Ashitaba. 1.5g 3x/day.

Edited by Joel, 11 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#9 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

I am interested in taking the Haritaki as part of Triphala (Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula).Triphala just happened to be a good deal on eBay. Tannines (esp. from Haritaki) are a class of antioxidants that I am not supplementing on a larger scale yet (I guess red wine and sencha tea has a bit). I won't megadose Triphala. What are the benefits of Ashitaba or Jatamansi?

#10 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thats an interesting experiment, but in the end you dont know what herb you benefited the most from.

Where do you get mentat for one dollar?

#11 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thats an interesting experiment, but in the end you dont know what herb you benefited the most from.

Local Pharmacy or Himalaya Distributor. I buy 20 bottles and they sell them to me at $1 each.

It's true that you don't really get a definitive answer as to which herb exactly does the job, but that's ok with me. As long as the combination works I don't feel the need to isolate individual herbs and make my life harder.

#12 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Celastrus paniculus raises glutathione in the brain and possibly is an maoi

#13 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hey tatsumaru,

Hows the experiment going?

Are you seeing results?

I just started with Mentat regular dose, and was wondering if i should dose more?

Any suggestions?
  • dislike x 1

#14 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I kept doing this until lately. Last dose was 15 tabl. twice daily.
First few days effects were pretty nice. Felt relaxed and focused at the same time. It wasn't a wow thing but it was definitely there.
Then after a few days it went away probably due to some tolerance or who knows, so I stopped taking them.
I have noticed however that 6 tabl. taken 30 min pre-bed improve my sleep quality. However this only works if you take them no more than twice a week else it goes away.

A few months ago I tried a combo of Piracetam and Mentat for my anxiety disorder and it cured me. I mean I know how ridiculous this sounds but I've totally changed since then. I am not anxious anymore.
  • like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#15 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. Lets see how i do. :)

#16 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

A few months ago I tried a combo of Piracetam and Mentat for my anxiety disorder and it cured me. I mean I know how ridiculous this sounds but I've totally changed since then. I am not anxious anymore.

Consider writing down this experience in detail. I am sure others would be interested to hear about it.

#17 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Im using ashwagandha 500 mg + geriforte 4 tablets daily + Mentat 4 tablets daily

I feel really good actually, a little too calm? :-D

i also got some headaches the first day.

Since mentat and geriforte both have ashwagandha too, im wondering if there is overdose component involved?

but some people do take more than 1000mg ashwagandha. So i guess that would not be the reason.

Anyway just letting you all now.

Theyre all cheap! (from company called HImalaya)

#18 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

Since we are in Ayur Vedic territory anyone like or dislike Shillajit? From what I know of gotu kola… limited I admit, It's a diuretic big time and I was told yogis take it to increase hemispheric coherence. 

If your meditation program is any good it will enhance hemispheric coherence on it's own. But then yogis in bygone days didn't have the telemetry we have available now. 

#19 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

I finished one bottle of Shilajit from Jarrow and one from Nature's Way (altogether 2 months), and to be honest I did not notice any difference whatsoever from taking either, although it is possible it takes time to work and the effects are subtle, of course. I took it with CoQ10 and PQQ for reported synergy effects. Anyway, didn't seem to work for me based on that so I've stopped taking it.

Gotu kola is a diuretic but for me, less so than coffee or alcohol. Over the short term, increased circulation is noticeable. Large doses cause drowsiness. For me, coffee and gotu kola do not synergize well, seemed to worsen heart palpitations. It did appear to positively influence reaction time and perhaps working memory for me - but I took it during the same time as piracetam so I cannot say for sure which one was responsible for the working memory effect.

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 19 April 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#20 SnowWhite

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

dear guy, 

you started wrong from the first day, no wonder you failed so successfully.. There is a reason they recommend 2 pills, twice a day. And there is a reason herbal remedies should be taken for at least 3 months to see results. Firstly, you took so many pills and you presume your body absorbed them all, but I bet that most of what you took, went out. So you wasted a lot of pills. Secondly, you started with a huge dose then you reduced, which is even more stupid, please pardon my french. Your body got used to the huge dose, then you reduce it ? What on Earth made you think that will work ? No wonder you didnt notice any improvement in the following days. 

if you really want to test this medicine, start like normal people, by taking 2 pills twice a day, for several months. Then do the comparison...

before releasing it, this medicine has been under serious testing for several years...and the people who researched it discovered that it gives maximum effect when taken twice a day....not when taken 1 bottle a day...

lol, you take 100 pills in 3 days and you want to see effects?  That is extremely naive, not to say idiotic. And even worse, you post this here so other guys will start doing the same. 

Every body reacts differently, you smart asses, and unless you follow the indications on the bottle, you will never be able to see if it has an effect on yours or not. Some of you might even be allergic to some of the ingredients, imagine what taking 100 pills would do to you ? 

God guys, where is your brain ? 

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Needs references x 1

#21 SnowWhite

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hey tatsumaru,

Hows the experiment going?

Are you seeing results?

I just started with Mentat regular dose, and was wondering if i should dose more?

Any suggestions?

Yes, keep taking the recommended dosage. Why the heck would you dose more?? Your body can only take a certain amount, the rest will be peed out. Plus your body will get used to the high dose and it wont respond anymore. Not to mention you can screw your adrenal glands for good and end up in the hospital. Just because its made of herbs doesnt mean its not poisonous. And you are not going to see fast effects with a herbal remedy, it takes months to achieve that! 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#22 SnowWhite

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Local Pharmacy or Himalaya Distributor. I buy 20 bottles and they sell them to me at $1 each.

It's true that you don't really get a definitive answer as to which herb exactly does the job, but that's ok with me. As long as the combination works I don't feel the need to isolate individual herbs and make my life harder.

If it only costs 1$ then its not the real thing, lol. You been taking placebo, thats why you only felt good in the first days looooooool.

• dislike x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#23 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

Hey Snowblanca, maybe you could tell us how you came by such a high opinion of yourself. Conventional herbal strategies are on your side but you don't need to hit people over the head with your opinion. 

Ron

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#24 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

If it only costs 1$ then its not the real thing, lol. You been taking placebo, thats why you only felt good in the first days looooooool.

A couple of times I asked medical counselors of Himalaya company in India, why their Indian pharmacological (like Mentat) and pure herb Ayurvedics products aren't organic grown there, like their equivalent products sold in the west. The answer I invariably got was, that there wouldn't be a market for the a higher price-range in India. For 100-300,- Indian Rupies already many Allopatics are available in India.

It's about 100,- IRs for a non-organic bottle of Himalaya Ayurvedics in India (about $ 1,20), and I think about $ 16,- for the same product as a organic version in the west (without the health-claims allowed in India).

Edited by pamojja, 24 June 2014 - 09:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mentat, nootropics, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users