Transdermal vitamin d

topical vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Is there such a thing? How efficient is it?

Edited by Brainfogged, 11 May 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Why would you want it? The pills work. Use an oil-based formulation in a softgel for best absorption. I've never seen a transdermal D.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Vitamin D analogs, particularly calcipotriol, are often used topically to treat Psoriasis. Typically in combination with topical steroids. Apparently adding a vitamin D analog to a topical steroid increases its effectiveness.

Here's a study that tested the use of cholecalciferol topically. That's the D3 form usually found in D3 softgels dissolved in an oil. The ones I take orally dissolve it in olive oil.

Assessing the relationship between vitamin D3 and stratum corneum hydration for the treatment of xerotic skin

...Subsequently, a 3-week split leg, randomized, vehicle controlled clinical study was conducted on a subset of 61 of the above individuals who were identified with non-sufficient vitamin D serum levels. Topical supplementation with cholecalciferol significantly increased measurements of skin moisturization and resulted in improvements in subjective clinical grading of dry skin. Taken together our finding suggest a relationship between serum vitamin D(3) (25(OH)D) levels and hydration of the stratum corneum and further demonstrate the skin moisture benefit from topical application of vitamin D(3).

Howard

Edited by hav, 12 May 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#4 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Wow, so vitamin d increases the effect of moisturizers. This was some useful information.

I guess I'd be looking for a moisturizer containing a lot of vitamin-D, any suggestions anybody?

Edited by Brainfogged, 12 May 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#5 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

I would imagine that it would work to simply empty some high strength soft gels into whatever moisturizer you like

#6 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I would imagine that it would work to simply empty some high strength soft gels into whatever moisturizer you like

Aren't those usually filled with fishoil? That would be something, ey nupi :laugh: A depressed mofo running around stinking fish! Perhaps I also should start mixing garlic in to my chewing- gum. Women will be flying my direction. :-D

#7 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

D3 softgels are unlikely to contain fishoil... Mine for sure do not. But on the upside, you would be sure they truly love you....

#8 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Why not just go out into the sun at midday bare chested for 20-25 minutes, or until your skin flushes slightly? That'll set off your body rolling its own vitamin D from cholesterol.

Also, looking in the direction of the sun from under closed eyelids generates a red light, which is said to be helpful in attaining the first jhana, if you're a meditator.

#9 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

Why not just go out into the sun at midday bare chested for 20-25 minutes, or until your skin flushes slightly? That'll set off your body rolling its own vitamin D from cholesterol.

Also, looking in the direction of the sun from under closed eyelids generates a red light, which is said to be helpful in attaining the first jhana, if you're a meditator.

My skin is a desert. I can tops shower twice a week and I still itch and crack my skin. The sun just makes it worse, not to mention that I burn easily.

Edited by Brainfogged, 15 May 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#10 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

I see. I'm far from an expert on skin, but extra virgin coconut oil (both external and internal), curcumin (internal) and gotu kola (internal) all have had positive effects on my skin health. Might be worth looking into.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 majkinetor

• 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Why don't u use regular fish liver oil creme ? Both A and D are important for psoriasis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users