• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Aroma of Rosemary essential oils improves memory. 70%?

rosemary essential oil memory

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Aromas of rosemary and lavender essential oils differentially affect cognition and mood in healthy adults.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12690999

It also decreases DNA damage from cigarette smoke"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12690999

So now you know what to put in your bong water! :cool:

Edited by Logic, 06 June 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#2 peakplasma

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Easy-to-find, simple to use with very low cost and limited risk. I love these bang for your buck nootropic ideas.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

Nice find on those articles! I just added some rosemary essential oil to my oxygen concentrator...there's a spot for distilled water and another spot for essential oils (ya know, for humidified air). I'm gonna try this tonight...rosemary + concentrated oxygen + vibration plate. I've been trying to think of ways to enhance breathing/air for years. Thanks so much for this reminder. I got some peppermint essential oil as well that I'll have to try soon.

#4 1thoughtMaze1

• 335 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

where you get the %70?

#5 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

So now you know what to put in your bong water! :cool:

Nice!

#6 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

"rosemary produced a significant enhancement of performance for overall quality of memory and secondary memory factors, but also produced an impairment of speed of memory"

#7 Patrick Sylvester

• 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

both the control and lavender groups were significantly less alert than the rosemary condition; however, the control group was significantly less content than both rosemary and lavender conditions. These findings indicate that the olfactory properties of these essential oils can produce objective effects on cognitive performance, as well as subjective effects on mood.

do we know the delivery method and amount / duration of the study dosage?

does the full study give results for how long the rosemary group encountered the 'impairment of memory speed' after the rosemary was removed? this may be awesome to enhance/restore your memory while you sleep, although i see no mention of the 70%?

#8 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

"rosemary produced a significant enhancement of performance for overall quality of memory and secondary memory factors, but also produced an impairment of speed of memory"

Compared to? Not remembering at all? :)

The 70% comes from here:
http://digitaljourna.../article/347617
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

The 70% comes from here:

Considering they even got the name of the researcher wrong, I would put no stock in that number.

#10 Captainhat

• 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

So, the memory enhancement is tied to 1,8-cineole. Must this compound be absorbed through the nose with a humidifier? Or, can it be consumed? Looking online, I see a lot of Rosemary essential oils are used for cooking. Would it have same effect if it were ingested?

Edited by Captainhat, 08 June 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#11 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Considering they even got the name of the researcher wrong, I would put no stock in that number.

Yep. Note the '?' in the thread heading.

#12 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

The 70% comes from here:

"rosemary produced a significant enhancement of performance for overall quality of memory and secondary memory factors, but also produced an impairment of speed of memory compared to controls."

#13 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

"rosemary produced a significant enhancement of performance for overall quality of memory and secondary memory factors, but also produced an impairment of speed of memory compared to controls."

Yep. So when the controls did remember they remembered faster.
I assume that means sooner as: "Oh-Shit! I gotta Email John!" compared to "Oooooooh........shiiit.........I...." etc. doesn't make sense.
Now how much slower is not remembering at all?
ie: infinity - 7(minutes for argument's sake) = infinity
Hence my 1st statement. :)

#14 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:57 AM

Bump. 

Anyone else use essential oils? If so, what do you use them for and what are your favorites?

I only have experience with one: Lavender. It is seemingly a partial agonist of the serotonin 5HT1a receptor and blocks glutamate, thus providing an uplifting mood with increased focused and relaxation without any sedation whatsoever. I feel the after effects of this oil for at least 24 hours, and its long term effects for me rival those of prescription drugs. I put a drop of oil on my wrist (without diluting it or with a carrier oil), and I'm calm within 5 minutes. There is no drug-like effect or heaviness to it. It has stopped profound aggravation and agitation in me in a matter of minutes. In fact it's been more effective at relaxation without side effects than almost any noot or rx relaxant I've tried. Lately I've been combining it with lemon balm tea (lemon balm oil is $30 for a small bottle, so it's a little too costly to experiment with), and the two have great synergy. 

I'm curious about the following oils. These are all said to be relaxing, which is what I'm looking for. Others provide more stimulating and cognitive enhancing effects. I've also included some of their benefits (quoted from websites):

Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang is well-known as an oil to induce feelings of self-love, confidence, joy and peace. Great for calming fears, promoting relaxation, and even increasing libido. Contains linalool + geranyl acetate
Sandalwood: Known as an antidepressant, aphrodisiac, and sedative, it calms and balances emotions and the nervous system. Contains alpha-santalol 
Tangerine: This oil is actually very calming and sedative to stress, but paradoxically also increases energy.
Bergamot -Bergamot has a refreshing scent that uplifts the spirit and helps with feelings of pain, anxiety, depression, and sadness.
Clary Sage – Clary sage can help with insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
Frankincense – One of the best essential oils to slow down your breathing which helps to reduce feelings of fear, nervous tension, stress, and anxiety.
Geranium – Works as a natural sedative to lift the spirit and release negative emotions. It works great to ease symptoms of depression and stress. Linalool + geranyl acetate
Jasmine – Jasmine has a relaxing flowery scent that is known for its antispasmodic and uplifting properties.
Wild Orange – Just as all the other citrus EOs, orange has a refreshing, energizing, and mood lifting effect. It works great to ease feelings of panic, anger, irritation, and nervousness.
Palmarosa – Palmrosa can help you reduce nervous tension and anxiety.
Roman Chamomile -Works calming and relaxing for body and mind. It is often used to treat depression and stress.

These oils stimulate the secretion of ENKEPHALINS from the THALAMUS to produce a euphoric effect and to lift or enhance the mood: Clary Sage Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Jasmine Oil, Rose Otto.

I personally thought aromatherapy was BS and too subtle to notice a difference. I had no idea there were psychoactive effects that rivaled prescription drugs and noots. I guess this is an eye opener for me. What really opened my eyes was the long term effects of putting an oil on my wrist and letting it absorb through my skin and into the bloodstream. 

Anybody have experience with these? Please share!

Edited by VerdeGo, 19 May 2015 - 04:01 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#15 drlarryvon

• 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15639154

better....

#16 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:01 AM

I think it is interesting to know that neurogenesis occurs in the olfactory bulb. It is also connectied with areas of the brain involved with arrousal and attention, as well as the hippocampus.

#17 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

I wonder why they did the study with Spanish sage essential oil, considering it is quite hard to find and doesn't have a lot of the glowing positive reviews other essential oils have. Purity may be an issue concerning the latter.

I see it contains camphor, cineole, limonene, pamphene and pinene. I wonder which of these provides the uplifting effects, or if it's a combination of all of these? 

I looked up limonene, which is also the main constituent in wild orange essential oil, and I came across a few studies (see below for the other ingredients):

Evaluation of acute toxicity of a natural compound (+)-limonene epoxide and its anxiolytic-like action.
Study Abstract:

The aim of the study is to determine the acute toxicity and anxiolytic-like effects of a mixture of cis and trans of (+)-limonene epoxide in animal models of anxiety. After acute treatment with (+)-limonene epoxide at doses of 25, 50 and 75 mg/kg (i.p.) no mortality was noted during 14 days of observation. In general, behavior, food and water consumption showed no significant changes. In open field test, (+)-limonene epoxide at doses of 25, 50 and 75 mg/kg, after intraperitoneal administration, significantly decreased the number of crossings, grooming and rearing (p<0.001). All these effects were reversed by the pre-treatment with flumazenil (25 mg/kg, i.p.), similar to those observed with diazepam used as a positive standard. In the elevated-plus-maze test, (+)-limonene epoxide increased the time of permanence and the number of entrances in the open arms. All these effects were reversed by flumazenil, an antagonist of benzodiazepine receptors. In addition, (+)-limonene epoxide (75 mg/kg) also produced a significant inhibition of the motor coordination (p<0.01), that was reversed by flumazenil. In conclusion, the present work evidenced sedative and anxiolytic-like effects of (+)-limonene epoxide, which might involve an action on benzodiazepine-type receptors. These results indicate that the properties of (+)-limonene epoxide should be more thoroughly examined in order to achieve newer tools for management and/or treatment of central nervous system diseases and anxiolytic-like effects. The LD50 obtained for the acute toxicity studies using intraperitoneal route of administration was 4.0 g/kg. These findings suggest that acute administration of the (+)-limonene epoxide exerts an anxiolytic-like effect on mice, and it could serve as a new approach for the treatment anxiety, since it practically does not produce toxic effects.

Anxiolytic-like activity and GC-MS analysis of ®-(+)-limonene fragrance, a natural compound found in foods and plants.
Study Abstract:

The traditional use of essential oils in aromatherapy has offered numerous health benefits. However, few scientific studies have been conducted with these oils to confirm their therapeutic efficacy. (+)-Limonene is a chemical constituent of various bioactive essential oils. The present study reports on the anxiolytic-like effects of (+)-limonene in an elevated maze model of anxiety in mice. At concentrations of 0.5% and 1.0%, (+)-limonene, administered to mice by inhalation, significantly modified all the parameters evaluated in the elevated plus maze test. The pharmacological effect of inhaled (+)-limonene (1%) was not blocked by flumazenil. Analysis of (+)-limonene using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) showed its volatility to be high. These data suggest possible connections between the volatility of (+)-limonene and its anxiolytic-like effect on the parameters evaluated in the elevated plus maze test. The data indicate that (+)-limonene could be used in aromatherapy as an antianxiety agent.

I didn't find much on camphor and anxiety/mood.

As for cineole, it appears to be an active constituent in rosemary oil, and is quite effective on cognition and mood:

Abstract
Objective

The mode of influence of the aromas of plant essential oils on human behaviour is largely unclear. This study was designed to assess the potential pharmacological relationships between absorbed 1,8-cineole following exposure to rosemary aroma, cognitive performance and mood.

Methods

Twenty healthy volunteers performed serial subtraction and visual information processing tasks in a cubicle diffused with the aroma of rosemary. Mood assessments were made pre and post testing, and venous blood was sampled at the end of the session. Pearson correlations were carried out between serum levels of 1,8-cineole, cognitive performance measures and change in mood scores.

Results

Here we show for the first time that performance on cognitive tasks is significantly related to concentration of absorbed 1,8-cineole following exposure to rosemary aroma, with improved performance at higher concentrations. Furthermore, these effects were found for speed and accuracy outcomes, indicating that the relationship is not describing a speed–accuracy trade off. The relationships between 1,8-cineole levels and mood were less pronounced, but did reveal a significant negative correlation between change in contentment and plasma 1,8-cineole levels.

Conclusion

These findings suggest that compounds absorbed from rosemary aroma affect cognition and subjective state independently through different neurochemical pathways.

The Effect of 1,8-Cineole Inhalation on Preoperative Anxiety: A Randomized Clinical Trial

Abstract

The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of inhalation of eucalyptus oil and its constituents on anxiety in patients before selective nerve root block (SNRB). This study was a randomized controlled trial carried out in 62 patients before SNRB. The patients were randomized to inhale limonene, 1,8-cineole, or eucalyptus oil, each at concentrations of 1% vol/vol in almond oil or almond oil (control). Anxiety-visual analog scale (A-VAS), state-trait anxiety inventory (STAI), profile of mood states (POMS), pain-visual analog scale (P-VAS), blood pressure, and pulse rate were measured before and after inhalation prior to SNRB. Measures of anxiety, including A-VAS (), STAI (), and POMS (), were significantly lower in 1,8-cineole than in the control group and significantly greater in 1,8-cineole than in the eucalyptus group in A-VAS. P-VAS was significantly lower after than before inhalation of limonene, 1,8-cineole, and eucalyptus, despite having no significant difference in the four groups compared with control group. 1,8-Cineole, a major constituent of eucalyptus, was effective in decreasing anxiety before SNRB. The present findings suggest that inhalation of 1,8-cineole may be used to relieve anxiety before, during, and after various operations, in addition to SNRB.

Didn't find much on pamphene, but I did find some interesting stuff related to pinene:

Daily Inhalation of α-Pinene in Mice: Effects on Behavior and Organ Accumulation

In phytotherapy, essential oils tend to be used daily for a period of days or weeks, rather than in a single application. However, the literature contains very little information on repeated use of essential oils. In this study, we investigated the effects on behavior and the accumulation in the brain and liver of α-pinene, an essential oil component, when inhaled by mice. Animals were individually housed in cages for 1 week. Mice inhaled α-pinene or water vapor (negative control) for 90 min/day for 1 day, 3 days, or 5 days, and they were then submitted to the elevated plus maze test for 10 min. We used gas chromatography with flame ionization detection to quantify concentrations of α-pinene in the brain and liver. There was significant anxiolytic-like activity, which remained constant for the 5 days' inhalation of α-pinene. On the other hand, the accumulation of α-pinene in the brain and liver peaked on the third day of inhalation. The existence of stress related to the new environment appears to have affected the change in the accumulation of α-pinene in the internal organs, keeping the anxiolytic-like action constant. 

Expression of BDNF and TH mRNA in the Brain Following Inhaled Administration of α-Pinene

Essential oils are mainly administered by inhalation. Administration by inhalation is considered to occur through two pathways, neurological transfer and pharmacological transfer. However, the relationship between the two routes is not clear. To clarify this relationship, we administered α-pinene, which has an anxiolytic-like effect, to mice. Emotional behavior and accumulation and expression of relevant mRNAs in the brain (brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF); tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)) were examined following inhaled administration of α-pinene (10 μL/L air for 60 or 90 min). To evaluate the anxiolytic-like effect, the elevated plus maze (EPM) test was used. Inhalation of α-pinene for 60 min produced a significant increase in the total distance traveled in the EPM test compared with control (water). The concentration of α-pinene in the brain after 60 min of inhalation was significantly increased compared with that after 90 min of inhalation. The expression of BDNF mRNA in the olfactory bulb and in the hippocampus was almost the same after 60 min of inhalation compared to that after 90 min of inhalation. The expression of TH mRNA in the midbrain after 60 min of inhalation was significantly increased compared with that of the control. Thus, an increase in α-pinene in the brain induces an increase in TH mRNA expression and increases locomotor activity. The anxiolytic-like effect may be related to both neurological transfer and pharmacological transfer. 

So it appears that cineole, limonene, and pinene appear to be very promising along with possibly being antioxidants, though they can probably be found in combination in other essential oils. 

Does anyone know how these affect serotonin receptors or dopamine receptors compared to linalool (found in lavender)?

From a previous post on another forum, I came across the following:

Valerian root oil affects GABA

Lemon oil affects serotonin 5ht1a

Rose oil affects dopamine

Rosemary oil affects norepinephrine

Oregano oil affects dopamine

Peppermint oil affects dopamine

Helichryshum oil affects dopamine

Out of curiosity, I pulled up info on carvacrol (found in oregano oil), and came up with this:

Antidepressant-like effect of carvacrol (5-Isopropyl-2-methylphenol) in mice: involvement of dopaminergic system.
Abstract

Carvacrol (5-isopropyl-2-methylphenol) is a monoterpenic phenol present in the essential oil of many plants. It is the major component of the essential oil fraction of oregano and thyme. In this study, the effect of carvacrol was investigated in two behavioral models, the forced swimming and tail suspension tests in mice, to investigate the possible antidepressant effect of this substance. Additionally, the mechanisms involved in the antidepressant-like effect of carvacrol in mice were also assessed. Carvacrol (cvc) was administered orally at single doses of 12.5, 25 and 50 mg/kg. The acute treatment of cvc decreased the immobility time in the forced swimming and tail suspension tests without accompanying changes in ambulation in the open-field test. The anti-immobility effect of carvacrol (25 mg/kg) was not prevented by pretreatment of mice with p-chlorophenylalanine, prazosin and yohimbine. On the other hand, the pretreatment of mice with SCH23390 or sulpiride completely blocked the antidepressant-like effect of carvacrol (25 mg/kg) in the forced swimming test. These results show that carvacrol presents antidepressant effects in the forced swimming and tail suspension tests; this effect seems to be dependent on its interaction with the dopaminergic system, but not with the serotonergic and noradrenergic systems.

I also found this post on another forum regarding oregano oil and obvious effects on dopamine:

I've been experimenting with low doses of oregano oil and I feel like it has helped my SA. I don't feel stimulated at all but I have been extremely motivated to get up and do stuff for the last couple of days. I usually sit around vegetation on my computer. I went to the gymicon1.png and talked to people. I didn't feel the normal hesitation and paranoia I usually do. I also called up friends just to say hello. That's something I don't normally do, either. Took my dog for walk, cooked, you get the picture. Unlike other substances I've used before, I don't actually "feel it" working, I just act more normal and balanced in a social environment. It could be a placebo effect but I wasn't using it for my SA so this was a little unexpected. Anyways, it turns out that one of the essential oil in Oregano called carvacrol, actually has a dopaminergic effect. It's also interesting that I experience an improvement at significantly lower doses than that used in the study.

Any other experiences to share with essential oils?

• Informative x 2

#18 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:16 AM

Bump. 

Did you buy any particular brand? I have some of this oil at home for my candles, maybe that will do?

#19 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

The brand of lavender oil I have is Healing Solutions. I also heard DoTerra Tools is a great company, though I have no experience yet with their oils. I plan on going to the Vitamin Shoppe soon, which uses Aura Acacia (or something similar in name), and I will let you know if it's up to par. 

Which particular oil do you have? I'd only use something with "essential oil" on the label, as opposed to "fragranced oil", which typically denotes a synthetic scent. You'll also want to look for something that is therapeutic grade, so I'd caution you against using any non-essential oil or fragranced oil topically or internally, and use caution using all essential oils internally. Some oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil so they don't cause a skin reaction when applied to the skin. 

• Informative x 1

#20 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:48 AM

Here is some more information I gleamed from the following thread. It is well informed and helps to break down neurotransmitter effects for each oil, and which oil you should use. For instance, if your dopamine is high and your serotonin is low, then something like rose oil will probably cause aggravation. Testing these oils may help you better understand which neurotransmitters you're low and high in: https://drugs-forum....d.php?t=256625 

Valerian Root Oil 
+ GABA
- Dopamine
- Norepinephrine

Valerian is an extremely powerful oil for anxiety and stress. One single drop on the skin brings noticeable effects of relaxation within 30 minutes. It is the most powerful oil I have used when it comes to wanting to shift my stream of consciousness completely to a different track. That is always accomplished with this oil, similarly to getting high. When used while awake, it makes life seem much more manageable during its peak effects, and gives excellent control over impulses. However, it is short lived. Valerenic acid, the constituent said to be responsible for the increased GABA levels (or decreased GABA breakdown?), has a half life of only about one hour. There is a rebound effect with this oil where GABA levels are lower than they were at baseline, after the effects wear off. This effect can make smoking cannabis more pleasurable, since THC gives its pleasurable effects by inhibiting GABA. This oil makes it INCREDIBLY easy to fall asleep, but one will usually wake up about 3 hours after dosing. This makes it great for power-napping when you're not really tired, because you wake up fully alert, not sluggish, due to the GABA rebound.

---------------------------------

Lavender Oil
+ Serotonin (1A)
- Dopamine
- Norepinephrine

Lavender is subtly to very noticeably anxiolytic, depending on the dosage. One drop of high-grade lavender on the skin once per 3 hours makes for a very anxiety-free day. A drop or two on the skin before bed will put one to sleep faster, and since there is no noticeable rebound, it does not disturb the sleep cycle.

Lemon Oil
+ Serotonin (1A)
- Dopamine
- Norepinephrine

Excellent for suppressing symptoms of psychosis, schizophrenia, anger/rage, paranoia, and low-serotonin depression. (There are typically two forms of depression - low serotonin, and low dopamine. This oil would not be good for low dopamine depression.) Aids in going to sleep and staying asleep. When used during waking hours, it can provide an acid-like feeling of connectivity to the world around you, along with a visual "shine".

Rose Oil
+ Dopamine
- Serotonin

Depending on your balance, this oil can either bring out bliss and optimism, or rage and irritability. If your serotonin is already low and your dopamine is already high - not recommended. This is more an oil for those who are in dopamine withdrawals, like heroin, cannabis, nicotine. Especially helpful in alleviating cannabis-withdrawal related depression. This oil is extremely powerful/potent. Rose oil is typically already diluted to 3%, and one drop of 3% rose oil gives equally or more pronounced effects than a full drop of any other oil.

Rosemary Oil
+ Norepinephrine

Similar effect to caffeine IMO. Mental energy supplies perk up within 5-15 minutes of dosing on the skin.

Oregano Oil
+ Dopamine

Noticeable energy and clarity increase. May or may not alleviate cravings for addictive substances.

--

"Frankincense appears to affect both serotonin and dopamine, but dopamine more so."

• Informative x 2

#21 chrisp2

• 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread...

I'm toying with the idea of rosemary aromatherapy for (potential) neurogenesis benefit...

I can't find a lot of conclusive evidence out there about aromatherapy in general, and wanted to re-visit this discussion to see if anyone here has grown their knowledge on the subject since it last was brought up.

#22 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

I love essential oils, but in my humble opinion the effects listed above border on hyperbole. But... Lemon oil certainly does pick me up when I'm down, and Orange oil reminds me of happy times of carefree. Both these oils are kinda liquid sunshine for me -- but psychedelic effects? No way, man. I haven't tried Rosemary oil yet, nor valerian, which I may dig around for soon. Lavender seems to be a staple among the people I hang around, and patchouli, of course. Overall, essential two thumbs up! Lemon grass is really great, too. And rose oil of course. All of them = good vibes. Especially frankincense!

#23 chrisp2

• 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I'm thinking of bringing a diffuser to work - since I'm there 8-9 hours a day, but don't want to be the "strange guy that's into aromatherapy"...  If I could point to the cognitive benefits people would think its pretty cool maybe.

#24 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Hi,

Having seen this topic, I just had to register as I have some relevant data to contribute on the subject of essential oils, that would save you guys some research time!

On another forum, a plethora of research was done on all manor of essential oils. The constituents, psychoactive properties as well as medicinal benefits were detailed.

I took part in this general "research" the most notable essential oil i encountered was lemon - Encapsulated, at doses starting from ~10 drops it becomes psychoactive with psychedelic effects becoming becoming apparent too.

From that forum - "Limonene is usually one of the highest concentrations of terpenes in cannabis. a-pinene or b-pinene are usually further down the list."

Rosemary contains some terpenes also present in some varieties of cannabis. The terpenes have the ability to seemingly modulate the effect of the Cannaninoid ligands present in cannabis. Mycrene from 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil is significantly sedating on its own.

Here is an entry on rosemary from that forum -

"Since rosemary has light amounts of thujone and moderate amounts of camphor two mild psychedelics and stimulants I tried rubbing 7 drops of the Essential Oil into my leg with some light lotion.

About one hour later I feel weird… I feel very relaxed but pumped at the same timegrin!!! Colors are brighter and every thing looks clearer and very real like the complete opposite of a dissociative high"

I have experimented with a variety of therapeutic grade essential oils, both encapsulated and transdermally.

Another novel discovery from that forum - Cinnamon essential oil contains cinnamonaldehyde, which is able to form abducts with alkaloids, at room temperature. It does this by binding to the Nitrogen. The new resulting substance combines the properties of cinnamonaldehyde (Adrenaline release) with those of the root molecule.

#25 chrisp2

• 166 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

Can you share more about your personal experience?

Are you currently using any aromatherapy of lemon essential oil, for instance?

#26 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

can we use essnetial oils as e-juice for electronic cigarates? i already tried hemp oil and it works but it seems to be specifically designed for smoking it in e-cig. do you guys think its possible to just use essential oils for e-cigs?

#27 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

can we use essnetial oils as e-juice for electronic cigarates? i already tried hemp oil and it works but it seems to be specifically designed for smoking it in e-cig. do you guys think its possible to just use essential oils for e-cigs?

Aside from carrier oils, most essential oils are able to be smoked and vaporized and provide varying significant effects based on the chemical constitution of the oil.

Edited by sativa, 08 July 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#28 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Can you share more about your personal experience?

Are you currently using any aromatherapy of lemon essential oil, for instance?

I use essential oils daily, mainly transdermaly (rubbed on skin) with the intent of reducing muscle pain, medicinally (ie spots, heal tissue etc) and general relaxation. A few drops on ones temples/forehead (and other particular areas such as back of neck, wrists) induces significant psychoactive effects. Sandalwood is immensely "centering, grounding and calming".

Regarding achieving noticeable psychoactive effects from oils, don't take my word for it! Try it for yourself! I get my oils for quite cheap (£1-3 per 10ml bottle) from a popular internet biding site.

I use them also for their odour properties and the psychoactive changes that occur in me as a result of these.

I also sometimes encapsulate and ingest certain oils for psychoactive purposes.

Finally, I use them in my cooking. One drop of lemongrass oil for a Thai style dish, steamed butternut squash stir fried in butter with a drop of orange oil, a drop of Rosemary and lemon oil for a beautiful summer style dish etc etc

I mainly use the following oils: tea tree, lavender, cedarwood, Peppermint, Mandarin, tangerine, clove, black pepper, lemongrass, lemon, lime, orange, rosemary, eucalyptus, ginger, frankincense, myrhh, ylang ylang, geranium, grapefruit, juniper, cumin, Cinnamon, pine, lemon Myrtle, sandalwood.

Citral (a major constituent of lemon Myrtle oil) is an agonist at 5-HT2A.
Lemon oil contains a 5-HT1A agonist and antagonizes 5-HT3 which contributes to it's strong antidepressant action. Gamma-terpene is a psychoactive constituent with possible 5-HT activity.
Linalool from lavender is a GABA (A I think) agonist and also possible activity at D2.
Peppermint contains a kappa opioid agonist (menthol I think).
Pine oil contains a 5-HT1A agonist (most likely pinene which is also present in lemon oil) and antagonizes 5-HT3 (the "sickness" receptor); Also it contains an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
Tea Tree has activity at the D1 receptor.
Cumin oil positively influences and synergizes with the visual aspect of a psychoactive experience.
Cinnamon oil contains cinnamonaldehyde which resembles amphetamine. It is a adrenaline releasing stimulant.
Clove oil contains b-caryophyllene which selectively binds to the CB2 receptor.
Myrrh oil has opioid like painkilling properties.

Here are some terpenes in no particular order and their properties:

Limonene:
A monoterpene, is actually a precursor to the synthesis of other cannabinoids. Has been proven to have antidepressant and immune stimulator properties in humans.
Supposedly synergizes with other terpenes to help absorption by penetrating cell membranes

Caryophyllene:
A sesquiterpene, has anti-inflammatory and anti-malarial properties. Has been isolated from a number of plants and spices including black pepper, oregano and cinnamon.

Pinene:
A monoterpene. Easily crosses the BBB where it acts as a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
-Is a bronchodilator & anti-inflammatory

Myrcene:
- Found in high levels in Hops and Lemongrass EO
-A potent analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-biotic
-Believed to affect cell membrane permeability, thus allowing more THC to reach the brain
- One of the major constituents of the essential oil of cannabis (did represent up to 60% of the cannabis flower essential oil in some varieties tested). It has been proven to have analgesic, sedative and muscle relaxant effects.

Terpineol:
-Supposedly the terpene responsible for the famous "couch-lock" when high

Delta-3-Carene:
-Supposedly responsible for the infamous "cotton-mouth" and "devil-eyes"
-Found in pine and cedar resin

Linalool:
-Inhalation produces heavy sedation

And to finish:

"Humans injest several ml of essential oils everyday. Most of what we eat is 1% essential oils. If you eat 100 grams of salad, you ate about 1 ml of essential oils. They are not as dangerous as they've been made to look in the media. We eat essential oils all the time. They are in vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc. They are a normal part of the human diet." (Quote from an essential oil 'enthusiast')

Edited by sativa, 08 July 2015 - 01:43 PM.

• like x 2

#29 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Do you have a source on that info?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

Do you have a source on that info?
Sure! I became aware of this on another forum I occasionally visit.

"The anti-nociceptive action of citral was found to involve significant activation of the 5-HT2A serotonin receptor.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24792822

Citral is found in a lot of essential oils
Lemon Myrtle (90-98%)
Lemon Grass (65-85%)
Petitgrain (36%)
Lemon Verbena (30-35%)
Lemon Balm (11%)
Lime (6-9%)
Lemon (2-5%)
And more..."

Regarding 5-HT2A -

It appears that 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor agonists help regulate / increase natural brain-derived neurotrophic factors:

"...The results of this study raise the possibility that regulation of BDNF expression by hallucinogenic 5-HT2A receptor agonists..."

BDNF also boosts expression of the D3 receptor:

"Pierre Sokoloff of the Unité de Neurobiologie et Pharmacologie Moleculaire, Paris, France, and colleagues now report (Nature, Vol. 411, No. 6833, 03 May 2001) that BDNF also boosts the expression of a molecule, the D3 receptor"

Also interesting is that 5-HT2A activation leads to increased endocannabinoid release:

"These findings establish a link between serotonin signaling and endocannabinoid signaling. Based on the extensive distribution of 5-HT2Rs and CB1Rs, it seems likely that this mechanism could mediate many of the actions of 5-HT2Rs throughout the brain."

You'll have to Google the research papers as I'm unable to post links!

Edited by sativa, 08 July 2015 - 08:42 PM.

• Cheerful x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rosemary essential oil, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users