• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Aroma of Rosemary essential oils improves memory. 70%?

rosemary essential oil memory

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

can we use essnetial oils as e-juice for electronic cigarates? i already tried hemp oil and it works but it seems to be specifically designed for smoking it in e-cig. do you guys think its possible to just use essential oils for e-cigs?

Aside from carrier oils, most essential oils are able to be smoked and vaporized and provide varying significant effects based on the chemical constitution of the oil.

so you can confirming its safe to put some essential oil into my e-cig and smoke it? i hope it doesnt poison me since they are highly concentrated constituents from the plant in the oils and maybe even cause combustion? overall i just seem too restless not to try it regardless. it seems its the only way to get their effect immediately and noticably  versus just smelling them or rubbing on skin imagining placebo.

#32 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

can we use essnetial oils as e-juice for electronic cigarates? i already tried hemp oil and it works but it seems to be specifically designed for smoking it in e-cig. do you guys think its possible to just use essential oils for e-cigs?

Aside from carrier oils, most essential oils are able to be smoked and vaporized and provide varying significant effects based on the chemical constitution of the oil.

so you can confirming its safe to put some essential oil into my e-cig and smoke it? i hope it doesnt poison me since they are highly concentrated constituents from the plant in the oils and maybe even cause combustion? overall i just seem too restless not to try it regardless. it seems its the only way to get their effect immediately and noticably versus just smelling them or rubbing on skin imagining placebo.

Yes, I should think so - the constitients of these oils are found naturally in cannabis amongst other plants.

I can get effects pretty quickly from oils by applying them to specific areas on my body, which I can confirm is NOT a placebo.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

Limonene is shown to be a Adenosine A(2A) Agonist:

- "Limonene also increased cytosolic calcium concentration, which can be achieved by the activation of adenosine A(2A) receptors. These findings suggest that limonene can act as a ligand and an agonist for adenosine A(2A) receptors."

Also Limonene activates ERK1/2:

- "Limonene increased ERK1/2 activation by 30%"

This can be useful because ERK1/2 was shown to be involved in Upregulating 5-HT2A:

- "Our cultured cell studies suggest that selective CB2 receptor agonists upregulate 5-HT2A receptor signaling by activation of the ERK1/2 signaling pathway"

#34 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

D-Limonene is "generally regarded as safe" and is sold as a supplement as 1000mg caps (which is about 1ml so 25-30 drops). I have taken it for a while with no side effects. I found it to be quite sedating.
Peppermint oil is not safe and is actually toxic in large amounts, it is easily absorbed through the skin apparently.
Clove oil is unsafe/toxic, at least in large doses.
Lavender oil appears to be safe at regular doses of 80mg internally (but it is estrogenic and anti androgenic). The linalool is easily absorbed through the skin.

This is based on a quick pubmed check.
Any other findings on safety?

#35 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

D-Limonene is "generally regarded as safe" and is sold as a supplement as 1000mg caps (which is about 1ml so 25-30 drops). I have taken it for a while with no side effects. I found it to be quite sedating.
Peppermint oil is not safe and is actually toxic in large amounts, it is easily absorbed through the skin apparently.
Clove oil is unsafe/toxic, at least in large doses.
Lavender oil appears to be safe at regular doses of 80mg internally (but it is estrogenic and anti androgenic). The linalool is easily absorbed through the skin.

This is based on a quick pubmed check.
Any other findings on safety?

All of the therapeutic grade essential oils can be taken orally. Some, like calamus root can produce toxic effects at 4+ drops - it all depends on the individuals body chemistry and tolerance. Also, the strength of ones stomach and digestive tract will also influence how well one handle's the oil.

I have taken most of the essential oils orally. I usually dilute them with some food or olive oil to mitigate any potential problems.

I personally don't need a research article to tell me what oils are supposedly safe and not safe to ingest, I just use common sense and a large dose of over cautiousness.

"Humans injest several ml of essential oils everyday. Most of what we eat is 1% essential oils. If you eat 100 grams of salad, you ate about 1 ml of essential oils. They are not as dangerous as they've been made to look in the media. We eat essential oils all the time. They are in vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc. They are a normal part of the human diet."

By the way, pure linonene is significantly different to whole lemon essential oil. The gamma-terpinene and pinene components, amongst others, are psychoactive.

Edited by sativa, 14 July 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#36 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

I recently bought some rosemary oil and lavender oil, to see if inhaling them would have an effect on me. I had read that rosemary oil is good for cognition and lavender oil good for relaxation and promoting sleep. To start with, the results were not promising: they had no effect on me. This did not surprise me, because my cognition is OK already, and I never can find anything to help me get to sleep more easily.

However, one afternoon I felt drowsy, which was stopping me focusing on my work. I took four sniffs of my rosemary bottle, and to my surprise, the fogginess went away almost immediately. I thought no more of it, but yesterday afternoon, I felt a similar fogginess--probably from eating too much for Sunday lunch--and sniffing rosemary put me right again immediately. The alternative would have been a nap, and I try to avoid napping.

I will need to test the effect more times to be sure, but it looks as if I have at hand something that works like smelling salts. This is very valuable, as I often have a lot of work to do and the worst thing possible for that is to come over drowsy. Normally I have to take strong coffee, sometimes more than one, to recover--which takes much longer to work than the rosemary and can worsen my sleep that night.

I cannot say that after sniffing the rosemary oil my cognition is any better than normal. It just restores normal mental clarity. But my cognition is certainly better than when feeling drowsy beforehand. Quite a discovery! I shall keep this little bottle alongside me at all times now.

Not had any effect from the lavender oil.

#37 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

I recently bought some rosemary oil and lavender oil, to see if inhaling them would have an effect on me. I had read that rosemary oil is good for cognition and lavender oil good for relaxation and promoting sleep. To start with, the results were not promising: they had no effect on me. This did not surprise me, because my cognition is OK already, and I never can find anything to help me get to sleep more easily.

However, one afternoon I felt drowsy, which was stopping me focusing on my work. I took four sniffs of my rosemary bottle, and to my surprise, the fogginess went away almost immediately. I thought no more of it, but yesterday afternoon, I felt a similar fogginess--probably from eating too much for Sunday lunch--and sniffing rosemary put me right again immediately. The alternative would have been a nap, and I try to avoid napping.

I will need to test the effect more times to be sure, but it looks as if I have at hand something that works like smelling salts. This is very valuable, as I often have a lot of work to do and the worst thing possible for that is to come over drowsy. Normally I have to take strong coffee, sometimes more than one, to recover--which takes much longer to work than the rosemary and can worsen my sleep that night.

I cannot say that after sniffing the rosemary oil my cognition is any better than normal. It just restores normal mental clarity. But my cognition is certainly better than when feeling drowsy beforehand. Quite a discovery! I shall keep this little bottle alongside me at all times now.

Not had any effect from the lavender oil.

Not surprising considering the pharmacology of rosemary.

Re the lavander, try applying a drop each to your temples, forehead, throat and the back of your neck (after having washed these areas with warm water)

Lavander oil is very safe with regards to direct skin application.

Let us know if anything happens!

Edited by sativa, 31 August 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#38 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

Not surprising considering the pharmacology of rosemary.

I am delighted, though, because I try so many things that sound good on paper and there is usually no result.

#39 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

Continuing to experiment with rosemary. Yesterday, I shook the bottle before sniffing it, and then I did four deep sniffs, this time moving the bottle around as I did so--it felt as if more of the vapour was going in. I had not been brain foggy, but it was 6 PM and I needed to go on working. Although I did not feel any bracing effect from the inhalation, a short time later I found my handwriting speeding up and I worked very fast for about an hour. So this was the first time rosemary has seemed to affect me when I was not drowsy.

Two things felt as if they were happening. Firstly, although I was  writing faster and a bit less neatly, I fell in to my full cursive style, very fluently--which I am often too lazy to do. Secondly, I was holding the words and phrases I was working with longer in my head than usual, so that I did not have to look up so often at my source material. In other words, my immediate-use short-term memory improved a few iotas.

But it was strange, because I felt no mental stimulation, no invigoration. It was just that I could work well (not necessarily more efficiently, as I had a slight sense of rushing).

There is a very good chance I have imagined this effect. But I will continue to experiment and see if it is repeatable.

Sniffing rosemary is not unpleasant. It is a bit like sniffing a Vick's Vapor Stick, presumably because of the camphor.

#40 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Continuing to experiment with rosemary. Yesterday, I shook the bottle before sniffing it, and then I did four deep sniffs, this time moving the bottle around as I did so--it felt as if more of the vapour was going in.

But it was strange, because I felt no mental stimulation, no invigoration. It was just that I could work well (not necessarily more efficiently, as I had a slight sense of rushing).

There is a very good chance I have imagined this effect. But I will continue to experiment and see if it is repeatable.

Moss and Oliver exposed 20 subjects to varying levels of rosemary oil vapor, and assessed speed and accuracy tests in mathematical tasks, and mood assessments. Intriguingly, the results indicate that the concentration of 1,8-cineole in the blood is related to an individual’s cognitive performance – with higher concentrations resulting in improved performance. The researchers stress that both speed and accuracy were improved, suggesting that the relationship is not describing a speed-accuracy trade-off. They carefully designed their study to eliminate any effect of expectation, or of the perceived aroma.

#41 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:04 AM

I have noticed that my handwriting varies from day to day. Sometimes it skips fluently across the page and looks slick and well-formed, and then it is a pleasure to write. But often, despite having a good hand, I find it hard to form words attractively, the handwriting looks ugly, and I keep allowing breaks in the cursive, as if momentarily reverting to childhood print. So I wonder, given that it is difficult to judge the cognitive effects of herbs, nootropics, etc., if handwriting is a good marker for cognitive effect. It is after all quite a complex business. (I have read that fewer brain cells are involved in typing than in handwriting.)

Rosemary made me speed up my handwriting, yet all the cursive links and manoeuvres were somehow enhanced.

Edited by Gerrans, 02 September 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#42 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Moss and Oliver exposed 20 subjects to varying levels of rosemary oil vapor, and assessed speed and accuracy tests in mathematical tasks, and mood assessments. Intriguingly, the results indicate that the concentration of 1,8-cineole in the blood is related to an individual’s cognitive performance – with higher concentrations resulting in improved performance. The researchers stress that both speed and accuracy were improved, suggesting that the relationship is not describing a speed-accuracy trade-off. They carefully designed their study to eliminate any effect of expectation, or of the perceived aroma.

I had read a Moss & Oliver study on rosemary and lavender, which was what made me have a go (plus being a big fan of rosemary in food). From what I have read, my guess at the moment is that it is the camphor which gives the reviving effect and the 1,8-cineole which stimulates cognition.

Edited by Gerrans, 02 September 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#43 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

...From what I have read, my guess at the moment is that it is the camphor which gives the reviving effect and the 1,8-cineole which stimulates cognition.

Indeed, naturally!

I highly recommend lemon essential oil. Just by smelling alone it enhances cognition and sensory processing. If you choose to encapsulate it and take some orally, ready yourself for some spectacular nootropic and psychoactive effects. It is an excellent natural mood lifter too.

#44 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

I recommend CO2 total extracts, they are the most potent substances ever known in the nature. 

Rosemary

Nigella Sativa

Turmeric

Ginger

Clove

Get this ones, and enjoy amazing anti EVERYTHING effects.

#45 Omega 3 Snake Oil

• 257 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

So, the memory enhancement is tied to 1,8-cineole. Must this compound be absorbed through the nose with a humidifier? Or, can it be consumed? Looking online, I see a lot of Rosemary essential oils are used for cooking. Would it have same effect if it were ingested?

http://herb.co/2017/04/03/cineole/

It’s no wonder that so many cannabis consumers are confused by the chemicals in their herb. With more than 111 cannabinoids and 200 terpenes possible in a particular strain of cannabis, the medical science of the plant can be perplexing. Fear not. Cineole (also sometimes called eucalyptol), a cerebrally stimulating terpene that conveys the aroma of fresh eucalyptus and mint.

Terpenes are most noted for the infamous aroma they lend to cannabis. However, their true evolutionary purpose is as a defense mechanism against insects and animals. Such predators find the smell and taste of terpenes to be repulsive, saving the precious flowers of this herb from peril (and allowing them to reproduce).

In addition to its presence in some strains of cannabis, the terpene cineole is also found in rosemary and eucalyptus. Historically, this terpene has been used as a topical and applied to the skin and gums.

Because of its ability to improve memory, many researchers are optimistic that cineole may be part of an effective treatment – or even a cure – for Alzheimer’s disease.

When applied topically, cineole has been shown to increase circulation and reduce pain and swelling (it is a powerful anti-inflammatory). This is of obvious value to seniors and those who suffer from diseases like arthritis.

Researchers also believe that this special terpene helps cannabinoids (which themselves have significant medical efficacy) cross the blood/brain barrier, making them more readily available and increasing their potency.

In addition, cineole has been found to be an antioxidant and anti-bacterial agent. If that wasn’t enough, it has also been shown to effectively treat colon cancer.

Like other terpenes, cineole is a jack of many trades and effective in treating a wide range of diseases and conditions involving cognitive learning, memory, inflammation, and bacterial infections. Cineole has also been found to help patients suffering leukemia.

When present in significant enough quantities in a particular strain of cannabis, cineole can uplift users and increase mental and physical energy. Along with myrcene, the levels of cineole may be responsible for whether a strain of pot is considered indica or sativa.

According to the Natural Health Research Institute, cineole has been proven to improve memory and cognitive learning. The Institute conducted research that revealed,

[the] rosemary aroma from the essential oil improved cognitive learning and decreased the amount of time to answer questions correctly.

A positive correlation was observed between the number of correct answers in cognitive learning measures and the levels of cineole in the blood.

2014 study published in the German journal Drug Research found cineole to be a treatment for asthma and other conditions based on inflammation. The study cited the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of the terpene and its potential use in therapeutic treatments for other diseases based on inflammation.

Based on the antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties, recent clinical trials with cineole have shown first evidence for the beneficial use of cineole as long-term therapy…to improve asthma control.

2009 study published in the journal Respiratory Research found cineole to be effective in treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The terpene was found to,

…reduce the exacerbation rate and show benefits on pulmonary function tests, as well as quality of life in patients with COPD.

• Informative x 1

#46 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:29 AM

shame, really.  lavender is by far the cheaper and more common variety.  i used to spray a lot of it around my desk and bed, guess that explains a lot now doesnt it

the one thing that really caught my eye in this study was that the rosemary "also produced an impairment of speed of memory".. kind of how like nicotine makes you a bit stoned.  there was even another study in which an nAChR antagonist completely abrogated the neural effects of the volatile rosmarinic terpenoids  the mood effects were largely reported as positive, but i suspect on a larger scale (given the potently cholinergic nature of rosemary and the link between depression and excess choline activity) the individual response may vary

#47 Ruth

• 114 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

"Carvacrol. Carvacrol is a monoterpenic phenol isolated from aromatic herbs including oregano
and thyme … showed that carvacrol administration (12.5 mg/kg, by mouth [PO] for 7 days) can raise
5-HT and dopamine ranges in the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex"

http://www.longecity...il-coconut-oil/ "
The antimicrobial properties of volatile aromatic oils and medium-chain fatty acids derived from edible plants have been recognized since antiquity. To give examples, Origanum oil, used as a food-flavoring agent, possesses a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity due, at least in part, to its high content of phenolic derivatives such as carvacrol and thymol. Similarly, lauric acid, present in heavy concentrations in coconuts, forms monolaurin in the body that can inhibit the growth of pathogenic microbes. Using Staphylococcus aureus in broth cultures and a microdilution method, comparative efficacy of Origanum oil, and a constituent carvacrol, other essential oils and monolaurin were examined. Origanum oil was the most potent of the essential oils tested and proved bactericidal in culture to two strains of Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC #14154 and #14775) at 0.25 mg/mL. In vitro, monolaurin's effects mirrored Origanum oil. The combination of both was bactericidal at the 0.125 mg/mL concentration of each. In two separate In vivo experiments, injected Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC #14775) killed all 14 untreated mice within a 1-week period. In treated mice, over one third survived for 30 days when given oral Origanum oil daily for 30 days (6/14). Fifty percent of the mice survived for 30 days when receiving daily vancomycin (7/14) and monolaurin (4/8). Over 60% of mice survived when receiving a daily combination of Origanum oil and monolaurin (5/8). Origanum oil and/or monolaurin may prove to be useful antimicrobial agents for prevention and therapy of Staphylococcus aureus infections."
"
"Luteolin is a flavone compound found in various foods, including celery, parsley, peppermint,
thyme, and oregano (Lopez-Lazaro, 2009) … Pretreatment with luteolin (3.13–50 μM) can reduce
6-hydroxy-dopamine-derived toxicity in a dose-dependent manner in rat"

https://www.scienced...531556517302140

"luteolin and apigenin "enhancing monoamine uptake" "monoamine transporter activators"

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/198...

apigenin is an inhibitor of liver enzyme CYP2C9 so the list in the link below needs to be consulted if you're taking medication. It will amplify the effect of any drugs listed in the "substrate" column by not letting them be broken down. Most notably NSAIDs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2C9

"In conclusion, apigenin and luteolin protected the dopaminergic neurons probably by reducing oxidative damage, neuroinflammation and microglial activation along with enhanced neurotrophic potential. The above results propose both these flavonoids as promising molecules in the therapeutics of PD.
https://healthunlock...ith-pine-pollen

Age-related motor deficits, such as loss of balance and coordination, are caused, in part, by loss of dopaminergic neurons. Oxidative stress is known to play a role in this neuronal loss. Resveratrol, a natural antioxidant with anticancer and anti-inflammatory potential, has been shown to protect dopaminergic-like cells (SH-SY5Y) against oxidative stress. However, the low bioavailability of resveratrol makes it worthwhile to explore newer compounds with similar properties. Piceid (RV8), an analog of resveratrol, has greater bioavailability than resveratrol, and our studies found that piceid (10, 20, 30 µM) protects SH-SY5Y cells against oxidative stress. Our investigations also found that the neuroprotection afforded by piceid was decreased when the MAP kinases, ERK1/2 and ERK5, were independently inhibited. Since oxidative stress is considered a master operator of apoptosis, our study also scrutinized dopamine-induced apoptosis and whether caspase-3/7 and Bcl-2 are involved, following piceid pretreatment followed by dopamine exposure. Our findings suggested that piceid pretreatment inhibited the dopamine-induced increase in caspase-3/7 activity and dopamine-induced loss of Bcl-2 expression. Overall, these findings suggest that the neuroprotective effects of piceid are mediated via the activation of ERK1/2, ERK5, and inhibition of apoptosis caused by oxidative stress.
https://link.springe...0204-017-2073-z

https://www.readbyqx...ns-of-carvacrol Carvacrol is a monoterpenic phenol produced by an abundant number of aromatic plants, including thyme and oregano. Presently, carvacrol is used in low concentrations as a food flavoring ingredient and preservative, as well as a fragrance ingredient in cosmetic formulations. In recent years, considerable research has been undertaken in an effort to establish the biological actions of carvacrol for its potential use in clinical applications. Results from in vitro and in vivo studies show that carvacrol possess a variety of biological and pharmacological properties including antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, spasmolytic, and vasorelaxant. The focus of this review is to evaluate the existing knowledge regarding the biological, pharmacological, and toxicological effects of carvacrol.

Edited by Ruth, 12 December 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#48 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

yes but how many of these compounds are aromatic or volatile?  arent you likely to get more from a teaspoon of marjoram on your pizza than you are from breathing in a few tiny doplets?

#49 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

yeah... breathing essential oils for health. always cracked me up. the whole essential oil thing is overblown silly homopathy that is mostly advertised in soccer mom magazines

#50 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

yeah... breathing essential oils for health. always cracked me up. the whole essential oil thing is overblown silly homopathy that is mostly advertised in soccer mom magazines

Have you used EO?

#51 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:39 AM

Have you used EO?

ive tried them all at some point. i had most hopes for frankensence since it had interesting studies on helping depression. needless to say, it actually made me nauseous

#52 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

Have you used EO?

ive tried them all at some point. i had most hopes for frankensence since it had interesting studies on helping depression. needless to say, it actually made me nauseous

That's too bad. As a fellow sufferer of depression, I find the uniqueness and warmth and sometimes earthiness -- actually the sheer variety of odors captured and bottled in these oils to be hopeful. They're not a silver bullet or homerun cure, obviously, but (mixing american metaphors nonstop here) they're one tool amongst many to help with suffering from anxiety and depression.

From a practical perspective, too, even if you don't happen to be "clinically depressed" they're also helpful. We urbanites live in an odoriferous assault -- taking a whiff of something like patchouli or sandalwood or tangerine or amber can be like a mini vacation from the urban stenches. Again, not a cure, but another tool in the ole toolbox to help with modern living.

#53 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Have you used EO?

EOs are not only used for inhalations, they are used as extremely potent topical agents.

#54 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

Have you used EO?

That's too bad. As a fellow sufferer of depression, I find the uniqueness and warmth and sometimes earthiness -- actually the sheer variety of odors captured and bottled in these oils to be hopeful. They're not a silver bullet or homerun cure, obviously, but (mixing american metaphors nonstop here) they're one tool amongst many to help with suffering from anxiety and depression.

From a practical perspective, too, even if you don't happen to be "clinically depressed" they're also helpful. We urbanites live in an odoriferous assault -- taking a whiff of something like patchouli or sandalwood or tangerine or amber can be like a mini vacation from the urban stenches. Again, not a cure, but another tool in the ole toolbox to help with modern living.

well, in general i cant tolerate perfumes, natural or synthetic aromas. i really dont enjoy that at all and i actually happen to like smells of gasoline and complex petroleum products, its not depressing for me at least.

but if you are one of those type of nature guys, you dont need essential oils to feel at home, you just need the smell of grass and trees. the green smell so to say. just get wheatgrass in vases and put it all over the place if that helps you

#55 Oakman

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Much good information here. I've been using essential oils for various purposes over the years without really a lot of knowledge. Nice to have some science based thoughts on them from the posters here. I'll pay more attention to see if empirically I notice the effects described.

However, for myself, I use...

D-Lemonine as a pick-me-up - I take 1 gram capsule most every day. I feel it gives an energy boost and can cleanse the body/circulation.

D-Lemonine topical as a way to determine whether a skin spot is cancer/precancer or not, and as an antiseptic/clarifier on skin eruptions. Very effective.

Tea Tree as an antiseptic and skin clarifier, typically on my face and neck. Plus my wife comments she loves the way I smell when I use it (!) Weird IMO, but whatever.

Peppermint oil (and carrier oil) as a hair regrowth aid on the scalp. I just love the smell.

Peppermint, Rosemary, and Lavender in a diffuser for stimulation while studying/working.

Of interest those who use cannabis, a company called LucidMood sells THC, CBD, and Terpene infused pads for use in a dry vaporizer. 

The 'moods' they offer are called, Party, Sleep, Relief, Bliss, Energy, Focus, & Relax. They don't specify the source of the terpenes, but the pictures shown with the various 'moods' give an idea.

#56 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

Peppermint oil for hair regrowth?  Did you book results?

#57 Oakman

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Peppermint oil for hair regrowth?  Did you book results?

Are you asking, "Does it work?" Well, I haven't tried it long enough, and I'm combining it with Red Light Therapy, but for the hair challenged, hope springs enternal!

But some info for you.

#58 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Interesting sites, Oakman. I'll give peppermint oil a try. May your hair grow long and luscious :-) !

#59 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

1 drop per day max of any given E oils or put 1 drop in 10ml oil, and cosume it 3x/day.

Edited by dazed1, 17 December 2017 - 12:16 AM.

• unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Ruth

• 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

"HERBAL GEL CONTAINING CORM EXTRACT OF PISANG KEPOK (MUSA BALBISIANA) PROMOTE HAIR GROWTH OF RABBIT"

"ABSTRACT Current technologies and therapies of hair disorders are not yet satisfying people suffer from hair loss, so that efforts in seeking effective medicine for promoting hair growth are still continues. This study intended to investigate and confirms the effects of crude corms extract of pisang kepok (Musa balbisiana) given topically on rabbit hairs growth. Four healty, male rabbits, aged 4-5 months, weighing 1.5 kg – 2 kg were used for the study. Six areas (2 cm x 2 cm each) on the dorsal aspects of animals were shaved. The first shaved area treated topically with nothing (normal control). The second and third areas treated consecutively with gel without banana corms extract (as negative control) and reference formulations (as positive control). The last three areas treated with gel containing corms extract of pisang kepok with the concentration of 2%, 4% and 8% respectively. All treatments were given once daily for 21 days. The length of hairs were assessed on day 7, 14 and 21, while the hair mass was measured on day 22. The results showed herbal topical gel containing crude corms extract of pisang kepok significantly increase the animal hairs length and mass in comparison to the normal and negative control. Therefore it can be suggested that herbal gel containing corms extract of M. balbisiana is potent to be use as the topical formulations for hair growth."

"Gel Administrations and Observation The gel (0.1 g/shaved area) was administered topically on the animal shaved skin, once daily, for 21 days. On day 7, 14, and 21 from each treated area was taken randomly 10 hairs and the length of each hair was measured using caliper and expressed in centimeter. On day 22 all hairs in treated area were taken and weighed using a digital microbalance and expressed as milligram.
Statistical Analysis The data were described as mean ± standard error (SE). One-way ANOVA and Least Significant Diference (LSD) test was used to determine the statistical significance (p < 0.05) of the differences between values of various experimental and control groups.
RESULTS The descriptive and analytical data of the effects of six different topical gel on rabbit hairs growth after daily treatments on day 7, 14 and 21 are presented, respectively, in Table 2, 3 and 4. The results of one-way Anova for the data in Table 2 are F = 3801.251 and P < 0.001; for the data in Table 3 are F = 526.482 and P < 0.001; and for the data in Table 3 are F = 64839.600, and P < 0.001. Referring the results of LSD test on the mean values between the treatments which were shown in Table 2, 3 and 4, it is clear that herbal topical gel containing crude corms extract of pisang kepok (Musa balbisiana) significantly increase the animal hairs length in comparison to the normal and negative control. When compared to the positive control, the effect of the gel containing crude corms extracts of the plants, even at the highest concentration (8%), statistically lower."

"Again, plant extract of banana revealed to contain almost of all the substances which were reported to possess promotion activities against the hair growth.27] The last and most important is it has already reported that the ethanol extract of banana peel can inhibit 5alphareductase in mice.[28]
CONCLUSION Given the topical herbal gel containing ethanolic corms extract of M.balbisiana of all concentration levels, showed higher length of rabbit growing hair, it can be concluded that crude corms extract of pisang kepok is potent to be used as alternative herbal for the hair growth promotion."

http://www.tandfonli...84.2017.1353598 "Introduction: Treatments for androgenetic alopecia constitute a multi-billion-dollar industry, however, currently available therapeutic options have variable efficacy. Consequently, in recent years small biotechnology companies and academic research laboratories have begun to investigate new or improved treatment methods. Research and development approaches include improved formulations and modes of application for current drugs, new drug development, development of cell-based treatments, and medical devices for modulation of hair growth.

Areas covered: Here we review the essential pathways of androgenetic alopecia pathogenesis and collate the current and emerging therapeutic strategies using journal publications databases and clinical trials databases to gather information about active research on new treatments.

Expert opinion: We propose that topically applied medications, or intra-dermal injected or implanted materials, are preferable treatment modalities, minimizing side effect risks as compared to systemically applied treatments. Evidence in support of new treatments is limited. However, we suggest therapeutics which reverse the androgen-driven inhibition of hair follicle signaling pathways, such as prostaglandin analogs and antagonists, platelet-rich plasma (PRP), promotion of skin angiogenesis and perfusion, introduction of progenitor cells for hair regeneration, and more effective ways of transplanting hair, are the likely near future direction of androgenetic alopecia treatment development."

Edited by Ruth, 17 December 2017 - 05:46 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rosemary essential oil, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users