* * * * - 1 votes

treating social anxiety to indirectly resolve other issues

social anxiety

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

Social anxiety or socially induced panic can have a huge impact on the general mental state, in my own case, it seems to be at the core of all my issues either directly or indirectly. Even when i am alone, i can feel the pressure of social anxiety churning beneath the surface, creating constant agitation and muscle tension.

The constant muscle tension and physical/mental agitation is exhausting so it is a mixture of total physical and mental exhaustion mixed with muscle tension and agitation. This mixed state leads to decreased exercise and increases time spent in the same position which causes unproductive pain and just makes the situation worse. The worse and more sedentary this state gets, the more depressive my thinking gets and the more motivation is needed to get anything done. Everything complex develops from something less complex.

I've been cycling in and out of this state to varying extents my whole life, in fact everyone does but to different extents. When the highs and lows are out beyond the average margins, its often diagnosed as all kinds of things even though it is really just a manifestation of social anxiety.

It seems to me that fear of embarrasment is at the core of social anxiety and rightly so, because ratio of embarrassment is directly tied to social status. What seems to be out of whack is the extent of embarrasment. Some people handle embarrassment well and others don't. Some people are literally momentarily incapacitated and some people just feel a slight rise in internal temperature or perhaps even get a helpful boost in mental capacity. For those of us who have a profoundly incapacitory reaction to humiliation, there is a very strong aversion toward those experiences and the body over time, develops a hypersensitive state in order to avoid them. This allows us to be more aware of the possibility of getting into one of those experiences, but it is really counterproductive and only makes things worse by increasing self consciousness and obsessive self monitoring.

A proper treatment of the entire manifestation would have to reduce both the constant hypersensitive state and the acute reaction to humiliation. Benzo's seem to be the most effective anxiolytic because they address both states, the problem is, they also reduce cognitive ability which is much needed when attempting to better yourself socially. They also often cause depression and addiction and stop working as soon as you stop taking them.

In order for true remission to be achieved, i think cognitive ability must be at least left intact if not increased along with a decrease in the constant, acute or both, symptoms of anxiety. This would enable you to rewire your thinking patterns and possibly break the cycle of thinking yourself into anxious feelings and the anxious feelings creating anxious thinking. This is why i think so many people have initial success with stimulants even though they also cause anxiety symptoms, they enable you to have better control over your thoughts. Its also why i think social anxiety can appear as ADD and OCD, because part of the avoidance mechanism is to make thoughts harder to consciously control.

So really the best bet is a dual approach aimed at minimizing physical symptoms of anxiety and maximizing cognitive ability. Dexedrine+clonazepam is a crude attempt at this and can achieve very nice states, but because both drugs are addictive and have issues with tolerance as well as not being precise enough, it is not really a viable option.

I would be very interested to hear your opinions or possible substances/stacks which might address the problem in a more precise sustainable way. The quest continues for the illusive anxiolytic/nootropic.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#2 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

nardil + dexedrine would probably work if you have a VERY open-minded psychiatrist ..
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 socialpiranha

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

i actually have tried that combo, just felt too fucked up, but i didnt have a good response to nardil in general.
  • Informative x 1

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

For some reason Ginseng tends to raise my attitude and make me not give a shit about people's opinions. A bit aggressive even, but not in an unhealthy way. Just recognize that I am a man and who through the world without apologize. Surely Ginseng won't just snap one from a total wussy to alpha male though, but it can help a lot. And somehow gets me in touch with my character. And it also seems to put a stop to some stupid thinking-patters or -loops that won't lead to anything good or useful. This is my personal experience though, can't guarantee results but it's worth a try. Ginseng has both stimulative and calming qualities affecting NMDA, GABA, Dopamine and endocrine systems.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 13 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#5 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

You need to get off the GABA drugs.

Anxiety is primarily a disorder of serotonin. SSRI - Sertraline 150-250mg be aware the first two or so weeks are often characterised by worsen't anxiety.

If that doesn't work add in Pregabalin or Buspirone.

For Sertraline and Buspirone you need to leave four weeks to notice any real response and six before you can decide it hasn't helped. If you determine no effect off the sertraline switch to venlafaxine or mitazapine.

Preserves cognitive function, is evidence based and keeps it simple.
  • dislike x 4
  • Good Point x 1

#6 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have found Noopept at suggested dosages (10 mg, 2-3 times daily) to be helpful for social anxiety. You could also look into magnesium, ashwagandha and rhodiola.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#7 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

This is my current stack for (primary)anxiety (secondary)mood lift/motivation/energy (tertiary)general health:

Posted Image

#8 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I don't think you should go down the serotonergic or gabaercic route. Try NMDA potentiation and CBT instead.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#9 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

No, no one should go down the GABA route, its addictive and dangerous.

The Serotonergic route however is shown a million times over to be a primary treatment site for all anxiety disorders. It has less side effects than NMDA drugs as well, not to mention the total lack of evidence for NMDA receptor modulation in any psychiatric disorder.aba

Pregabalin is also very effective and safe.

CBT is a good call.
  • dislike x 3
  • Disagree x 2
  • like x 1

#10 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Try combination of CBT with Methylene blue. MB increases fear extinction and has a serotonergic element to it as well through MAO-A inhibition. You may have better luck with MB's MAOI properties than Nardil's since nardil has other, 2ndary effects, I think on vit B or something.

I would partially agree with you on the assertion of Social anxiety influencing ADHD symptoms. The isolation resulting from social anxiety does a lot of damage, I feel. However, as someone with a lot of social anxiety, I can't relate to your feeling of constant pressure. When not in a social situation, I have less anxiety than most people that I know.

It is possible that there are multiples causes of social anxiety, one more representing the conventional social anxiety, and one more representing AvPD. Luckily for you, conventional social anxiety is more easily treated by conventional methods. Serotonergics/SSRIs would be pretty effective for this.

Serotonergics are very good at reducing excessive sensitivity. From what I gather, Serotonergics would do you good, and you may even prefer the slight reduction in emotion.

Have you tried inositol? It is VERY good at reducing ruminations. I would strongly suggest it to you.

#11 socialpiranha

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

I've been on several ssri's, buspirone, gabapentin, pregabalin, mirtazepine and venlafaxine with no positive effect on social anxiety. I tried inositol in high doses years ago but i think i remember it being very similar to ssri's in efficacy and side effects. I also tried methylene blue not with cbt but with self regulated exposure therapy with a slight bit of success.

I am treatment resistant but probably mainly because i won't settle for anything less than something which selectively treats the physical anxiety response rather than just makes me ok with being socially akward or depresses the whole system or what have you. I am only interested in drugs with extremely particular effects, the less impact the better these days because I have become so sensitive to side effects after ten years of exhaustive self experimentation. I am not on any drugs long term right now and i feel better than i have in years but i still want something to enable me to live a more productive life that isn't controlled by fear of social interaction.

I am on day 3 with mildronate and have had a few unexpectedly succesful social interactions, i was trying it for energy and depression but so far it seems to be helping with social interaction... just found a study saying it helps reverse sympathetic/parasympathetic modulation after heart attacks, which makes me wonder if early socially traumatic events could cause similar modulation....

#12 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Try combination of CBT with Methylene blue. MB increases fear extinction and has a serotonergic element to it as well through MAO-A inhibition.

Sounds interesting.. You have any experience with MB used for such a purpose?

Have you tried inositol? It is VERY good at reducing ruminations. I would strongly suggest it to you.

You recommend the usual 20 g doses? I tried this once but it gave me major diarrhea..

I've been on several ssri's, buspirone, gabapentin, pregabalin, mirtazepine and venlafaxine with no positive effect on social anxiety. I tried inositol in high doses years ago but i think i remember it being very similar to ssri's in efficacy and side effects. I also tried methylene blue not with cbt but with self regulated exposure therapy with a slight bit of success.

I am treatment resistant but probably mainly because i won't settle for anything less than something which selectively treats the physical anxiety response rather than just makes me ok with being socially akward or depresses the whole system or what have you. I am only interested in drugs with extremely particular effects, the less impact the better these days because I have become so sensitive to side effects after ten years of exhaustive self experimentation. I am not on any drugs long term right now and i feel better than i have in years but i still want something to enable me to live a more productive life that isn't controlled by fear of social interaction.

I am on day 3 with mildronate and have had a few unexpectedly succesful social interactions, i was trying it for energy and depression but so far it seems to be helping with social interaction... just found a study saying it helps reverse sympathetic/parasympathetic modulation after heart attacks, which makes me wonder if early socially traumatic events could cause similar modulation....

Hm I'd still recommend NMDA modulators.. Try things such as pregnenolone, piracetam, D-cyclo-serine, DAA + sarcosine etc. Stacked with cerebrolysin maybe.
I've signed up for a study on D-cyclo-serine + CBT, just hope I won't get in the placebo control group hehe..

#13 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

For some reason Ginseng tends to raise my attitude and make me not give a shit about people's opinions. A bit aggressive even, but not in an unhealthy way. Just recognize that I am a man and who through the world without apologize. Surely Ginseng won't just snap one from a total wussy to alpha male though, but it can help a lot. And somehow gets me in touch with my character. And it also seems to put a stop to some stupid thinking-patters or -loops that won't lead to anything good or useful. This is my personal experience though, can't guarantee results but it's worth a try. Ginseng has both stimulative and calming qualities affecting NMDA, GABA, Dopamine and endocrine systems.

What type of ginseng, and what was the extract? I've tried all the forms of ginseng and never felt one iota of anything. I've essentially given up on plant compounds. They are entirely useless- a complete waste of money, for me at least. There is a reason why mankind invented drugs. Because plants don't goddamn work.

Edited by Soma, 19 June 2013 - 12:48 PM.

• like x 4

#14 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

What type of ginseng, and what was the extract? I've tried all the forms of ginseng and never felt one iota of anything. I've essentially given up on plant compounds. They are entirely useless- a complete waste of money, for me at least. There is a reason why mankind invented drugs. Because plants don't goddamn work.

Panax Ginseng standardized to 16mg ginsenosides 4-6 caps a day. I also have combined it with St. John's Wort that seems to synergize. I think it worked so well for me because (I'm suspecting) my HPA-axis has been dysfunctioning.. Things have now stabilized and I don't seem to get such a strong effect anymore but I don't feel need for something like that either. Still boosts my energy and feels "strengthening" though. I can understand that many don't feel much if any effect from these herbs - they usually have quite broad range of (often mild) effects, and often need to be used in combinations. But thousands years of traditional medicine use, a lot of positive anecdotes from supplementing and recognition in scientific research is enough to show that these plant compounds do have therapeutic value. Ginseng-Bacopa-SJW combination has done more to my anxiety and cognition than anything really.. even on Phenibut I didn't have this level of calm.
  • like x 2

#15 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Do NOT fuck around with methylene blue until you have done a fuck ton of research on it for months. that stuff is serious shit.

Try combination of CBT with Methylene blue. MB increases fear extinction and has a serotonergic element to it as well through MAO-A inhibition.

You recommend the usual 20 g doses? I tried this once but it gave me major diarrhea..

Hm I'd still recommend NMDA modulators.. Try things such as pregnenolone, piracetam, D-cyclo-serine, DAA + sarcosine etc. Stacked with cerebrolysin maybe.
I've signed up for a study on D-cyclo-serine + CBT, just hope I won't get in the placebo control group hehe..

Where is this cycloserine study you signed up for? I read that study and wanted to buy some and use it on myself with exposure therapy for fear extinction in social situations, but I got some Sarcosine and D-Serine instead since they're not just partial but full agonists of the receptors, so should be more potent. I've been taking them before exposing myself to phobic situations for a couple weeks now, not every day but now and again. Hard to say if it's working because it's not something you can actually feel happen.

Edited by Sunwind, 19 June 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#16 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Ginseng-Bacopa-SJW combination has done more to my anxiety and cognition than anything really.. even on Phenibut I didn't have this level of calm.

Good to hear. I've never tried that combo. Is this a particular supplement that you take, containing all three...or do you take them individually. If individually, what SJW- perika, kira, other?

Thanks galaxy.

#17 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ginseng-Bacopa-SJW combination has done more to my anxiety and cognition than anything really.. even on Phenibut I didn't have this level of calm.

Good to hear. I've never tried that combo. Is this a particular supplement that you take, containing all three...or do you take them individually. If individually, what SJW- perika, kira, other?

Thanks galaxy.

I take them individially. Thorne Research Bacopa extract 2-6 caps, Perika SJW 3 caps and local supplement store Ginseng extract 4-6 caps a day has been my usual regimen for several months now. Pretty sure most of the reputable brand products will work for Bacopa and Ginseng. For SJW, Perika I've found superior to other extracts tried (Hyperforin standardized so has the most affinity at SNDRI) but Kira works well too. These supps tend to take time to really start doing therapeutic effects (weeks), altough previously I've got some immediate effects too. Long-term seems that positive changes have happened and I feel less and less need for supplementing as I'm reaching very healthy balance of mental state. But I still notice a clear difference if I don't use them.

#18 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks galaxy.

I take them individially. Thorne Research Bacopa extract 2-6 caps, Perika SJW 3 caps and local supplement store Ginseng extract 4-6 caps a day has been my usual regimen for several months now. Pretty sure most of the reputable brand products will work for Bacopa and Ginseng. For SJW, Perika I've found superior to other extracts tried (Hyperforin standardized so has the most affinity at SNDRI) but Kira works well too. These supps tend to take time to really start doing therapeutic effects (weeks), altough previously I've got some immediate effects too. Long-term seems that positive changes have happened and I feel less and less need for supplementing as I'm reaching very healthy balance of mental state. But I still notice a clear difference if I don't use them.

Hm, interesting.. I also thrive on stuff that activates the HPTA and I need something to balance things out with the bupropion I'm taking but I'd HATE to go on an SSRI again so this sounds really promising! Fortunately I have all three at home so I'll try it out and report back! :) Possibly I'll throw in some quercetin as well..
Btw, at what times of the day are you taking them?

Do NOT fuck around with methylene blue until you have done a fuck ton of research on it for months. that stuff is serious shit.

Where is this cycloserine study you signed up for? I read that study and wanted to buy some and use it on myself with exposure therapy for fear extinction in social situations, but I got some Sarcosine and D-Serine instead since they're not just partial but full agonists of the receptors, so should be more potent. I've been taking them before exposing myself to phobic situations for a couple weeks now, not every day but now and again. Hard to say if it's working because it's not something you can actually feel happen.

Not in England, unfortunately.
Hm you don't feel anything from sarcosine and d-serine? What doses where you taking?

#19 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hm, interesting.. I also thrive on stuff that activates the HPTA and I need something to balance things out with the bupropion I'm taking but I'd HATE to go on an SSRI again so this sounds really promising! Fortunately I have all three at home so I'll try it out and report back! :) Possibly I'll throw in some quercetin as well..
Btw, at what times of the day are you taking them?

I usually take a dose of each first thing in the morning, after lunch and early evening. Definitely worth a trial, preferably for at least couple weeks to show good effects. I have never been on SSRI, but SJW and Bacopa do seem take care of serotonin veery well. Hyperforin in SJW has showed some comparable or even superior re-uptake inhibition potencies to that of synthetic anti-depressants (http://link.springer...0354-007-0440-8). I'm not sure of interaction with bupropion though as both have DNRI effects?

Edited by Galaxyshock, 19 June 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#20 Dinvestor

• 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

"I take them individially. Thorne Research Bacopa extract 2-6 caps, Perika SJW 3 caps and local supplement store Ginseng extract 4-6 caps a day has been my usual regimen for several months now."

Hi Galaxy:

When you first started this stack/combo, how much were you taking at each dosing for each component? Looks like 1 of the SJW's, but what were the doses for the Bacopa and Ginseng at each dose, especially initially? Was it two caps each for a total of 6 per day for each?

Thx,
D

#21 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Not in England, unfortunately.
Hm you don't feel anything from sarcosine and d-serine? What doses where you taking?

up to 1.5g/3g, don't feel any different afterwards, am I supposed too? I thought they just aided neuroplasticity and memory formation and such, thus why they're good for fear extinction

#22 socialpiranha

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

thanks for the suggestions

Lordaud, thats good to hear about the trial hope you get the active pills! if not ...free cbt i guess ha. I'm planning to order indeloxazine and d-cycloserine this week.

Just an update on the mildronate, day 3 was another good day! Usually when i'm in uncomfortable social situations, my brain doesn't work very well, mildronate seems to change that so i can actually think of what to say. Usually when someone i'm not comfortable with asks me a question my brain just goes into panic mode so my response is akward, dumb and shaky.

This may be because i read a study yesterday which implied this, but it seems like it may enable the parasympathetic nervous system to quell the sympathetic response to fear.
  • Informative x 1

#23 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

"I take them individially. Thorne Research Bacopa extract 2-6 caps, Perika SJW 3 caps and local supplement store Ginseng extract 4-6 caps a day has been my usual regimen for several months now."

Hi Galaxy:

When you first started this stack/combo, how much were you taking at each dosing for each component? Looks like 1 of the SJW's, but what were the doses for the Bacopa and Ginseng at each dose, especially initially? Was it two caps each for a total of 6 per day for each?

Thx,
D

I think I started with just one cap of each two times a day. Then I found that both Bacopa and Ginseng would noticeably reduce my evening fatigue/exhaustion so I added third dose. I mean even caffeine, rhodiola, craze or 5 grams of tyrosine wouldn't do much if any help with the fog and dreading fatigue I would get usually around 6pm, caused by adrenal exhaustion / dysregulated HPA axis, I suppose. Then I would increase the dosage as needed and depending how I feel. I now aim ginsenosides : bacosides at roughly 2 : 3 ratio / day. Ginseng is usually more activating and Bacopa calming so one can play with the dosing as suitable. I may for example not take Bacopa in the morning if I go to gym so I have a bit more drive. SJW I've always tried stick to the one cap three times a day schedule.

#24 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

about bacopa, just chiming in on topic brands.. i had the most success with pure encapsulation brand, but it was expensive. planetary herbal was cheap but very weak. i believe the best price/quality ratio is within "himalaya" something brand

#25 jakord

• 57 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm a bit astonished memantine hasn't been mentioned yet. But with the list of obscure drugs you're going to try, I guess you have already been on memantine.

#26 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

A 5ht-2c inhibitor like agomelatine has been shown to be good for anxiety, as well as normalizing the HPA response (adrenaline and cortisol) and may also stimulate the HPTA (more testosterone for better social confidence, hopefully).
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#27 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

But also remember that almost everyone in the world has social anxiety. Why do you think people socialize almost universally with alcohol or otger drugs? Sometimes I think maybe the diagnosis should not be so much social anxiety as "impaired response to alcohol." For some genetic reason, a subset of people, like myself, don't loosen up with alcohol - I just get more uptight and miserable with a drink in me, in fact. Maybe you have this problem too. Does alcohol help you ?

Edited by nowayout, 14 July 2013 - 04:23 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#28 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have also very strong social anxiety but it gets much better when i drink, depending on how much energy i have that day.
Honestly alcohol is the best for me.. would be nice to find a drug with similar mechanics

#29 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have also very strong social anxiety but it gets much better when i drink, depending on how much energy i have that day.
Honestly alcohol is the best for me.. would be nice to find a drug with similar mechanics

Why? What's wrong with alcohol itself then? In moderation it is even good for longevity, ss opposed to any pharma drugs you are likely to be prescribed for this condition.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Why? What's wrong with alcohol itself then? In moderation it is even good for longevity, ss opposed to any pharma drugs you are likely to be prescribed for this condition.

it makes me slower and the quality of the work i do is compromised
it is ok for social situations, but not for everyday life, concentration and productivity
besides, it is not socially acceptable to drink on a daily base outside of ludic environments

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: social anxiety

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users