• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anomalies in my blood tests report – can you explain?

hormones dhea tsh soy blood tests lp(a) dislipedia

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Can you please have a look at my blood tests (see link incl. values, units and ref. ranges)?

I hesitate posting (why you should bother?) but tried anyway as I saw other posters doing it with excellent feedback from other posters for which I have huge respect. Also, it might be interesting to others!

link to june 2013 blood tests

Positive
  • Homocysteine has lowered from 14 to 12, so the Vit. B supplementation (moderate) looks working to some extent and intend to continue.
  • As expected after my TURP the PSA lowered to 0.8 and the ratio free/total looks in the safe range.
  • CRP remains low at 0.4 making me confident my anti-inflammatory regime, both with diet and supplementation, is working.
  • Iron lowed to 81 near the values of good years and I am pleased the otherwise high iron load measurement (ferritine) has dramatically lowered. I suspect both IP6 supplementation and green tea, both iron chelators, might be for something (note: phosphorous is normal, was a concern when using IP6)
  • WBCs increased back into the normal range (was slightly off range in recent years, had leucopenia in my family). Wonder if this is due to remnants of my surgery last Jan or some short term supplementation i made to test (shark liver oil)
Negative
  • DHEA is dramatically low at 15.4! I did many tries in the past to correct this but still concerned with supplementation due to the prostate condition. Would 7-keto help as it is supposed (some do not agree though) not to convert to T and E2?
  • Lp(a) dramatically increased to 393: any suggestion of a working protocol to reduce it? I understand niacin (high doses: 1-3 g) and Vitamin C + Lysine + Proline are supposed to help. The respective action mechanisms are not quite known. Any experience? There is a strong hereditary component on Lp(a) and I always had it in the high range.
  • While still in the range, TSH increased to 4 (despite T3 and T4 are normal) likely due to soy consumption. I increased slightly my iodine intake.
  • Palmitic free fatty acid is too high. I will investigate what changes I did in my diet. Any idea? However, despite this and other abnormalities in the FFA panel, key ratios such as oleic to palmitic, omega 6 to omega 3, omega 3 percentages and AA/EPA look relatively good though not ideal.
  • Total C is high at 208, despite HDL-C is ok and, importantly, the ratio HDL-C/Total C looks quite safe at 3.6
  • Calcium is a bit high (despite in the normal range) to 9.4
General
  • Male, 57
  • Generally in good health, eating relatively well, moderately exercising
  • BMI 22 (H 187cm, W 77kg)
  • Supplementing
  • Had TURP for prostate condition (high PVR), using only one medication (distigmine bromide) just for a limited period
  • Had 23andme tests done
PS
I am not sure "supplements" is the right location for this post!

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

You never specified the supplements you take. I can move your topic to another forum, but none seem quite specific to your topic. Supplements works as well as any I think.

Disclaimer: the following is not medical advice, but the musings of one who has dealt with similar problems. Take it with a grain of salt, or the supplement of your choice.

Your numbers are not bad, but not good either. Could be early stages of metabolic syndrome. Were the blood samples drawn fasting, or having eaten?

23andme should give you information on your genotype re: APOE.... Some types are much more sensitive to diet. Lowering cholesterol can be be very dramatically done for APEE3 or APOE4 by following a predominantly vegetarian diet, meat in extreme moderation and less tan 30% of calories from any form of fat.. Other genotypes, saturated fat and meat make less difference. Some can deal with high levels of mono-unsaturated fat like olive oil. The blood glucose at 100 is troublesome if it is the fasting level, borders on pre-diabetes. That too can benefit from semi-vegetarian diet, and from skipping desert: avoid anything with fructose or sucrose, unless it is fruit, and then in moderation. Berries are better than large over-bred and overly sweet fruit. This might help, if you are not already doing such.

But metabolic syndrome, (high blood sugar progressing to diabetes type 2, and increasingly bad blood lipid levels) is increasingly common as we age, and may be partly due to unavoidable environmental factors as well as the diet of industrial civilization. Childhood exposure to DDT can cause it (I remember the clouds from a low flying plane spraying the suburbs of New Jersey for mosquitos when I was a child) as can many other common chemicals, such as plasticizers in the plastic bottles and can liners in the processed foods we all eat. Never microwave food in a plastic container. Trans fats, ubiquitous until a decade or so ago are another possible culprit.

Metformin, as well as bitter melon as fruit or extract are some substances that might help. Bitter melon is long a staple in Asian cuisine and medicine, to treat diabetes and to ameliorate other conditions of old age. The extract does reduce blood glucose, and activates PPAR-gamma as a possible mechanism for its reported effect of reducing triglycerides and LDL. Inflammation of a low level can aggravate the situation too. Aspirin and other NSAIDs can reduce systemic inflammation. I have gotten a prescription for salicylate for this purpose. It does not cause gastrointestinal bleeding, but is metabolized to salicylic acid - it can cause internal bleeding, such as stroke, just as aspirin can cause hemorrhagic stroke, but without stomach upset. The risk is low compared to the benefits, I think. Sometimes used to reduce or eliminate need for opiates in pain management , it was prescribed over a century ago to treat diabetes with some success, until the discovery of metformin in the mid-twentieth century.

Good luck with this.
  • like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sytrinol reduces my LDL quite powerfully, so it should also reduce lp(a)? You could try Sytrinol + niacin for a couple of months and then re-measure your blood lipids.
  • like x 2

#4 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm the same age as you, and I have dealt with similar issues.
I would try 5 methyl folate to reduce the homocysteine number to below 10.
I take a quarter grain of armour thyroid extract, and a kelp tablet for iodine. It reduced my TSH from 4 to 2 1/2.
7 keto DHEA doesn't convert to estrogen as far as I know, so it should be safe. It might nt boost your DHEAS number though. It's up to you if you want to take a low dose sublingual DHEA supplement for that.
It's probably a coincidence, but I had leukopenia too. I take a thymus extract and IP6 and it's helped somewhat.
I take niacin, soluable fiber, and low dose simvistatin for LDL

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Fish oil can reduce Lp(a), although I have no idea if you are currently taking it. Too much fish oil could have risks of its own though. Niacin can help too, but if you go that route, the slow release form may be a bit easier.

As for TSH, rather than increase iodine, maybe just decrease soy consumption? There have been some studies linking high-ish TSH to increased LDL levels too -- > 2.0 in theory could raise LDL. A TSH of 4 would be considered a bit abnormal by some endocrinologists, as well as some blood tests (I think the lab I go to uses 3.2 as the cut-off).

• like x 1

#6 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

You never specified the supplements you take. I can move your topic to another forum, but none seem quite specific to your topic. Supplements works as well as any I think.

Thank you very much for your comments! Here is my supplements list (some are fractions of the serving dose and some are cycled):

LEF Multi MIX caps (1/5)
LEF Fish Oil 2000mg (1/4)
LEF R-LA 600mg
LEF ALCAR 620mg
LEF Super Carnosine 500mg (1/2)
LEF Cognitex (cycling)
LEF Vit D3 (1000-2000IU)
LEF Super Ubiquinol 50mg
LEF Gamma Tocopherols/Tocotrienols (2/7)
LEF Caloric Restriction Mimetic w/ t-resveratrol (1/2)
LEF Super Zeaxanthin
LEF Advanced Natural Prostate Formula
LEF Super BioCurcumin 400mg (1/2)
LEF Super Selenium complex 200mcg (2/7)
LEF Optizinc 30mg (1/2)
LEF Magnesium 320mg
LEF Endothelial Defense (cycling)
LEF NAC 600mg (1/2)
LEF Mega Green Tea
LEF Chlorophyllin
NewChapter Zyflamend
LEF Lycopene 10mg (1/2)
LEF Super K w/ K2 complex
CellForte IP6 & Inositol
Piracetam 800-1600mg
Jarrow Dophilus EPS Probiotics
LEF Melatonin 1mg (2/7)
Dragon River Cilantro extract
LEF HepatoPro PPC 900mg (Polyunsaturated Phosphatidylcholine) (cycling)
LEF B Complete Complex (1/4)
Nat&Form Red Yeast Rice (1200-1800 mg)
LEF TMG (1000mg) (cycled)
LEF Optimized Garlic
VitImmune I3C w DIM 200 mg
LEF Vanadyl Sulfate 7.5mg (2/7)
LEF Copper 2mg (2/7)

Your numbers are not bad, but not good either. Could be early stages of metabolic syndrome. Were the blood samples drawn fasting, or having eaten?

Fasting and at same time in the morning, as I always did for good comparison.

23andme should give you information on your genotype re: APOE.... Some types are much more sensitive to diet. Lowering cholesterol can be be very dramatically done for APEE3 or APOE4 by following a predominantly vegetarian diet, meat in extreme moderation and less tan 30% of calories from any form of fat.. Other genotypes, saturated fat and meat make less difference. Some can deal with high levels of mono-unsturated fat like olive oil.

I am typical e3/e3 with decreased risk of AD (x0.67 of average) testing on rs7412 (CC) and rs429358 (TT) and agree with you. Btw, I think I also use too much of olive oil. Will pay even more attention to meat and exercise more despite being slave of my computer...

The blood glucose at 100 is troublesome if it is the fasting level, borders on pre-diabetes. That too can benefit from semi-vegetarian diet, and from skipping desert: avoid anything with fructose or sucrose, unless it is fruit, and then in moderation. Berries are better than large over-bred and overly sweet fruit. This might help, if you are not already doing such.

You must be definitively right. I got off track with chocolate and desserts and very likely overdoing with fruits; really craving for all this in the evening. It can explain the new glucose value as I was always, at least, in the 80's. Also, the only time when I got A1c under 5 was when rigorously followed Dr Sears's Zone and reduced carbs. Committed to correct this.

But metabolic syndrome, (high blood sugar progressing to diabetes type 2, and increasingly bad blood lipid levels) is increasingly common as we age, and may be partly due to unavoidable environmental factors as well as the diet of industrial civilization. Childhood exposure to DDT can cause it (I remember the clouds from a low flying plane spraying the suburbs of New Jersey for mosquitos when I was a child) as can many other common chemicals, such as plasticizers in the plastic bottles and can liners in the processed foods we all eat. Never microwave food in a plastic container. Trans fats, ubiquitous until a decade or so ago are another possible culprit.

Yes, I do also recollect DDT too. Thank you for point me to this, never have considered. Paying attention to plasticizers but for tranfats I am not sure on my exposure. I am caring/testing since only about 10 years and of course try avoiding them.

Metformin, as well as bitter melon as fruit or extract are some substances that might help. Bitter melon is long a staple in Asian cuisine and medicine, to treat diabetes and to ameliorate other conditions of old age. The extract does reduce blood glucose, and activates PPAR-gamma as a possible mechanism for its reported effect of reducing triglycerides and LDL. Inflammation of a low level can aggravate the situation too. Aspirin and other NSAIDs can reduce systemic inflammation. I have gotten a prescription for salicylate for this purpose. It does not cause gastrointestinal bleeding, but is metabolized to salicylic acid - it can cause internal bleeding, such as stroke, just as aspirin can cause hemorrhagic stroke, but without stomach upset. The risk is low compared to the benefits, I think. Sometimes used to reduce or eliminate need for opiates in pain management , it was prescribed over a century ago to treat diabetes with some success, until the discovery of metformin in the mid-twentieth century.

I reading a lot about metformin (e.g. here) which looks to have also anti-cancer benefits. I will "try" to discuss it with my doctor and see if I can try a low dose prescription. There might be effects on your homocysteine via B12 reduction and TSH too tough. Never considered bitter melon extracts and found that too at LEF maybe as alternative to metformin if I cannot get to try it. Interesting point about salicylate vs aspirin. Agree on inflammation, i was thinking to be quite safe with hsCRP a 0.4, should I try to to better? Is hsCRP a good test for systemic inflammation? I could reach 0.1 last year hence I am 4x worse!

Thank you again for your long note.

Edited by albedo, 25 July 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#7 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sytrinol reduces my LDL quite powerfully, so it should also reduce lp(a)? You could try Sytrinol + niacin for a couple of months and then re-measure your blood lipids.

Thank you! I am not sure of the relationship between the two. In some case I had higher LDL with lower LP(a). I will check again sytrinol but already started to increase niacin (need to monitor liver markers and homocysteine in particular when taking high doses).

#8 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm the same age as you, and I have dealt with similar issues.
I would try 5 methyl folate to reduce the homocysteine number to below 10.
I take a quarter grain of armour thyroid extract, and a kelp tablet for iodine. It reduced my TSH from 4 to 2 1/2.
7 keto DHEA doesn't convert to estrogen as far as I know, so it should be safe. It might nt boost your DHEAS number though. It's up to you if you want to take a low dose sublingual DHEA supplement for that.
It's probably a coincidence, but I had leukopenia too. I take a thymus extract and IP6 and it's helped somewhat.
I take niacin, soluable fiber, and low dose simvistatin for LDL

Thank you!

I might give a new try (did it already) to 5 methly folate prior to retest for homocysteine. As you know my concern is with possible increase of PCa risks. I attribute my new value to a moderate B complex supplementation (folate at 200mcs) and TMG (1000mg) which I reintroduced before the test.

I tried Armour with no remarkably effects. I think for the moment I will stick to reduce soy and also a bit also brassica vegetables which are also goitrogenic if not in moderation (cooking should remove their goitrogenic effect though). My TSH was always around 2, it must be really overdoing on soy foods.

My WBC went up again, so far so good. I am also using IP6 and exactly to avoid leukopenia I tried a course of shark liver oil for one month as it is supposed to help. My father had it and I wonder what is the hereditary factor for it.

#9 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Fish oil can reduce Lp(a), although I have no idea if you are currently taking it. Too much fish oil could have risks of its own though. Niacin can help too, but if you go that route, the slow release form may be a bit easier.

As for TSH, rather than increase iodine, maybe just decrease soy consumption? There have been some studies linking high-ish TSH to increased LDL levels too -- > 2.0 in theory could raise LDL. A TSH of 4 would be considered a bit abnormal by some endocrinologists, as well as some blood tests (I think the lab I go to uses 3.2 as the cut-off).

Thank you! I am cautious on supplementing with fish oil and prefer to get it fresh from fish. Also, I forgot the link TSH / Cholesterol, thank you, maybe I can see a hint to that in my data too. I will be reducing soy, sure.

#10 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thank you! I am cautious on supplementing with fish oil and prefer to get it fresh from fish. Also, I forgot the link TSH / Cholesterol, thank you, maybe I can see a hint to that in my data too. I will be reducing soy, sure.

As far as I remember the only thing proven to lower Lp(a) effectively is Niacin. It would also further improve your TotalC/HDL ratio.

EDIT/ Ehh... You already take it. Didn't see that early enough.

Edited by Dolph, 25 July 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#11 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

As far as I remember the only thing proven to lower Lp(a) effectively is Niacin. It would also further improve your TotalC/HDL ratio.

EDIT/ Ehh... You already take it. Didn't see that early enough.

You could be right, but I think Dr. Davis (track your plaque guy) also recommends fish oil for Lp(a). A while ago I was given a free bottle of some emulsified fish oil, and after taking it for a while I noticed my Lp(a) dropped like a stone. My Lp(a) isn't normally that bad, basically in the middle range of normal, so I wasn't taking it for that. But my 5-6 Lp(a) on a VAP test dropped to 1, after the fish oil.

It could have been a coincidence or flukey test, but just thought I'd mention it. There are downsides to too much fish oil, so I guess that needs to be considered.

#12 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

I reading a lot about metformin (e.g. here) which looks to have also anti-cancer benefits. I will "try" to discuss it with my doctor and see if I can try a low dose prescription. There might be effects on your homocysteine via B12 reduction and TSH too tough. Never considered bitter melon extracts and found that too at LEF maybe as alternative to metformin if I cannot get to try it. Interesting point about salicylate vs aspirin. Agree on inflammation, i was thinking to be quite safe with hsCRP a 0.4, should I try to to better? Is hsCRP a good test for systemic inflammation? I could reach 0.1 last year hence I am 4x worse!

Thank you again for your long note.

Doctor is probably reluctant to prescribe metformin unless your A1C is elevated. In some countries it an be obtained without a prescription, or mail-order.
And the drug is salsalate, not salicylate (my bad spelling). It is cheap, and I expect your doctor would give it to you if you complain that aspirin et al. upset your stomach. Can't help with your other questions, sorry.

#13 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I tried Armour with no remarkably effects. I think for the moment I will stick to reduce soy and also a bit also brassica vegetables which are also goitrogenic if not in moderation (cooking should remove their goitrogenic effect though). My TSH was always around 2, it must be really overdoing on soy foods.

Slowly titrate (double the dose every month) iodine up to 1mg-3mg/day that the Japs eat and it will deal with any goitrogen issues. Make sure to stay on the selenum when taking iodine as it is protective.

The cholesterol and LDL are near the optimal numbers for lowest all cause mortality.

The combination of the high calcium and albumin could suggest kidney issues developing.

The DHEA being extremely low and the estradiol being low suggests the pregnenolone steal or cortisol escape is occuring. Are you under a lot of stress? Craving sweets at night is indicative. Its also possible, but unlikely at the dose indicated, that you're taking too much DIM/I3C and oversupressing aromatase.

You're eating way too much Omega-6 as reflected in the extremely high LA. Reduce it to <4% of calories.

The palmitic acid and triglycerides are higher than optimal and suggest excess carbohydrate intake, so I would lower the carbs to a healthier level (30% of calories) where your fasting blood glucose should then decrease to a relatively optimal 93. Of much more concern to worry about is fasting insulin levels and post-prandial responses to meals. You may want to add some resistant starch to your diet to head off those future problems.

The DHA is relatively high and the AA is relatively low, so that suggests you actually need to eat more AA containing foods, not take more fish oil to offset the high triglycerides. Egg yolks would be the best source if you can tolerate them.

The Vitamin D levels are insufficient.

For the minerals which are relatively high (including mercury), I would get a toxic elements hair test from Doctor's Data and see what the dealio is. Serum levels are not indicative of long-term status or toxic load in tissues. In the meantime, look at organic Cilantro Heavy Metal Detox formulas for something more effective. It will loosen up toxics from tissues, but xanthan gum is what will bind and remove it. Its possible you're freeing up the mercury without binding and its causing kidney damage.

For the high homocysteine, I'd replace the B-complete with Swanson's High Bioavailability Activated B.

So basically, at first glance it appears as if you're spending too much time indoors eating a low protein, high carbohydrate, high toxic industrial seed oil, refined/processed/junk food diet while ingesting numerous supplements, but the supplements are gradually losing out to the onslaught.

Edited by MachineGhostX, 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM.

• like x 1

#14 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thank you MachineGhostX for having taken time to reply in details. I will go through your interesting comments.

#15 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

You didn't specify the range of Lp(a) but if it's 393 then this is something you would want to solve as soon as possible. (Lp(a) should be under 30 but if your measurements are different it's probably <300).
Knowing your age, this should be your priority right now.

I second what machineghost said, what is your omega6/3 ratio? It's probably too high given your results.

I have to say your ferritin levels are perfect, good job!

#16 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

High calcium can be a sign of hyperparathyroidism, might want to get PTH tested.
Perhaps you should increase your vitamin D a bit, to hit the optimal 50 ng/mL.
Are you getting enough calcium?

#17 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

The cholesterol and LDL are near the optimal numbers for lowest all cause mortality.

I am happy to read this. However, LP(a) is a concern which I am trying to address increasing niacin (500mg/d).

The combination of the high calcium and albumin could suggest kidney issues developing.

I am looking at this. By checking at 7 years historic I realize I run always on very similar values for both albumin and calcium even before I started to introduce changes in my diet and started supplementing. It looks something "natural" on me. I wonder what I can do to correct this.

The DHEA being extremely low and the estradiol being low suggests the pregnenolone steal or cortisol escape is occuring. Are you under a lot of stress? Craving sweets at night is indicative. Its also possible, but unlikely at the dose indicated, that you're taking too much DIM/I3C and oversupressing aromatase.

Interesting. Yes, stress might be a reason. I do stress at work and tend to be anxious, I am trying to have a different attitude though. E2 average over 7 years is 18.2 pg/mL (ref. 11-44), hence last value at 15.8 looks a bit low. I never heard of "cortisol escape" or "pregnelonone steal". Would appreciate if you could develop on this.

You're eating way too much Omega-6 as reflected in the extremely high LA. Reduce it to <4% of calories.

This is something I find very hard to understand. Something happened in my diet where I have a simultaneous and hard to understand change in both LA and Palmitic from 2010 to 2011. I am using EVOO quite liberally and cooking with organic colza oil (aka rapeseed oil) which has a reduced content of LA though (e.g. see HERE 13% and 9% resp. for colza/rapeseed and olive oils). I am trying in any case to moderate both saturated and unsaturated FFA intake and also limit nuts which I introduced recently and I might overeat before testing (see HERE for nuts nutritional content). Do you have an idea what I should limit or avoid to reduce LA?

I also listed in my full test link some relevant FFA ratios. I think they do not look that bad.

The palmitic acid and triglycerides are higher than optimal and suggest excess carbohydrate intake, so I would lower the carbs to a healthier level (30% of calories) where your fasting blood glucose should then decrease to a relatively optimal 93. Of much more concern to worry about is fasting insulin levels and post-prandial responses to meals. You may want to add some resistant starch to your diet to head off those future problems.

I am slightly increasing protein from whey isolate. Also introducing/testing chlorogenic acid (CoffeeGenic) supplement to limit postprandial insulin surge.

The DHA is relatively high and the AA is relatively low, so that suggests you actually need to eat more AA containing foods, not take more fish oil to offset the high triglycerides. Egg yolks would be the best source if you can tolerate them.

DHA is likely coming from eating fatty fish and very moderate fish oil supplementation. I normally eat 2-3 eggs yolks per week.

The Vitamin D levels are insufficient.

I have read many people recommending Vitamin D supplementation to reach serum 25[OH] Vit D level at least > 50 ng/mL and higher. Also here caution seems the best counselor.

This recent and large study finds a non linear decrease of mortality risk (with the increase of blood 25[OH] Vit D level) and concludes: “Data suggest a nonlinear decrease in mortality risk as circulating 25(OH)D increases, with optimal concentrations ∼75-87.5 nmol/L.” (equivalent to 30-35 ng/mL)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/22170374#

Of course, you also need to evaluate your own risks. E.g. for people as myself at increased risk of atrial fibrillation (genetically tested), very high 25[OH] Vit D levels seem not good at all. E.g. see the following recent (Dec 2011) study:

“Vitamin D Excess Is Significantly Associated with Risk of Atrial Fibrillation”
http://circ.ahajourn...bstracts/A14699

For the time being, I am happy to be in my ~30-40 ng/mL (which I seem achieving with a moderate supplementation)

For the minerals which are relatively high (including mercury), I would get a toxic elements hair test from Doctor's Data and see what the dealio is. Serum levels are not indicative of long-term status or toxic load in tissues. In the meantime, look at organic Cilantro Heavy Metal Detox formulas for something more effective. It will loosen up toxics from tissues, but xanthan gum is what will bind and remove it. Its possible you're freeing up the mercury without binding and its causing kidney damage.

I am using Cilantro (both fresh and as supplement). I have seen some ~15-20% reduction effect on elements hair analysis but never heard of xantham gum as binder. I will look at this too. What is the evidence of effect on mercury? Have you a study or something? Do other compounds have a similar effect not to introduce something totally new?

For the high homocysteine, I'd replace the B-complete with Swanson's High Bioavailability Activated B.

I am very cautious with over RDA of folate for possible increase of prostate cancer risk which is one of my other concerns.

#18 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

You didn't specify the range of Lp(a) but if it's 393 then this is something you would want to solve as soon as possible. (Lp(a) should be under 30 but if your measurements are different it's probably <300).
Knowing your age, this should be your priority right now.

I second what machineghost said, what is your omega6/3 ratio? It's probably too high given your results.

I have to say your ferritin levels are perfect, good job!

Thank you for your input RENFR.

The range is in the URL I posted (0-300 for my lab). Hence 393 is too high. I am increasing niacin to 500mg/d but do not feel to use more for the time being and before re-testing including liver enzymes.

Also the ratio omega6/3 is listed in the URL: 2.7

High calcium can be a sign of hyperparathyroidism, might want to get PTH tested.

Thank you RWAC for your input. I have some issue with the optimal 50 ng/mL. See my comments in the reply to MachineGhostX's post. I know LEF is promoting that. Do we have a good consensus supporting that value? I am also moderately eating low fat cheese and yogurt in the morning.

Edited by albedo, 08 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#19 markymark

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Despite of the normal free thyroid hormones, the TSH > 4 might indicate hypothyroidism. If you experience any clinical signs of hypothyroidism, you could let an experienced have a look on that... TPO antibodies....?
MM

#20 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thank you RWAC for your input. I have some issue with the optimal 50 ng/mL. See my comments in the reply to MachineGhostX's post. I know LEF is promoting that. Do we have a good consensus supporting that value? I am also moderately eating low fat cheese and yogurt in the morning.

I'm only saying that if your PTH is also elevated, you might want to increase your vit D levels.

Despite of the normal free thyroid hormones, the TSH > 4 might indicate hypothyroidism. If you experience any clinical signs of hypothyroidism, you could let an experienced have a look on that... TPO antibodies....?
MM

Yes, TSH = 4 seems higher than it should be. Perhaps you cut out that soy entirely.

#21 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

... Were the blood samples drawn fasting, or having eaten?

Not clear if your fasting included not taking your usual supplements. Only mention it because your albumine level looks borderline high and I got a result like that myself a few times until I realized that taking any kind of fiber during fasting was the cause.

Howard

#22 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

... Were the blood samples drawn fasting, or having eaten?

Not clear if your fasting included not taking your usual supplements. Only mention it because your albumine level looks borderline high and I got a result like that myself a few times until I realized that taking any kind of fiber during fasting was the cause.

Howard

Thank you Howard. I must have taken supplements 12 hours at min before the fasting tests in the morning (in the evening I normally take with meals Vit D, RYR, magnesium, 1/2 prostate formula, 1/2 Zyflamend and the 1/2 CR mimetic (Resveratrol), see my list)

#23 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

....The blood glucose at 100 is troublesome if it is the fasting level, borders on pre-diabetes. That too can benefit from semi-vegetarian diet, and from skipping desert: avoid anything with fructose or sucrose, unless it is fruit, and then in moderation. Berries are better than large over-bred and overly sweet fruit. This might help, if you are not already doing such.

But metabolic syndrome, (high blood sugar progressing to diabetes type 2, and increasingly bad blood lipid levels) is increasingly common as we age, and may be partly due to unavoidable environmental factors as well as the diet of industrial civilization....

I could not get metformin (yet?) but reading about berberine which looks also having positive impact. Thank you for all your inputs:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18442638

#24 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

LEF Copper 2mg (2/7)

I'm curious to know the rationale for copper supplementation.

"2/7" - so you take it 2 days/ week?

#25 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

....The blood glucose at 100 is troublesome if it is the fasting level, borders on pre-diabetes. That too can benefit from semi-vegetarian diet, and from skipping desert: avoid anything with fructose or sucrose, unless it is fruit, and then in moderation. Berries are better than large over-bred and overly sweet fruit. This might help, if you are not already doing such.

But metabolic syndrome, (high blood sugar progressing to diabetes type 2, and increasingly bad blood lipid levels) is increasingly common as we age, and may be partly due to unavoidable environmental factors as well as the diet of industrial civilization....

I could not get metformin (yet?) but reading about berberine which looks also having positive impact. Thank you for all your inputs:

Also consider bitter melon (extracts that are standardized to 10 or 20% charantin) or magnolia bark (extracts standardized to 90 or 95% honokiol). These may work by agonizing PPAR-delta, improving mitochondrial efficiency. Resveratrol agonizes PPAR-alpha and gamma, not PPAR-delta, so it may be helpful, (as shown in many studies with diabetics, results have varied) but it does not affect PPAR-delta.

#26 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

Also consider bitter melon (extracts that are standardized to 10 or 20% charantin) or magnolia bark (extracts standardized to 90 or 95% honokiol). These may work by agonizing PPAR-delta, improving mitochondrial efficiency. Resveratrol agonizes PPAR-alpha and gamma, not PPAR-delta, so it may be helpful, (as shown in many studies with diabetics, results have varied) but it does not affect PPAR-delta.

With honokiol, I'm not entirely sure that it agonises PPAR-delta. I could only find studies showing a preference for PPAR-gamma. However honokiol has very atypical behaviour for a PPAR-gamma agonist, in that it isn't an obesogen and actually impedes weight gain & accumulation of visceral fat (e.g., with mice on a high fat diet). Are you surmising honokiol has PPAR-delta agonising activity based on it's behaviour in vivo?

Edited by blood, 04 December 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#27 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

With honokiol, I'm not entirely sure that it agonises PPAR-delta. I could only find studies showing a preference for PPAR-gamma. However honokiol has very atypical behaviour for a PPAR-gamma agonist, in that it isn't an obesogen and actually impedes weight gain & accumulation of visceral fat (e.g., with mice on a high fat diet). Are you surmising honokiol has PPAR-delta agonising activity based on it's behaviour in vivo?

There was a chinese paper recently claiming honokiol has PPAR-delta agonising activity. I would have to search for the reference, but that's why I included it. AFAIK, PPAR-gamma tends to prevent weigh gain and lipogenesis, whereas PPAR-alpha causes lipogenesis and weight gain. FWIW, resveratrol agonizes both PPAR-alpha and PPAR-delta. I surmise the balance of the action is dependent on dose (or perhaps other factors) , which would explain the sometimes contradictory results reported for this often-studied substance. Most PPAR-gamma agonists also affect PPAR-alpha.

Based on my self-experimentation, I believe bitter melon is more effective than honokiol for our purposes, but Micardis beats both of them for PPAR-delta agonism.
Whether this will make you live longer is an open question.

#28 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

LEF Copper 2mg (2/7)

I'm curious to know the rationale for copper supplementation.

"2/7" - so you take it 2 days/ week?

Yes Blood, that is it: 2x per week to balance with zinz 1x evey two days. I wonder if I should increase it a little (was sligthly outside norm on the low side) or reduce the zinc.

#29 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thank you. LEF carries this supplement - I always try to consolidate in one shipment possibly from the same source to save on shipping costs:
http://www.lef.org/V...tter-Melon.html
I wonder if you have a take on it as it looks not standardized. I might give it a try prior to the next test. I really wish to correct that fasting BG marginally high value (100, ref. 70-105) and hopefully bring down also A1C now at 5.5

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thank you. LEF carries this supplement - I always try to consolidate in one shipment possibly from the same source to save on shipping costs:
http://www.lef.org/V...tter-Melon.html
I wonder if you have a take on it as it looks not standardized. I might give it a try prior to the next test. I really wish to correct that fasting BG marginally high value (100, ref. 70-105) and hopefully bring down also A1C now at 5.5

Thumbs down. It is the dried fruit, ground to a powder. You would possible take half the bottle at a time for an effect. You want to look for an extract that is standardized to 10 or 20 percent charantin. It is at least 10 times more potent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hormones, dhea, tsh, soy, blood tests, lp(a), dislipedia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users