* * * * * 4 votes

Chronic dopamine deficiency, consistently disappearing during alcohol hangovers

dopamine deficiency alcohol hangover

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#361 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

ok thx. but what do u take folic acid for then? i thougth to recreate that feeling like the day after binge drinking..?

#362 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

ok thx. but what do u take folic acid for then? i thougth to recreate that feeling like the day after binge drinking..?

To raise dopamine levels and restart my methylation cycle likely altered by usig accutane.

Edited by Lufega, 05 February 2017 - 06:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#363 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

To raise dopamine levels and restart my methylation cycle likely altered by usig accutane.

tried folic acid and i also noticed better mood, like much  longer euphoric while listening to music in public.  and also was shopping for 2 hours, which i never do hmm.. placebo? i dont know...well see tomorrow.

also would love to split the 800 mg capsules. u think sublingual its works 2?

Edited by ThreeKings12341, 07 February 2017 - 09:25 PM.

#364 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

and lufega, what about the manganese thingy...? did it stop working?

#365 Hyperflux

• 122 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

Why does an etizolam hangover feel good, is it glutamate rebound?

• Ill informed x 1

#366 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

tried folic acid and i also noticed better mood, like much longer euphoric while listening to music in public. and also was shopping for 2 hours, which i never do hmm.. placebo? i dont know...well see tomorrow.

im only using 400 mcg. I tried 200 in the AM but my hands didnt get warm. I do wonder if the effect of a sublingual dose would be stronger. Do report back if you try it. The manganese experiment was many years ago. While it did have some effect, I was worried about the parkinsonism fears. Parkinson's runs in my family and I already have essential tremor.

One more observation to ad. I hit a plateau losing weight years ago and with folic acid the fat is literally melting off. Also, I was diagnosed with an ileocecal valve lipoma which caused LRQ pain 9/10 yet the gastro didnt remove it during a colonoscopy. Since I started folic acid, the pain has reduced to maybe 2/10 if I even feel it at all. I'm assuming the lipoma is melting away..

Edited by Lufega, 08 February 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#367 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

I'm taking 400ug of folic acid every day as part of B50 complex and find it useful for a bit more energy, but nothing huge. But this is together with B12, 50ug of cyanocobalamin. I may need to purchase only folic acid and try it alone.

By the way, I looked up accutane and it causes neuron death in hippocampus. Lufega, have you tried to regrow them using nsi-189 or substances that boost NDGF?

Edited by jack black, 08 February 2017 - 07:41 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#368 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:43 AM

Do you have research showing that folic acid increases dopamine? I don't think it does. Its main mechanisms of action and benefits come from its homocysteine lowering affect and its role in methylation( the right way).. Homocysteine inhibits histamines thus reducing it can increase histamine, which I believe is the main mechanism at play in us here. Histamine is one of the hardest things to increase. Taking precursors like histidine actually decreases it.

Edited by iseethelight, 10 February 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#369 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:53 AM

I'm taking 400ug of folic acid every day as part of B50 complex and find it useful for a bit more energy, but nothing huge. But this is together with B12, 50ug of cyanocobalamin. I may need to purchase only folic acid and try it alone.

By the way, I looked up accutane and it causes neuron death in hippocampus. Lufega, have you tried to regrow them using nsi-189 or substances that boost NDGF?

Yes you need to try folic acid alone. Combined with b12, it can overmethylate you in many cases and make you more depressed. B12 forces the folic acid to be used too much for methionine synthesis. Take it alone and get your b12 from foods..  

#370 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

it's on my list but a quick read about hippocampal neurogenesis and i'm very interested. Do you kmow any trusted sellers?

Do you have research showing that folic acid increases dopamine? I don't think it does. Its main mechanisms of action and benefits come from its homocysteine lowering affect and its role in methylation( the right way).. Homocysteine inhibits histamines thus reducing it can increase histamine, which I believe is the main mechanism at play in us here. Histamine is one of the hardest things to increase. Taking precursors like histidine actually decreases it.

Folic acid is needed to create BH4 from bh2 which is a cofactor for dopamine synthesis.

Yes you need to try folic acid alone. Combined with b12, it can overmethylate you in many cases and make you more depressed. B12 forces the folic acid to be used too much for methionine synthesis. Take it alone and get your b12 from foods..

That's actually what im doing. Folic acid alone and I feel great. Combined with any b12 and it hampers the effect. My serum b12 is always high without supplementing and methymalonic acid is normal so i'll just take it once a week just in case.

#371 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:07 AM

Folic acid is needed to create BH4 from bh2 which is a cofactor for dopamine synthesis.

BH4  also increases serotonin along with other neurotransmitters, and is actually more likely increase serotonin than dopamine. I don't think the benefits we get from the folic acid has anything to do with dopamine or serotonin. I've taken direct precursors of both neurotransmitters with the required cofactors and they've always worsened my depression. Alcohol releases  some dopamine while it's in your system but would put you in a low DA state during hangover, so it's not DA at play here unless maybe you had too high DA already and alcohols depleting it makes you feel better. I lean towards lower homocysteine  and its benefits plus higher histamine.. 

Edited by iseethelight, 10 February 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#372 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

I had some champagne and wine last night.  I was up early this morning and surprisingly productive.  I guess I got that feeling..

tried folic acid and i also noticed better mood, like much longer euphoric while listening to music in public. and also was shopping for 2 hours, which i never do hmm.. placebo? i dont know...well see tomorrow.

im only using 400 mcg. I tried 200 in the AM but my hands didnt get warm. I do wonder if the effect of a sublingual dose would be stronger. Do report back if you try it. The manganese experiment was many years ago. While it did have some effect, I was worried about the parkinsonism fears. Parkinson's runs in my family and I already have essential tremor.

One more observation to ad. I hit a plateau losing weight years ago and with folic acid the fat is literally melting off. Also, I was diagnosed with an ileocecal valve lipoma which caused LRQ pain 9/10 yet the gastro didnt remove it during a colonoscopy. Since I started folic acid, the pain has reduced to maybe 2/10 if I even feel it at all. I'm assuming the lipoma is melting away..

I want to retract the statement I said about folic acid facilitating weight loss.  While initially I saw a slimming effect, with continued use I actually starting putting on weight and fat so I've since stopped folic acid.  There was one study where folic acid improved adrenergic receptors mediated lipolysis.  However, another study said excess folic acid stimulate PPAR-gamma and lead to increased lipid storage, weight gain and fat tissue inflammation.  On the other hand, it did improve my cold intolerance and my comprehension and retention of material was better.  I would watch movies or read stuff and understand things I would have missed before.

• Informative x 1

#373 Cube

• 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

Hi Chadwick
It's been quite a while since your last post so i am very interested in seeing how you have progressed. Has detecting your 2 mthfr mutations 1298 and 677 helped?. Also have you found any new supps that standout in your situation?.

#374 Chadwick

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hi Chadwick
It's been quite a while since your last post so i am very interested in seeing how you have progressed. Has detecting your 2 mthfr mutations 1298 and 677 helped?. Also have you found any new supps that standout in your situation?.

Yes, I'm rarely here anymore. The main reason for this is that I've essentially solved my problem. Previously I've used methylfolate and B12 in various doses and I've now dropped the B12 completely and raised the methylfolate to 15 mg per day, taken all at once in the morning. This is the dose of methylfolate that is used in psychiatry when augmenting SSRI treatments. It's safe and without any noticeable side effects - except for headache during the first day that disappeared after that. 

It's very simple - only 15 mg of methylfolate and nothing else. I use Thorne 5-MTHF (methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt = methylfolate) 5 mg x 3. If you chose to try this, make sure you buy the calcium salt version and not the glucosamine salt version that's about 30% weaker.

This "protocol" is simpler and works better than all the other protocols I've tried so far - except for pure BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin) which is expensive, hard to get and temperature sensitive and therefore not very practical. 

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#375 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

Why no b12?

#376 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

Hi Chadwick

Yes, I'm rarely here anymore. The main reason for this is that I've essentially solved my problem. Previously I've used methylfolate and B12 in various doses and I've now dropped the B12 completely and raised the methylfolate to 15 mg per day, taken all at once in the morning. This is the dose of methylfolate that is used in psychiatry when augmenting SSRI treatments. It's safe and without any noticeable side effects - except for headache during the first day that disappeared after that. 

It's very simple - only 15 mg of methylfolate and nothing else. I use Thorne 5-MTHF (methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt = methylfolate) 5 mg x 3. If you chose to try this, make sure you buy the calcium salt version and not the glucosamine salt version that's about 30% weaker.

This "protocol" is simpler and works better than all the other protocols I've tried so far - except for pure BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin) which is expensive, hard to get and temperature sensitive and therefore not very practical. 

The thing with stuff like this is that while we may have the same reaction to alcohol but usually for different disorders.. Methylfolate at just 1mg /day makes me super depressed after a couple of days along with anger and irritation. I don't have any MTHFR, but Have COMT and MTRR mutations. Maybe I should try 15 folic acid?

Edited by iseethelight, 25 March 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#377 Chadwick

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

The thing with stuff like this is that while we may have the same reaction to alcohol but usually for different disorders.. Methylfolate at just 1mg /day makes me super depressed after a couple of days along with anger and irritation. I don't have any MTHFR, but Have COMT and MTRR mutations. Maybe I should try 15 folic acid?

Methylfolate taken at less than 5 mg seems to cause irritability unless it is taken with B12. However, larger doses, such as 15 mg than I personally take, does not seem to cause this issue. I'm not sure I can explain it, but I believe larger doses of methylfolate can "push through" the methyl block reaction that some lower levels of methylfolate can cause (where methylfolate induces a functional B12 deficiency). 

#378 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:09 AM

Chadwick

I've been following this very interesting thread. As far as I'm concerned, I've tried both methylB12 and methylfolate (i.e. Folapro) individually. I'm unsure whether methylB12 alone has any noticeable effect on my mood. However, I do quite well on methylfolate alone, even at 800 mcg/day. Meaning, it greatly benefits my mood without causing any irritability.  

#379 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

Methylfolate taken at less than 5 mg seems to cause irritability unless it is taken with B12. However, larger doses, such as 15 mg than I personally take, does not seem to cause this issue. I'm not sure I can explain it, but I believe larger doses of methylfolate can "push through" the methyl block reaction that some lower levels of methylfolate can cause (where methylfolate induces a functional B12 deficiency). 

Sorry I'm sensitive to methyl donors. 15mg methylfolate would wreck me. 

#380 Chadwick

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

That could have been a quote from me four months ago. I'm sensitive to methyl donors as well and often get headaches and mental fatigue combined with a nervous wired feeling. I've reacted this way when I've taken 5 mg methylfolate several times in the past as single doses. The first time I took 15 mg I reacted that way as well, but I keept taking it and the second day tI stopped reacting that way.

Methylfolate in high doses is registered under the drug name Deplin, which is used to treat depression. There were no apparent side effects noted in the toxicity studies done before registration, event though the populations should have been large enough to include a few people sensitive to methyl donors. I'm not sure why.

#381 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

That could have been a quote from me four months ago. I'm sensitive to methyl donors as well and often get headaches and mental fatigue combined with a nervous wired feeling. I've reacted this way when I've taken 5 mg methylfolate several times in the past as single doses. The first time I took 15 mg I reacted that way as well, but I keept taking it and the second day tI stopped reacting that way.

Methylfolate in high doses is registered under the drug name Deplin, which is used to treat depression. There were no apparent side effects noted in the toxicity studies done before registration, event though the populations should have been large enough to include a few people sensitive to methyl donors. I'm not sure why.

Unlike you, I don't have any MTHFR defects, but I have COMTs, MTRR, and CBS. I can only support methyl donors for a couple days before the side effects become unbearable. I get what is  called methyltrapping .

#382 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Unlike you, I don't have any MTHFR defects, but I have COMTs, MTRR, and CBS. I can only support methyl donors for a couple days before the side effects become unbearable. I get what is  called methyltrapping .

did u check those with 23andme?

#383 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

@chadwick,

I took your advice and started taking high dose folinic acid ( i can't tolerate methylfolate for long) ...So far I'm noticing some good results, only been a few hours since I took first 15 mg folinic acid dose. I will report back a week from now. This thread has been very helpful..

#384 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

I tried taking high does folinic without b12 and and it put me in a deep depression and terrible anxiety.. When I had 1mg of b12 to it however, it seems to be having a positive effect...

Edited by iseethelight, 19 May 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#385 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

Hey Chadwick. Methyl folate isn't doing anything to help so I was stuck on what to do. I started dr ken Gillmans algorithm for depression and have had a big improvement with 20mg lexapro and 75mg nortriptyline.

Is it possible that 15mg methylfolate might not do anything but if I used pure bh4 it would lead me into remission? Also, is there any risk of seretonon toxicity combining ssris and bh4?

Edited by Helllllo, 01 June 2017 - 04:09 AM.

#386 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hey Chadwick. Methyl folate isn't doing anything to help so I was stuck on what to do. I started dr ken Gillmans algorithm for depression and have had a big improvement with 20mg lexapro and 75mg nortriptyline.

Is it possible that 15mg methylfolate might not do anything but if I used pure bh4 it would lead me into remission? Also, is there any risk of seretonon toxicity combining ssris and bh4?

hi :)

would love to know what lexapro and escpecially notriptyline helped you for?

#387 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

Sure. The ssri will activate -HT1A, 5-HT1B, 5-HT2A, 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors and will boost dopamine. The nortriptyline will antagonise 5HT2A & 5HT2C and boost dopamine even further. I'm thinking of adding mementine or Wellbutrin to this combo.

#388 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:42 AM

Nortriptyline past 75mg is too anti-cholinergic. Feels horrible. Extreme fatigue, dry throat. 75mg is the sweet spot. If you can't get the combo from your doctor, just order it online. Look up ken gillmans ad algorithm for full details on how to use the combo.

#389 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:46 AM

BTW, I tried  both folininc, and methylfolate in high doses alone15mg+ and after a few days, made me super depressed and anxious (social anxiety), which I don't really suffer from. I'm now using just high dose folic acid and mb12. I will report back in a few weeks.

Edited by iseethelight, 05 June 2017 - 03:47 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#390 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

Nortriptyline past 75mg is too anti-cholinergic. Feels horrible. Extreme fatigue, dry throat. 75mg is the sweet spot. If you can't get the combo from your doctor, just order it online. Look up ken gillmans ad algorithm for full details on how to use the combo.

sorry hello .. because u are taking meds im interested in.. did u have emotional blunting before or  what exactly did u have before..?

BTW, I tried  both folininc, and methylfolate in high doses alone15mg+ and after a few days, made me super depressed and anxious (social anxiety), which I don't really suffer from. I'm now using just high dose folic acid and mb12. I will report back in a few weeks.

yes keep us updated pls :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, deficiency, alcohol, hangover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users