Chronic dopamine deficiency, consistently disappearing during alcohol hangovers

dopamine deficiency alcohol hangover

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#151 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

Has any of you tried one of the AMPAkines (sunifiram, unifiram) yet, or colouracetam? The latter is said to be effective for ADHD but my primary interest are the AMPAkines. Indeed they should be able to replicate this 'glutamate rebound' you are experiencing after alcohol, but without the drunken period and the headache.

I found sunifiram to be somewhat interesting but also speedy and it intensified my tension. But I seem to be a bit atypical in that I do need NMDA antagonism for cognition to flow easily - I get exactly that enormous improvement in cognitive, verbal and emotional fluency with NMDA antagonists (resulting in less NMDA and more AMPA activity).

Also dopamine is definitely a central mediator, but I really believe now that glutamate is just as essential. Maybe they are tightly coupled together too, I know yet too little about it all but there is some evidence. Dopamine does modulate and limit glutamate trafficking, this is a supposed mechanism for why antipsychotics lower the seizure threshold if I'm right (have to search the source if you're interested, I moved recently and am just on my travel notebook now). NMDA antagonism appears to disinhibit dopamine, and consequently will too much glutamate lead to little dopamine.

Methylphenidate has worked well for me, but only in combination with a mild NMDA antagonist (memantine - unfortunately it's hard to get a prescription for because of off-label) and it has some rough edges on the body. The currently RC-only cousin isopropylphenidate is miles better, if it's legal in your country, you might consider to give it a try.

Or, what I'm currently trying out myself is rasagiline, a MAO-B inhibitor that lowers the degradation of dopamine and phenethylamine. Am just on day 2 now, there is a definite improvement not unlike methylphenidate but completely without any body load or speediness - truly appreciable. It makes a nice synergy with tobacco and 2-fluoroamphetamine (low dose! it potentiates that).

#152 .Moose.

• 32 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

The activity of the NMDA channel is "greatly potentiated upon ethanol washout."  

This suggests to me that those of us who benefit most from a hangover may also benefit from supplements that enhance NMDA receptor function.  This is certainly true for me, as I find NAC and sarcosine indispensable.

Missed this before, great find!! i'll add these to the very long expensive list of things to try 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#153 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Among all neurotransmitters that I have studied - dopamine is by far the most complex to understand. Even being studied extensively.

I already tried a lot of things in practice - along with theory - to keep my "motivation" to do most of things. I expended most than 6 years doying that, and I will try to explain some things that I learned.

First of all - there are 4 receptors of dopamine (not counting subtypes) - and we know too little about them. Most of dopamine agonists binds to more than one receptor.

Second - we dont have receptors for dopamine only in CNS (central nervous system) - so their effects depends of "where" receptors are allocated. (I learned in the bad way - with pramipexole.)

Third - even in CNS there are different regions and most of drugs don't go exactly where we want, like nucleus accumbens (a region related to "pleasure center")

Fourth - dopaminergic system is "unstable" - what works now maybe wont work 4 weeks later.

Fifth - most of neurotransmitters (and theres a lot in our brain) like serotonin, norepinephrine, glutamate, GABA, glycine, acetylcholine, etc. interacts somehow with dopaminergics circuits - and they interact among themselves too (lol).

Sixth - dopamine reuptake in regions like prefrontal cortex is done by NAT (norepinephrine transporter) - thats why norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors can increase your sociability and improve cognitive functions.

So... I'd prefer interact with dopamine indirectly - but if you are going to do directly - you must understand the interaction between dopamine and others neurotransmitters - specially glutamate (NMDA/AMPA/metabotropic glutamate receptors).

Dopamine and Glutamate in Psychiatric Disorders - if you understand this book, you are in the right way.

http://pt.bookzz.org...k/543895/aaa4a8

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#154 .Moose.

• 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

So... I'd prefer interact with dopamine indirectly - but if you are going to do directly - you must understand the interaction between dopamine and others neurotransmitters - specially glutamate (NMDA/AMPA/metabotropic glutamate receptors).

Thank you, another informative post. I myself am learning slowly that whilst yes, this is very likely a dopamine issue, that is unfortunately almost as inconclusive as saying this is a brain issue. There is obviously still a lot more to be understood... Oh well, once more unto the breach

• like x 1

#155 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Well, I happen to find serotonin even much more complex than dopamine. (There isn't something like a non-complex neurobiological system, is it?) We have more than 10 sub receptors if I'm right and likely we still don't know about all. They just recently discovered the NMDA sub units and a third GABA receptor (rho- in the macula!). And these systems all over have huge differences between individuals based on genetics but also to a big part on our history, the brain is such a overly complex network that the way how the neurons and synapses are wired together also has huge effects, and this wiring is dynamic. Just as I type this, there are new synapses forming and old ones disconnecting.

But yeah, dopamine and glutamate are directly coupled (and NMDA & mu opioid receptors are as well, one mGluR subunit of NMDA & 5-HT2A etc..). I don't understand fully yet how, but they are. Remarkable is that they require each other, but are also limiting (for security reasons maybe). Without glutamate, dopamine doesn't work because for the excitation to happen you need glutamate. On the other side, too much glutamate can become neurotoxic by letting too many Ca2+ ions to enter the cells through NMDA. At least that's what I know nowadays..

Thanks for the book link, Reiher Allendi! Some new food for thought :)

Edited by dopamimetiq, 27 December 2015 - 11:41 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#156 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

About serotonin receptors, most of them aren't annoying after downregulation (most of them have bad effects). 5-HT1A is one of the goods. The biggest problem is the 5-HT2 (to be specific 5-HT2c) - because this one reduces dopamine in nucleus accumbens (pleasure center) - and that's one of causes that SSRI have sexual side effects.

I read the owner post again - Chad - if you feel better with alcohol then you must know that it interact with dopamine indirectly. Read about tianeptine - it's a serotonin reuptake enhancer (don't be confused with serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and it was recently discovery that is a weak mu opioid agonist (and modulator). Almost none side effects - I still take it. Talk with your doc and search about it.

#157 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Wow, this thread really exploded.  I need to spend some time catching up with what look like a lot of quality posts.

In the mean time, I wanted to check back in and report a major breakthrough I have had, perhaps my biggest yet: N-ACETYL GLUCOSAMINE. 

Long story short, I believe that my particular brand of adhd-pi is associated with brain inflammation and that this is one of the major causes of my cognitive dysfunction.  I have tried various anti-inflammatory supplements with tantalizing but inconsistent results.  I recently ran across some anecdotal reports citing success with n-acetyl glucosamine and stating that it is one of the best supplements for brain inflammation.  Well, bingo.

N-acetyl glucosamine is giving me the clarity of mind that I have been searching for.  It feels as though my cognition has been scrubbed clean, and my ability to absorb and recall information has improved dramatically.  My working memory is no longer atrocious and I feel like I have a much tidier "mental workspace."  I don't notice a large effect on mood, though it is much easier to be happy when my brain is working properly.

If these results hold, then this is a game-changer for me.  I strongly recommend that any of you struggling with cognitive issues give n-acetyl glucosamine a try.   

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#158 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

I went back and read through all the recent posts.  It's always nice to hear from others who share similar struggles and a drive to find a solution. 

Predictably, we're all over the place in terms of our theories and what has worked for us.  Dopamimetiq emphasizes NMDA antagonism, whereas I have had luck with agonists.  Others emphasize dopamine.  To make things more complicated, antagonism and agonism are not all that clear-cut since some receptor sub-types differ in their function (i.e. some are inhibitory), so antagonizing some may result in agonism of others, and vice versa.  For example, studies have shown a benefit for the NMDA receptor hypo-function of schizophrenia from both NMDA agonists (sarcosine, glycine, etc.) AND an NMDA antagonist (memantine).  Add all this to the fact that the different neurotransmitter systems are interconnected like some of you have pointed out and things just get hopelessly complicated.

I keep coming back to the central question of why our neurotransmitter systems are malfunctioning in the first place, and at least for me, inflammation seems to be key.  This is consistent with the research, as it is becoming more and more acknowledged that psychiatric disorders are associated with inflammation (sorry for no citations but easy to google or search on pubmed).  

I suspect that our focus on the different neurotransmitter systems and which receptors to agonize or antagonize may be a dead end, or at best a partial solution.  Maybe inflammation and immune response is the "unifying theory" so to speak.  Or maybe my response is idiosynchratic.  If nothing else, it is worth exploring.

As I noted previously, one supplement is now dominating my stack: n-acetyl glucosamine.  I have rarely experienced this kind of mental clarity, and it has been consistent for a week or so.  Here's hoping the dream-killer known as tolerance does not rear its head. 

Good luck to all, and please keep us updated with your experiences.   

Edited by Kingsley, 28 December 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#159 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:17 PM

Awesome news. Are you stacking it with anything else or just on its own?

#160 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

Awesome news. Are you stacking it with anything else or just on its own?

Just glycine, low dose methyl folate, and basic vitamins and minerals. I'll probably trial with and without sarcosine. Cutting NAC for the time being.

#161 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:01 AM

You should add some curcumin and flax seed oil in accordance to this protocol - http://forums.phoeni...plements.18369/

Was wondering whether you'd still suggest adding nac and sarcosine to the stack. Has it helped you immensely? How much of your symptoms has alleviated? Dexampetamine isnelp

#162 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

Accidentally pressed reply and can't edit. Was prescribed Dexampetamine and its helping alleviate the symptoms at about 30%. Think it's just as much dopamine as it is nmda. As much as it's helping, I'm a little worried about becoming over reliant on it. Was put on an ssri too but considering dropping it.

#163 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

You should add some curcumin and flax seed oil in accordance to this protocol - http://forums.phoeni...plements.18369/

Was wondering whether you'd still suggest adding nac and sarcosine to the stack. Has it helped you immensely? How much of your symptoms has alleviated? Dexampetamine isnelp

I have some curcumin and may add it as well and see if it makes a difference.  I also take fish oil for the omega 3's.

Here's the thing with NAC.  In the beginning I noticed a large benefit from it, whereas now I tend to find it a bit dulling.  I suspect that I have gotten my glutathione levels up and probably need much less NAC for that purpose now.  Plus, too much NAC can actually blunt glutamate for various reasons.  Many people love it for that reason but it is not a great fit for me.  So, NAC can be a bit of a double-edged sword but I still consider it a top supplement.

As for Sarcosine, I need to do some experimenting and see how much I am benefitting from it these days after the progress I have made.  I have always found sarcosine to have a subtle but significant brightening effect and have found it particularly helpful with social interaction.  People rarely report dramatic effects from sarcosine though it is helpful to some. 

So long story short I always suggest that one try NAC and/or sarcosine if they suspect NMDA receptor dysfunction, though the response is very individual.  If nothing else they are safe and relatively cheap to try.

I also take Vyvanse, which is basically fancy dexamphetamine, on weekdays to help me at work.  I think that you are right and that dex does cause some NMDA agonism along with dopamine, though I find it helpful less for cognition and more for motivation and mood.  As for becoming reliant on it, this is certainly a possibility and is probably the case for me.  It would probably be hard for me to function optimally at work without it.  But, that's not the end of the world.  

#164 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

Wow, this thread really exploded.  I need to spend some time catching up with what look like a lot of quality posts.

In the mean time, I wanted to check back in and report a major breakthrough I have had, perhaps my biggest yet: N-ACETYL GLUCOSAMINE. 

Long story short, I believe that my particular brand of adhd-pi is associated with brain inflammation and that this is one of the major causes of my cognitive dysfunction.  I have tried various anti-inflammatory supplements with tantalizing but inconsistent results.  I recently ran across some anecdotal reports citing success with n-acetyl glucosamine and stating that it is one of the best supplements for brain inflammation.  Well, bingo.

N-acetyl glucosamine is giving me the clarity of mind that I have been searching for.  It feels as though my cognition has been scrubbed clean, and my ability to absorb and recall information has improved dramatically.  My working memory is no longer atrocious and I feel like I have a much tidier "mental workspace."  I don't notice a large effect on mood, though it is much easier to be happy when my brain is working properly.

If these results hold, then this is a game-changer for me.  I strongly recommend that any of you struggling with cognitive issues give n-acetyl glucosamine a try.   

Yes, recently I had the same conclusion as you about the relationship of inflammatory response and cognitive processes. For me, I was searching not only the cognitive disfunction that inflammatory conditions can do, but mood disorders too. A lot of antidepressants (but not all) have antiinflammatory effects - and I can see in practice, not only theory. Even my acnes in skin of my face have been reduced.
Unfortunally - because of my condition (mood disorder) - I can't mix too much drugs, supplements and herbal meds. Not only because of interaction between then, toxicity -almost everything is toxic at some point- but because of price$. Well, but I've tried a lot of them, and I learned a lot with them.

(1) I went back and read through all the recent posts.  It's always nice to hear from others who share similar struggles and a drive to find a solution. 

(2) Predictably, we're all over the place in terms of our theories and what has worked for us.  Dopamimetiq emphasizes NMDA antagonism, whereas I have had luck with agonists.  Others emphasize dopamine.  To make things more complicated, antagonism and agonism are not all that clear-cut since some receptor sub-types differ in their function (i.e. some are inhibitory), so antagonizing some may result in agonism of others, and vice versa.  For example, studies have shown a benefit for the NMDA receptor hypo-function of schizophrenia from both NMDA agonists (sarcosine, glycine, etc.) AND an NMDA antagonist (memantine).  Add all this to the fact that the different neurotransmitter systems are interconnected like some of you have pointed out and things just get hopelessly complicated.

(3) I keep coming back to the central question of why our neurotransmitter systems are malfunctioning in the first place, and at least for me, inflammation seems to be key.  This is consistent with the research, as it is becoming more and more acknowledged that psychiatric disorders are associated with inflammation (sorry for no citations but easy to google or search on pubmed).  

I suspect that our focus on the different neurotransmitter systems and which receptors to agonize or antagonize may be a dead end, or at best a partial solution.  Maybe inflammation and immune response is the "unifying theory" so to speak.  Or maybe my response is idiosynchratic.  If nothing else, it is worth exploring.

As I noted previously, one supplement is now dominating my stack: n-acetyl glucosamine.  I have rarely experienced this kind of mental clarity, and it has been consistent for a week or so.  Here's hoping the dream-killer known as tolerance does not rear its head. 

(4) Good luck to all, and please keep us updated with your experiences.   

1. Yes. I just have two options - keep trying to get things right or better or just live with all that shit. I'd prefer the first one.

2. Maybe that's because NMDA agonism can down-regulate NMDA function (like NMDA antagonism can up-regulate it, as we can see in alcoholism, especially in a condition called delirium tremens). Sometimes isn't about agonism or antagonism, it's about modulation. As far I can know, most of times, NMDA is the villain and AMPA is the good guy. NMDA receptor overfunction is associated with apoptosis of neurons by excitotoxicity (but of course, we can't just shutdown the receptor - it's necessary for cognitive functions - just check about PCP and ketamine)

But... you are right - what matters is if work for us. Theory will just help to reach the right answer faster. Or a better option among all you have.

3. I don't know if you heard about a condition named Huntington's disease. If not, read a little about it (it's a neurodegenerative disease). Since there's not cure, the last resource for these people is to delay these symptoms. I've found a site with a good source of information, talking about things that I already read a lot. It was there that I finally discovered why Omega 3 Fatty Acids could be helpful in depression (yes, they have antiinflammatory function). I dont want to talk too much, specially because english isn't my main language (its hard to adapt my sentences).

4. Thanks. Your entusiasm is making me talk about these things. Usually I just keep collecting informations in forums. Time to return the favor.

(    Just glycine, low dose methyl folate, and basic vitamins and minerals. I'll probably trial with and without sarcosine. Cutting NAC for the time being.   )

The good thing about these supplements is the fact they won't have side effects mostly.

(         Accidentally pressed reply and can't edit. Was prescribed Dexampetamine and its helping alleviate the symptoms at about 30%. Think it's just as much dopamine as it is nmda. As much as it's helping, I'm a little worried about becoming over reliant on it. Was put on an ssri too but considering dropping it.    )

Among other things, I took lisdexamfetamine (vyvanse 70mg) with memantine (heimer 10mg) to low it's side effects. Theres poor evidance that memantine can block the development of tolerance, but it's a fact that NMDA receptor is involved with it, and ketamine actually can do it. Well, too tired to search about it right now. If you guys want to do it use keywords like "tolerance", "NMDA", "amphetamine", etc... in pubmed.org (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed).

Later I will read these other posts and maybe answer them. Maybe we can share more useful informations and experiences.

#165 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:40 AM

I almost forgot. Kingsley, read about inflammation here: http://web.stanford....g-by-mechanism/

I can figure out why inflammation is related to our condition - a chronic inflammatory response - that should help our body against biologic threat - usually damage more than protect. All body functions interact at some level among each other. The term psiconeuroimmunoendocrinology isn't big just to be. Psico (mind) neuro (nervous system) immuno (immunology - inflammation is a immune response) endocrino (hormonal function) logy (study?!).

So, yes, isn't just the interaction between neurotransmitters and receptors. Oh shit!

#166 Apprentice_Bob

• 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:34 AM

God, it's so nice to find others who feel the same way. Although, it's disheartening to see that we haven't yet figured out if there is a solution, or if this is in fact a problem, not just a boost given to us by alcohol hangovers.

Anyway, one of my most difficult problems comes with interacting with family members and friends after the effect has passed. 

#167 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

Among other things, I took lisdexamfetamine (vyvanse 70mg) with memantine (heimer 10mg) to low it's side effects. Theres poor evidance that memantine can block the development of tolerance, but it's a fact that NMDA receptor is involved with it, and ketamine actually can do it. 

Memantine does work, I took it for more than three years altogether and it worked really well to keep tolerance to methylphenidate (and others) down. But 10mg/d might be too less, I've been on 30mg/d but I appear to have a bit of over-active NMDA, so maybe 20mg/d. 

Dextromethorphan does work too but unfortunately it's a strong SNRI and the norepinephrine part can be too much load for the cardiovascular system when taken together with a stimulant. Low dosages (<60mg) appear to be safe though, in this range it does only inhibit SERT.

#168 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

like NMDA antagonism can up-regulate it, as we can see in alcoholism, especially in a condition called delirium tremens). Sometimes isn't about agonism or antagonism, it's about modulation. As far I can know, most of times, NMDA is the villain and AMPA is the good guy.

Do you have sources for the NMDA up regulation in alcoholics & delirium tremens? Would make sense, but I've always thought it's more about GABA - probably both. GABA needs long time to regulate and NMDA appears to be very fast-acting. 

Yeah, I do think too about AMPA being the yin and NMDA the yang. We need both, but pushing AMPA for NMDA usually leads to good effects (also they are both involved in memory formation / long term potentiation and somehow the bigger the ratio of AMPA:NMDA the easier you learn- on the other side, too much NMDA activity leads to 'background noise', stress, impulse control disorder etc. even borderline personality has been attributed to NMDA dysfunction - can post the source later if anybody's interested).

Remarkable that all the currently available AMPA antagonists / negative modulators- anti-epileptics for some more rare kinds of seizures- have scary side effects listed like homicidal ideation and violence. This too supports that theory.

Appears that dopamine, especially D2, is kind of a safety net against too much glutamate (one more reason why antipsychotics can be bad, and might be an explanation why dopamine agonism can be sedating- but this also involves norepinephrine). Acute excitotoxicity doesn't appear to happen readily in humans though unless some severe condition like hypoxia is involved. But we have more 'subtle' mental / emotional effects of glutamate of course.

Edited by dopamimetiq, 30 December 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#169 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

. . .

1. Maybe that's because NMDA agonism can down-regulate NMDA function (like NMDA antagonism can up-regulate it, as we can see in alcoholism, especially in a condition called delirium tremens). Sometimes isn't about agonism or antagonism, it's about modulation. As far I can know, most of times, NMDA is the villain and AMPA is the good guy. NMDA receptor overfunction is associated with apoptosis of neurons by excitotoxicity (but of course, we can't just shutdown the receptor - it's necessary for cognitive functions - just check about PCP and ketamine)
But... you are right - what matters is if work for us. Theory will just help to reach the right answer faster. Or a better option among all you have.

2. I don't know if you heard about a condition named Huntington's disease. If not, read a little about it (it's a neurodegenerative disease). Since there's not cure, the last resource for these people is to delay these symptoms. I've found a site with a good source of information, talking about things that I already read a lot. It was there that I finally discovered why Omega 3 Fatty Acids could be helpful in depression (yes, they have antiinflammatory function). I dont want to talk too much, specially because english isn't my main language (its hard to adapt my sentences).

3. Thanks. Your entusiasm is making me talk about these things. Usually I just keep collecting informations in forums. Time to return the favor.

4. Among other things, I took lisdexamfetamine (vyvanse 70mg) with memantine (heimer 10mg) to low it's side effects. Theres poor evidance that memantine can block the development of tolerance, but it's a fact that NMDA receptor is involved with it, and ketamine actually can do it. Well, too tired to search about it right now. If you guys want to do it use keywords like "tolerance", "NMDA", "amphetamine", etc... in pubmed.org (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed).

I'm gonna copy your method of numbering and responding to different parts of a post . . .

1. Interesting point about AMPA being a better target than NMDA. I believe Dopamimetiq echoes this point as well. I'd like to try some heavier-duty ampakines. I have tried piracetam and aniracetam with some benefit but nothing dramatic. Actually, piracetam has anti-inflammatory effects and some have speculated that part of its benefit may come from treating neuro-inflammation, and this may go for the other racetams as well (too lazy to track down citations but can provide upon request).

2. First of all, your English is fine, and you come across completely fluent if perhaps with a trace of an accent here and there : ). It is unclear to me whether you are implying that you yourself have Huntington's or whether you simply got information from the site. If so then god bless. I am quite familiar with it as it runs in my grandfather's family and I have seen what the advance stages look like. Thankfully my grandfather was tested and does not have the gene, so I appear to be in the clear. My other grandpa's family, on the other hand, seems to have a recurring pattern of add/schizophrenia/bi-polar, and I think that is where I inherit my issues, though I'm merely add.

Also, I am aware of the anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil but have not noticed a subjective cognitive benefit from it like I have with other anti-inflammatories. The ones that tend to work the best for me tend to be ones that are good at crossing the blood brain barrier, like n-acetyl glucosamine. I have also had a strong response to quercetin and Longvida curcumin (specially formulated for bioavailability and crossing BBB), though the n-acetyl glucosamine feels cleaner somehow and more consistent.

3. I'm the same way. It is always nice to find a thread like this one with a lot of vitality where it actually pays to participate.

4. I have a bunch of memantine that I have not yet tried, though I would like to in the future. I have read many, many anecdotal reports where people swear by it for minimizing tolerance to amphetamines as well as other benefits. I would like to try it in the near future.

Edited by Kingsley, 30 December 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#170 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

God, it's so nice to find others who feel the same way. Although, it's disheartening to see that we haven't yet figured out if there is a solution, or if this is in fact a problem, not just a boost given to us by alcohol hangovers.

Anyway, one of my most difficult problems comes with interacting with family members and friends after the effect has passed. 

Totally agree on your second point.  It has always been a source of embarrassment for me that I'll be really "on" and impress people one day (either via alcohol effect or other sources of mental boost) and then the next day I'll return to my slow and bumbling self.  I always wonder if people notice and it has caused me anxiety in the past.

As to your first point, I am skeptical whether we will find a solution that is common to all of us, though I still have to wonder if you guys would benefit as I have from an anti-inflammatory approach.  I have to emphasize though that most anti-inflammatories will not be effective for brain inflammation.  It must be one that can effectively cross the blood-brain barrier. 

#171 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

Do you have sources for the NMDA up regulation in alcoholics & delirium tremens? Would make sense, but I've always thought it's more about GABA - probably both. GABA needs long time to regulate and NMDA appears to be very fast-acting. 

Yeah, I do think too about AMPA being the yin and NMDA the yang. We need both, but pushing AMPA for NMDA usually leads to good effects (also they are both involved in memory formation / long term potentiation and somehow the bigger the ratio of AMPA:NMDA the easier you learn- on the other side, too much NMDA activity leads to 'background noise', stress, impulse control disorder etc. even borderline personality has been attributed to NMDA dysfunction - can post the source later if anybody's interested).

Here is a good discussion of the NMDA receptor up-regulation caused by alcohol:  http://www.ncbi.nlm..../books/NBK5284/.

Have you had significant success with AMPA stimulation?  Which supplements?  Any consistent results?

#172 .Moose.

• 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, great to see the topic active with useful stuff and similar experiences.

On Kingsley's cue, I started reading about inflammation and really it seems it could be related to everything - I agree that it has the potential to be the unifying factor as there are studies tying it to ADHD, depression, anxiety, alcohol/ hangovers, BH4 supplementation, methyl donors, relevant NDMA signalling - just to name a few.

I had my first dose of n-acetyl glucosamine tonight without incident but will run with it for a while and report back...

Edited by MH Moose, 31 December 2015 - 02:20 AM.

#173 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

NeuroNootropic:

Interestingly, I tried Life Extension brand methylfolate a while back, and I distinctly recall feeling that it was less effective than other brands that I had tried.  Why this would be, I am not sure.  Poor quality perhaps?  I don't think the amount of "elemental" folate would be any different between two equivalent doses of quatrefolic.

The other experiences you describe appear consistent with my own experiences.  I find that modest doses of methylfolate and methylcobalamin can be beneficial in terms of mood and cognition, but after a certain threshold my mood and energy take a nose dive.  I tend to think it is due to excess SAM-E overdriving the COMT enzyme and breaking down too much dopamine and norepinephrine in the prefrontal cortex, though I can't say for sure.  It appears that moderation is key for benefitting from methyl donors, at least for some people. 

I think personal experimentation is key, and I question how constructive it is to get too hung up on labels like "undermethylator" vs. "overmethylator" that you see bandied around by the so-called methylation authorities (like Amy Yasko) out there on the internet.    

I don’t know too much about SAM-e and COMT relationship (don’t know too much about them too) but I did a search and I’ve found something for you:

“S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM-e), functions as a primary methyl group donor for several metabolic compounds. Since SAM-e is involved in several metabolic processes, its administration may have a role in the amelioration of several disorders. In addition, SAM-e increases catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) enzyme activity, which may ameliorate aggressive symptoms in certain patients.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18824331

You are right, SAM-e can decrease norepinephrine, epinephrine and dopamine through COMT, but it’s used for many reactions, including “phenylethanolamine n-methyltransferase” (that converts norepinephrine to epinephrine) – so here may balance the loss of epinephrine by COMT but it “double” the loss of norepinephrine (which we know that’s involved in mood disorders like depression). And since COMT can breakdown dopamine – and dopamine is used to convert into norepinephrine, it’s going to be a “triple” loss of noradrenergic tonus. Too much norepinephrine and you will get anxiety by overactive sympathetic nervous system (SNS) something that’s know to impair your cognitive functions (like executive one). Too less and you won’t maintain alertness and arousal.

MTHFR - A gene involved in producing the active form of folate, which is needed to make several neurotransmitters.
Rs1801133 aka C677T. C is good to have, T is bad.
Rs1801131 aka A1298C. A is good, T is bad.

DHFR - Another gene involved in folate metabolism AND BH4 recycling. Not quite as important but still relevant. It's not know which SNPs are important here. Personally I'm homozygous Rs1650697 which is somewhat uncommon. C is good to have here, and T is bad.

GCH1 - Involved directly in BH4 synthesis. Many SNPs that are important, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/GCH1.

PCBD1 - Involved in BH4 synthesis. Many SNPs, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/PCBD1.

PTS - Involved in BH4 synthesis. Many SNPs, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/PTS.

1. QDPR (aka DHPR) - Involved in BH4 synthesis. This enzymes uses NADH, which I believe is the reason that NADH can raise BH4. Many SNPs, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/QDPR.

SPR - Involved in BH4 synthesis. Many SNPs, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/SPR.

TH (tyrosine hydroxylase) - Converts tyrosine to L-DOPA, which then is used to make dopamine. TH is an iron-containing enzyme, which is the reason that iron deficiency can lead to lower dopamine levels. Many importants SNPs, see http://snpedia.com/index.php/TH

DDC (aka AADC, dopa decarboxylase) - Turns L-DOPA into dopamine, and 5-HTP into serotonin. Several important SNPs, see http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/DDC.

COMT - Breaks down dopamine and other neurotransmitters.
Rs4680 aka the warrior/worrier SNP. The Met version (A) will give you lower COMT activity and therefore more dopamine. This will lead to higher pleasure response and higher extraversion, but also lower threshold for stress. The Val version (G) will give you higher COMT activity and therefore less dopamine. This will lead to lower pleasure response, lower extraversion but also higher threshold for stress. Val will make you calm and collected while Met will make you motivated and outgoing.

MAO - Breaks down dopamine and several other neurotransmitters.
Rs6323 - G will lead to higher enzyme activity and lower dopamine, and T to lower activity and higher dopamine.

DAT (aka SLC6A3, dopamine transporter) - removes dopamine from the synapse so it can't bind its receptors.
Rs27072 is onvolved in alcohol withdrawal as well as ADHD. C increases risk for ADHD and alcohol withdrawal, T lowers it.

DRD1 (dopamine receptor D1) - Involved in neuronal development and various behavioural responses. Several semi-important SNPs, see http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/DRD1.

DRD2 (dopamine receptor D2) - Involved in social functioning, extraversion and social status. Low D2 binding correlate with social phobia.
Rs1800497 aka Taq1a polymorphism. C is good to have, T is bad.

DRD3 (dopamine receptor D3) - Low activation is involved in cognitive problems and depression. See http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/DRD3.

DRD4 (dopamine receptor D4) - Links to lots of psychiatric conditions, including ADHD.
Rs1800955 is linked to personality. T is the normal variant, and C increases novelty seeking.

DRD5 (dopamine receptor D5)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRD5 - Not sure if it's involved in anything unique. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRD5.

If you're main focus is how low dopamine connects to social phobia or lack of social drive/motivation, I believe that MTHFR, DHFR, MAO, COMT and DRD2 are the most important. And yeah - I personally have bad versions of them all. ;)

If you wanna do more reading I suggest this article. Also if you want pictures explaining the reactions connecting folate metabolism with BH4 and dopamine, you can check this out. :)

Hi Chadwick,

I am a 35 year old male who feels lack of motivation (low dopamine?) despite being very motivated in the past.

I have searched through my Promethease report for these SNPs you mentioned and found only 3:

rs1801131(C;C) - MTHFR (good).

rs27072(C;C) - DAT - remove dopamine the sybaose so it can't bind its receptors
rs1800497(C;T) - DRD2 - social functioning, extraversion and social status

2. What kind of supplementation would you recommend?

1. I just don’t know nothing about it, but I did some research too. I don’t know how I get into this post, since I don’t have hangover benefits, but maybe I can help a little. First of all, if you guys have some benefit from HANGOVER instead of drunkenness we have to understand what’s going on in this situation.

Pathophysiology

Alcohol flush reaction as a result of the accumulation of acetaldehyde, the first metabolite of alcohol

After being ingested, ethanol is first converted to acetaldehyde by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase and then to acetic acid by oxidation process. These reactions also convert nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) to its reduced form NADH in a redox reaction. By causing an imbalance of the NAD+/NADH redox system, alcoholic beverages make normal bodily functions more difficult. Consequences of the alcohol induced redox changes in the human body include increased triglyceride production, increased amino acid catabolism, inhibition of the citric acid cycle, lactic acidosis, ketoacidosis, hyperuricemia, disturbance in cortisol and androgen metabolism and increased fibrogenesis.The metabolism of glucose and insulin are also influenced.[9] However, recent studies showed no significant correlation between hangover severity and the concentrations of various hormones, electrolytes, free fatty acids, triglycerides, lactate, ketone bodies, cortisol, and glucose in blood and urine samples.[3]

Alcohol also induces the CYP2E1 enzyme, which metabolizes ethanol and other substances into more reactive toxins. In particular, in binge drinking the enzyme is activated and plays a role in creating a harmful condition known as oxidative stress which can lead to cell death.[10]

So “ethanol” first is transformed to “acetaldehyde” by “alcohol dehydrogenase” (ADH).

wtf is ADH?

Alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH) (EC 1.1.1.1) are a group of dehydrogenase enzymes that occur in many organisms and facilitate the interconversion between alcohols and aldehydes or ketones with the reduction of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+ to NADH).

RH2 + NAD+ → NADH + H+ + R;

I won’t go futher, I think these informations will - hopefully - give you some clues.

https://en.wikipedia...ns_and_symptoms

2. You should give more information for us to make easier to help. But, I’m going to recommend you something to start – C4 Extreme from Cellucor. It’s not cheap, but if you want to be sure about your “dopamine” statement, you should try it. If you need I’ll explain why I’d recommend it.

I really feel for you and can strongly relate to almost every single symptom you describe: ADHD-PI diagnosis, dysphoria, lethargy, bad short-term memory, rigidity/awkwardness, "cognitively fried," significant cognitive boost from alcohol consumption, trouble with eye contact, the feeling that all this does not reflect who you really are, ALL OF IT.  One minor difference is that where you experience dysphoria from dexamphetamine, I experience a marked mood boost.  In any event, it does not sound like a dopamine issue.

Me too - especially the emotional things, rigidity and social anxiety but also lethargy, chronic dysphoria and restlessness (this is awful when you're tired at the same time), also have inattentive adult ADD diagnosed ... but the strange thing is that I get great relief from NMDA antagonists. Sometimes that antidepressant afterglow ketamine has become so famous for works, but usually it's really that I feel just better while actually being on the dissociative. So I heavily suspect a NMDA dysfunction too, but with overactive and/or too many receptors. 

I've tried AMPAkines, both sunifiram and unifiram, despite that uni is said to be gentler, I found the suni to be better but both were intensifying the tension and somewhat speedy. So more AMPA activity is a part (antagonizing NMDA actually leads to more glutamate output, I suspect because of auto receptor antagonism, and this glutamate will then preferably bind to the AMPAR's which aren't blocked) but less NMDA is more crucial.

Currently I'm using ketamine daily (threshold dosages, 2-3x 10mg's or so). This is not sustainable, because of laws and money, but I also fear of tolerance and long-term toxicity. 

We really are in the dark ages of mental health in some ways. 

This is so sad and so true. We have this very promising riluzole out there for example, but getting a script for it is impossible despite of a shitload of well done studies. The same for ketamine. And I have one of the best doctors in town, next to all my other experiences were disappointing to say the least. I've heard repeatedly that taking memantine when you don't have Alzheimer's is like 'taking smarties' - they forced me to go off it cold turkey and wanted to start fucking antipsychotics. They know shit about their matter and get such high salaries.

As far I know, memantine doesn’t improve cognitive function in healthy people. But it’s not used only for Alzheimer disease – I can be used for anxiety and ADHD as well.

Memantine as an Augmentation Therapy for Anxiety Disorders

4. Discussion

Glutamate is felt to play a role in the development of anxiety. Glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter, is often in balance with an inhibitory neurotransmitter, GABA. This GABA-glutamate balance (when GABA is low and Glutamate is normal to high) is also felt to play a role in the development of generalized or social anxiety disorders. Sometimes, GABA activity increasing sedative drugs, such as diazepam, are used to raise GABA and create a better balance between the stimulatory glutamate and inhibitory GABA. Given memantine's ability to lower glutamate activity, it may be able to also lower anxiety without the need for a sedative medication. Lowering glutamate this way may allow a patient's own GABA concentrations to be more effective in lowering generalized or social anxiety disorder symptoms.

Memantine may be an effective augmentation therapy in patients with anxiety who remain symptomatic despite adequate treatment with conventional antidepressant anxiolytics.

In regards to limitations, this was an open-label consecutive patient case series. As such, these data are open to referral and investigator bias. Future investigations would benefit from placebo-controlled clinical trials to further investigate the true benefits of memantine for the treatment of anxiety.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Glutamatergic dysfunction in ADHD was reported more than ten years ago (Carrey, MacMaster, Sparkes, Khan, & Kusumakar, 2002). Initially, from a study of the available literature, ADHD was considered as a hypoglutamatergic condition affecting primarily prefrontostriatal pathways, (Carlsson, 2000). Later, using short echo magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Carrey et al. provided initial evidence that glutamate concentrations were, in fact, raised in the left striatum of male ADHD (combined subtype) subjects at baseline as compared to controls, with no increase in the prefrontal cortex (Carrey, MacMaster, Gaudet, & Schmidt, 2007). In 2009, elevated glutamate levels were again reported, this time, both in the prefrontal cortex and striatum of untreated ADHD children (Kavirajan, 2009). Recently, decreased NMDA-mediated transmission was again reported in ADHD, with caution that further reducing it with an NMDA receptor antagonist could worsen the condition (Sani et al., 2012). Whether ADHD is a hyper or hypoglutamatergic condition is not clear. Treatment with a glutamatergic agonist was inconclusive (Carlsson, 2000) but an eight-week, open-label, dose finding trial with memantine in 16 children, 6–12 years of age, diagnosed with ADHD (combined type), using a dose of 10 mg/day in eight children and 20 mg/day in the other eight children, reported a dose dependent benefit in both the inattention and the hyperactivity/impulsivity domains (Findling et al., 2007). The response was minimal at 10 mg/day and significantly better on the 20 mg/day dosage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3420624/

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3647634/

I really feel for you and can strongly relate to almost every single symptom you describe: ADHD-PI diagnosis, dysphoria, lethargy, bad short-term memory, rigidity/awkwardness, "cognitively fried," significant cognitive boost from alcohol consumption, trouble with eye contact, the feeling that all this does not reflect who you really are, ALL OF IT.  One minor difference is that where you experience dysphoria from dexamphetamine, I experience a marked mood boost.  In any event, it does not sound like a dopamine issue.

It all sounds like the hallmarks of NMDA/glu receptor dysfunction to me, maybe with some added effects from chronic alcohol consumption.  I believe you stated that you don't benefit from NAC, though I wonder if you'd see a benefit from continued use or upping your dosage.  I also wonder if you'd benefit from glycine, which has become a staple of my stack.  Glycine can be beneficial for NMDA-receptor hypofunction in two ways: 1) required (along with the cysteine from NAC) for synthesis of glutathionine, which has been shown to benefit compromised NMDA-receptor function; and 2) glycine is a co-agonist (along with glutamate) for the NMDA receptor and directly stimulates it.  I have read some fairly convincing arguments that the modern diet may not contain enough glycine for optimum health, and maybe it could be depleted further by alcohol consumption?  Not sure.  In any event it is very cheap and 10 grams a day gets me one step closer to where I want to be. 

Also, alcohol consumption can deplete glutathione which can contribute to NMDA receptor dysregulation, so supplements that increase it could be a reasonable approach to explore (the trifecta is NAC, glycine, glutamine, though NAC is the most important). 

Other potentially beneficial supplements could include sarcosine (blocks the re-uptake of glycine and enhances NMDA-receptor stimulation), and anything that is beneficial for inflammation (hell, I get a mental boost from ibuprofen).  BH4 may not be a viable option since it seems almost impossible to get your hands on though I would absolutely love to try it.

Again, I feel for you.  It is a crime that so many of us have to turn to internet forums for help.  We really are in the dark ages of mental health in some ways. 

When you said about having benefit from dextroamphetamine “hangover/withdraw” the first thing that came in mind was something like “NMDA receptor hypofunction” because the fact that most people have bad side effects from it (mostly it becomes overactive after amphetamines – something similar happens with alcohol hangover). Maybe energetic beverages may help (caffeine) to improve your excitatory neurotransmission, just try one time. 

Hey guys, 

I posted in this thread earlier about the hangover phenomenon and have gotten significantly worse. The hangovers been my lifeline for a while now. Anytime i'd get in this extremely depressed, confused, awkward, cognitively fried mood, i'd drink to experience a hangover and get on with my next couple of days really well. I'd self medicate to feel normal. That is until about a month and a half ago when I pooped it out. I tried a few times getting drunk but for the first time in my life, i'd have the typical hangover regular people experience. I'd vomit (which i never used to do), I would be slightly negative and extremely lethargic.

So since about a month ago, I've stopped drinking entirely. I've gone from professional to professional and was finally diagnosed with ADHD-PI. The psychiatrist described it as ethanol igniting my neurons to fire up and that other people have different catalysts such as marijuana etc. I started my introductory dose of adderal and it felt really strange. I became really quiet and dysphoric. This is off two doses of 5mg dexamphetamine, four hours apart. I tried supplementing tyrosine a couple of weeks prior to my diagnosis and that made me feel really irritable. Also, it's worth noting that smoking makes me dysphoric too?

Oh and I wanted to experiment with DXM to see if that did anything and 80mg literally put me in this strange, hypnotic and mute state. I was in a dysphoric mood where I brain fog, a mental block and wasn't talkitive. I think I got the rebound effect because I was in an okay mood the next day but that could've been placebo. I tried again the next week and had 30mgs. Same hypnotic, strange and untalkative mood. On second thought, I think it was after the whole experience with experimenting with DXM where I stopped experiencing those hangovers where I feel normal. 

I'm finding it harder to regulate thoughts, feelings and emotions. I've become rigid and awkward. Can hardly look at people in the eye. Short terms memory has tanked. I feel really trapped, I know this isn't me and i'm a really light and easy going person but something in my cns is happening that's making me extremely depressed and stupid. Above all, I feel really dumb at the moment. 

I'm in a really dark place. I'm a stones throw away from handing myself over to a clinic. But i doubt they'll take me or even know whats going on. 

My country subsidizes BH4 if you can prove through some pretty expensive testing that you're deficient. Could my cns fuckups be a product of a bh4 deficiency? 
Could I just have an extremely hypo-active nmda neurotransmitter? What could potentially be causing this? 
Could it be a faulty glu neurotransmission?

I'm extremely lost. I've quit my job and studies, living a dormant life till I become functional again. Any help would be an absolute god send. Please.

I want to chat with you in real time. I may have some useful information.

Has any of you tried one of the AMPAkines (sunifiram, unifiram) yet, or colouracetam? The latter is said to be effective for ADHD but my primary interest are the AMPAkines. Indeed they should be able to replicate this 'glutamate rebound' you are experiencing after alcohol, but without the drunken period and the headache.

I found sunifiram to be somewhat interesting but also speedy and it intensified my tension. But I seem to be a bit atypical in that I do need NMDA antagonism for cognition to flow easily - I get exactly that enormous improvement in cognitive, verbal and emotional fluency with NMDA antagonists (resulting in less NMDA and more AMPA activity).

Also dopamine is definitely a central mediator, but I really believe now that glutamate is just as essential. Maybe they are tightly coupled together too, I know yet too little about it all but there is some evidence. Dopamine does modulate and limit glutamate trafficking, this is a supposed mechanism for why antipsychotics lower the seizure threshold if I'm right (have to search the source if you're interested, I moved recently and am just on my travel notebook now). NMDA antagonism appears to disinhibit dopamine, and consequently will too much glutamate lead to little dopamine.

Methylphenidate has worked well for me, but only in combination with a mild NMDA antagonist (memantine - unfortunately it's hard to get a prescription for because of off-label) and it has some rough edges on the body. The currently RC-only cousin isopropylphenidate is miles better, if it's legal in your country, you might consider to give it a try.

Or, what I'm currently trying out myself is rasagiline, a MAO-B inhibitor that lowers the degradation of dopamine and phenethylamine. Am just on day 2 now, there is a definite improvement not unlike methylphenidate but completely without any body load or speediness - truly appreciable. It makes a nice synergy with tobacco and 2-fluoroamphetamine (low dose! it potentiates that).

I already took selegiline, but I didn’t like too much. Specially because you must be careful mixing IMAO (even reversible ones) with monoamine transporters inhibitors (like methylphenidate).

#174 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Same as me. I'm going to see if my adhd doc can prescribe me Nardil. It's considered THE medication for social anxiety. People report being really chirpy and sometimes hypo manic when the medication kicks in. That and a low dose of stimulants could potentially do the trick. Will most likely get a script next week.

#175 .Moose.

• 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

The next step for me is to figure out why I seem to be prone to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  I suspect poor absorption potentially due to digestive issues/inflammation. 

Ah i missed this before... 

From everything I've read about N-Acetyl Glucosamine, most people who do see benefit from it are those who seem to have noticeable inflammation before - either gut issues or interestingly enough blocked sinuses. Addressing these problems with NAG and turmeric etc seem to have a very beneficial effect on brain chemistry. Only since reading this, I think I do actually have constantly quite inflammed sinuses and i used to get nose bleeds all the time. Never had any gut problems though.

I had a trial run of NAG for 5 days before going abroad without noticing anything but then was surprisingly chatty and giggly for the first few days away. Possibly down to holiday and other circumstances but as it did fade over the week, and  since NAG is an anxiolytic, maybe there was slight effect... 

Hope it's still going well for you though KIngsley

--

Apprentice_Bob - don't worry, feel your pain hugely with the interaction thing. Word constipation is so frustrating when you can't just participate in a conversation even if you're enjoying it. 

--

dopamimiteq and Reiher Allendi - thanks for informative posts, please keep us updated on anything new!

Edited by .Moose., 16 January 2016 - 01:33 PM.

#176 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

The next step for me is to figure out why I seem to be prone to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  I suspect poor absorption potentially due to digestive issues/inflammation. 

Ah i missed this before... 

From everything I've read about N-Acetyl Glucosamine, most people who do see benefit from it are those who seem to have noticeable inflammation before - either gut issues or interestingly enough blocked sinuses. Addressing these problems with NAG and turmeric etc seem to have a very beneficial effect on brain chemistry. Only since reading this, I think I do actually have constantly quite inflammed sinuses and i used to get nose bleeds all the time. Never had any gut problems though.

I had a trial run of NAG for 5 days before going abroad without noticing anything but then was surprisingly chatty and giggly for the first few days away. Possibly down to holiday and other circumstances but as it did fade over the week, and  since NAG is an anxiolytic, maybe there was slight effect... 

Hope it's still going well for you though KIngsley

--

Apprentice_Bob - don't worry, feel your pain hugely with the interaction thing. Word constipation is so frustrating when you can't just participate in a conversation even if you're enjoying it. 

--

dopamimiteq and Reiher Allendi - thanks for informative posts, please keep us updated on anything new!

I'm not active in this post these days because right now I'm trying to figure out how to solve another issue. Since almost every single med that I've tried or I'm using now is basically "prescribed by me" (I'm not a doctor, but I'm good in persuasion) - and because I'm a little perfectionist - I'm having trouble with to manage my last purpose.

It took more than 6 years for me to solve the "libido's riddle". Most of antidepressants have sexual side effects and - those that don't have this side efect aren't able to make me feel good enought to enjoy life. For many years I break on through hell - being my own "test subject", mixing different meds, trying doses above prescription, starting or stopping without titration doses. Well - I got so far that I ever consider abandon engineer to try something like medicine or pharmacy to make use of what I learned.

But I still feel that I must finish engineer before try anything else. Everything I've learned was to achieve my main goal - restore everything that my mood disorder did to me. Basically I don't want to feel anxiety - depression - boredom without compromise my cognition - libido - strenght. 

Right know, anxiety isn't a problem. My depression is too little. Boredom is sometimes bothering, but I can handle it.
Sexual side effects are finally solved - so my libido is ok. Strenght isn't like that good, but it's not something necessary to put things to move on. And finally - my cognition.

Brain fog almost everyday - and even being able to solve math questions - I'm too slow. For someone rigorous with myself (and sometimes arrogant) I'm just feeling like I have down syndrome. I reached my old cognition some times while testing meds - but some other side effect fucked me up to the point of stop all and start over. Most benefits I've found with herbal drugs, but they are tricky to handle - there's too many interactions - pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics specially.

But I just have to try - and read a lot more.

I'm trying to find some time to put my .pdf files in order - then I'll post here using Google Drive. There's a lot of information you may find useful.

Like drug interaction - neurotransmitters interact between them like I said before - and with many other biological process in the body. Understand may not guarantee your problem solution, but knowlegde will make your search for the best option less painful (and faster).

"Thanks" posts are making me enjoy to contribute here. Long ago I learned a lot in forums. Times to return the favor.

• Cheerful x 1

#177 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

Guys. I think I just found the missing piece in the puzzle. It verifies why a large amount of ethanol (sugar) helps us and why an mao can be used to treat us. Please be true.

Insulin resistance in brain alters dopamine turnover and causes behavioral disorders.
Diabetes and insulin resistance are associated with altered brain imaging, depression, and increased rates of age-related cognitive impairment. Here we demonstrate that mice with a brain-specific knockout of the insulin receptor (NIRKO mice) exhibit brain mitochondrial dysfunction with reduced mitochondrial oxidative activity, increased levels of reactive oxygen species, and increased levels of lipid and protein oxidation in the striatum and nucleus accumbens. NIRKO mice also exhibit increased levels of monoamine oxidase A and B (MAO A and B) leading to increased dopamine turnover in these areasStudies in cultured neurons and glia cells indicate that these changes in MAO A and B are a direct consequence of loss of insulin signaling. As a result, NIRKO mice develop age-related anxiety and depressive-like behaviors that can be reversed by treatment with MAO inhibitors, as well as the tricyclic antidepressant imipramine, which inhibits MAO activity and reduces oxidative stressThus, insulin resistance in brain induces mitochondrial and dopaminergic dysfunction leading to anxiety and depressive-like behaviors, demonstrating a potential molecular link between central insulin resistance and behavioral disorders. 

#178 Reiher Allendi

• 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

I think the ethanol (alcohol) affects insulin levels mostly during intoxication instead hangover. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Talking about insulin - ginsenosides (found in ginseng herbal extracts) may help against fatigue by affect insulin sensivity.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ginsenoside Rb1 increases insulin sensitivity by activating AMP-activated protein kinase in male rats

http://www.ncbi.nlm....0003-e12543.pdf
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also ginsenosides affects monoamine levels like dopamine.

Ginsenoside Rb1 Modulates Level of Monoamine Neurotransmitters in Mice Frontal Cortex and Cerebellum in Response to Immobilization Stress

http://www.ncbi.nlm....omb4-20-482.pdf

Pharmacokinetics and dopamine/acetylcholine releasing effects of ginsenoside Re in hippocampus and mPFC of freely moving rats

http://www.ncbi.nlm....aps2012147a.pdf

In fact, I found "panax ginseng" + "ginkgo biloba" have some synergism to improve overall health (including cognition).

Effect of Memo®, a natural formula combination, on Mini-Mental State Examination scores in patients with mild cognitive impairment

http://www.ncbi.nlm....f/cia-8-975.pdf

Herbal Extracts and Phytochemicals: Plant Secondary Metabolites and the Enhancement of Human Brain Function

http://www.ncbi.nlm....2794/pdf/32.pdf

Anti-stress Effects of Ginkgo biloba and Panax ginseng: a Comparative Study

https://www.jstage.j...4/93_4_458/_pdf

Even for ADHD.

Effect of the herbal extract combination Panax quinquefolium and Ginkgo biloba on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a pilot study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....n00091-0055.pdf

#179 amanton

• Validating/Suspended
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Is it a good idea to take NAG and NAC together?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#180 Kingsley

• 113 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Is it a good idea to take NAG and NAC together?

I would think it would be okay.  To my knowledge the two are considered safe at reasonable doses and do not share any mechanism of action, so there should not be any problem caused by cumulative effect.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, deficiency, alcohol, hangover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users