* * * * * 5 votes

giving my rats c60

rats

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

attachicon.gifc60 olive oil treatment.xlsI have terrible news.  Two of my rats have passed away.  This past weekend Willow passed away and I found Pip passed away this morning.  More detailed info in my charts.

Sad news indeed. what would you estimate is the average lifespan for that particular strain of rat?

• Enjoying the show x 1

#62 Rat Fan

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:50 AM

Due to lots of poor breeding, it can really vary. However, if you have decent genetics, and take basically good care of them, two is good. Many rats die around two. Willow was a rescue rat, and came into the rescue with a very large group. Most of those rats that I was able to keep tabs on have already passed away. I was very sad that she didn't make it to two. I took her to three vets for something weird that was going on with her eyes. All of them said no to pituitary tumor and couldn't figure out what might be wrong with her. One person online thought it might have been an endocrine disorder. I have three other rats from that group, all still living, and they have generally healthy. They will be two in Jan/Feb. Pip was from a breeder, he passed away at 2yrs 7months. Earlier this month he lost the use of his back legs. And then two days ago I noticed blood in his urine. He was already on antibiotics for a respiratory thing so that should have covered any infection that might have been going on. So I really don't know what it was. His brother is still living (these are my first two to pass away). If a rat makes it to three, that's really good. Sorry, that's a really long answer to your question.
  • Informative x 3
  • like x 2

#63 Rat Fan

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Continuing on with c60 treatments of course.  Still doing every two weeks.  Lucy is not doing well right now.  Her lungs are so stiff and she is exhausted most of the time.  I started giving her prednisolone 3 days ago.  She had basically quit doing everything, including eating and drinking.  She's made it through so far, with a lot of effort on my part to keep her hydrated.  She is improving tiny amounts each day, but even within each day there are good hours/bad hours.  Anyway, she is almost 2 yrs and 8 months, which is amazing in itself considering she's been sickly all her life.  I wish I knew if the c60 has had anything to do with that. Hopefully as time goes on more will become clear as the rats I started earlier in life continue to age.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#64 Rat Fan

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:17 AM

Attached File  c60 olive oil treatment.xls   110KB   324 downloads

I've lost a bunch of rats since the last update.  I will upload my spreadsheet, you can see all the info on deaths on the 2nd page.

I've also adopted more pet rats and so far have chosen not to treat them.  I've added them at the bottom of the second page as well under "untreated rats".

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#65 Rat Fan

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

Hello friends,  it's been a long time.  I have updated my spread sheet.  I have one rat left from my original 8 that I treated for a very long time.  I think it's notable that one of my rats lived to be 3 yrs 7 months old.  I belong to several large rat keeping communities online, and I can tell you that most of my rats, esp the C60 treated, did VERY well with their life spans compared to most.  Most don't make it too far past their 2nd birthday.  I know that's not exactly a scientific conclusion ....  

I'm still keep track of rats that I have now, but have not been treated, and I think in the future it will help to compare.

Attached Files

• Informative x 5
  • like x 2

#66 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hey Rat Fan

Good to hear from you again. :)

3 yrs 7 months is a long life for a rat!

Thx for the report. This is an interesting result.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users