• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Intense brain fog. All day. Ruining my life.

brain fog mental fog help please fog tired fatigue hypothyroid thyroid

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#61 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Glad you're eating. Good work. You seem smart. You are learning.

Your girlfriend may be right about your weight. It adds up with what I was thinking. People with eating disorders may think they are fat when they are not, or be too concerned with a little added weight and go to unhealthy lengths to get rid of it. They can be perfectionists. They can think that the whole world revolves around removing some weight which isn't even always really there.

I understand you are skeptical of Chinese medicine. You can't really know how it works until you try it. Maybe you will.

I'm encouraged that you have made the psychologist appointment. You are also reaching out for help in seeking medical advice. Although I'm not personally a fan of Western medicine for your concerns, you are moving forward and realizing you need help and that's a good sign.

In case self-expression helps you, I'm posting a link to my self-expression threads.

http://www.longecity...ry-447-self-expression-threads/

If this link won't work, you can go to this forum and look for threads by me marked self-expression:
http://www.longecity...life-extension/

I've also cut out brocolli which I was eating heaps of every day sometimes 250-500g in a day. Pretty bad considering I may have a thyroid problem. It may have made it worse. I've switched to mixed vegetables.

I eat plenty as is evident by my corpulence, but I have occasionally restricted to silly hypocaloric levels and fasted. I've come round to the idea that eating too little sets off biochemical changes that make it hard to stay thin if you get there via that route. It is just annoying sometimes being overweight and one gets desperate. But I assure you I eat heaps and am definitely overweight, but maybe not by as much as I think - I may grant that. I am still unsure about adding significant carbohydrates to my diet.

Thank you once again for your continued support :)

Edited by Esoparagon, 12 September 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#62 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

You're making some wise changes, that's great! Seeing a psychologist and an endocrinologist should help you further.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

It feels like no normal functional life let alone happy life is possible to me anymore, and that I deserve my misery because I must have done something wrong. :sad: I just want to feel normal again. I can't keep spending 16 hours doing an assignment that should take 3. I'm falling more and more behind. I feel like no one believes me. I have no where to turn but the internet.

#64 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

It feels like no normal functional life let alone happy life is possible to me anymore, and that I deserve my misery because I must have done something wrong. :sad: I just want to feel normal again. I can't keep spending 16 hours doing an assignment that should take 3. I'm falling more and more behind. I feel like no one believes me. I have no where to turn but the internet.

I know how you feel buddy. It was something I went through when I was travelling alone in Oz when I was 24 years old. I thought the same thing. I was all set to go back to grad school and I had to reject all of it because I thought I was going insane (which I wasn't, and neither are you, it's just a normal homeostasis process my body was going through to sort out the missing T4s) and because my energy levels were completely nil. I know exactly how you feel about people not believing you, and anybody who has gone through an undiagnosed illness does too. If I can add a perspective on the outsider's part (after having to go through the frustration of not being understood) - them not believing is simply due to the fact that they cannot physically feel what you feel. So you may look normal from the outside, but from the inside you feel completely not right, which they can't truly understand unless they have physically felt the same thing before. I counted on others to tell me how I seemed and to assure me that I was indeed ill like I thought, but waiting for them to believe and trying to convince them just delayed my healing time. The only person you should trust is yourself in how you physically feel as an indicator of how you are. You and your endo.
But, on a lighter note, if I can assure you some rest - life will get better once you go through treatment. Trust me on that one. I finally feel 100% back to normal after 2 years, and I was probably at 80% 1 year out, and probably 60% after a few months of treatment. With the limited energy expenditure you have, just take 1 minute to google endos in Oz, dial them up, and make an appointment. And then just allow your body to rest. Things will get better. Big hugs to you.

#65 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I haven't read through this topic so I don't know if anyone has posted this, but here's a link to an interesting website about all manner of mental optimization, with an article on the causes and potential cures of brain fog. I am about to implement these interventions very soon, so will let you know how it goes.

#66 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

I haven't read through this topic so I don't know if anyone has posted this, but here's a link to an interesting website about all manner of mental optimization, with an article on the causes and potential cures of brain fog. I am about to implement these interventions very soon, so will let you know how it goes.

I would be happy with mental normalization.

#67 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

I know how you feel buddy. It was something I went through when I was travelling alone in Oz when I was 24 years old. I thought the same thing. I was all set to go back to grad school and I had to reject all of it because I thought I was going insane (which I wasn't, and neither are you, it's just a normal homeostasis process my body was going through to sort out the missing T4s) and because my energy levels were completely nil. I know exactly how you feel about people not believing you, and anybody who has gone through an undiagnosed illness does too. If I can add a perspective on the outsider's part (after having to go through the frustration of not being understood) - them not believing is simply due to the fact that they cannot physically feel what you feel. So you may look normal from the outside, but from the inside you feel completely not right, which they can't truly understand unless they have physically felt the same thing before. I counted on others to tell me how I seemed and to assure me that I was indeed ill like I thought, but waiting for them to believe and trying to convince them just delayed my healing time. The only person you should trust is yourself in how you physically feel as an indicator of how you are. You and your endo.
But, on a lighter note, if I can assure you some rest - life will get better once you go through treatment. Trust me on that one. I finally feel 100% back to normal after 2 years, and I was probably at 80% 1 year out, and probably 60% after a few months of treatment. With the limited energy expenditure you have, just take 1 minute to google endos in Oz, dial them up, and make an appointment. And then just allow your body to rest. Things will get better. Big hugs to you.

Thank you. At least I'm not insane. Rest is not really an option *sigh* - I'm going to a psychologist tomorrow and I'll look around for an endocronologist and consider going to a different doctor.
  • like x 1

#68 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I saw the psychologist today and we talked mainly about my relationship and my history and current life. She said that all my symptoms could indeed be sleep apnea, and she is writing a recommendation to my doctor that I have a sleep study done. I want to cross that possibility off the list so I am enthusiastic to do it.
  • like x 2

#69 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Good news! Keeping my fingers crossed.

#70 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

Glad to hear it.

#71 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

That's great! Remember that sleep apnea is under the list I pasted on complications of untreated hypothyroidism, just to be aware of.

#72 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

That's great! Remember that sleep apnea is under the list I pasted on complications of untreated hypothyroidism, just to be aware of.

Thank you :) I was unaware of that. Very interesting.

Glad to hear it.

Thank you :)

Good news! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you :)

I've continued having a large breakfast and a decent lunch. It is such a nice feeling to have a large breakfast. I slept for 12 hours yesterday which left me a zombie today and with little time to study, but I'm trying to stay positive about things. I get 2 weeks holidays at the end of the week so I will have time to catch up and try to improve my fog.
  • like x 1

#73 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yep yep. You must have missed the link I posted earlier on this thread. Read carefully as one complication listed is sleep apnea, which is exactly what I also had before getting it treated:
http://www.webmd.com...sm-what-happens

#74 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

What do you eat for dinner?

#75 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

What do you eat for dinner?

I used to eat beef mince 250-500g and pasta sauce with cheese/vegetables most of the time. Now I eat a big breakfast, my dinner has become much lighter. Dinner was basically usually some kind of meat or eggs + various fats + some vegetables. I used to lather olive oil on everything, but now it's butter. Sometimes I would have blueberries, walnuts, almonds with cream afterwards. Lunch is the hardest because I'm out. I've started brining some cheese and almonds to hold me over.

I hate preparing food so my meals are lazy and simple. I just throw everything together to get the nutrition (I use CRONometer on occasion to make sure) and keep low carb while keeping it palatable. I guess I must have been eating 2500-3500 calories a day.

Edited by Esoparagon, 19 September 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#76 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

I'm glad you are eating dinner. It would be optimal if you could get back to eating carbs with most of your meals.
  • like x 1

#77 Pound

• 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hey dude. I haven't replied in a while. Did you get your testosterone checked out? I know your thyroid is pretty out of whack. You can buy natural dessicated thyroid from a reputable I know if you are finding that your thyroid symptoms aren't improving.

I would recommend looking at herbs ashawagandha and bacopa (can order the himalayas brand from iHerb). Many people have had great experiences with these herb with stress management and adrenal insufficiency, so I would defiantly recommend these two herbs.

#78 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think he should probably get his hormones in order via thyroid meds before going on ashawagandha or any herbs that might affect his hormones for that matter.
  • like x 1

#79 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hey dude. I haven't replied in a while. Did you get your testosterone checked out? I know your thyroid is pretty out of whack. You can buy natural dessicated thyroid from a reputable I know if you are finding that your thyroid symptoms aren't improving.

I would recommend looking at herbs ashawagandha and bacopa (can order the himalayas brand from iHerb). Many people have had great experiences with these herb with stress management and adrenal insufficiency, so I would defiantly recommend these two herbs.

Thanks! I haven't gotten any more testing done. I'll be going back to the doctor to ask for a sleep study though. - I have tried bacopa before. Thanks for the recommendations.

#80 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Any updates Esoparagon? Hope you're doing well.

#81 Wu Hang

• 71 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Are you sure you don't have anything OCD related? It seems that your main problem is to stress over little incidents which wouldn't be a big deal if it is happened to really healthy people. What if the brain fog is not the result of deficiency but a result of a excessive intake? Just some food for thought.

By the way, I just tried cron meter and it seems that I have potassium deficiency too, but I don't feel like having brain fogs all day long despite having to study in a very busy schedule.
  • dislike x 3

#82 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Theres no such thing as brain fog you are depressed, dissociated, not enough blood sugar etc etc.
It was really a stupid thing to coin this term.

Edited by machete234, 11 October 2013 - 02:09 PM.

• dislike x 1

#83 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Let's call it thread fog. Caused to cover something?

Edited by Olon, 11 October 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#84 Shcshc11

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hi,

I feel I may have (or had) similar conditions as you had before especially when you wrote this part:

"It feels like no normal functional life let alone happy life is possible to me anymore, and that I deserve my misery because I must have done something wrong. :sad: I just want to feel normal again. I can't keep spending 16 hours doing an assignment that should take 3. I'm falling more and more behind. I feel like no one believes me. I have no where to turn but the internet. "

I definitely know the feeling of "no one believes me". Even when I explained to my close friends how "it felt", nobody seemed to truly grasp how it felt. And even if they did get it, they definitely wouldn't know how to solve it.

Spending so much time on assignments (which others take only a fraction of the time) was so heartbreaking because the time (effort and perseverance) I put on these work was otherwise not put into other areas of life (e.g: family, fun, etc...).

I'm always super ambitious but I simply could not fulfill my ambitions if I kept having these awful feeling of awful sleep/tiredness/low mood/depression/brain fog/zombie-like feeling/constant fights against an immense urge of napping. I wanted to use my energy to accomplish difficult tasks and instead, I was wasting it to CONSTANTLY fight my tiredness.

Anyway, I found out about a product called Modera XL back in December 2010 (type in Moderal XL on google).
Been using it on & off and I always felt much better whenever I used it.

There's not that many people who seem to be using the product for "sleep/brain fog" purposes but I felt it was the most effective product.

I accidentally stumbled on the product with this website.
http://excessive-day.....<br /><br />It seemed really "car-salesman" at first; but at the time, I also felt I couldn't function normally and wanted to feel normal. So to me, at the very worse, I would just waste $$. It took about a week before I started feeling differently and I still buy it to this day. I use 1 or 2 an hour before I go to sleep.

Based on personal experience, I feel it helped solve 70% of the problems (in fact, I stumbled upon this topic to find more suggestions on solving the last 30% or so).

If ever, nothing seems to work on the suggestions given (diet, yoga, etc...), then try it out.

"It feels like no normal functional life let alone happy life is possible to me anymore" => Based on this quote of yours, I can tell it also means "I don't think I am able to solve this problem and I don't know what I will do if I can't solve it."

I really hope you can get out of it and never never give up on trying to find SOMETHING that works for you.

Cheers!
Shc

Edited by Shcshc11, 12 October 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#85 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Wu Hang, this may be off topic, but as a woman, I find your picture offensive. Please change it.

Edited by Luminosity, 12 October 2013 - 04:38 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#86 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Wu Hang, this may be off topic, but as a woman, I find your picture offensive. Please change it.

Just change your avatar to a big penis and maybe he'll get the point :-)

Oops, did I say that? Hum de dum...
  • dislike x 1

#87 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Thank you Wu Hang : )

#88 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

I like Wu Hang's new picture much better.

#89 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Sorry for my crass comment/joke you guys. It was pretty tasteless.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#90 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

Are you sure you don't have anything OCD related? It seems that your main problem is to stress over little incidents which wouldn't be a big deal if it is happened to really healthy people. What if the brain fog is not the result of deficiency but a result of a excessive intake? Just some food for thought.

By the way, I just tried cron meter and it seems that I have potassium deficiency too, but I don't feel like having brain fogs all day long despite having to study in a very busy schedule.

Can you please explain which things I am over reacting about? I am willing to consider your proposal, but I want to retort. I have explained that the brain came on by itself. I ignored it thinking it'd end, then it got worse and worse. I have taken up the policy of trying everything and anything that may even be remotely likely to fix it. Everything I'm doing is to fix this problem I have. Any possible reason I can think of I'm putting into action. I think that is completely logical since it won't go away by itself. I'm just taking action. Secondly, yes my state of mind has deteriated SINCE the brain fog. I was quite happily chugging along in life before this brain fog came on. In fact, compared to much of my life, I was doing very well mentally speaking. If feeling like utter death, like your mind has been smashed against a wall repeatedly, having the short term memory of a fish, being constantly mentally fatigued, unable to process information, unable to perform, unable to keep up with your work and feeling generally out of it all day isn't enough to get you down, I don't know what is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain fog, mental fog, help, please, fog, tired, fatigue, hypothyroid, thyroid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users