• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Intense brain fog. All day. Ruining my life.

brain fog mental fog help please fog tired fatigue hypothyroid thyroid

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#121 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

alexburke, I disagree. Pot isn't the answer to that problem.

Don't worry. I'm not going to smoke pot to help my mind fog. :P

#122 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

good
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#123 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Today I feel angry, frustrated and upset at my situation. I have managed not to let it get to me like this but today I can't help it. I feel like I need someone to talk to.

Edited by Esoparagon, 03 November 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#124 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Well you certainly are welcome to talk here I think! Do you have someone in real-time you can talk to? Like your girlfriend? It can be a really hard thing, having this invisible (to others) situation going on in your body. I remember when I came back home, a lot of friends just simply thought I was acting weird because, I mean why would something actually being going on with me, as healthy as I was looking externally? Where did the old me go and why do I always have to talk about my situation? That was the mentality of my friends. My hormones were so out of whack that I would find myself in a state of embarrassment socially more often than not, and eventually I had decided to isolate myself completely. Isolation is perhaps the worst possible idea in any sort of health situation, as I figured out later. All I needed was someone to talk to indeed. Eventually I did find that, through a group I found through my church (I'm Catholic), in which they seemed pretty open. But it took me a while.
I also remember working different jobs under my condition, and as hard of a worker I strived to be, it seemed that I always failed to do the job correctly because of fatigue, forgetting things, and huge anxiety from not understanding what was wrong and from the frustration of not doing the job right. I was also not eating carbs (probably the worst thing you can do if you are working as a waitress, which I was at the time).
Have you found an endo yet?
Also, are there any cultural ways in which Aussies view people who are struggling with health issues? Not everyone is the same in one country, but it's just interesting to note cultural differences sometimes. I know Australia is pretty much an egalitarian society, so I'm not sure how that affects your situation.

#125 etizsupplyusa.com

• 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Start meditating daily, 10 minutes the first few weeks (go with your intuition if you want to increase the sitting times after that).

It's the best present you can give yourself. I really wish I had started as early as 23. Jon Kabat-Zinn's talk at Google University (on YouTube) is a good starting point.

Apart from that, I find my attention level is increased by taking fish oil, ginkgo biloba and drinking a large cup of Japanese green tea. It's fine on its own, but I combine it with 800 mg piracetam for an extra boost.

Have you got a family history of depression or bipolar?

Daily 45 minute brisk walks (pref. calm neighbourhood like a forest, mountain or if that's not possible, then a park or sleepy residential area with greenery) will kickstart your hippocampus, which will have positive effects on both mood and memory formation, and is also a good way of losing weight.

Also, perhaps, get thyroid values taken, and look into Addison's syndrome.

This is very sound advice. Also take a multivitamin if your not. Perhaps you should drop the nootropics and let your body stabilize from the foreign compounds.

Also definitely get the thyroid levels tested. My mom has a thyroid disease, and they are very manageable in many cases. A thyroid condition is a real possibility, do you have a family history?

A psychiatrist could help alot. Stress could also be the cause, and they might be able to point you in new directions if they suspect a medical condition. Not too mention just having someone too talk to can do a lot for you.

Do you smoke cannabis? If so that could also be the cause, once I quite, my mind was so much clearer, and my brainfog went away (which was really bothering me)

Edited by MolecularEuphoria, 04 November 2013 - 01:11 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#126 KieranA001

• 403 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

I don't know if you're going to read this or not, but this is what I've found out about brain fog. I have been trying to find a cure for it, it's a hard one to be fair as there are so many causes to brain fog e.g. ME, CFS, etc... I tell you now, I've tried everything but tonight I stumbled upon a blog that I read it it now all makes sense. All me need to do is detox are body from toxins so that are liver, and other body organs can repair themselves which will eventually reduce inflammation and all of your associated symptoms.

I've just got so pissed off with going to the doctors explaining all of my symptoms to find out that all they want to do is bung me off with a bunch of anti-depressants or let them tell me it's all to do with anxiety and that I'm making it up... No, I can assure you I'm not.

Anyway, what you want to do is to firstly, have a low calorie diet that contains so MSG, sweeteners, or anything non-organic for that matter / anything bad for you such as processed foods etc. You want a diet that isn't totally reliant on meat to break down fat cells that store the chemicals and heavy metals, the diet will lower the level of insulin in the blood and aid immune system functioning.

Next, you want to increase the levels of fats in the diet. (Omega 3 6/Vitamin E/Evening Primrose Oil/Phospahtidylcholine) and you'll want to take vitamin or mineral (go for a whole food based one such as source of life gold) also incl. Vit C/Magnesium/B Vitamins/Organic chlorella.

Take Bodybio Butyrate for 2 weeks and then prepare to do liver flushes with phosphatidylcholine for two consecutive nights in a row.

Take the natural and safe Zeolites. These are minerals that have been used since Roman times. They bond strongly with with heavy metals and chemicals (like VOC's) removing them from the body without stripping the body of it's natural mineral base. Not all zeolites sold have the correct molecule size to allow them to be transported by water into the bodies cells.

Read this:

http://www.drrote.co..._the_body_.html

Stuff I recommend in order:
  • Pukka Clean Green 90 tablets (take for 15 days)
  • Activated Cellular Liquid Zeolite Ultra Enhanced With DHQ 30ml (recommed this with lots of bottle water to flush toxins)
  • Sodium Butyrate
  • Wholemega fish oil
  • Source of life chewables (wholefood based)

I recommed the above for the detoxication process, after you have done that you need to move on to repairing your liver damage caused by the toxins. I recommed:
  • Phosphatidylcholine

NOTE: Don't take too much phosphatidylcholine as the effects, like many other dugs have not been tested to see what long-term effects they have. Only take this for two days max, or as directed. :-)

I hope I've helped or have at least given you an insight that toxins can cause most of your symptoms, as I've had them myself and this method seems logical. All other methods have failed me so this is what I'm going to try. Give me feedback if this helps you or if not I will give you feedback after I've tried this out for myself. :-)
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#127 KieranA001

• 403 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Have you been tested for Celiac disease as well? As this can cause brain fog.

http://celiacdisease...e-Brain-Fog.htm

Edited by KieranA001, 11 November 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#128 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

Have you been tested for Celiac disease as well? As this can cause brain fog.

http://celiacdisease...e-Brain-Fog.htm

Thanks for the suggestion but I doubt that's it. :) I have spent the last couple of years eating a low carb diet so my intake of gluten has been zero to neglible while my brain fog started and got worse and worse.Thank you for taking the time though :)

Start meditating daily, 10 minutes the first few weeks (go with your intuition if you want to increase the sitting times after that).

It's the best present you can give yourself. I really wish I had started as early as 23. Jon Kabat-Zinn's talk at Google University (on YouTube) is a good starting point.

Apart from that, I find my attention level is increased by taking fish oil, ginkgo biloba and drinking a large cup of Japanese green tea. It's fine on its own, but I combine it with 800 mg piracetam for an extra boost.

Have you got a family history of depression or bipolar?

Daily 45 minute brisk walks (pref. calm neighbourhood like a forest, mountain or if that's not possible, then a park or sleepy residential area with greenery) will kickstart your hippocampus, which will have positive effects on both mood and memory formation, and is also a good way of losing weight.

Also, perhaps, get thyroid values taken, and look into Addison's syndrome.

This is very sound advice. Also take a multivitamin if your not. Perhaps you should drop the nootropics and let your body stabilize from the foreign compounds.

Also definitely get the thyroid levels tested. My mom has a thyroid disease, and they are very manageable in many cases. A thyroid condition is a real possibility, do you have a family history?

A psychiatrist could help alot. Stress could also be the cause, and they might be able to point you in new directions if they suspect a medical condition. Not too mention just having someone too talk to can do a lot for you.

Do you smoke cannabis? If so that could also be the cause, once I quite, my mind was so much clearer, and my brainfog went away (which was really bothering me)

No I don't smoke cannabis and if I did that would be the first thing I'd stop :D I had my TSH tested and it was 3.15 which my doctor says is euthyroid. Two days ago I checked my temperature under my tongue an hour after waking and got 35.7 C. This seemed a bit low so I tested it again and got 36.0 C.

Edited by Esoparagon, 12 November 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#129 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

I'm sorry, but is your doctor on crack?? 3.15 was around the same that I had and I was immediately put on synthroid. To say it is euthyroid makes me question Australian medical practices. Yes, it's in normal range...according to pre-2002 standards. My TSH is now at .66 and my brain fog is completely and utterly gone. No more feeling like I'm going crazy. Go to the States if you want a good diagnosis, and I'll give you some excellent endo recommendations. ;)

Old TSH standards vs. New TSH standards:
http://hypothyroidmo...-lab-standards/

Aussie site on TSH levels:
http://brnt.com.au/hypothyroidism/

It seems many Aussie doctors are still a decade behind in their view of what is considered "normal". Guess that's what happens when you're in a country so isolated from the rest of the world. :|? Good thing I didn't get tested there. I know they are proud of their independence, but sometimes it can turn into stubborness and take a toll on the well being of their citizens...like yourself.
  • WellResearched x 1

#130 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

Which is WHY I say use Chinese Medicine because you don't have to deal with Western Medicine's grotesquely dysfunctional behavior with regard to thyroid disease. If you enjoy long drawn out unnecessary processes, you could further pursue Western Medicine for this. If so, I would suggest CONTACTING THE PATIENT SUPPORT GROUP for thyroid, chronic fatigue or chemical sensitivity in your area to find a lead on a doctor who can treat your thyroid condition according to the criteria of the current century. Write your temp data down for each day. As I said before, I think that's the one under the arm first thing in the morning but check out what they used to do for thyroid diagnosis cause that's what I'm talking about. Take the data in to your doctor along with your symptoms. If you also want to keep dealing with the endo issue for another few years, keep softly bleating about it to try to get a referral. Otherwise you need to scare the doctor into giving the referral.

Or you could go to an acupuncturist.

#131 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

I'm sorry, but is your doctor on crack?? 3.15 was around the same that I had and I was immediately put on synthroid. To say it is euthyroid makes me question Australian medical practices. Yes, it's in normal range...according to pre-2002 standards. My TSH is now at .66 and my brain fog is completely and utterly gone. No more feeling like I'm going crazy. Go to the States if you want a good diagnosis, and I'll give you some excellent endo recommendations. ;)

Old TSH standards vs. New TSH standards:
http://hypothyroidmo...-lab-standards/

Aussie site on TSH levels:

It seems many Aussie doctors are still a decade behind in their view of what is considered "normal". Guess that's what happens when you're in a country so isolated from the rest of the world. :|? Good thing I didn't get tested there. I know they are proud of their independence, but sometimes it can turn into stubborness and take a toll on the well being of their citizens...like yourself.

Hehe. :laugh: The accepted range for TSH was up to 4.0. I'm pumping myself with caffeine to get passed exams. In a week it'll be over and I'll get back to trying to fix it. I tried modafinil 100mg on two different days, but I don't think it worked and it gave me skin dry on my arms. The dry skin is scary so I won't try 200mg. Trying it is pretty crazy, but desperate times desperate measures.

Which is WHY I say use Chinese Medicine because you don't have to deal with Western Medicine's grotesquely dysfunctional behavior with regard to thyroid disease. If you enjoy long drawn out unnecessary processes, you could further pursue Western Medicine for this. If so, I would suggest CONTACTING THE PATIENT SUPPORT GROUP for thyroid, chronic fatigue or chemical sensitivity in your area to find a lead on a doctor who can treat your thyroid condition according to the criteria of the current century. Write your temp data down for each day. As I said before, I think that's the one under the arm first thing in the morning but check out what they used to do for thyroid diagnosis cause that's what I'm talking about. Take the data in to your doctor along with your symptoms. If you also want to keep dealing with the endo issue for another few years, keep softly bleating about it to try to get a referral. Otherwise you need to scare the doctor into giving the referral.

Or you could go to an acupuncturist.

Thank you. After exams are over in a week I'll set myself on the task of getting this fixed since I'll finally have ample time. I'll have a couple of months in which to really figure this out. The sleep apnea study people have not contacted me and I haven't had time anyway to chase them down. I'll have to do that first before the doc let's me see an endo. Strangely I'm getting used this half-dead feeling. It's becoming my normal expectation for the day. When I feel only 'bad' and not brain-dead I am delighted.

Actually I might go to a different doctor. I'll chase down my original Aussie doctor who seemed to actually care. He's a fair way away from me but I think it's worth the trip.

Edited by Esoparagon, 13 November 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#132 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

OK well I'm on medicare since I have no money.

The Medicare protocol for screening patients who have not yet been diagnosed with a thyroid function problem is to test TSH and only if the result of this test is outside the reference range to test Free T4. Medicare will only fund screening tests which satisfy this protocol. Medicare monitors doctors’ and laboratories’ observance of this protocol.
A typical (statistical) reference range for thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) in many laboratories is around 0.2-5.5 mU/L. If TFH is lower, this indicates Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and if it is higher, it indicates Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).

This means I can't get my T4 checked for free. I have some money but I'll have to ask the price.

#133 KieranA001

• 403 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've been hearing good things about Alpha brain. Have you tried any of that? I know it's expensive but I guess it's worth it. I would try some for mine as well the only thing I'm not sure about is if you stop it, weather it will make you feel like shit where you've gotten used to it. :/ hmm, it's a tricky one...

#134 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

I took my temperature today - twice to make sure it was correct. 35.6 Celsius.

#135 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

I think that most people here don't know celsius or the metric system. Was it first thing in the morning?

#136 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

I think that most people here don't know celsius or the metric system. Was it first thing in the morning?

Come on America, get with the (metric) system! :laugh: It was in the morning a few hours after waking I think. 96.08 F

https://www.google.c...fficial&spell=1

Edited by Esoparagon, 17 November 2013 - 03:40 AM.

• like x 1

#137 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Our drug dealers know the metric system. If that's accurate, that's low! Try taking it before you get out of bed and record it for your doctors. It will probably be even worse.

#138 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

I took my temperature today - twice to make sure it was correct. 35.6 Celsius.

According to the link provided by JBForrester, it is a full degree © too low...

Your temperature should be between 36.5 and 36.7 degrees Celsius. If it is higher you may suffer from hyperthyroid, and if it is lower, you most likely suffer from hypothyroid...

Edited by blood, 19 November 2013 - 02:35 AM.

#139 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well I have 3 months to get this sorted. Just had my last exam and did well enough. I have to get this sorted.

Edited by Esoparagon, 21 November 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#140 Shcshc11

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

How's it been so far?

#141 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

How's it been so far?

I'm still pretty bad. I think deep down I've given up hope. I guess I'm getting used to being dumb, forgetful, and fatigued. I dunno. I don't think there's any hope. And I've put on a whole bunch of weight which sucks. Thanks for asking :)

#142 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

How's it been so far?

I'm still pretty bad. I think deep down I've given up hope. I guess I'm getting used to being dumb, forgetful, and fatigued. I dunno. I don't think there's any hope. And I've put on a whole bunch of weight which sucks. Thanks for asking :)

So you've decided not to go to a proper endo? I guess it's your choice and freedom to do what you want. But I want to let you know that I'm rooting for your health, and I deep down hope that you decide against letting this rule your life.

#143 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I highly recommend reading Datis Kharrazian's “Why Isn't My Brain Working?"

It's a phenomenal book and I just started reading it. So far, I've learned about how harmful gluten is to even people without celiac disease.

#144 Pound

• 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Immediately get on a elimbation diet. Avoid all gluten containing foods ( wheat, barley, rye etc), casein containing products (all dairy, including eggs), all soy containing foods and all processed foods. You must not consume any artificial flavours and preservatives. Do this for 3 weeks. I will gurantee you that you will start to feel better.

Check out this link. Students who were complaining with a diverse range of problems with their academic and social life improved drastically after going gluten, casein free for 3 months. If you had problems since a child then these food sensitives are the problem.

http://www.drkaslow....onnection_.html

I too have gone done the endocrinology root and found out I has low testosterone and got treated for that, but it didn't solve my issues.

#145 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

Eggs do not contain casein...

#146 bzyb

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

I'm not really sure what brain fog is, but I've had a tough time with sleep/awake times last couple months. I'm not quite completely recovered yet, but what has given me a bit more clarity so far is high doses of piracetam (everything seems a bit clearer) and CPAP. I did a sleep study, and there was some major apneas/low oxygen so that can mess you up I guess. So I'm trying the CPAP. The next thing I'm going to try is to get all the metal out of my mouth, because I heard mercury can do the same thing.

#147 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

How's it been so far?

So you've decided not to go to a proper endo? I guess it's your choice and freedom to do what you want. But I want to let you know that I'm rooting for your health, and I deep down hope that you decide against letting this rule your life.

I still don't know how to given I think I need a referal if I want it to be covered by medicare. I will have to have a look. I just feel so bad about it because everyone is making me feel like such a crazy person for even thinking of it.

-------------
It had gotten a bit better for a few weeks such that I felt like I could function reasonably even though it was still there. I'm still waiting to do a sleep study. I've been eating lots of fresh vegetables lately and making sure to get in my fish oil every day, and enough of everything else. Sadly, for some reason it has gotten bad again. It is back to being bad enough for me to think life would not be worth living if this is how my brain is going to be every day. What is the point of a life where you incapable of feeling normal let alone achieving things and feeling happy. This is not depression this is just a cold evaluation. Once again, I'm not sad about anything other than the brain fog itself. I get up every day and struggle through my day with a gigantuan effort. And then I don't remember anything and it takes me a very long time to understand anything compared to how I used to be. This is a very defeating feeling. I'm putting in 300% more effort and getting 15% of the results I used to. And I feel like utter crap the whole day. I mentioned this to my girlfriend and felt like I should just have never said anything. No one understands and everyone just assumes I need a coffee or to relax.

The gluten suggestions are nice but I have eaten next to no gluten for years because I don't eat wheat. Leading up to the brain fog I rarely ate it at all and then only in small quantities (to please my gf). If it were up to me I'd never eat wheat products at all. It's possible a tiny amount caused a problem, I suppose. I'm fat because of chocolate, no other reason.

I've been having lot of intense bloating and pain in my stomach area. I think it might be related to my brain fog.

#148 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

Still waiting for the sleep study? If you pay out of pocket for Chinese Medicine in the US it can take a few days or weeks to get an appointment. Some don't even require appointments. I have one acupuncturist I can go to without an appointment so it takes minutes to get in to see him.

Edited by Luminosity, 18 February 2014 - 04:14 AM.

#149 Esoparagon

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

Still waiting for the sleep study? If you pay out of pocket for Chinese Medicine in the US it can take a few days or weeks to get an appointment. Some don't even require appointments. I have one acupuncturist I can go to without an appointment so it takes minutes to get in to see him.

Well I've received the letter and now waiting for them to call me. If they don't call in 8 weeks from receiving the letter then I am to call them.

I'm getting by. It's a drudgery of an existence but I guess I am more used to it now. Some days are particularly bad, other days are not as bad, but it never goes away. The days where it's not as bad are a tease of a life I fear I'll never have again.

Uni is so hard with this thing. All I have time for is study and assignments.

Oh well, no one is coming to help me. I have hope I'll get better one day.

Anyway, I don't have much money.

I stay as positive as is possible but I don't 'feel' happy feelings much because my brain is dead lol. The juice just isn't there.

Edited by Esoparagon, 25 March 2014 - 12:46 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#150 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

Save yourself, Cinderella!

Edited by Luminosity, 25 March 2014 - 05:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain fog, mental fog, help, please, fog, tired, fatigue, hypothyroid, thyroid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users