- - - - -

23andme correlated suppliments

suppliments 23andme

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carlcrott

• 30 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Does anyone know about a service like this?

Surely we can get useful data from within the genotypes?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

There's useful data in there, but I don't know of any company that will take your 23andMe results and tell you which supplements to take. I've seen at least one company that will do their own genetic testing (which probably isn't as good as 23andMe) and then sell you custom-selected overpriced supplements. I've forgotten their name... The best thing to do at the moment would probably be to download your 23andMe data, then upload it to Promethease. That's the best service I've seen so far for picking out the important/interesting stuff in your data. You could then look at the results, and ask around here regarding the treatment of anything that seems important. Two things you really should know about (that are hidden away in your 23andMe results) are your ApoE genotype and your folate metabolism type. The reason I think it's important to know these is that they both give you actionable information about diet and supplement/drug use that can have a significant impact on your health.
  • like x 5
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bigsend

• 54 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

NutraHacker does this (www.nutrahacker.com)

Edited by bigsend, 17 December 2013 - 09:37 PM.

• like x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

NutraHacker does this (www.nutrahacker.com)

Thanks for the find, bigsend. That's a pretty interesting site. They've collected 160 SNPs that they will run your data against, then for each one (if you have the risk allele) tell you what you should or shouldn't take for it. They say:

We began with Dr. Yasko's list of genes then added genes from a wide range of topics such as:

• Vitamin processing
  • Liver detoxification
  • Neurotransmitter metabolism
  • Health conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, anxiety, and depression
Your report will clarify your specific genetic needs and deficiencies by explaining which mutations exist in your genome,
what a normally functioning gene does and how a particular mutation affects your own health. Your report will include
informed and scientifically-based recommendations on supplementation to optimize your personal biology.

The fee for this is $37. You could find the rs numbers for some of these elsewhere, including their free sample report, then look them up individually at 23andMe using the browse your data tool. It's probably worth the 37 bucks to avoid that, unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.

Where it gets dicey is with their advice. They don't say anything about the quality of the evidence it's based on, or about the magnitude of the effects one might expect from the errant SNP, which is kind of a recipe for a bum steer. In some cases the advice can be conflicting, telling you to take something for SNP 1 and to avoid it for SNP 2. I think the main value of this service is in bringing SNPs to your attention, but you should really do some research on that SNP before taking a substance on that basis. Essentially, they are over-interpreting the literature, if you ask me. You might very well find something useful in the report, but it would be up to you to separate the wheat from the chaff.
  • Informative x 1

#5 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

More info here:

http://www.longecity...ritional-needs/

Howard

#6 bigsend

• 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Where it gets dicey is with their advice. They don't say anything about the quality of the evidence it's based on, or about the magnitude of the effects one might expect from the errant SNP, which is kind of a recipe for a bum steer. In some cases the advice can be conflicting, telling you to take something for SNP 1 and to avoid it for SNP 2. I think the main value of this service is in bringing SNPs to your attention, but you should really do some research on that SNP before taking a substance on that basis. Essentially, they are over-interpreting the literature, if you ask me. You might very well find something useful in the report, but it would be up to you to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The blog goes into detail on a few specific genes to show how recommendations are made. The magnitude of an effect can vary by many factors - the big questions are what does the published research say, is the polymorphism heterozygous/homozygous, and are there other coexisting polymorphisms. When you try to assess secondary effects things get very complicated very fast. When you have two polymorphisms that each have their own effect occuring at the same time, the overall effect must be determined empirically.

I agree, the main value comes from having these polymorphisms brought to your attention so you can do your own reading on the topic. However, the recommendations are founded in science and are also a good source of information to research along with the polymorphisms. Generally, it is better to supplement with something that bypasses a non-functional mutation, an inducer for a low-expression mutation, and avoid compounds that will not be broken down as effectively due to a polymorphism.

#7 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

There's useful data in there, but I don't know of any company that will take your 23andMe results and tell you which supplements to take. I've seen at least one company that will do their own genetic testing (which probably isn't as good as 23andMe) and then sell you custom-selected overpriced supplements. I've forgotten their name... The best thing to do at the moment would probably be to download your 23andMe data, then upload it to Promethease. That's the best service I've seen so far for picking out the important/interesting stuff in your data. You could then look at the results, and ask around here regarding the treatment of anything that seems important. Two things you really should know about (that are hidden away in your 23andMe results) are your ApoE genotype and your folate metabolism type. The reason I think it's important to know these is that they both give you actionable information about diet and supplement/drug use that can have a significant impact on your health.

When translating the conventions from the SNPedia link you provide to the 23andme "language", the statement:

".. Homozygous rs1801133(T;T) individuals have ~30% of the expected MTHFR enzyme activity, and rs1801133(C;T) heterozygotes have ~65% activity, compared to the most common genotype, rs1801133(C;C)..."

should be read replacing (T;T), (C;T) and (C;C) with (A;A), (G;A) and (G;G) respectively, right? Just wish to be sure my understanding is correct as I am no expert :unsure:

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

When translating the conventions from the SNPedia link you provide to the 23andme "language", the statement:

".. Homozygous rs1801133(T;T) individuals have ~30% of the expected MTHFR enzyme activity, and rs1801133(C;T) heterozygotes have ~65% activity, compared to the most common genotype, rs1801133(C;C)..."

should be read replacing (T;T), (C;T) and (C;C) with (A;A), (G;A) and (G;G) respectively, right? Just wish to be sure my understanding is correct as I am no expert :unsure:

Yep, you're correct. a=t & c=g. See SNPedia's article on orientation here.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suppliments, 23andme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users