cancer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadok

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

As you may remember, my father has pancreatic cancer.
Sorry I've been unable to answer you all, as you may imagine I've been busy lately, I made up a complete suplement protocol though. I'll detail it latter if anyone is interested.

I'm wondering about fasting during chemo, which seems to be very profitable, for both main effects and side effect. Ketogenic diet work on the same principle but I didn't find any study or documentation (or even testimonials) for using it during a chemo. Do you guys have something to feed me?

As always I'm very thankful for all your answers :)

Edited by Shadok, 01 September 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Not sure who told you that but a ketogenic diet is a very low carb diet and under a certain carb thresold the body will start producing cortisol in order to counter hypoglycemia, cortisol is an immunosuppressant and I'm not sure your father needs that.
Also if he has a pancreatic cancer then a ketogenic diet could be dangerous and cause extreme hypoglycemia.
A ketogenic diet could work against cancer even though that's not entirely proven but it would take quite a long time because you need to tell your body to stop using carbs and start using fat as a fuel.

Using antioxidants and stopping inflammation first would be more effective against cancer : lots of omega 3 (always combine with vitamin E 400UI minimum), revesratrol, NAC, vitamin C could be of a help, there are many others out there

If you want to change his diet, I would suggest to stop eating any kind of processed food, stop eating refined sugar (use stevia NOT purevia NOT truvia which are bogus, sucralose or xylitol instead), stop using vegetable oils (olive oil is an exception) however ban colza, sunflower and other nasty oils, stop drinking coffee (because that puts a strain on adrenals and cause cortisol spikes), no alcohol, no smoking as well.

Boosting his immune system could be of a help : zinc is certainly beneficial, ashwagandha, vitamin D, vitamin E, Se methyl L selenocysteine (200mcg and never exceed that dose or take selenium supplements with it)

These can be combined together very easily without significant risks.

Edited by renfr, 01 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

• dislike x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Not sure who told you that but a ketogenic diet is a very low carb diet and under a certain carb thresold the body will start producing cortisol in order to counter hypoglycemia, cortisol is an immunosuppressant and I'm not sure your father needs that.
Also if he has a pancreatic cancer then a ketogenic diet could be dangerous and cause extreme hypoglycemia.
A ketogenic diet could work against cancer even though that's not entirely proven but it would take quite a long time because you need to tell your body to stop using carbs and start using fat as a fuel.

Please provide some cites to back up your claims of a low-carb diet causing (a) high cortisol, (b) immunosuppression, © extreme hypoglycemia and (d) taking a long time for the body to adapt to burning fat. The ketogenic diet is no miracle cure, but here's a lot of evidence suggesting it slows tumor growth.

#4 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Please provide some cites to back up your claims of a low-carb diet causing (a) high cortisol, (b) immunosuppression, © extreme hypoglycemia and (d) taking a long time for the body to adapt to burning fat. The ketogenic diet is no miracle cure, but here's a lot of evidence suggesting it slows tumor growth.

It's basic science, if your body runs out of glucose it will start producing cortisol to fight off the induced stress and break down glycogen, on long term the body will know that its source of energy is ketones and not carbs and then cortisol will lower but firstly there will be a period with cortisol spikes and this takes some time.
And this period can be a bit dangerous for someone with a cancer or with a poor immune system.
Immunosuppression is the result of the cortisol spike.

Better have a moderate carb consumption for a cancer patient than have his entire immune system suppressed even for some weeks, just saying.

Here's a little study (there are many others as well) : http://www.zonediet....og/2012/10/927/

He could take loads of vitamin C, zinc, NAC and other stuff to cope with the cortisol spike.

#5 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Here are some other articles to consider.

Enhancement of Cancer Therapy Using Ketogenic Diet
http://www.springerl...363g422712m645/

Reduction in serum leptin and IGF-1 but preserved T-lymphocyte numbers and activation after a ketogenic diet in rheumatoid arthritis patients
http://www.clinexprh...icle.asp?a=1581
(after 7 days levels of IGF-1 [a significant growth factor] and leptin [which also contributes to tumor progression] had dropped nearly 50%)

A Low Carbohydrate, High Protein Diet Slows Tumor Growth and Prevents Cancer Initiation
http://cancerres.aac...71/13/4484.full

Is there a role for carbohydrate restriction in the treatment and prevention of cancer?
http://www.nutrition.../content/8/1/75

Carbohydrate restriction, prostate cancer growth, and the insulin-like growth factor axis
http://onlinelibrary....20683/abstract

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

P.S. A confounding element of these studies is that carbs are sometimes replaced with animal-derived protein. This can negate the benefits through different pathways (for example, due to higher levels of iron from meat or casein from cow's milk), maybe even make things worse. A sensible intervention would be to reduce grains and sugars, replacing them with vegetables.

I personally wouldn't cut out fruits, and might even increase them somewhat, but this is a matter of debate due to their sugar content. A good compromise might be to focus on blueberry extract, pomegranate extract, etc.

Edited by joelcairo, 02 September 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users