need some advice on sups

multi vitamin omega 3 protein powder cod probiotics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

hiya,

male, 32, middle eastern descent, living in holland (not a lot of sunlight), i practice combat sports.

Lately i noticed i need more time to recover after exercise, if i hike for 2 hours my hip area feels sore, my knees too but less than hips. Also in the past 1 or 2 years i have lost weight, especially in my face. Losing a lot of the fat under my skin, an aging thing right?

So i'm looking for some benefit in supplements etc.

I have just ordered creatine (micronized creapure-monohydrate), cheap and well studied, which may help me a bit in recovery/mental harpness/volume.

next i am looking for a multivitamin but it's been difficult to find consensus on that, after reading this forum i came to aor multi 3 since vimmortal is'nt available anymore. The problem is i don't know where to get it from, i'm reluctant to buy it from a canadian or american webshop. Does anyone know a good source for me in holland?

Then some omega 3, i have used morepa platinum before, i never notice a thing but i'll keep with it unless it's clear one should not take omega 3 supps. This time i want to try http://www.minami-nu...site/omenaq.php this one maybe, it has vitamin d3, k7 and ubiquinol added. What do you guys think of it, anything better that i can order easily?

And something i've been looking for is a proper protein powder, no additives, no sugars, no lactose, no flavouring neccessary, not even stevia cause it will most probably be stevia powder which causes a stinging pain in my head. I was once considering hemp protein but it's pricey. Which product has consensus good stuff only, and available for me in holland.

thanks a lot if you can help me.

#2 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hey, as a source I suggest iherb , I am in europe too but their delivery only costs 4$ and takes about 2 weeks which is very decent considering their prices. (you'll find AOR and most of the other supps you need). I don't buy from EU shops anymore, the mark up is incredible.

First I would question why you want to supplement with a multi vitamin? Even AOR is far from perfect.
A much more sensible approach would be to log your food intake on http://cronometer.com/ for a week and supplement to palliate your deficencies.

Concerning your weight loss; you might have been on a calorie deficit without realising it. That much exercice will tax your body for sure. Are you on CR?

The omega 3 product you've linked seems good. A bit pricey tho.

As for the protein powder I would advise against it; there's mounting evidence for moderating your protein intake and especially specific BCAAs such as methionine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hey, as a source I suggest iherb , I am in europe too but their delivery only costs 4$ and takes about 2 weeks which is very decent considering their prices. (you'll find AOR and most of the other supps you need). I don't buy from EU shops anymore, the mark up is incredible.

First I would question why you want to supplement with a multi vitamin? Even AOR is far from perfect.
A much more sensible approach would be to log your food intake on http://cronometer.com/ for a week and supplement to palliate your deficencies.

Concerning your weight loss; you might have been on a calorie deficit without realising it. That much exercice will tax your body for sure. Are you on CR?

As for the protein powder I would advise against it; there's mounting evidence for moderating your protein intake and especially specific BCAAs such as methionine.

There are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine. Methionine is an essential amino acid, but not BCAA.

#4 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

There are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine. Methionine is an essential amino acid, but not BCAA.

Thanks for the clarification.

#5 alan.r

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm also involved in athletics and have a fairly physical job. At my age (48) low testosterone is the most common problem in recovery times, but it can be an influence at any age. I take Cordyceps as a general support for that, and Rhodiola as well. I don't know how much they help, but I can do a great deal of work and my recovery time is reasonable.

I took a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement for a long time, but studies showed they actualy don't perform any better than a placebo. I dropped them a couple years ago and notice no difference.

I take a whey protein supplement that seems to work well, "Body Fortress" brand that Walmart sells here. I mix it up with a little gatorade (electrolyte) powder for better taste. I suppose its not much different than most protein drink mixes, but it does mix up easy, is cheap and continues to taste good over the long-term. I'm a cyclist, and that's been my reliable before, during and after drink for years now.

I did take creatine regularly at one time, but more as a nootropic. Studies show that it has an immediate effect on taking it (for 24 hours or so), but that your body adjusts and the effect diminishes if you continue; so its one of those things that is better and more effective if just used occasionally rather than daily.

Edited by alan.r, 28 September 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#6 nickdino

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

damn, so the idea was get me some basics, however. Protein powder is adviced against since one ought to keep their protein consumption moderate, which i intended to do anyway. Omega 3: well, triglycerides, ethyl esters or phospholipids? rancidity an issue or not? enteric coating or not? I'm pretty sure without testing for it that i could use a vitamin d supp. so there was this omega3 with vit-d3, ubiquinol and vit-k2 mk7 but also adviced against because of the process to get these ingredients together probably doesn't do good to the product in the end. Then multivitamin as a convenient safetynet, i thought it could be aor multi basics 3, no sir: AOR'S is the DUMBEST, most retarded vitamin formulation EVER MADE, for the single fact that almost ALL of them contain NAC ( N-ACETYL-CESTEiNE ) which ANNIHILATES all mucous membranes ! i've taken AOR for like 3+ years, and i feel like TOTAL SHiT now from all the NAC, and god knows what, i can't even take a SINGLE dose of them anymore, because my eyes immediately become dry and stining, and my nose goes all dry inside,
like WTF MAN, fucking AOR and their bs .

EVERYONE should go with Vimmortal !!!!!!!!!
- "hallucinogen"

Good news is that i can regard iherb.com as a source because their shipping rates to europe ought to be very low. Their catalogue is huge..

So what to do now? i still want my basics covered, and since i can order from iherb i'll make this my default source.

I was just reading about spirulina, could that replace a multivitamin? i'll probably get a vit-d and a vit-k seperate (or together if possible) which ones from iherb are best?

hmm, help me out her plz. getting overwhelmed a bit.

holy cows, check this out: http://www.iherb.com/Trial-Pricing how is this possible? but it's mainly 3 brands: nutrex, healthy origins and herbatint, some now foods and some jarrows and minami omega-3 60 caps for just $1.95?? wtf. Are they dumping this because they are too old or what?

#7 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

The consensus seems to be to avoid a multi with copper and iron (unless you have a diagnosed deficiency)

One of these/ day seems like a safe option:
http://www.iherb.com...-Capsules/46679

You'd need to take a separate supplement for K2.

Edited by blood, 29 September 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#8 nickdino

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

hi, 2 more questions i couldn't find a clear answer to, first is cod liver oil better for us than omega 3 fish oils, since it has vit a and d naturally. Mercola isn't too keen on cod liver oil anymore since it can lead to vit-A overdosing. http://articles.merc...oil-update.aspx Basicly, my search is still to find a regimen that covers the essentials, so what is my best source for omega-3's? for now i have lef super omega enteric coated standing, and i was considering nordic naturals cod liver oil but i see that it has minute traces of vit-d, so perhaps the one that mercola advices in the article? better than whatever omega 3 capsule?

next, probiotics. I think a lot of benefit can be had from optimum gutcondition. So i've narrowed it down to the following two products: jarrow dophilius eps http://www.iherb.com...60-Capsules/124 and vsl#3 http://www.vsl3.com/. I read something about probiotics with a superior delivery system but didn't find any product using that, so from the two which one is superior?

#9 nickdino

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

jarrow dophilus: The strains in Jarro-Dophilus EPS are selected from the following 4 genera:
Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Lactococcus and Pedicoccus.

vsl#3: The 8 strains are:
  • Bifidobacterium breve
  • Bifidobacterium longum
  • Bifidobacterium infantis
  • Lactobacillus acidophilus
  • Lactobacillus plantarum
  • Lactobacillus paracasei
  • Lactobacillus bulgaricus
  • Streptococcus thermophilus
which one's better?

#10 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Rationale for low pricing of some products at iherb:

1. Iherb's rationale: These specials make people more prone to shop. And people tend to want to cram a lot in their basket once they actually order something.
2. The manufacturer's rationale: Drawing attention to their brand, getting more people to try it, creating a buzz and getting more reviews. Potential customers looking for a particular supplement will tend to go with the ones that have more favourable reviews. Once there's enough favourable reviews, the process is more or less self-perpetuating.

#11 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi nickdino,
Sounds like some kind of lipodystrophy. Have you had any medical tests done and what does your typical diet look like? You might have metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. I don't think any of the supplements listed will really help, besides vitamin D&K which should be taken by nearly everyone. Omega 3 might help or might make it worse.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 nickdino

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

i'm gonna see my doctor about this. the reason i haven't done so yet is because of the management crisis a.k.a financial crisis that has made healthcare expensive regardless of insurance. But this is worth it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multi vitamin, omega 3, protein powder, cod, probiotics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users