• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol worsens multiple sclerosis? or not....

resveratrol multiple sclerosis

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 TyroneGenade

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Hello,

Resveratrol killing neurons is not new: Liu, Dong, et al. "Nicotinamide prevents NAD+ depletion and protects neurons against excitotoxicity and cerebral ischemia: NAD+ consumption by SIRT1 may endanger energetically compromised neurons." Neuromolecular medicine 11.1 (2009): 28-42.

Resveratrol should be given in ethanol (100%) as it is unstable in water. In an aqueous environment of ph 6 and above it will break down into cis-resveratrol and then oxidize. (A friend who measures the polyphenol content of teas has to make up fresh trans-resveratrol in 100% ethanol every day for standard curves.) This the case for many polyphenolics including EGCG, anthrocyanins etc... This, of course, makes the study of trans-resveratrol nearly impossible, and why I pretty much gave up on using "resveratrol" in experiments. You have little control of what you are adding, just what is having the effect and where...

#32 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

I had just bought some nicotinamide. I read a book to get real niacin instead (the one that gives you "flush", nicotinic acid). Anyway, am just reading that nicotinamide serves its purpose as well so I am trying it out. I'm reading that nicotinic acid (niacin) is not as "active" as NAD. I'm still not understanding what NAD+ is or NADH. I know they are some derivative of NAD. anyone know?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

Resveratrol should be given in ethanol (100%) as it is unstable in water. In an aqueous environment of ph 6 and above it will break down into cis-resveratrol and then oxidize. (A friend who measures the polyphenol content of teas has to make up fresh trans-resveratrol in 100% ethanol every day for standard curves.) This the case for many polyphenolics including EGCG, anthrocyanins etc... This, of course, makes the study of trans-resveratrol nearly impossible, and why I pretty much gave up on using "resveratrol" in experiments. You have little control of what you are adding, just what is having the effect and where...

Tyrone, I think your friend is spinning you, or else they are confused.  The resveratrol trans isomer is the more stable of the two, and the cis isomer will spontaneously convert to it.  Not the other way around.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#34 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Not sure if trans resveratrol is what is being sold by bulk powder sellers out there. There is no note of it.

#35 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

I've read of people taking 1.5 g of nicotinamide but also read that it can be toxic in excess of 3 g daily. What's your dose?

• Off-Topic x 3

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Not sure if trans resveratrol is what is being sold by bulk powder sellers out there. There is no note of it.

It's all trans.  Cis is unstable. 

#37 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:35 AM

which has higher resveratrol levels between types of grapes? I first heard of and tried muscadine grapes this past week and upon looking it up there were mixed information regarding its amount of resveratrol content on its skin. Some have said it has the highest while others said very little. Would concord grapes happen to have some resveratrol as well?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#38 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

I doubt that any grapes will have enough resveratrol to write home about. 

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol, multiple sclerosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users