• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Ritalin/Stimulant induced anxiety. What helps?

ritalin anxiety adderall methylphenidate amphetamine caffeine coffee

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

ive been trying to find a way to deal with the mild Ritalin induced anxiety. (i take low doses of 5-10mg)

im trying really hard to avoid Benzos at the moment due to proposed memory side effects. (The simulant anxiety is controlled even with a 0.125mg Clonazepam for me)

Ive found L-theanine does mildly help in 150mg doses, and im a little apprehensive of increasing L-theanine doses (paranoid about some GABA amnestic action?)

Ive tried Strattera, helped in some way, but got really angry as i tapered up the doses.

I tried Bacopa, which helped mildly, and im still on it.

Im thinking of getting some Magnesium L threonate soon, and possibly it will help in addition.

I also have mild doses of inositol ready (100-200mg at night), but i havent tried it before.

What has helped you guys the best?

Edited by FocusPocus, 05 October 2013 - 01:45 PM.

• like x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

I cant tolerate ethylphenidate/ritalin without phenibut added to clonazepam, with amphetamine just a low benzo dose takes care of the anxiety.

As an aside my laptop broke but i hope to contribute more to the forum again, using the library atm.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jonnyD

• 181 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Try Ashwagandha. It has a similar effect like Bacopa regarding anxiety... but way stronger.

#4 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Interesting, well I take 1000mg of caffeine, 55mg of adderall, 80mg of strattera, 2 mg of tenex, and 150mg of effexor. i honestly prefer no benzos. I got tolerant over the years. 1.5-3g of ashwangdha with 750mg bacopa aint bad.
  • dislike x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#5 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

mmmmh As far As I'm concerned when ""the honey moon" with stims vanished, it was the beggining of the end. Now even MDMA can induce me some anxiety (I don't take this anymore but that was true)
You can try Afobazol, I think it would increase the therapeutic effect of the Ritalin. L-theanine is safe and good! (Taurine/L-theanine) + Magneisum L threonate + bacopa + afobazol seem to be the right combo !

#6 TVO

• 161 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Phenibut will kill any anxiety for sure. Don't go over 3 grams or you might may not be able to walk for a couple of hours.

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Stopping ritalin.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 FocusPocus

• Topic Starter
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Try Ashwagandha. It has a similar effect like Bacopa regarding anxiety... but way stronger.

Thanks. I should give this a try. When i tried Ashwagandha alone, it made me sleepy and i quit thinking it could be GABA like causing memory deficits. Combining with Ritalin should be the way to go.

Interesting, well I take 1000mg of caffeine, 55mg of adderall, 80mg of strattera, 2 mg of tenex, and 150mg of effexor. i honestly prefer no benzos. I got tolerant over the years. 1.5-3g of ashwangdha with 750mg bacopa aint bad.

I hate benzos too. fks up my memory a lot, and i threw it away. Now every nootropic that has GABA mentioned somewhere makes me paranoid lol.
Strattera worked nicely for me with Ritalin but on the third day on 18mg + 10mg doses, i got worked up and very angry at my ex gf and plotted her destruction. I had some galantamine in my system too. Im thinking of using a 10mg twice daily Strattera dose.
DO you think such low doses could offer a mild help?

mmmmh As far As I'm concerned when ""the honey moon" with stims vanished, it was the beggining of the end. Now even MDMA can induce me some anxiety (I don't take this anymore but that was true)
You can try Afobazol, I think it would increase the therapeutic effect of the Ritalin. L-theanine is safe and good! (Taurine/L-theanine) + Magneisum L threonate + bacopa + afobazol seem to be the right combo !

Thanks! Where does one buy Afobazol? Seems to have awesome reviews!

Edited by FocusPocus, 05 October 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#9 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Im very skeptical they help stim anxiety, bacopa def didnt for me.

#10 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

no offense guys but these are all extremely small doses you shouldn't really feel anything. Have you guys considered my CBT? Perhaps you guys have anxiety issues as well.

#11 jonnyD

• 181 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Im very skeptical they help stim anxiety, bacopa def didnt for me.

Did you try it?
Ashwagandha helps me better with stim anxiety than most Benzos. But i do not like Benzos at all... they have a strange effect on me.

#12 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Piracetam seems to cut the anxiety from ritalin. 4.8g of it. Testoster one to estrogen ratio in men is important.

#13 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Regular exercise can help maintain the bodies positive response to psycho-stimulants. Psychostimulants cause a release of cortisol causing muscle tissue to be broken down to provide a nice surge of energy caused by increased blood glucose levels, however when you get out of shape and eat unhealthy, those same psycho-stimulants are going to cause a more messy response. I got the same way with MDMA and methylphenidate, after overusing both I became very unhealthy, depressed and every time I used again the effects got shittier and shittier. Instead of looking for another quick fix to add on to your stack, try and solve the problem at the root, which is most likely fitness.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#14 2crack

• 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

I highly don't recommend taking benzos often. Benzos cause permanent cognitive impairment.

#15 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

I've been taking pregabalin again, which is helping me with both sleep and anxiety, and am considering amphetamine therapy yet again, and thinking they may perhaps go well together at their respective times, but I'll report further if I actually do follow through with this. I'm guessing pregabalin would smooth out that anxiety.

Do you find the Tenex to help at all with the stim anxiety/ side effects? It seems to be more of a "slow down"/ "Calm down" drug for some people.

Unfortunately I don't think I can take Tenex due to its side effects that it has on me personally, However I've heard that the combination of Tenex (Guanfacine) and stimulants is actually recommended or effective in some cases. (combination is often used in children treated with stims, I've heard a couple of adults saying it worked for them).

#16 Raz007

• 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Honestly men, this doesn't seems like an healthy combination.What concern me the most is the very high dosage is caffeine.. Strattera is a great medicine that usually prescribed as a substitute for stimulants- not sure if it gives the same benefits when combined with stimulants.

>> As for your question with Ritalin, as a regular ritalin user for many years- I can tell that Ritalin & anxiety definitely goes together.. sadly . I have managed to get some decent improvement when I tweak the dosage a little bit ( you need to try increase and decrease a little- and see what work the best , for example I found that when the dosage was too low i've experienced more anxiety.. strange I know..) , also switch to more advance ritalin formulation like concerta can help sometimes (tho I see that you already done it. try to switch to Conceta 36mg instead of 18g+ regular ritalin every 3\4 hours ). There's also the possibility combine ritalin treatment with some SSRI ( like Lustral for example) - when I tried this it has helped to diminish my Ritalin induced anxiety quite significantly

#17 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

The first thing you should do is actually have ADHD of some form.

Standard treatment options are 1. swap to Atomoxetine/combine the two, introduce clonidine or guanfacine as a s a single or combined with stim, Tralings bupropion or another stim 'like' drug.

L-theanine isn't going to cause memory abnormalities at doses thrice the theraputic one. You will find even benzo's don't have much of an effect on memory provided you don't take them daily. The only drug I've found to ever cause lasting memory problems was diphenhydramine - an anticholinergic.

lrd1, why the hell are you on that combo?
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Interesting, well I take 1000mg of caffeine, 55mg of adderall, 80mg of strattera, 2 mg of tenex, and 150mg of effexor.

Jesus Christ.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#19 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Interesting, well I take 1000mg of caffeine, 55mg of adderall, 80mg of strattera, 2 mg of tenex, and 150mg of effexor.

Jesus Christ.

10 mg diazepam on top of that will help with the anxiety...

#20 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Jesus Christ.

10 mg diazepam on top of that will help with the anxiety...

;)
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#21 bestbefore

• 48 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

I highly don't recommend taking benzos often. Benzos cause permanent cognitive impairment.

This is a very bold statement...Do you have any evidence for your claim?
  • like x 1

#22 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

The only drug I've found to ever cause lasting memory problems was diphenhydramine - an anticholinergic.

Bupropion which reportedly also has anticholinergic properties but it seemed to go away after a while of dropping it.

#23 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

My stack is extreme, I am reckless, atypical, and have personally studied neuroscience for thousands of hours. I do not recommend anyone do anything anything close to what I do. Rather than a guide book, I just hope to bring forth the possibility that maybe it isn't just the drugs but your underlying anxiety causing a lot of these side effects. These drugs do work however, most of how they work is below your conscious experience and id say especially when your dealing with doses literately 1000%-10,000% lower than what I take.

Exercise
Meditate
Progressive muscle relaxation
CBT
sleep 7-8 hours a night
eat a healthy diet

Then we can dive into endless gaba a gaba b a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 modulation antagonism agonism inhibitory post synaptic current that this and other stuff. I am sure everyone here does all these things but I am sure also everyone especially me can improve.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#24 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

I personally studied ethanol for thousands of hours. That means it's ok to drink 1l of Vodka per night.
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#25 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

The only drug I've found to ever cause lasting memory problems was diphenhydramine - an anticholinergic.

Bupropion which reportedly also has anticholinergic properties but it seemed to go away after a while of dropping it.

Try chain smoking joints every day for an entire year. Depends on the individual's ability to tolerate it of course, yet I suffered some severe reductions in personality, memory as good as collapsed like an old person would be. Literally lost shit all the time, left my keys in doors, couldn't plan to save my life and felt like too often time seemed to just slip past without me having a clue how I had been absent minded for such periods. Noopept is sorting most of these out issues now thank god :)

#26 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Oh tried that, wasn't so bad in my case... I always lose stuff anyway.

#27 Wu Hang

• 71 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

cdp choline + magnesium and melatonin before sleep. and regular exercising with tracking record of what you eat. seriously if one cant be responsible for his body, he doesnt deserve a mental boost. my friend uses joints to get relaxed, and it really affects his motivation for academic success.

#28 Anewlife

• 210 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

Switch to dexedrine.
From what I have heard ritalin is more anxiety inducing than dexedrine.

Edited by Anewlife, 12 October 2013 - 02:22 AM.

• like x 1

#29 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

It is unclear if ritalin is more anxiety inducing than dexedrine however, it is possible.

What is probable is that dexedrine is less anxiety inducing than adderall because the levoamphetamine has a strong "body load" and is less "clean"

Since dexedrine has fell out of favor due to abuse and just lack of patents, one more easy option would be vyvanse because lisdexamphetamine is a prodrug to dexamphetamine hence, spairing you of the levoamphetamine and some of the anxiety of a levo- formulation.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 neilsons

• 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

I had less anxiety when i switched to dexedrine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ritalin, anxiety, adderall, methylphenidate, amphetamine, caffeine, coffee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users