• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Rhodiola = MAOI, experienced cheese effect!

rhodiola maoi tyramine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 plawso2

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hey guys, been reading for a long time but never planned to create an account til now. I've been taking Rhodiola Rosea 3% extract for about 2 weeks and was having a great experience until 2 days ago. I read a few cases of it acting as a weak MAOI but most people say its nothing to be concerned about.

My girlfriend made us some super-cheesy lasagna on Sunday, which we kept eating til last night. First day was fine, then Monday I noticed myself trembling when I laid down and a weird feeling coming from my chest. Yesterday I forgot about it and ate some more lasagna. Within 10 minutes, I was shaking, dizzy, massive headache, heart almost felt like it was going to stop pumping, all the signs of hypertensive crisis. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.

So this is a warning to anybody taking Rhodiola Rosea. I have never shown sensitivity to tyramines and this hit me out of nowhere. I was eating excessive amounts of cheese for a couple days but only taking 100-200mg Rhodiola a day. So this could happen to anybody...

If you are taking rhodiola, you need to be aware of MAOI effect on tyramine!!!
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like what happened the time I had some syrian rue (an even more potent maoi, I used to potentiate psilocybin) , forgot about the contraindications and then drank 3 beers 8 hours later. Nearly fainted and had to remain seated for a good 2 hours, feeling like utter shit.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 plawso2

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yeah I noticed my reaction to alcohol was terrible on Saturday but thought I just drank too much. Kinda weird there's nothing out there about these interactions

#4 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

well I haven't experienced anything of the sort with rhodiala tho, and I took it quite extensively. Might be you are very sensitive to maoi or have a pre existing disposition to hypertension?
  • like x 1

#5 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Even with fairly strong Rhodiola preparations, I never had an issue. There are even people who stack it on top of SSRIs but I never dared to do that...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 plawso2

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Today I feel pretty slow and sick. Body is a bit shakey, coordination is way off, vision is kinda hard to focus on one thing, and stomach feels like its got something nasty coming my way.Anybody know how to speed up this recovery process?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rhodiola, maoi, tyramine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users