Photo

A Unified Theory Of Aging

viruses bacteria

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 htert2020

• 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

As a student of biological aging since 2005, I have seen many theories of aging, including the ever-so-popular free radical, mitochondria, and DNA damage theories of aging.

However, my gut feeling is that these theories, as wonderful as they may sound on paper, may not be giving us the FULL PICTURE of the aging process in a way that allows us to intervene effectively to reverse the aging process for infinite human lifespan.

I mean, they may be accurate, and they may be true. But are they giving us the FULL PICTURE? Is an accurate understanding of cellular aging the same thing as an accurate understanding of organismal aging?

How sure are we that by reversing aging in cells, we also harmoniously reverse aging of the organism? Or is the aging of cells merely a reaction that the cells have toward something else within the organism that is the actual root cause of aging?

I have always had the fear that when one holds onto a theory for too long, it eventually becomes dogma. No matter how great a theory is, it will always be part of a BIGGER PICTURE.

As such, I would like to suggest a different perspective on aging. It is one that I have heard about from no one else. It is a unified theory of aging that seems to explain all other theories of aging that I have so far encountered, including: (1) free radical theory, (2) mitochondrial theory, (3) DNA damage theory, (4) telomere theory, (5) stem cell theory, (6) neuroendocrine theory.

Recently, I have come across some new discoveries in the field of aging. These new discoveries embody an emerging field called “immunosenescence”. Immunosenescence is not a theory of aging per se. Rather, it seems to be embraced by people who consider the breakdown of the immune system to be at the “center stage” of the aging process itself.

My ventures into the world of immunosenescence have ignited a burning flame within my mind that just will not go away. Its ideas have triggered a unified theory of aging that seems to explains all other theories of aging.

Consider the following points:

Point #1:

All degenerative diseases of aging, including cancer, heart disease, atherosclerosis, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, and diabetes, appear to be caused by pathogenic microbes. Now, before you cry “heresy”, let me point out that a significant percentage of all cancers are confirmed by the mainstream research establishment to be caused by microbes: cervical cancer (papillomavirus), stomach cancer (helicobacter pylori), liver cancer (hepatitis B), Burkitt's lymphoma (Epstein Barr virus). Epstein Barr virus has also been implicated in Hodgkin’s disease, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, leiomyosarcomas, and epithelial malignancies [ http://clincancerres...t/10/3/803.full ].

But it's not just cancer. Heart disease appears to be caused by cytomegalovirus. Alzheimer's appears to be caused by an intracellular bacterium called chlamydia pneumoniae. Rheumatoid arthritis appears to be caused by Proteus bacteria, while Crohn's disease appears to be caused by subclinical bowel infections with Klebsiella microbes [ http://www.hindawi.c...ad/2012/539282/ ].

Point #2:

Microbes are everywhere in our environment, regardless of how “sterile” we think it is. There is a whole universe of microbes floating through our air that, until recently, have remained undiscovered by modern science. In fact, according to a New York Times article published in 2007, NASA has recently discovered that even in the most “sterile” environments previously thought to be 100% free of bacteria, there are actually HUGE QUANTITIES of bacteria that cannot be detected by modern-day methods of bacterial detection like cell culturing. Using a radical new method called ribosomal RNA gene sequence analysis, NASA had detected almost 100 different types of bacteria, in huge quantities, in all of its so-called “clean rooms” previously thought to be among the most sterile environments in the world [ http://www.nytimes.c...9clea.html?_r=0 ].

And I guess I do not have to remind you that our digestive systems are “swimming” with vast quantities of both “good” and “bad” bacteria that have persisted since the day we were born, and that all it takes is a minor imbalance in our immune systems to allow some of the “bad” bacteria to cross over into other parts of our bodies to cause harm and disease.

Point #3:

We are all suffering from chronic, low-grade infections that gradually increase with age. In addition, we never fully “get over” an acute infection or illness, especially a viral infection. Whatever major infectious illnesses you've had in the past, you are probably still battling it right now, albeit in a low-grade manner. In the field of immunosenescence, it is generally recognized that inflammatory biomarkers steadily increase with age.

Point #4:

Certain types of viruses permanently modify the chromosomal DNA of our stem cells through latent viral infection. These permanently altered stem cells then pass on the viral genes to their progeny. Some of these viral genes cause cellular senescence, while other viral genes cause abnormal cell replication that can lead to hyperplasia or cancer. Either way, all viral gene infections cause inflammation. This means that all of the stem cell's progeny can become either senescent or carcinogenic, as well as inflammatory. Entire areas of tissue can become senescent or carcinogenic from a single latent viral infection of a single stem cell. And viruses are everywhere! Remember, these chromosomal DNA changes are permanent and cannot be corrected through natural means. That is, they persist indefinitely. Over time, these viral stem cell infections accumulate as the organism “ages”.

Thus, viruses alone are adequate to explain the aging of entire tissues. But there's more...

Point #5:

Hematopoietic stem cells, the stem cells that give rise to all cells of the immune system, are the known target of at least several different viruses, including Human Herpes Virus (HHV)-6, Human Cytomegalovirus (HCMV), Measles virus, and the well-known HIV virus. This may age the immune system, which in turn, allows other pathogenic microbes to infect the hematopoietic stem cells, which in turn, further ages the immune system, which in turn, allows even more pathogenic microbes to infect the hematopoietic stem cells, as a vicious cycle toward the eventual death of the organism ensues.

The HIV virus, in particular, is known in the research community as a virus that appears to accelerate the human aging process. You heard me right. HIV appears to accelerate human aging. But don't take my word for it. Google the words, “HIV accelerated aging”.

Point #6:

Germline cells may be immune to viruses, as their cell surfaces may be void of virus-friendly receptors. Thus their DNA would be protected from viral senescence genes. This protects the species from instantaneous extinction.

Point #7:

Some pathogenic microbes can evade the immune system, regardless of how young or strong the immune system is. These include latent viruses such as cytomegalovirus, intracellular bacteria such as chlamydia pneumoniae, and nanobacteria (responsible for tissue calcification). This means that, even if you rejuvenate every cell of the body including immune cells, the organism will still eventually die of pathogenic microbes as they spread unimpeded.

Pathogenic microbes evolve faster than metazoan life forms such as humans, animals, and plants. HIV is a prime example of such fast evolution. Thus pathogenic microbes will always outcompete and overtake metazoan life forms.

Point #8:

As the immune system battles more infections, the pool of mature CD8+ T cells expands with age. Unfortunately, the pool of naïve CD4+ T cells diminishes, leaving the body vulnerable to new infections. This is irreversible. So even if you rejuvenate every cell of the body, this issue still needs to be resolved, and it is not a simple matter of cell rejuvenation.

Point #9:

Aging is inflammation, and inflammation is aging. All senescent cells are inflamed cells. All senescent cells express high levels of NF-kappaB. NF-kappaB is known for its role as the master signal of inflammation.

Inflammation causes free radicals and damage to cellular structures such as mitochondria, as the cell prepares to die through apoptosis. The free radical, mitochondria, and DNA damage theories of aging may be part of a bigger picture with inflammation at the center stage.

Fortunately, once the source of inflammation is removed, including removal of viral genes, the cell regains its normal operation. That is, it is no longer senescent.

Putting It All Together

So the unified theory is that pathogenic microbes ultimately cause all aging in humans, animals, and plants. Free radical damage, mitochondrial damage, and DNA damage are merely symptoms of inflammation that is ultimately caused by microbial infection. Infection of stem cells and their stromal niche cells fully explains all the symptoms reported by proponents of the stem cell theory of aging, where niche cells fail to secrete signals, and stem cells fail to respond to signals from the niche cells [ http://onlinelibrary...6/S0378-1097(03)00643-8/pdf ]. And under chronic inflammation facilitated by NF-kappaB, the TERT gene (telomerase reverse transcriptase) becomes methylated, preventing transcription factors from binding to TERT. This answers the mystery of why stem cells, which when young had expressed high levels of TERT, no longer express TERT as the organism ages, which also explains why and how stem cells age.

It is well known that aging is stochastic rather than uniform among a population of cells within a tissue. That is, given a population of tissue cells, a certain percentage of the cells are always senescent while the remaining cells are not. It may be because those senescent cells are directly or indirectly infected with pathogen. The “scheduled” stem cell turnover of tissues may be a compensatory mechanism by stem cells to keep tissues as young as possible, for as long as possible. It is worth pointing out that senescent cells are normally cleared out by macrophages, which are cells of the immune system, and that senescent cells always secrete pro-inflammatory cytokines. These inflammatory, cytokine-secreting, immune-system-attracting, senescent cells are probably infected with pathogen, for, as the saying goes, “If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, if it looks like a duck, then chances are, it's a duck.”

I have read somewhere that plants wither and die due to microbial infection. The nematode worm, C. elegans, typically dies of bacterial infection. The fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, typically dies with major inflammation of the digestive tract at the moment of death [ https://www.fightagi...d-flies-die.php ]. Laboratory mice typically die of cancer, which has been linked to viruses. And prior to the discovery of antibiotics, humans have often died of acute infections such as pneumonia. The list goes on and on.

The Solution

A suggested solution is: (1) Eliminate pathogens, (2) Reverse or nullify viral genes, or any other permanent and heritable damage, from stem cells, especially hematopoietic stem cells, or even more importantly, pluripotent stem cells such as VSELs (Very Small Embryonic-Like stem cells) or MIAMI cells, (3) Free up naïve T-cell space by eliminating a large percentage of mature T cells through such methods as, for example, targeted apoptosis.

Item (2) can be done by replacing the existing stem cells with young stem cells derived from induced pluripotent stem cells, which in turn, are derived from pristine germline cells unadulterated by viral infection. Young stem cells tend to outcompete old stem cells for niche space, so this should be a matter of simple intravenous injection of the young stem cells into the body.

Your Opinion

What is your opinion? I'd like to know...
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#2 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

htert2020,

I've been promoting the idea that microbes are the major cause of diseases and aging for several years on this board and know that there are some supporters to this view, while the majority remains undecided and a few strongly oppose it (among whom are notably moderators Mind and niner).

Couple of years ago I also came upon the information that colonization of a human body by microbes starts in utero (until recently it was thought that a healthy unborn in sterile).

Regarding your 'Solution', not sure what you mean. I personally believe in periodic 'bombing' of the resident bacteria with antibiotics followed by a fast. I have reasons to believe that one of the main effects of a long-term fast is elimination of intracellular microbes via upregulation of autophagy. The other relevant effect of a fast is the reboot of the immune system. (there are no direct references to both of these conjectures which are largely based on what I have learned about fasting)

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

here is one of the more recent relevant discussions on this with some links to other threads: http://www.longecity...-pain-patients/

the idea here is that pathogens are the cause in substantial number of chronic back pain cases.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

would you have a way to test it? A C elegans lifespan in a microbe-free environment -- would that be easily feasible?

#5 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

I don't think it's easy. First, C elegans feeds on microbes; second how do you ensure sterility with live creatures involved, when NASA could not in their space labs. I don't think sterility exists on this planet in principle. Finally, I recall Cynthia Kenyon mention in one of her talks that old C elegans die of infections.

Edited by xEva, 16 October 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#6 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

lots of info in op. not having time to google it all up and disregarding the single-etiology stance, does it verify?

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 htert2020

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Couple of years ago I also came upon the information that colonization of a human body by microbes starts in utero (until recently it was thought that a healthy unborn in sterile).

Absolutely it is possible for a fetus to be infected in the uterus. The mother and baby practically share the same blood system via umbilical cord. And we all know that the HIV virus can be transmitted from mother to fetus. Another virus that can be transmitted from mother to fetus is cytomegalovirus:

http://www.babycente...ancy_1418404.bc

"About 1 to 4 percent of previously uninfected women have a first (or primary) CMV infection during pregnancy. Among these women there's about a 30 to 50 percent chance that the baby will become infected in the womb. And the chance that the baby will end up with serious health problems from the virus is also much higher."

Remember that HIV and cytomegalovirus are lifetime infections. Once the fetus is infected with either of those two viruses, it will be plagued by them for the rest of his or her life.

Regarding your 'Solution', not sure what you mean. I personally believe in periodic 'bombing' of the resident bacteria with antibiotics followed by a fast. I have reasons to believe that one of the main effects of a long-term fast is elimination of intracellular microbes via upregulation of autophagy. The other relevant effect of a fast is the reboot of the immune system. (there are no direct references to both of these conjectures which are largely based on what I have learned about fasting)

Your conjectures here may be true, and taking these approaches may have a positive effect on the immune system. But they will not reverse latent viral infections in which the genomic DNA code of the body's hematopoietic stem cells have been modified to contain pro-aging genes that are ultimately passed onto all of the stem cell's progeny which include cells of the immune system. With a weakened immune system, other opportunistic viruses can swoop in and infect even more hematopoietic stem cells with even more pro-aging genes. This is a vicious cycle toward aging and death that cannot be cured by antibiotics.

For example, the HIV virus appears to accelerate the aging process:

http://positivelyawa...tes_aging.shtml

"Preliminary research is demonstrating that HIV-positive individuals are aging more quickly than HIV-negative individuals and that the HIV virus, itself, is a major culprit in causing this."

In addition, HIV appears fully capable of infecting hematopoietic stem cells in vivo:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1378076

Another example of a virus apparently driving the aging process is cytomegalovirus (CMV). In the following study, it has been demonstrated that an acute CMV infection in the brain can (1) target mainly neural stem cells, (2) decrease the number of neural stem cells, (3) decrease proliferation of the remaining neural stem cells, (4) decrease the neural stem cells' expression of Oct4 (a multipotency marker), (5) downregulate BDNF (a growth factor and known telomerase stimulator). These are all classic symptoms of aging.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3020957/

"In this study, we show that neural stem cells (NSCs) and neuronal precursor cells are the principal target cells for MCMV in the developing brain."

Unfortunately, most people are unaware of the central role that pathogenic microbes play in the aging process of all multicellular organisms on Earth, including humans, animals, and plants. Of those who are aware of this concept, most believe that it is the weakening of the immune system (due to "aging") that comes first, allowing the microbes to invade. However, my suggestion is that microbes -- particularly viruses carrying pro-aging genes -- are the ones who strike first, and the immune system ages because of the microbes, particularly the viral pro-aging genes. This leads to a vicious cycle. In my opinion, this possibility is worth investigating.

Let me know if you want to know more about my suggested solution involving stem cell engineering.

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:46 AM

Absolutely it is possible for a fetus to be infected in the uterus. The mother and baby practically share the same blood system via umbilical cord. And we all know that the HIV virus can be transmitted from mother to fetus. Another virus that can be transmitted from mother to fetus is cytomegalovirus

I was not talking about this. I was talking about a 'healthy' babe; not infected but colonized with gut microbes by the time he is born (for references look for the recent studies of meconium).

Your conjectures here may be true, and taking these approaches may have a positive effect on the immune system. But they will not reverse latent viral infections in which the genomic DNA code of the body's hematopoietic stem cells have been modified to contain pro-aging genes...

Yeah well I am an optimist and a realist. I am optimist about the body being able to repair itself when given a chance; and from what I've seen all it needs is a little help now and then fighting the constant microbial onslaught. I am a realist when it comes to solutions involving stem cell engineering -- it ain't happening anytime soon :)

Edited by xEva, 17 October 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#9 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

In the following experiments, rodents were raised from birth and then lived in sterile environments on a sterile diet(aka "germfree")and yet still died around the same time as control rodents living in non-sterile(but still possibly very hygienic) conditions:

1. Jikken Dobutsu. 1991 Oct;40(4):517-22.

Effects of germfree status and food restriction on longevity and growth of mice.

Tazume S(1), Umehara K, Matsuzawa H, Aikawa H, Hashimoto K, Sasaki S.

Author information:
(1)Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Kanagawa,
Japan.

An investigation was undertaken to study the effects of germfree (GF) status and
mild food restriction on life span in GF and specific pathogen-free (SPF) male
ICR mice either full-fed (ad libitum) or on a restricted diet of 4.5 grams per
day (equivalent to approximately 80% of full-fed intake) from five-week-old. The
mean life span of the full-fed SPF and GF mice was 75.9 and 88.9 weeks
respectively, while the mean life span of the food-restricted SPF and GF mice was
117.5 and 109.6 weeks, respectively. Mice in both GF and SPF food-restricted
groups were characterized by lower body weight and increased survival. These
findings suggest that the cessation of growth may be importantly and perhaps
causally related to longevity. The GF mice survived longer than the SPF mice, but
the combination of GF status with food restriction did not seem to extend life
span more than food restriction alone.

PMID: 1748169 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1748169

-
-
-

1. J Gerontol. 1990 Mar;45(2):B52-8.

Life span, morphology, and pathology of diet-restricted germ-free and
conventional Lobund-Wistar rats.

Snyder DL(1), Pollard M, Wostmann BS, Luckert P.

Author information:
(1)Lobund Laboratory, University of Notre Dame.

The effect of germ-free life and dietary restriction (DR) on life span and
pathology was investigated in isolator housed germ-free (GF) and conventional
(CV) Lobund-Wistar rats fed either ad libitum or restricted to 12 grams per day
(70% of adult ad libitum intake) of a natural ingredient diet from weaning. The
median length of life of ad libitum CV and GF rats was 31.0 and 33.6 months
respectively, while DR increased the median length of life of CV and GF rats to
38.6 and 37.8 months respectively. DR reduced the frequency or postponed the
occurrence of diseases which eventually lead to death in the Lobund-Wistar rat.
This was especially true of prostate adenocarcinoma, prostatitis, and mammary
fibroma. The reduced early food intake and smaller body weight of adult GF rats
may be the reason ad libitum fed GF rats live slightly longer than their CV
counterparts, but GF life was without additional effect on life span when food
intake was restricted.

PMID: 2313040 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2313040

#10 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Imunological theories of aging are not new.

Some time ago I tried to use the combined work of the people in the forum in order to collect in one place as a list all of the aging theories:

http://www.longecity...s-of-the-aging/

The "IMUNOLOGICAL THEORIES" surely existed then.

#11 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

In the following experiments, rodents were raised from birth and then lived in sterile environments on a sterile diet(aka "germfree")and yet still died around the same time as control rodents living in non-sterile(but still possibly very hygienic) conditions:

This misses the point. ..and this was already discussed in this or some other 'microbes' thread. Again, regarding sterility:

1. Whatever may be happening with an animal raised in 'sterile' conditions on a 'sterile' diet has only academic interest. No human would agree to live like those 'bubble boys' (born with impaired immunity, who btw, despite having to live in a 'plastic bubble' and on constant antibiotics, invariably succumb to some common 'benign' bug).

2. Sterility is practically impossible to achieve, even in a lab. The most striking in this regard was the story about NASA, when they started to use DNA microarrays for microbial detection rather than relying on the traditional petri dish cultures. It turned out that the labs they had considered thus far sterile were contaminated with various microbes, good portion of which they did not even know existed. And mind you, there they were free to use the most advanced sterilization methods, including the ones you'd never dare to apply to a living thing.

So I don't think that a sterile animal can exist in principle. And what for? Microbes are everywhere and they are not the problem. The problem is the microbes that live inside our cells -- not the ones that colonize our epithelia, though the usual entry point for an intruder is epithelium. The studies you linked do not address this problem at all.

And, yes, we have elaborate immune systems but clearly they are not perfect. Worse yet, it is the successful intracellular microbes that wear out our immune systems and mes with our cells. If you compare an old cell and an infected cell, there's hardly any difference. That's where, I believe, the problem lies.

So again, it is not about the microbes that colonize epithelia. Even in the intestines, technically they are still outside us. They are not even in contact with our cells. Intestinal mucosa that line the epithelium are soaked with antimicrobial peptides and act as a barrier that prevents microbes from getting direct access our cells. When this barrier is impaired the immediate result is local inflammation.. ..urgh.. ..most people discussing 'biota' have very vague ideas about how exactly we interact with microbes.. ..which does not prevent them from having strong opinions on the matter :)

Edited by xEva, 12 September 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#12 addx

• 711 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

I would consider microbes to be a marker of ageing rather than a cause.
  • Disagree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users