* * * * * 2 votes

Neuropeptide S

stimulating neuropeptide s anxiety

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

So, as far as anxiolytics are concerned I think Neuropeptide S beats them all. Here is a wiki exert:

Neuropeptide S

(NPS) is a neuropeptide found in human and mammalian brain, mainly produced by neurons in the amygdala and between Barrington's nucleus and the locus coeruleus, although NPS-responsive neurons extend projections into many other brain areas.[1][2][3] NPS binds specifically to a newly de-orphaned G protein-coupled receptor, NPSR.[4][5] Animal studies show that NPS suppresses anxiety and appetite, induces wakefulness and hyperactivity, including hyper-sexuality, and plays a significant role in the extinction of conditioned fear.[6][7][8][9][10][11][12] It has also been shown to significantly enhance dopamine activity in the mesolimbic pathway.[12]

These effects seem very positive and since anxiety and all other neurological disorders are interrelated, such as depression, then I suspect that some gene or other type of dysfunction in the production or receptor disruption with Neuropeptide S may be related closely to them, specifically anxiety disorders.

I'm wondering how or if anyone has any more information on how to stimulate the production of Neuropeptide S in the CNS. Seems like a potent and safe way to combat anxiety. I'm thinking BDNF closely regulates the production of NPS, though exactly in what manner, I'm unsure. Any more info much appreciated on this. Hell, if anyone is a medicine major, this would be one helluva topic to write a paper on and get a good review on.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Why is nobody talking about this substance?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thieme E-Journals - Planta Medica / Abstract Characterization of Neuropeptide S (NPS) in view of its potential as a novel anxiolytic therapy for anxiety disorders sunburst.usd.edu/~cliff/Courses/Advanced Seminars in Neuroendocrinology/Neuropeptide S/Pape 10 Neuropharm NPS fear anxiety.pdf www.psychologie.uni-freiburg.de/abteilungen/psychobio/team/publikationen/kumstachen_2013_1

^Copy paste from my NPS bookmark folder

Neuropeptide Y is also very interesting, FYI.

#4 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Neuropeptide Y appears to be neurogenic: http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0088294

• Agree x 1

#5 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

Thanks mate. I have no idea about all these sorts of terms, "neurogenic" this, "gaba" that and so forth.

Would you say that it's a safe product to use? What would the dosage be? Is it a single dose or should you take it consecutively for many days/weeks/months?

What effect can one expect from it?

#6 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

Neurogenic means it grows your brain cells ;)

I can't comment on safety, as I haven't found (or don't remember seeing) any human studies. Sometimes this can be extrapolated from animal testing data, however it doesn't always equate to it being safe in humans.
Not sure of the dosage either.. I think someone calculated a HED (human equivalent dose) on this forum before, so you might want to search the forum a bit. I wouldn't know about dosing regimen either.
As for effects; pretty much what is summed up in that wiki article I'd suppose.

Edited by formergenius, 10 April 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#7 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Ah ok, so why are there no human trials being done? Why isn't everyone taking it? (It sounds almost too good to be true).

#8 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread now that I see tht.co is now carrying NPS. Any idea what the dose would be intranasally, they're selling it in 50 mg units.

Edited by datrat, 27 July 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#9 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

I haven't been able to find any human studies using NPS. The only dosage information I could find used 7, 14 and 28 nmol (mice) and 3 nmol (rats). I have no idea what weight of, I'm assuming mcg, that amount of nano moles would eventually convert to. If anyone could explain the conversion to me, that would be great.

#10 Diego55

• 108 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Has anyone already tried it ? 

#11 telight

• 173 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

I haven't been able to find any human studies using NPS. The only dosage information I could find used 7, 14 and 28 nmol (mice) and 3 nmol (rats). I have no idea what weight of, I'm assuming mcg, that amount of nano moles would eventually convert to. If anyone could explain the conversion to me, that would be great.

The molecular weight of Neuropeptide S is 2187.5. This means that one mole of the substance weighs 2187.5g. This means that 14nmol would weigh about 3.063ug.

#12 ΨChemicist

• 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

In the study mentioned by datrat, 14nmol was considered and effective dose (I'd post a link but I can't yet). They used 10 week old C57BL/6N mice and and the average weight at that age is about 30g (again I can't link its easy to google).

That gives us a mouse dose of 101.898mcg/kg which equates to a human dose of 8.262mcg/kg using BSA for dose translation.

Conveniently for me that works out around 0.5mg dose so reconstituting a standard tht.co sample with 100ml water gives a 1ml intranasal dose!

#13 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

In the study mentioned by datrat, 14nmol was considered and effective dose (I'd post a link but I can't yet). They used 10 week old C57BL/6N mice and and the average weight at that age is about 30g (again I can't link its easy to google).

That gives us a mouse dose of 101.898mcg/kg which equates to a human dose of 8.262mcg/kg using BSA for dose translation.

Conveniently for me that works out around 0.5mg dose so reconstituting a standard tht.co sample with 100ml water gives a 1ml intranasal dose!

Yes, seemingly the stuff would last a long long time with proper storage.

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

if its available for purchase now and it doesnt seem expensive, how come nobody is willing to try it yet

#15 ΨChemicist

• 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

if its available for purchase now and it doesnt seem expensive, how come nobody is willing to try it yet

I tried it before I posted, good first impressions but could all be down to placebo at this point.

#16 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

This stuff sounds like fun!

It also sounds like it'd have to be a phasic signal to which quick adaptation is likely to happen. You'd probably want to take it strategically to change your outlook towars specific situations that have psychological importance to you or to break through bad acute mood dips, rather than supplement it daily, but that's speculation on my part.

Edited by Raza, 25 August 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#17 ΨChemicist

• 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

I agree Raza. I'm treating it as more of an as needed compound then a daily supplement. I'm also very wary of possibly downregulating a system we don't know much about!

#18 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

ΨChemist, are you still trialing neuropeptide S? The wiki piece above looks really interesting to say the least.

Its on sale on tht.co, but looks expensive, what dosage are you using?

#19 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

ΨChemist, are you still trialing neuropeptide S? The wiki piece above looks really interesting to say the least.

With doses at .5 mg, it's not really that expensive. I'll be trialing it soon and will report back. :D

• like x 1

#20 ΨChemicist

• 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

0.5mg dose for me using 8.262mcg/kg so you may need more or less depending on your weight.

I'm being fairly cautious with this one, I've used it three times now, the first two times on consecutive days and the third a couple of days afterwards. I plan on leaving a few days between doses from now on as I think it shows promise being used as needed instead of every day.

So far I've found it to produce a clean stimulation that isn't too noticeable. I mean this in a good way, I've felt well rested and on top of my game and this feeling has persisted for most of the day. There is no feeling of anxiety accompanying this stimulation as I would get from other stimulants such as modafinil and its relatives. 

It's hard for me to say if there is an actual anxiolytic effect though as I am by nature a relaxed person and have little experience with anxiety that isn't chemically induced.

Interestingly I did experience a mild headache on two occasions which were similar to my experience with modafinil. I would not really consider it debilitating but it is there. This paper (1) suggests  histaminergic and orexinergic neurons are involved in NPS's stimulation and is in line with my experience thus far. 

The most relevent description of NPS I can think of so far is that it feels like a cleaner version of modafinil giving a useful yet relaxed stimulation.

I have only used it on work days so far which for me doesn't require a whole lot of brain power. Next time I will be trialing it on a Uni day which I hope will give a better impression on its nootropic potential! 

1- http://usdbiology.co...Wakefulness.pdf

• Well Written x 1

#21 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

you actually trust tht.co? i havent read much positive but then again most of the people just complain of the high prices stopping them from even knowing if the shit is fake

• Ill informed x 3
  • like x 1

#22 ΨChemicist

• 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

at 90 cents a dose I don't find it to expensive at all really! Only had good experiences with them myself, good service and effects and appearances that are in line with the literature.

Have you heard anything negative you can share apart from people complaining about the price?

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#23 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

just read from other people using the site that it kept being down for maintance several times and having its url changed too few times and nobody reported actually ordering anything confirming its legit so its still pending how reliable the site is.

#24 Ezeon

• 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

I've tried NPS from tht.co as well. Didn't do much for me, but that was expected as I have an Ile107Asn mutation (almost loss of function) on the NPSR1 gene. I can feel a slight stimulation from a high dose and if I take a very high dose I get tachycardia (around 120bpm) periodically for 1-2 hours.

Product seem legit based based on dosage and expected reaction.

Edited by Ezeon, 31 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#25 sk_scientific

• 256 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:56 AM

May I ask what your route of administration was?

#26 Ezeon

• 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

May I ask what your route of administration was?

nasal spray and sublingual.

#27 sk_scientific

• 256 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

How did you suspend it?  

#28 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

The Neuropeptide S receptor seems to be oncogenic.

Make Your own picture

Neuropeptide S receptor 1 (NPSR1) activates cancer-related pathways and is widely expressed in neuroendocrine tumors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24915894

• Informative x 1

#29 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Nice found

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

Yeah the user tolerant has talked about a certain Neuropeptide and its role in cancer so I´ve taken a look into it

Edited by Flex, 26 October 2014 - 06:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stimulating, neuropeptide s, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users