• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Greatest philosopher of all time

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the greatest Philosopher? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the greatest Philosopher?

1. Aristotle (16 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. Rene Descartes (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

3. Epicurus (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. Martin Heidegger (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

5. Immanuel Kant (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

6. Karl Marx (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

7. John Stuart Mill (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

8. Friedrich Nietzsche (15 votes [20.27%])

Percentage of vote: 20.27%

9. Karl Popper (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

10. Other (below) (20 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

You mean criteria of greatness.

(See Caliban's message below.)

I can't recall if the BBC polling has presented a list of criteria by which voters are to consider in their choice of philosophers for greatness.

But I am certain that Caliban has not put up such a list of criteria by which we are to judge the greatness of a philosopher. Pity.

Somebody here voted for Hume, without any explanation for his vote. If I were to ask my daughter why that voter chose Hume? Perhaps my daughter who is very fond of humor just like me would tell me, "Probably because Hume is easy to recall because it is very close to the word 'home'". And she would also remind me -- that also is the way during election days many voters write down the names of candidates whose names are easy to recall.

I would like to suggest the following criteria to consider in the choice of a philosopher for greatness:

The advocacy of life, liberty, equality, fraternity, and the pursuit of happiness.

On those criteria Aristotle is not great at all, because he conveniently perpetuates the social system already favorable to himself and his kind during his times, namely, people living on the labor and deprivations of slaves.

Likewise he holds women only a little above slaves.

It takes a very great heart and mind to see into the truth of life, liberty, equality, fraternity, and pursuit of happiness for all men and women, and take the great leap to transcend one's own convenience of self-arrogated privileges.

On the equality of men and their fraternal kindship, Christ and Buddha are greatest of philosophers, for teaching that all men are the same: with Christ, brothers under one Father, God; with Buddha, for not recognizing the caste system.

And you know how Aristotle justifies slavery? Slaves are such from nature, so also free men are such from nature. One indication of slaves is that they have a bigger physical body but less mind, whereas free men have a more delicate body but superior mind. Women have less mind than men and their body is smaller compared to men's.

See? all so convenient to themselves, the free men living over and on the labor, sweat, and blood of slaves, and women.

On the basis of life, liberty, equality, fraternity, and the pursuit of happiness, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mandela are greatest of philosophers; so also the women who started the campaign for women's suffrage and more recent women who fought for women's emancipation and rights and equality.

On another front, Aristotle says that war is necessary for peace. I think he means so that they, he and his people, all free men, in contrast to slaves, can live peaceably and most comfortably over the slave labor of the peoples they conquer by war. Didn't I say that he is the bad teacher of the bad pupil, Alexander, who is nothing great to me, but an ignoble megalomaniac.

About the scientific outlook of Aristotle or his being inclined toward the empirical method of acquiring knowledge, I read in Bertrand Russell that he maintained women had fewer teeth than men.

Russell had a good laugh recalling that Aristotle had two wives and never ever bothered to look into their mouths and to count their teeth. So much for his empirical method based on observation.*

Susma

*Males have more teeth than females in the case of men, sheep, goats, and swine; in the case of other animals observations have not yet been made: but the more teeth they have the more long-lived are they, as a rule, while those are short-lived in proportion that have teeth fewer in number and thinly set. (The History of Animals, book 2, part 3)

Currently:

Aristotle: 4   
Friedrich Nietzsche:  3   
Rene Descartes: 1   
Hume: 1
susmariosep : 1

I hear Marx is currently leading the BBC poll.  [sfty]

I'd suggest readers ignore the noise in this thread. 
Could we hear a few reasons for your choices?

#32 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Aristotle: 5
Friedrich Nietzsche: 3
Rene Descartes: 1
Karl Marx: 1
Kurt Godel: 1
Hume: 1
susmariosep : 1
Alfred North Whitehead: 1

Nietzsche can still make it! Come on transhumanists, show them the hammer! [lol]

Meanwhile, for those who have already voted
Play the Philosophers Quiz

#33 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Gee, Popper looks interesting but I would have to place my bets with Buckminster Fuller.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 wolfmoon

• 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:16 AM

Benedict de Spinoza

#35 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Ladies , Gentlemen, and otherbeings

We have a winner:

Posted Image

Aristotle [ 5 ]

Runner up: Friedrich Nietzsche [ 3 ]
Others (one vote each): Rene Descartes, Immanuel Kant, Karl Marx, Kurt Godel, Hume, susmariosep, Alfred North Whitehead, Buckminster Fuller, Benedict de Spinoza

In the BBC poll the winner was Karl Marx (27.93%) !
Aristole just made it into the top ten (at 9, 4.52%), Nietzsche made a respectable fourth place (6.49%).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...te_result.shtml

#36 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

Sad

#37 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

Marx was right I think when he wrote in prison about how any democratcy would tend toward communism given enough time because people would vote themselves benefits.

I just disagree that this is a good thing.

#38 enigma

• 143 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Of the very limited readings I have done, David Humes dialogues concerning natural religion seemed the cleverest.

#39 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:42 PM

I need immortatilty to answer that poll correctly

right now I love Seneca, followed closely by Nietche and Sun Tsu.

#40 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

I know this poll is a bit dated but I really admire the wisdom regarding morality displayed by Jeremy Bentham. He is still ahead of our time 200 years on.

#41 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

David Pearce

Daniel Dennet

Max More

#42 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

ayn rand, by far

#43 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

frankly, i can't tell what philosophy really is (could anyone shed definite light on this?) i read a lot of philosophy books in my college days and the strongest impression i got was: these ppl need more knowledge in natural science. to me, anything that encourages thoughts, any thoughts, especially new thoughts are philosophic and in this sense my vote goes to carl sagan, steven spielberg, matrix writer(s) and michio kaku. most philosophers mentioned in this thread are, sorry, boring to me.

Edited by full_circle, 24 March 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#44 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

frankly, i can't tell what philosophy really is (could anyone shed definite light on this?) i read a lot of philosophy books in my college days and the strongest impression i got was: these ppl need more knowledge in natural science. to me, anything that encourages thoughts, any thoughts, especially new thoughts are philosophic and in this sense my vote goes to carl sagan, steven spielberg, matrix writer(s) and michio kaku. most philosophers mentioned in this thread are, sorry, boring to me.

"Indeed, the PhD physicist technically has a Doctorate of Philosophy. However, generally people who call themselves "philosophers" nowadays are essentially proponents of failed schools of philosophical thought which science left by the wayside a long time ago and who now spend their time railing against the victors." - Mike Wong, stardestroyer.net

The only "philosopher" I have ever come across that I feel genuinely deserves the title "philosopher" (as it should mean) is Ayn Rand

#45 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

"Indeed, the PhD physicist technically has a Doctorate of Philosophy. However, generally people who call themselves "philosophers" nowadays are essentially proponents of failed schools of philosophical thought which science left by the wayside a long time ago and who now spend their time railing against the victors." - Mike Wong, stardestroyer.net

The only "philosopher" I have ever come across that I feel genuinely deserves the title "philosopher" (as it should mean) is Ayn Rand

Ludwig Wittgenstein? Bertrand Russell? Karl Popper? Thomas Kuhn?

#46 hotamali

• 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

David Hume

#47 burungnasar

• 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

"The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato."
(A.N. Whitehead)

#48 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:17 AM

ayn rand, by far

um, no.

#49 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

I lean towards the school of thought that logic=philosophy, and the world is just information. Therefore I choose Kurt Godel.

Mathematical logic is very, very, very far from being able to address the sorts of questions that are addressed by philosophers.

#50 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

so what questions do philosophers really address? (or do they address any questions at all..?)

#51 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:32 AM

ayn rand, by far

um, no.

well who would you say then?

#52 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:47 AM

I lean towards the school of thought that logic=philosophy, and the world is just information. Therefore I choose Kurt Godel.

Mathematical logic is very, very, very far from being able to address the sorts of questions that are addressed by philosophers.

Rational thoughts that cannot be expressed mathematically aren't that common, I think.

My favourite philospher is probably Ludwig Wittgenstein. His two main works "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" and "Philosophical Investigations" are, in my opinion, in totally different league than the works of other 20th century philosophers. Wittgenstein often formulated his thoughts into the language of mathematical logic and he is also credited as the inventor of the nifty truth tables: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Truth_tables The truth tables are the foundation of propositional calculus: http://en.wikipedia....tional_calculus

Einstein's philosophical thoughts are also very interesting, though not nearly as revolutionary as Wittgenstein's.

#53 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

I voted for JS Mill, but his reincarnation David Pearce would also be a good choice.

#54 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

I voted for JS Mill, but his reincarnation David Pearce would also be a good choice.

Yeah, John Stuart Mill, along with Immanuel Kant, are one of my favourites too when it comes to works in the field of ethics.

#55 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

I disagree. When questions are addressed by philosophers not using mathematical logic to any degree, it means that either the questions are silly or the philosophers are fools.

#56 Traclo

• Guest, F@H
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, John Stuart Mill, along with Immanuel Kant, are one of my favourites too when it comes to works in the field of ethics.

I second this. I'm more familiar with ethics than philosophy in general, and for that Kant and Mill stand head and shoulders above the rest for me.

#57 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

ayn rand, by far

I voted Aristotle, because there wasn't an option with Ayn Rand, but hers is the philosophy i identify most with too.

#58 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

I disagree. When questions are addressed by philosophers not using mathematical logic to any degree, it means that either the questions are silly or the philosophers are fools.

What is beauty?
What is justice?

These are silly questions?

#59 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

This is an empty assertion since simple propositional logic could be considered an aspect of mathematical logic, and most everyone uses propositional (boolean) logic in expressing ideas to some degree. But typically, when one speaks of mathematical logic it really means things such as undecidability, completeness, Skolem's theorem, compactness, and so on; and I doubt there is any well-known philosopher who has used any of these results in a meaningful way.

#60 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

ayn rand, by far

um, no.

well who would you say then?

I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users