Fat loss + deprenyl + IQ increase log

weight loss

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Goal
My bodyfat is a little too high and this bothers me, so I've decided that losing it is in order and make the necessary lifestyle changes for it to stay away. Overweight although not as unhealthy as being obese, still lowers quality of life, which may ultimately result in a reduced life span.

I may as well make it a goal to train my mind as well as my muscles, as beta-endorphins have been shown to enhance learning and stem cell proliferation in the hippocampus. To this end, I will continue doing a plethora of mental exercises everyday.

Supplements
Zinc - 20 mg
Deprenyl - 5mg or 1mg
Vitamin D - 2500 IU

Acetyl L-carnitine 500 mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 250 mg

A multi-vitamin is unnecessary.

How to accomplish it
The most optimal way to lose weight for me, is to spend an additional 1000 calories daily by doing resistance-- and cardio training. The nutritionally dense foods that I eat ensures that my diet only lack calories, and not essential nutrients. (Does this make sense?)

I've had good experiences with zinc and iodine, which is why it's they're the only minerals I'm going to be supplementing. (Though taking selenium would be prudent so as to lower the toxicity of iodine.)
I take iodine to counter the goiter-inducing effects of glucosinolates that broccoli and other sulphur rich foods contain.
I considered taking indole-3 carbinol to cleave serum estradiol and thereby making the hypothalamus release additonal testosterone through the leydig cells by stimulating the hpta axis, but decided against it.

Nutrition
" 3 cups (about one heaping plateful) of leafy green vegetables, such as kale, collards, chard, spinach or lettuce, which provide vitamins A, B, C and K.
3 cups of sulfur-rich vegetables, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, mushrooms and asparagus, because they support the removal of toxins from the body.
3 cups of colorful vegetables and fruits (ideally three different colors each day), because they’re full of antioxidants. They have to be colored all the way through, so apples and bananas don’t count as colored, but berries, peaches, citrus, beets and carrots do. " - taken from
http://www.phoenixhelix.com

14 Steps To Eating The Bulletproof Diet
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS, honey, and agave) .
2. Replace the sugar calories with healthy fats from the Bulletproof Diet such as grass-fed butter, ghee, and MCT or coconut oil.
3. Eliminate gluten in any shape or form. This includes bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of resorting to gluten free junk food, which can be almost as bad.
4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5. Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
6. Eat significant amounts of pastured, grass-fed meat from big ruminant animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish, eggs, and shellfish.
7. Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have your beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them.
8. Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. High fat items can be pasteurized, but they should be grass-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is okay for most people.
9. Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. Eat pastured eggs and some pork, chickens, turkeys, and ducks.
10. Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. See this site for details.
11. Cook your food gently, if at all. Incorporate water into your cooking whenever possible and use low temperatures. Do not use a microwave or fry.
12. Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Favor low fructose containing fruits like berries and lemons over watermelon and apples.
13. Add spices and other flavorings from the Bulletproof Diet. Favor herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high quality ones, recently opened.
14. Enjoy your food.

~~
"Recipes"
Mushroom soup every evening with maitake, agaricus, trametes and reishi. I've found this combination to be highly effective against the common cold. By taking a supplement containing these mushrooms, I only felt ill for 18 hours. Some of the lesser symptoms persisted for 2 days (1 before and 1 after the worse symptoms hit me.), which included rapidly shifting hyperthermia and hypothermia.

Breakfast
Oatmeal.
Flaxseed and GLA.
Milk.
Protein powder
Berry powder.
20 grams of almonds.

Green smoothie with "colorful" vegetables and leafy green vegetables. (Sulfur-rich vegetables don't taste very good when blended.)

2 pcs. Rye bread, romaine lettuce and 125g mackerel.

50 grams of mixed nuts.

Edited by Deep Thought, 08 December 2013 - 01:05 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think you should reformulate your goal in terms of fat mass loss and lean body mass change. Losing lean body mass is usually not a good idea.
  • like x 1

#3 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'll edit my post and change change it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Why the protein powder with breakfast? I find that powders have way too much methionine for my liking and it doesn't seem to be a good idea in terms of life extension to eat ad ibitum methionine.

Edited by theconomist, 28 October 2013 - 03:04 PM.

• like x 1

#5 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Why the protein powder with breakfast? I find that powders have way too much methionine for my liking and it doesn't seem to be a good idea in terms of life extension to eat ad ibitum methionine.

The mushrooms possess compounds which have anti-tumor and anti-metastatic activity. I furthermore supplement with additional vitamin C. I hope this ameliorates the high methionine content somewhat.

Although I already knew about the cancerous potential of methionine before reading your post, I hadn't even considered that protein powder may contain high amounts of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14585259
"Conventional chemotherapies have showed their limits, notably for patients with advanced cancer. New therapeutic strategies must be identified, and the metabolic abnormalities of cancer cells offer such opportunities. Many human cancer cell lines and primary tumors have absolute requirements for methionine, an essential amino acid. In contrast, normal cells are relatively resistant to exogenous methionine restriction. The biochemical mechanism for methionine dependency has been studied extensively, but the fundamental mechanism remains unclear. A number of investigators have attempted to exploit the methionine dependence of tumors for therapeutic effects in vivo. To reduce in vivo methionine in plasma and tumours, dietary and pharmacological treatments have been used. Methionine-free diet or methionine-deprived total parenteral nutrition causes regression of a variety of animal tumours. Alternatively, methionine depletion was achieved by the use of methioninase. This enzyme specifically degrades methionine and inhibits tumour growth in preclinical models. Because of potential toxicity and quality of life problems, prolonged methionine restriction with diet or with methioninase is not suitable for clinical use. Methionine restriction may find greater application in association with various chemotherapeutic agents. Several preclinical studies have demonstrated synergy between methionine restriction and various cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs. The experimental results accumulated during the last three decades suggest that methionine restriction can become an additional cancer therapeutic strategy, notably in association with chemotherapy."

#6 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

The mushrooms possess compounds which have anti-tumor and anti-metastatic activity. I furthermore supplement with additional vitamin C. I hope this ameliorates the high methionine content somewhat.

Although I already knew about the cancerous potential of methionine before reading your post, I hadn't even considered that protein powder may contain high amounts of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14585259
"Conventional chemotherapies have showed their limits, notably for patients with advanced cancer. New therapeutic strategies must be identified, and the metabolic abnormalities of cancer cells offer such opportunities. Many human cancer cell lines and primary tumors have absolute requirements for methionine, an essential amino acid. In contrast, normal cells are relatively resistant to exogenous methionine restriction. The biochemical mechanism for methionine dependency has been studied extensively, but the fundamental mechanism remains unclear. A number of investigators have attempted to exploit the methionine dependence of tumors for therapeutic effects in vivo. To reduce in vivo methionine in plasma and tumours, dietary and pharmacological treatments have been used. Methionine-free diet or methionine-deprived total parenteral nutrition causes regression of a variety of animal tumours. Alternatively, methionine depletion was achieved by the use of methioninase. This enzyme specifically degrades methionine and inhibits tumour growth in preclinical models. Because of potential toxicity and quality of life problems, prolonged methionine restriction with diet or with methioninase is not suitable for clinical use. Methionine restriction may find greater application in association with various chemotherapeutic agents. Several preclinical studies have demonstrated synergy between methionine restriction and various cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs. The experimental results accumulated during the last three decades suggest that methionine restriction can become an additional cancer therapeutic strategy, notably in association with chemotherapy."

I doubt you could ''counterbalance'' the high methionine diet with the presence of mushroom in your diet and vitamin C supplementation. I take it you're not eating a vegan diet? That means you're methionine intake is already on the higher side hence why I'd drop the protein powder. I doubt it's necessary, do you log your food on cron-o-meter? You'd be surprised by how much protein is in your diet especially when you consider that it's best to not go over the RDA for life extension purposes.

A discussion regarding this issue; http://www.longecity...real-way-to-go/ .

Losing weight should be your number one priority right now, and if a high protein diet is what it takes to get you there then by all means go ahead, however I would moderate it afterwards.
  • like x 3

#7 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've done something close to this in the past. There are a few guidelines that I would follow. 1) Make changes slowly and give your body time to adapt to the new diet 2) Keep busy with activities that don't make you think about food. I find building stuff or repairing things or working on software takes my full mind away from thoughts about food. 3) control your weight loss to less than 1 kg per week. (~ 2 lbs or so). Any more than this and you may feel sick from the toxins released from your shrinking fat cells.
4) get as much of your nutrients from food as possible and supplement the remainder only up to RDA or a little above. Mega doses of vitamins and minerals can stop absorption of complementary vitamins and minerals. Eg too much zinc can cause a copper deficiency since they compete for the same receptors. Deficiency of a single nutrient can cause you to be extra hungry and deviate from your planned diet. 5) Use this dietary change opportunity to clean all the junk out of your diet and your home (preferably for all your family members too!). 6) Make it permanent, not just for one,two or 5 months. You're putting in the effort to lose the weight, so now get rid of the reason it happened in the first place (bad dietary habits). Face the truth: You should have been eating healthy all along throughout your life. It's part of taking care of yourself and living a long healthy life.
  • like x 3

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

I've had good experiences with zinc and iodine, which is why it's they're the only minerals I'm going to be supplementing. (Though taking selenium would be prudent so as to lower the toxicity of iodine.)
I take iodine to counter the goiter-inducing effects of glucosinolates that broccoli and other sulphur rich foods contain.

How much iodine are you taking that you are concerned about toxicity? I'm assuming you're taking it in the iodide form, and not in the corrosive and toxic elemental form (such as Lugol's). I doubt that you'll need much iodine to counter the effects of broccoli.
  • like x 1

#9 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

How much iodine are you taking that you are concerned about toxicity? I'm assuming you're taking it in the iodide form, and not in the corrosive and toxic elemental form (such as Lugol's). I doubt that you'll need much iodine to counter the effects of broccoli.

225 mcg of potassium iodide. I've had some amazing effects by taking it - thicker hair, no late-afternoon fatigue etc.

I've done something close to this in the past. There are a few guidelines that I would follow. 1) Make changes slowly and give your body time to adapt to the new diet 2) Keep busy with activities that don't make you think about food. I find building stuff or repairing things or working on software takes my full mind away from thoughts about food. 3) control your weight loss to less than 1 kg per week. (~ 2 lbs or so). Any more than this and you may feel sick from the toxins released from your shrinking fat cells.
4) get as much of your nutrients from food as possible and supplement the remainder only up to RDA or a little above. Mega doses of vitamins and minerals can stop absorption of complementary vitamins and minerals. Eg too much zinc can cause a copper deficiency since they compete for the same receptors. Deficiency of a single nutrient can cause you to be extra hungry and deviate from your planned diet. 5) Use this dietary change opportunity to clean all the junk out of your diet and your home (preferably for all your family members too!). 6) Make it permanent, not just for one,two or 5 months. You're putting in the effort to lose the weight, so now get rid of the reason it happened in the first place (bad dietary habits). Face the truth: You should have been eating healthy all along throughout your life. It's part of taking care of yourself and living a long healthy life.

True. Though it has been nigh impossible for me to eat healthy due to a dominant father. He's now diabetic and obese.

I'm aiming to loss less than 1 kg of fat weekly.

I added deprenyl to my stack, hoping that by taking it, I will be more motivated to see things through - academically and privately.

Software? Are you a computer scientist?

I doubt you could ''counterbalance'' the high methionine diet with the presence of mushroom in your diet and vitamin C supplementation. I take it you're not eating a vegan diet? That means you're methionine intake is already on the higher side hence why I'd drop the protein powder. I doubt it's necessary, do you log your food on cron-o-meter? You'd be surprised by how much protein is in your diet especially when you consider that it's best to not go over the RDA for life extension purposes.

A discussion regarding this issue; http://www.longecity...real-way-to-go/ .

Losing weight should be your number one priority right now, and if a high protein diet is what it takes to get you there then by all means go ahead, however I would moderate it afterwards.

Nope, not eating a vegan diet. I aim to take the best principles from the bulletproof diet and adhere to the dietary guidelines that Terry Welsh suggests.

For what it's worth, most of the weight gain happened after taking mirtazapine for two months and has worsened ever since. I had it prescribed for insomnia, though at the time I confused it for actual depression medication - due to my sister lying to the doctor.

I'll finish the rest of the protein powder, and not buy anymore.

I haven't in my diet on cron-o-meter. I'm familiar with the website though.

Are you familiar with the now deceased danish physician Mikkel Hindhede? He discovered that humans had a much lower need for protein than what was generally acknowledged at the time. He also discovered that humans suffered less from cardiovascular diseases by eating more vegetables, "boring food" he dubbed it. One of his quotes "if you eat boring food, you won't overeat". I realize that what one considers "boring food" is highly subjective.

Edited by Deep Thought, 29 October 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#10 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Cardivascular
fitness:
By following a
training plan created by the “endomondo sports tracker - app”, I should be able
to run 5 kms by February 2014.

----- Sunday:
Cooper-test using endomondo.

-----

Resistance
training:
I will use the
principles of progressive loading to increase my strength and improve fat loss.
Since I wish to gain muscle mass when I’m satisfied with my fat loss, I will
continue working out after I plateau, during the fat loss period.
http://www.predatornutrition.com/en/content/does-a-high-muscle-mass-increase-longevity/
-----
Circle training every thursday.

-----
Team-training bi-weekly.

-----

Scientific
7-minute workout:
I will
devote 7-minutes of my time everyday to completing this workout.

If methionine is the
big sinner (longevity) - can't I just take a BCAA supplement, or eat BCAA-rich
food? Studies have shown the metabolites of leucine, in particular, has
anabolic effects.

Supplements
PQQ
Coenzyme Q10
Creatine Monohydrate
ALCAR+ALA
Vitamin D
Iodine
Zinc

Motivation
Deprenyl 2.5 mg (2.68 mg is speculated to be optimal for life extension purposes, for people aged 40 or more. Deprenyl has a u-shaped curve.)
DLPA: 50mg, titrating upwards to a maximum of 250 mg. Depending on how my diet looks in respects to the distribution of the various amino acids, it may be prudent for me to lower this dosage.

For the time being I'll leave out forskolin and artichoke.

Diet
I use cron-o-meter get an overview of the nutrients which the diet I follow contains.

Daily vegetable and fruit intake: 384g colored, 384g green and 384g sulfurous vegetables daily.
Kale, cooked, steamed: 200g
Spinach, cooked, steamed: 100g

95% sodium.
81% potassium.
98% zinc
76% B1
89% B3
2007% vitamin K
175% copper (Copper has been linked to Alzheimer's disease... http://www.medicalne...cles/265012.php. Considering that copper interferes with the LRP1 protein's ability to escort amyloid beta out of the brain.)

Edited by Deep Thought, 03 November 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#11 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think you should set clear strength goals too, otherwise your resistance-work is merely "exercise" and not "training". I do not know what your current strength level is but I recommend setting clear goals like this:

- Ability to do 10 real push-ups.
- Ability to do 5 real pull-ups and/or chin-ups (if this is super-hard start by doing negatives)
- Ability to do the plank for one minute
- Ability to bench-press your body weight (or your target body weight)
- Ability to dead-lift your body weight (or your target bodyweight)
- Ability to squat your body weight (or your target bodyweight)

Your goal at the gym should be to become stronger/more capable, so set goals and monitor your progress with a training log. If you're a beginner your progress will be rapid in the beginning, which is extremely motivating. Use a personal trainer to teach you the basics of squatting and dead-lifting and proceed slowly.
  • like x 1

#12 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

* Cardivascular fitness
By following a training plan created by the “endomondo sports tracker - app”, I should be able to run 5 kms by February 2014.
----- Sunday: Cooper-test using endomondo.

* Resistance training

I will use the principles of progressive loading to increase my strength and improve fat loss. Since I wish to gain muscle mass when I’m satisfied with my fat loss, I will continue working out after I plateau, during the fat loss period. http://www.predatornutrition.com/en/content/does-a-high-muscle-mass-increase-longevity/
----- Circle training every thursday.
----- Team-training bi-weekly.

Scientific 7-minute workout: I will devote 7-minutes of my time everyday to completing this workout.

* Supplements

In an effort to clean out all the supplements I’ve hoarded the past many months...
PQQ: 20 mg daily.
Coenzyme Q10: 300 mg daily.
Creatine Monohydrate: 1 gram daily.
ALCAR: 500 mg daily.
ALA: 100 mg daily.
Vitamin D: 6000 IU.
Iodine: 225 mcg.
Zinc picolinate: 22 mg.
Deprenyl: First dosis is 5 mg, and 1 mg daily afterwards.
DL-Phenylalanine: 50 mg, titrating upwards to a maximum of 250 mg.
Vitamin E with tocotrienol: 347.70 mg ~ 100 IU.
5-HTP: 100 mg. As needed.
Curcumin: 100 mg daily of a non-standardized extract.
Magnesium citrate: 300 mg.
Noopept: 30 mg.

* Diet

I use cron-o-meter get an overview of the nutrients which the diet I follow contains.

Daily vegetable and fruit intake: 384g colored, 384g green and 384g sulfurous vegetables.

Breakfast

Shake
  • Oatmeal: 100 grams.
  • Skimmed milk: 500 ml.
  • Flaxseed and evening primrose oil: 15 ml.
  • Eggs: 4.
  • Protein powder (until I run out): 30 grams.
  • Lecithin: 10,5 grams.
  • Almonds: 20 grams.
Snacks

Buns
  • Wholemeal flour: 60 grams.
  • Psyllium husk: 10 grams.
  • Wheat germ: 30 grams.
  • Soy granulate: 30 grams.
  • Yeast: Enough.
Afternoon
Vegetable shake
  • Water: 500 ml.
  • Broccoli: 150 grams.
  • White cabbage: 150 grams.
  • Carrots: 25 grams.
  • Spinach: 100 grams.
  • Yeast: Enough.
Dinner

Ryebread w. mackerel
  • Ryebread: 100 grams. (2 pieces)
  • Mackerel: 125 grams.
  • Lettuce: 2 leaves.
  • Carrots: 2 pieces.
Evening
Vegetables, onions and chicken
  • Chicken breast: 100 grams.
  • Kale: 200 grams.
  • Lettuce: 2 leaves.
  • Onions: 68 grams.
  • Garlic: 2 cloves ~ 8 grams.
* Tracking “cognitive improvements”
Cambridgebrainsciences: All exercises once daily.
Dual n-back: 20 sessions.
Complex working memory [spatial]: 20 minutes.
Complex working memory [verbal]: 20 minutes.
Brainhq.positscience.com: 20 minutes.

This is the best case scenario, but due to time pressure, I probably won’t be able to spend that much time on the exercises.

Edited by Deep Thought, 19 November 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#13 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Log
Day 1.
I've taken deprenyl for three days now, and I've noted the following effects:
  • Better mood.
  • More motivated, and I feel fearless. I've been threatened with death indirectly and that I would have either my eyes gouged out or ears cut off, whichever I preferred.
  • I perform better on the digit span test on cambridgebrainsciences. I've done the test twice this month, and four times last month, yet I scored 8 today, which is among my high scores.
  • I perform better on the monkey ladder test on cambridgebrainsciences. I scored 10 today, which is the second-highest I've yet scored. As with the digit span test, I've only done the test a few times.
  • I performed substantially better on the paired associates test on cambridgebrainsciences. I have done this test less than 10 times in total, and I still scored 8. I noted that I was able to see the pictures clearly in my mind.
  • I had only 7 hours of low-quality sleep today, so my productivity is slightly lower than usual.
  • Since I started taking deprenyl, I haven't craved coffee as much. I understand that coffee is a weak MAO-inhibitor and that it may release small quantities of dopamine.
I've become adapt at noticing when my serotonin levels decrease. It's like a superpower, I think. "My serotonin levels are tingling...". I'm kidding about the whole superpower thing, but not that I could sense it. I experienced a bout of "excessive thinking[rumination]", which subsided completely after taking 200 mg of 5-HTP.

I'm not worried about excessive intenstinal or brain MOA-A activity from taking deprenyl.

Although MOA-B also oxidizes serotonin, it does so with less selectivity than MOA-A.

I think I made the right choice in taking deprenyl.

Scientific litterature read today:

Selegiline versus L-acetylcarnitine in the treatment of Alzheimer-type dementia.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2121359
"... inasmuch as neither the monitoring for adverse drug reactions nor laboratory tests revealed any abnormalities resulting from therapy."

Edited by Deep Thought, 19 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#14 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Suggestion: Drop the eggs, milk and protein powder and replace it with beans, nuts, olive oil and a small amount of molasses. If you have to have some milk for your shake, then get almond milk or rice milk. You get more fats in fewer calories for longer lasting energy to make it to lunch without snacking. It's also much cheaper. The eggs, milk and protein powder will raise your IGF-1 levels thru the roof and this will cause your to grow a spare tire around your middle and make it impossible for you to lose weight. Also the eggs will provide way too much cholesterol in your diet. 210 mg x 4 is 840 mg of cholesterol even before you start your day, never mind what you get from the rest of your diet. You're finished growing now, so you don't need to eat the growing medium from another species (eggs, milk). Also it seems like you're having way too much flaxseed oil. The 15 g you indicate would give you 8 g of omega-3 fatty acids per day which could result in bleeding on the brain. You should limit omega 3 fatty acids to about 3.5 g per day. Personally, I get daily nosebleeds if I go over 4 g per day, but experiences differ person by person.

Edited by scottknl, 21 November 2013 - 12:46 AM.

• like x 1

#15 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Suggestion: Drop the eggs, milk and protein powder and replace it with beans, nuts, olive oil and a small amount of molasses. If you have to have some milk for your shake, then get almond milk or rice milk. You get more fats in fewer calories for longer lasting energy to make it to lunch without snacking. It's also much cheaper. The eggs, milk and protein powder will raise your IGF-1 levels thru the roof and this will cause your to grow a spare tire around your middle and make it impossible for you to lose weight. Also the eggs will provide way too much cholesterol in your diet. 210 mg x 4 is 840 mg of cholesterol even before you start your day, never mind what you get from the rest of your diet. You're finished growing now, so you don't need to eat the growing medium from another species (eggs, milk). Also it seems like you're having way too much flaxseed oil. The 15 g you indicate would give you 8 g of omega-3 fatty acids per day which could result in bleeding on the brain. You should limit omega 3 fatty acids to about 3.5 g per day. Personally, I get daily nosebleeds if I go over 4 g per day, but experiences differ person by person.

I finished the rest of the protein powder today, I'll not be ordering anymore of it. I can get whatever I need from diet alone. Instead of consuming predigested proteins.

Substituting cow's milk for almond milk is a great idea. I need more vitamin e and minerals in my diet and almonds have an abundance of those.

Also, my cholesterol intake is way too high, so I've removed the eggs from my diet. Cholesterol contributes to atherosclerosis, I'd rather not increase my risk of developing that disease.

The blackstrap molasses have been a great addition as well. A teaspoon of it contains 353 mg of potassium.

Log
Day 2-5.
  • The gains on the digit span test on cambridgebrainscience is permanent it would seem.
  • I shouldn't drink coffee while taking deprenyl. So I'm cutting down on my daily intake.
  • My baseline is 12 on several of the "scene crasher" levels. I scored between 15 and 18 on my second try. This amounts to being in the "99th" percentile for what it's worth. I find it interesting that I could best so many players, when I consider my memory to be extraordinarily poor.
The "gains" I experience on the "brain training" exercises might be a direct result of increased dopamine levels, which would result in my being better able to concentrate for extended periods of time. Or, because of my studying how to program in Java (which requires me to be able to read code and think several steps ahead) and by studying how algorithms work.

I'd like to find out if brain training games are just a hoax or if it's actually beneficial.

Alternatively all these explanations are true and also true vice versa, so that the brain training games actually do work, and that by playing these games every day I reinforce some neural pathways that are useful for understanding logical stuff. And the same being true for studying programming, i.e. I become better at "brain training games".

Scientific litterature:

Edited by Deep Thought, 25 November 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#16 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Log
Day 18.
Weight: ~114.5
I've lost 5.5 kgs thus far.

Push ups: 26. Goal: 30.
Crunches: 30. Goal: 40.

100 to 200 mg of 5-HTP, 1 to 2 grams of tyrosine and 5 to 10 mgs of deprenyl has done wonders for mood, motivation and abolishing anxiety driven behaviour. I barely fear rejections any longer; something that a CAE should assist me in unlearning. My theory is that this in part is due to selegiline stimulating neuronal impulse propagation mediated release of neurotransmitters (See BPAP[Benzofuranylpropylaminopentane] for more info on this.), and also due to the neuroprotective and neurotrophic factor releasing properties of selegiline. The conversion of DLPA to phenylethylamine and the enkephalinase inhibitory property of D-Phenylalanine, might also be beneficial in this regard. Endorphin release, especially beta-endorphin, has an effect on hippocampal neurogenesis and reinforcing new behaviour (which is now highly positive behaviour, due to the other effects of selegiline.) The serotonergic system in the brain offers positive effects in regards to endurance training, which may partly explain why I no longer feel discouraged to continue doing push ups in the middle of a set.

I've cut way back on the variety of supplements that I take.

IQ: 145 on the international mensa test, and 141 on the danish test.

I've increased my IQ by 7 points and my working memory is better in real-life scenarios. I figured out how to solve the last exercise, by applying an algorithm. That was all it took.

Other things...
I experience far-transfer effects from the brain training and academic work that I do.

I suspected that my visual memory was improving. (I didn't type mention this in the log, though I wish I should've.) I think I've found proof that it has improved. On cambridgebrainscience I now average 240 on the rotations test. My score increased by ~71%, just by taking deprenyl, 5-HTP, Tyrosine and DLPA. I don't think I've become better at the game, because last time I played was the 17th of november. (If I recall.)

Note
I've cut way down on caffeine intake and starting from tomorrow, I'll stop drinking it completely. Caffeine doesn't give me a pleasant energy boost anymore.

Edited by Deep Thought, 08 December 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#17 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Log
Day 19.

Due to ceasing caffeine consumption I'm experiencing migraine like headaches. Vasoconstriction/vasodilation? The headaches disappear when drinking just one cup of coffee.

Memory
My ability to recall conversations has somewhat improved. I was able to connect stuff that people had previously talked about to the things they talk about now. It's a little scary that deprenyl actually works.

Fear of rejection is rapidly disappearing. Faster than I can accustom myself to. I find myself in situations where I'd normally experience anixety at the prospect of rejection or the uncertainty of the outcome, and find this no longer affects me to the same extent.

#18 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

@Deep Thought – are you still on deprenyl? At what dosage? Have all of the effects lasted, or have some subsided? How are you doing with your goals? Thanks!

#19 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

Log
Day 19.

Due to ceasing caffeine consumption I'm experiencing migraine like headaches. Vasoconstriction/vasodilation? The headaches disappear when drinking just one cup of coffee.

Memory
My ability to recall conversations has somewhat improved. I was able to connect stuff that people had previously talked about to the things they talk about now. It's a little scary that deprenyl actually works.

Fear of rejection is rapidly disappearing. Faster than I can accustom myself to. I find myself in situations where I'd normally experience anixety at the prospect of rejection or the uncertainty of the outcome, and find this no longer affects me to the same extent.

How are you doing now? What brand or form of deprenyl were you taking? Dep Pro? Jumex?

#20 Proudmoore

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Deep, is everything alright? You have been quiet for an awfully long time!

#21 kaypeeoh

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'm not disciplined enough to micro-manage my diet as the OP has done.   But I take 2.5mg deprenyl daily.   It reduced my need for caffeine but hasn't eliminated it.  The main side effect is jitteriness in my hands.   Suddenly I can't write legibly and can't read what I'd written days ago.  My understanding is MAOs break down choline-based hormones and chemicals.  This would include most Pituitary secretions.  What I've found is less need to get up at night because ADH is lasting longer.    Just curious if the OP et al have had similar experiences. 

kpo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By