- - - - -

SSRI and MAOI

interaction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anewlife

• 210 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

I am currently on Zoloft 50mg and want to take a supplement that contains Siberian Rhodiola rosea (root) 113.33mg

I came across this http://www.livestron...a-rosea-zoloft/

Also here it shows its a MAOI https://en.wikipedia...ntific_evidence

I already smoke which is a MAOI.

Should I go ahead with it or wait till I am off the Zoloft?

#2 **DEACTIVATED**

• Validating/Suspended
  • 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

That combination can potentially kill you, please use caution.

MAOI's aren't prescribed as antidepressants anymore because they alone have the ability to kill a person. That's why SSRI's (Zoloft is one) are the more popular antidepressant methods.

You're basically just increasing your risk of hypertension (heart attack) by increasing the MAO enzyme inhibition factor with Rhodiola. The less the MAO-A enzyme can be broken down, the more Tyramine that will be left in your system. Too much Tyramine = The Cheese Effect or/and hypertension. So, monitor your body carefully because hypertension is not easily noticeable. I would play it safe and just monitor your blood pressure. I would actually play it even safer and not combine those together.

MAOI's are found in many places, but they all vary in their strength and which type of MAO enzyme they inhibit, there's A and B. MAOI-A is what you want to stay away from.

Just be careful.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interaction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users