Protecting the brain and body while on amphetamines

amphetamines protecting the brain neuroprotection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FrogWarrior

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

I wish I had known what I know now, when I first got prescribed ADHD meds. I'm starting this thread to inform others so they can take steps to protect themselves from the harmful effects of amphetamine.

Neurotoxicity:
The theory about why amphetamine causes neurotoxicity is that dopamine is supposedly a relatively reactive molecule. It gets auto-oxidised into a reactive metabolite which then causes oxidative damage to the pre synaptic terminals of dopaminergic neurons. Unlike Parkinsons disease, the dopamine cell bodies don't actually die, but without the terminals, they can no longer release dopamine.

Whether this is true or not, theres no harm in taking preventative measures. Here are some ways to protect against this type of neurotoxicity, as well as other forms of neurotoxicity and damage to other areas of the body such as the liver:

Antioxidants:
First and foremost, antioxidants will protect the brain cells against oxidative damage. Antioxidants also protect other organs such as the liver. This means that antioxidants that antioxidants prevent amphetamine induced neurotoxicity, assuming that the theory mentioned above is actually valid. This is the main part of this article since most of the damage caused by amphetamines boils down to free radical damage.

Firstly, a bit about antioxidants. Antioxidants protect cells in the body by neutralizing toxic free radicals. Its necessary to take a mixture of antioxidants because different types of antioxidants protect different parts of the body. Some anti-oxidants are water soluble, some fat soluble. Some anti-oxidants can penetrate membranes easily, some can't. Some anti-oxidants can readily cross the blood brain barrier, others can't.

Vitamin C is a water soluble antioxidant so it neutralises free radicals in the blood and aqueous areas surrounding the cells. Vitamin E on the other hand is a fat soluble antioxidant, so it protects fatty areas of the body such as the walls of the blood vessels. As a result, it prevents the hardening of arteries. Some antioxidants are soluble in both water and fat. Examples are alpha lipoic acid and melotonin. Then there are antioxidants which are present inside the cells, and thus protect the cells from the inside. Glutathione is the bodies main endogenous antioxidant which protects the inside of cells. Unfortunately it doesn't get absorbed very well so ingesting glutathione doesn't work. Alpha lipoic acid is an analogue of glutathione which can penetrate cells and thus, protect the cell membrane and inner cell.

Co-enzyme Q10 is a powerful fat soluble antioxidant, and because of its role in cellular respiration, it gets transported to the inner wall of the mitochondria, this gives it the unusual property of protecting the inner mitochondria (an area where protection is greatly needed) from free radical damage. Since the body uses energy from the mitochondria to produce its own endogenous antioxidants such as glutathione, protecting the mitochondria enables the body to produce adequate levels of these endogenous antioxidants. Another antioxidant which protects the inner mitochondria is beta-carotene. Co-enzyme Q10 also protects cholestrol against oxidation. Another powerful antioxidant used in the cellular respiration process is acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR). ALCAR protects the outer walls of the mitochondria.

In order to prevent amphetamine neurotoxicity, its essential to take anti-oxidants which can cross the blood brain barrier, and thus enter the brain where amphetamines act. Some powerful anti-oxidants which can readily cross the BBB are acetylcarnitine, alpha lipoic acid and melotonin.

The first antioxidant one should stock up on is vitamin C, because many other antioxidants rely on it in order to function properly. When many antioxidants such as vitamin E neutralise a toxic free radical, they themselves get converted into toxic free radicals, which if left unchecked, would go on to harm cells. Vitamin C on the other hand gets converted into a stable (non toxic) free radical so when an oxidized Vitamin E molecule comes into collides with a Vitamin C molecule, the oxidation chain comes to an end.

Melotonin like alpha lipoic acid, is a multipurpose antioxidant which is both water and fat soluble, penetrates cells, and readily crosses the blood brain barrier. Melotonin is a sleep inducing hormone, and can thus help counter amphetamine induced insomnia if taken at night time. Additionally, melotonin has been shown to protect the liver and even help repair liver damage. Melotonin is produced by the pineal gland in the absence of light hitting the retina, so its a good idea to use a blind fold for sleeping in order to maximize melotonin production in the brain.

Aspirin is a good antioxidant which has been shown to protect the brain against amphetamine related damage. It is also an anticoagulant so it helps counteract hypertension (a side effect of amphetamine) and prevents strokes and heart attacks etc. Thats why I always take aspirin along with dexedrine. Baby aspirin is all you need (higher doses are hard on the stomach).

Plant extracts such as grape seed extract and green tea extract are good because they contain a wide range of different anti-oxidants and classes essential nutrients such as flavonoids (nutrients with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties), isoflavones, carotenoids, essential fatty acids etc.

One should also know a bit about the bodies own endogenous anti-oxidants in order to know how to keep them at optimum levels. On top of protecting the mitochondria (explained above), another way to boost glutathione is by taking precursors such as acetylcysteine. The bodies antioxidant enzymes use zinc, copper, selenium and manganese so its a good idea to make sure one has enough of these trace elements in their body.

NMDA antagonists:
Another cause of brain damage is glutamate cytotoxicity. This happens when you have a surplus of glutamate in the brain, the glutamate overactivates the glutamate receptors and damages them. The 3 types of glutamate receptors are NMDA, AMPA and kainate.

NMDA receptors protect the brain against this kind of damage and on top of that, they counteract tolerance to amphetamine. Magnesium is a partial NMDA antagonist so its a good idea to take a magnesium supplement every day. Full NMDA antagonist drugs like ketamine or memantine can of course be dangerous so shouldn't be combined with other drugs unless you know exactly what you are doing. One can take a prescription NMDA antagonist like memantine on days off the dexedrine to help prevent tolerance to the dexedrine.

NMDA induced neurotoxicity seems to be caused, ultimately by the conversion of nitric oxide (a neurotransmitter released after the NMDA receptor is activated), therefore this kind of neurotoxicity can be prevented by blocking steps further down the cascade. For example, nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitors such as methylene blue prevent NMDA excitotoxicity by inhibiting the cells ability to produce nitric oxide. NOS inhibitors also prevent tolerance to amphetamines. The best way to block this damage, without interfering with the activity of glutamate receptors would be to block the action of superoxide itself. Co-Enzyme Q10 helps boost levels of superoxide dismutase, a class of enzymes which break down superoxide.

Protecting the Heart and Brain:
Amphetamine use causes some cardiovascular issues, and this can indirectly cause harm to the brain since its the cardiovascular system which carries the oxygen and other compounds needed to keep the brain cells alive and healthy. Thus, it is a good idea to take measures to prevent the risk of heart attack or stroke, and maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. Firstly, as mentioned in the anti-oxidant section, taking the right combination of anti-oxidants will protect the blood vessels. One factor which causes heart problems is oxidation of the arterial walls. Fat soluble antioxidants like vitamin E prevent this.

Oxidised LDL cholestrol also attacks artery walls so taking anti-oxidants like Co-Enzyme Q10 prevents this by shielding the cholestrol. Most people over 20 already have significant amounts of oxidized LDL cholestrol in the arteries, so another class of antioxidant called flavanoids can be used to reverse that. Flavonoids enter the blood vessel walls and dampen down the inflammation. A good flavonoid is quercetin.

Taking vasodilators may be a good idea in order to counteracting amphetamine induced vasoconstriction Gingko biloba is a decent vasodilator, which also contains powerful anti-oxidants. GABA activity induces vasodilation so boosting GABA levels is a good idea. GABA itself doesn't cross the blood brain barrier very well, but its picamilon can readily cross the BBB and boost GABA levels in the brain. Picamilon is basically a molecule of GABA binded to a molecule of niacin, so it can be considered a GABA and vitamin B3 supplement. It is an effective vasodilator.

Anticoagulents such as aspirin help prevent blood clotting, and thus lower the risk of heart attack or stroke. One should be careful with stronger anticoagulents such as warfarin as they have a greater tendency to interact with drugs.

There are also substances which directly protect the brain against hypoxia induced damage. Racetams such as piracetam and related nootropics protect the brain by enhancing the bioavailability of oxygen to neurons in the brain. Piracetam has been shown to drastically reduce the brain damage incurred by stroke victims, if administered shortly after the stroke. There is also some anecdotal evidence that piracetam counteracts amphetamine tolerance.

Protecting the Liver:
The majority of drug induced liver damage boils down to oxidative damage, therefore antioxidants are the most important factor for protecting the liver. The endogenous antioxidant responsible for protecting the liver against this damage is glutathione, liver damage occurs when the bodies natural glathione reserves are depleted faster than they can regenerate. Two powerful liver protecting supplements one should know about are milk thistle and acetylcystine. Milk thistle is the most powerful liver tonic known to man. It protects the liver against damage and even helps repair the liver. It works by increasing levels of glutathione which is a compound the liver uses to metabolise drugs.

Acetylcysteine is one of the bodies precursors for glutathione so it can used to boost glutathione levels. It is also a potent antioxidant in itself.

Replenishing Neurotrasmitters:
Amphetamine causes dopamine and norepinephrine to be released and as a result, it causes these neurotransmitters to get depleted at a relatively rapid rate. The obvious way to replenish them is to take neurotransmitter supplements. To make dopamine and norepinephrine, the body starts with phenylalanine, it goes:
Phenylalanine -> Tyrosine -> Dopa -> Dopamine -> Norepinephrine -> Epinephrine
I think I left out a metabolite or two but they're the ones you should know about. The most direct way to replenish your dopamine is by taking l-dopa. It gets converted to dopamine quicker than l-tyrosine does. However, amphetamine doesn't just deplete dopamine and norepinephrine, it depletes all the neurotransmitters in the metabolic pathway. It also depletes phenethylamine which is another neurotransmitter that the body synthesises from phenylalanine. With this in mind, its a good idea to take phenylalanine supplements so that you replenish the starting material.

Thats just the start of the thread, I'll add more and clean it up when I have the time. The reason I post this here first is because I see this forum is full of people with extensive knowledge on pharmacology and optimising health and functioning. I'd appreciate it if others here can pitch in, if you add some info, I'll edit to OP and add it in.

Edited by FrogWarrior, 10 November 2013 - 11:31 AM.

• like x 1

#2 FrogWarrior

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I can't edit my post for some reason. I need to update it. Mods, can you enable editing on the OP?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kowalsteeze

• 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

This is interesting.

Intra-striatal infusion of a high dose (100 μg/3 μl) of methamphetamine produced long-lasting depletions of striatal dopamine and serotonin in both male and female mice. Male mice exhibited a greater depletion of striatal dopamine and serotonin than female mice. A similar trend of sexual differences was observed when 4 cumulative doses of methamphetamine were administered systemically. Thus, the sexual differences in methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity in the striatum are probably not due to their differences in peripheral metabolism of methamphetamine. Moreover, ovariectomized (OVX) mice supplemented with 3 daily doses of estradiol benzoate (EB) at high or physiological levels, 3 daily doses of progesterone (P), and 2 doses of EB followed by 1 dose of P all demonstrated higher striatal dopamine levels following methamphetamine treatment as compared to vehicle-supplemented controls. The OVX mice pretreated with 3 daily doses of P exhibited the highest striatal serotonin levels after methamphetamine administration of all groups. In conclusion, sexual differences observed in methamphetamine-induced striatal neurotoxicity may be modulated by ovarian hormones.

#4 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thank you for your article, FrogWarrior.

There are different forms (4?) of vitamin E. Is there a significant difference, effectiveness wise, between these forms for brain protection or doesn't it really matter which one I choose?

#5 FrogWarrior

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

From what I've read, its best to take a mixture of vitamin E tocopherols as they all contribute slightly different properties. The d-alpha tocopherol has less anti-oxidant capacity so you need to take more of it. The only vitamin E they have at my local pharmacy is d-alpha so I take at least 400iu (265mg) at a time. Plant sources are ideal since they contain a mixture of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Peanuts are a real good source of vitamin E, drinking a small shot of peanut oil and olive oil is a good way to boost up on fat soluble antioxidants and nutrients.

Edited by FrogWarrior, 15 November 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#6 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hello

This is a very interesting topic.
In my experience - consuming a lot of DIETARY CHOLESTEROL before sleep (9h) has had the biggest impact on recovery from, and sensitization to ALL stimulants.

Whether it is modafinil, caffeine or heavier/lighter stuff, their consistency and potency of effect has been very much dependent on my sleep and pre-sleep nutrition.

My recommendation is, if you're going to use any form of stimulant or drug that taxes the central nervous system is the following:
High dietary cholesterol intake PRIOR to, and at least 7-9h hours of sleep.

My routine is pretty simple.
I just consume 100-200g shrimp or a few eggs before bed, and sleep at least 8 hours. I feel this fully recoveres my CNS and sensitizes me to use whatever I want the following day without tolerance.

IMO, try the shrimp before bed. It has significant effects on my CNS-function and recovery.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 LifeisBall

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

I really liked this post. At the end though people said taking l-dopa or eating high l-dopa foods long term can actually make your body dependent on them so your baseline dopamine goes down. Just adding that knowledge to it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amphetamines, protecting the brain, neuroprotection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users