• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Vitamin B12 - how long is it really active in the system?

b12

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

How might one counter B12 methylcoblamin side effects? Or get this junk out of my system? 

I been feeling so intenselyyy hott. Possibly blood thickening action? There are said to be contradictions w B12 and blood disorders so maybe that's the connection.  I feel so tired, so sluggish, and incrediblyyyy hotttt on the inside.   Will never take b12 again, assuming that is what's causing it.

Would B12 be depleting something else that might be crucial?  I took around 800mcg 2 days in a row. 

#32 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

Calm down! B12 doesn't cause any side effects at all. You obsess over some random symptoms that probably have no specific cause whatsoever - everyone occasionally feels hot and sluggish. You will very likely feel better as soon as you stop obessing about it.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Calm down! B12 doesn't cause any side effects at all. You obsess over some random symptoms that probably have no specific cause whatsoever - everyone occasionally feels hot and sluggish. You will very likely feel better as soon as you stop obessing about it.

That's nonsense. Anyone can google B12 side effects and many results will come up. To claim no one in history has ever faced any adverse effects to B12 supplementation would also indicate that no one has ever received benefit as well. 

My last two days have gone down the drain. It's been far beyond just feeling ''hot'' and ''sluggish''.   It is finally subsiding though. 

Edited by AlexCanada, 24 June 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#34 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

This thread is full of all kinds of silly.

Cobalamin is stored in the liver (this is why it can take years for B12 deficiency to show up in vegans even when taking cyanocobalamin)

Of course B12 supplements have side effects.   Everything you put in your body has side effects somewhere in your body.

I can speak to methylcobalamin specifically since I take it and give some to my daughter.  The side effects you get from that is almost entirely due to your body's current state of methylation which is a major factor when using methyl B12 and methylfolate.  I bet if you tried hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalmin you would quick see it's the methyl thats causing trouble here

But seriously calm the fuck down dude.  Even the shittiest B12 analogue wouldn't have fucked you up that bad.

I wonder though now, considering all this stuff about reactions to methylcobalamin, other connections with urea strangness, if OP would go back and try malic acid, either in citrulline malate or as magnesium malate

• Ill informed x 1

#35 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

That's nonsense. Anyone can google B12 side effects and many results will come up. To claim no one in history has ever faced any adverse effects to B12 supplementation would also indicate that no one has ever received benefit as well. 

My last two days have gone down the drain. It's been far beyond just feeling ''hot'' and ''sluggish''.   It is finally subsiding though. 

Anyone can google any kind of nonsense and find plenty of results, be it alien abductions or adverse effects from B12. So what? The internet is full of hysterical nonsense and if there's anything less reliable then anecdotal evidence, it's anecdotal "evidence" posted by anonymous people on the internet. I'm pretty sure that the reports of adverse effects from B12 are entirely due to people experiencing placebo effects and obsessing about it.

The only legitimate ways to determine adverse effects are clinical trials and the observation of professional physicians. There have been countless trials with B12 and decades of clinical experience and yet no adverse effects have been found whatsoever. If you get a high dose prescription form of B12, the leaflet doesn't even list a single adverse effect.

Ah, and please spare me that methylation moonshine. Methylation seems a bit like quantum physics - people who don't have any background in physics/biochemics and no real understanding of the subject love to project all sorts of mumbo jumbo into it.

Yes, methylcobalamin is a methyl donor, it adds to the body's pool of methyl groups. Just like a drop of water adds to a swimming pool. I'm baffled how people put furth grandiose theories about how trace vitamins (B12 and folate) with attached methyl groups purportedly affect methylation without giving any thought to the scales involved. If you are really concerned that a single dose of methylcobalamin could affect your whole-body methylation status you may as well be concerned that pissing into the ocean might cause a flood in Bangladesh.

To give you a concrete example: one single egg would supply you with several thousand times the amount of methyl groups provided by a 1 mg dose of methylcobalamin.

Edited by timar, 25 June 2015 - 08:57 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Informative x 2

#36 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

Anyone can google any kind of nonsense and find plenty of results, be it alien abductions or adverse effects from B12. So what? The internet is full of hysterical nonsense and if there's anything less reliable then anecdotal evidence, it's anecdotal "evidence" posted by anonymous people on the internet. I'm pretty sure that the reports of adverse effects from B12 are entirely due to people experiencing placebo effects and obsessing about it.

The only legitimate ways to determine adverse effects are clinical trials and the observation of professional physicians. There have been countless trials with B12 and decades of clinical experience and yet no adverse effects have been found whatsoever. If you get a high dose prescription form of B12, the leaflet doesn't even list a single adverse effect.

Ah, and please spare me that methylation moonshine. Methylation seems a bit like quantum physics - people who don't have any background in physics/biochemics and no real understanding of the subject love to project all sorts of mumbo jumbo into it.

Yes, methylcobalamin is a methyl donor, it adds to the body's pool of methyl groups. Just like a drop of water adds to a swimming pool. I'm baffled how people put furth grandiose theories about how trace vitamins (B12 and folate) with attached methyl groups purportedly affect methylation without giving any thought to the scales involved. If you are really concerned that a single dose of methylcobalamin could affect your whole-body methylation status you may as well be concerned that pissing into the ocean might cause a flood in Bangladesh.

To give you a concrete example: one single egg would supply you with several thousand times the amount of methyl groups provided by a 1 mg dose of methylcobalamin.

"Methylation seems a bit like quantum physics"

LOL!  It's just chemistry.    Although you can probably say everything ultimately boils down to physics, but there can be no doubt that that was not your meaning.

"people who don't have any background in physics/biochemics and no real understanding of the subject love to project all sorts of mumbo jumbo into it."

That's true, there is all kinds of bullshit about methylation on the internet.  Half of it is people blowing actual differences between cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin way out of proportion.   However I'm not one of those people considering the 3 years or so of chemistry, bio- and organic chemistry that is required for my major in evolutionary biology. 

Also, your paragraph about methylation has little do with anything I said because I was never arguing all that nonsense.  That's not where I was going.  Especially considering that gross mischaracterization of my point with your argument about "a single dose of methylcobalamin."   It doesn't pay to be that irrational and erect absurd straw men.  Calm the fuck down.    I only go by the facts and in this case it is a fact that a person can have three different sets of side effects for those three types of cobalamin.    The different functional groups that the B12 is attached to DO alter the compound and DO have different effects in the body, however subtly.  That's partly why they're called functional groups, remember?

If you think you can argue against this you're going to be in for a nasty surprise considering how many thousands of compounds we can list that we can alter the way the body uses them just by adding some a methyl group or two, a phenyl group, a carbonyl group, a hydroxyl group, etc to the compound.  Sometimes these very tiny changes can incur massively different  effects in the body, like changing a harmless, nearly inert compound into a lethal substance.  Chemistry is pure sorcery like that.

And around these boards, all we really have to do to verify this fact is ask simple questions like these: What is the difference between piracetam and phenylpiracetam?  What is the difference between GABA and phenibut?

Edited by Duchykins, 25 June 2015 - 08:19 PM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

As you intake more water you can begin to flush water soluble vitamins and minerals," Dr. Kinney told INSIDER. "Water soluble vitamins, such as the B Vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6 & B12) & vitamin C, are not stored long term and may be excreted with excess water intake if you're not taking in proper supplementation, too

another site:

Getting enough of the recommended daily amount of essential minerals and vitamins is key for optimal health and body function. While some vitamins dissolve in water, your body will retain the nutrients it needs. Thus, while drinking water and other fluids will increase urination, it will not lead to the loss of necessary vitamins; rather, it will help you stay hydrated. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users