• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Narcissism on the rise?

narcissism

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Article:
http://www.psycholog...arcissism-today

Although the data probably cannot be extrapolated directly to the same demographic in my country, I'm still pretty sure narcissism is spreading like wildfire. At campus I notice people, whom could be classified as having cerebral narcissistic traits.

What do you think?
  • Agree x 2

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Narcissism is what comes after Christianity goes.
  • dislike x 9
  • like x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

Haha, no, peace and quiet is what comes after Christianity goes. When is Christianity taking down its churches and cleaning up its messes if finally it's going away already?
  • like x 4
  • dislike x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Haha, no, peace and quiet is what comes after Christianity goes. When is Christianity taking down its churches and cleaning up its messes if finally it's going away already?

Christians would have to burn down every library in the world, every bible and every church to cover up the immoral acts that have been committed in the name of their religion.

I take it that you haven't heard about William Lane Craig?

Edited by Deep Thought, 22 November 2013 - 08:03 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#5 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

Some great examples. And great irony.
  • dislike x 2

#6 Deep Thought

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Some great examples. And great irony.

Thank you, the internet is the only place where I can poke fun at religion without fearing the repercussions, such as mindless aggression.

Edited by Deep Thought, 22 November 2013 - 08:23 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#7 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:09 AM

The cause, I believe, is Facebook/SMS/how people interact with each other nowadays. Also the Google bubble, wherein Google censors your search results based on what it thinks you like, therefore strengthening your own world view and thus increasing narcissistic tendencies. I suppose it's slightly more complicated, but I have absolutely no doubt that the way we utilize technology nowadays is at the root of the problem
  • like x 1

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Terrible child rearing practices in the West. Parents' lives revolve around their children in a way that was not the case in previous generations, when children had to entertain themselves and adults had their own lives. Children are brought up to believe they are special just for being who they are and are taught unjustified self-esteem for having accomplished nothing, which is of course nonsense. No wonder people grow up to believe that the world revolves around them - it is what they are taught.

Edited by nowayout, 21 December 2013 - 01:07 PM.

• Agree x 1

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

It's an effect of young people being more tired than old people. Tired people are more selfish and narcissistic.

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2o7MS22kU

Edited by rwac, 21 December 2013 - 01:59 PM.

• like x 3

#10 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

It's an effect of young people being more tired than old people. Tired people are more selfish and narcissistic.

Very intriguing. The researcher in the article 'wonders if it's technology.'

Maybe technology tends to make users stay up later due to overstimulation and also the blue light of LCD screens, which messes up the circadian rhythm. I know technology has seriously screwed up my own sleep schedule and that of my peers.

So maybe technology causes sleep deprivation/disturbance/circadian abnormalities which in turn cause or exacerbate narcissism?

Must look into more

#11 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

interesting. I would think it's the go-getters that are selfish and narcissistic? Maybe it's justifiable compared to tired/lazy people that are selfish and narcissistic and wants to feel special when they absolutely done NOTHING (aka the Facebook generation type)? The people in Hollywood tend to be selfish and narcissistic. They don't appear "tired". Maybe it's because they had the connections so they don't need to work as hard to get where they got therefore they don't appear tired? Look at Miley Cyrus, that's the poster child of this generation, I think. If someone can give another example, feel free. It's who I could think of right now since her publicity people can't stop sending press releases about her so "she's all over the place".

But then again selfishness and narcissism has always been human nature. An example of this is how the U.S. was founded and built up. It's me me me, mine mine mine. It's just more populated now that it's easier to notice it more and more, at home, at work, in cyberspace.

Edited by eon, 23 December 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#12 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

But then again selfishness and narcissism has always been human nature. An example of this is how the U.S. was founded and built up. It's me me me, mine mine mine.

Very true. Selfishness and narcissism has always been part of the American Way, but especially with the rise of the new conservatism starting with Reagan these have become qualities that about half, if not more, of the population actually considers virtuous, believe it or not.
  • like x 2

#13 IronLife

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Narcissism and selfishness are
Not limited to "neo-conservatism." Consider also the liberal "elites" like Dianne Feinstein who propose gun restrictions that apply to everyone BUT the members of Congress. Or, all of those in Congress who in a bipartisan effort preserved their "privilege" to be privy to insider stock trading which has made members like Nanci Pelosi rich, while the Martha Stewarts of the world go to jail for it. The corruption is systemic.

These degenerative conditions have spread throughout the mainstream because real philosophical and existential pursuits of knowledge existence and rigorous, physical living have been exchanged for reality tv and libertinism.

Edited by IronLife, 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#14 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

They are a little bit vague.
Do they think we have a Narcissm Epidemic because we see more and more people post "Selfies" on their Facebook page, or what exactly?

#15 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

Saying people are narcissistic because they are tired is a gross oversimplification of a definition which is somewhat vague in itself. Narcissism has several contexts. To me at least, there is the narcissistic person that is overly proud of himself for no real reasons. False pride I guess is a better term for that.

People call "go-getters" narcissists but many people are productive narcissists and sometimes their ego has some basis in reality.

I think to group all narcissists together or claim that they are all the result of one thing is a little over reaching.

Edited by xks201, 09 March 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#16 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

I just want to point out that my response was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek.

#17 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Terrible child rearing practices in the West. Parents' lives revolve around their children in a way that was not the case in previous generations, when children had to entertain themselves and adults had their own lives. Children are brought up to believe they are special just for being who they are and are taught unjustified self-esteem for having accomplished nothing, which is of course nonsense. No wonder people grow up to believe that the world revolves around them - it is what they are taught.

We have an epidemic of depression (with symptoms like feelings of worthlessness, lack of self-esteem). To me your assumption doesn't add up. How do you explain increased rates of depression and narcissism?

The United States is one of the most religious countries on earth with a homicide rate appr. 6-7x higher than most other developed countries. Japan has the lowest crime rate and is a country of atheists. Your conclusion doesn't hold up. Correlations actually show the opposite of what you assume.

The cause, I believe, is Facebook/SMS/how people interact with each other nowadays. Also the Google bubble, wherein Google censors your search results based on what it thinks you like, therefore strengthening your own world view and thus increasing narcissistic tendencies. I suppose it's slightly more complicated, but I have absolutely no doubt that the way we utilize technology nowadays is at the root of the problem

I believe that technology leads to more isolation and increased rates of mental illness. I think of narcissism as a mental illness (or at least a symptom worth noting) such as depression. Things that bring down rates of - for example - depression, should also bring down the rates of narcissism. At least according to my hypothesis.

The reason why narcissism increases is of cultural origin:
Schizophrenics who lived hundreds of years ago saw devils, hell etc.
Schizophrenics nowadays see cameras everywhere and think they are being watched by the NSA.

The symptoms you have as someone who is mentally ill is at least partially determined by culture.
Those who are mentally stable will not develop NPD. You need a basis (vulnerability to mental illness due to genetics and traumas) combined with cultural factors.

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

We have an epidemic of depression (with symptoms like feelings of worthlessness, lack of self-esteem). To me your assumption doesn't add up. How do you explain increased rates of depression and narcissism?

Putting aside for now the problem of overdiagnosis (which may give the false impression of an epidemic) your point is only valid if you accept the claim that parents' constant affirmation and spoiling of children increases self-esteem. I would hypothesize that the opposite is the case.

Also, narcissism is not incompatible with depression. In fact, it would make a lot of sense to me if that narcissism increases the risk for depression

#19 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

Would the feeling of wanting to be more important that one really is a form of narcissism? Isn't this common with society? I see this all the time in schools and or anywhere there is a social gathering (schools, clubs, workplaces, gyms, etc). Everyone want to appear more special than they really are. When these narcissists come to realize they aren't as special as they think they are, thus leading to depression. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? This is common is campuses whether schools or workplaces. So narcissism is then compatible with depression. My observation of colleges and or universities is that everyone there is to compete with each other (academics, looks, social status, etc.). It gets worse depending on geography, the city there is more arrogance than the country side but it's the same difference. Couldn't these distractions be the elephant in the room that dropout rates and depression rates are high among-st students? The institutions still get their money and laugh all the way to the bank. Would modernization be another elephant? I'm not talking about modern facilities but modern attitudes where the sexes or the races pretend they can sit in the same room without some type of tension. Consider places like the Middle East where I think it is segregated between man and woman, so there is no sexual tension and or arrogant subtle sexual persuasion (i.e. my genital is sweeter than yours, why don't YOU talk to me!).

Edited by eon, 12 March 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#20 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Would the feeling of wanting to be more important that one really is a form of narcissism? Isn't this common with society?

Consider places like the Middle East where I think it is segregated between man and woman, so there is no sexual tension

I don't think it is a form of narcissism in the strict sense, but vying for status is common in social mammals, especially primates.

It still happens in sex-segregated societies.
e.g., Designer Handbags for Saudi Girls
"“Most of these upper-class ladies are competitive and want to show off their elegance by wearing international brands. To them, the more expensive, the better.”

Edited by lemonhead, 14 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#21 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think gender separation causes sexual tension...hence the radicalism

#22 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

I think both segregation and integration of the sexes causes sexual tension, when segregated let's say in a boy's gym locker room, what do they talk about and feel about girls? Exactly. When "integrated" these tensions are "suppressed" but it's there hiding in the closet. Same with racial issues. Just my opinion and observation. Better off in the closet than not, right? Same with racism and so on...

I think gender separation causes sexual tension...hence the radicalism

Edited by eon, 15 March 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#23 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

If not a form of narcissism in the strict sense, could it be egotism? But you're right everyone wants to be loved and admired and envied...

Regarding designer handbags, that's true anywhere especially in "high society" type of places like NYC, Hollywood, to Dubai. Not sure if handbags had anything to do with sexual tensions as chances are these girls in Saudi Arabia already have their future husband lined-up. Girls and handbags. Boys and skateboards with extra bearings or rims. Not sure what this article you posted is trying to point out. Is it to point out narcissism or sexual tension?

Would the feeling of wanting to be more important that one really is a form of narcissism? Isn't this common with society?

Consider places like the Middle East where I think it is segregated between man and woman, so there is no sexual tension

I don't think it is a form of narcissism in the strict sense, but vying for status is common in social mammals, especially primates.

It still happens in sex-segregated societies.
e.g., Designer Handbags for Saudi Girls
"“Most of these upper-class ladies are competitive and want to show off their elegance by wearing international brands. To them, the more expensive, the better.”

Edited by eon, 15 March 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#24 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

Narcissism has been on the rise for a quite a while. I think it comes from not having a stay-at-home mom and a two parent family combined with negative social influences. People are just not healthy without a stay-at-home parent, preferably a mom, a two parent family, and the right social influences. People had that when I was young and they were more healthy and reasonable. If you are thinking about having children and you can't provide these things, think some more.

#25 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

The style of parenting has changed. Spoiling a child used to be called that because, well, it spoiled the child. The fact that nobody even uses the word any more just shows how ubiquitous it has become.
  • like x 1

#26 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

When "integrated" these tensions are "suppressed" but it's there hiding in the closet. Same with racial issues. Just my opinion and observation. Better off in the closet than not, right? Same with racism and so on...

This sounds like an argument for separation of the races. Am I reading that right?

#27 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

When "integrated" these tensions are "suppressed" but it's there hiding in the closet. Same with racial issues. Just my opinion and observation. Better off in the closet than not, right? Same with racism and so on...

This sounds like an argument for separation of the races. Am I reading that right?

I read it meaning the opposite: "Better off in the closet" ; though I don't know why eon doesn't think that Integration should, eventually, lead to less racism.

My point about the handbags was that people vie for social position, usually females among females and males among males. It doesn't matter if there is a member of the opposite sex around to impress or not. Higher social position means more power and access to resources ('resources' can include potential mates). The handbags are merely a status marker.

[Well, I guess the 'access to resources' thing is the evolutionary explanation, but social position has become something of an end in itself in humans. I keep thinking of scenes from Little Dorrit (I highly recommend the series, the set design alone is stunning. Another interesting thing about it is that came out right before the Madoff scandal and there's a plot line that is pretty much the same - Merdle, the man of the age...]

People have been saying 'this is the worst generation ever' for years. People are just people. My thinking is that with the media (social media and 24/7 news media) available today we are more aware of the horrible crap people do to each other.

Luminosity, My mom was a stay at home mom AND and actual narcissist (she had narcissistic personality disorder). I really wish she had gone to work and hired a nice nanny or put me in daycare/camp.

Edited by lemonhead, 15 March 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

People have been saying 'this is the worst generation ever' for years. People are just people. My thinking is that with the media (social media and 24/7 news media) available today we are more aware of the horrible crap people do to each other.

Oddly enough, I've heard more than one report saying that the millennials are all right. Maybe even better than some preceding generations. It was said that they are more interested in public service and making the world a better place, relative to previous greed-head generations.

#29 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Oddly enough, I've heard more than one report saying that the millennials are all right. Maybe even better than some preceding generations. It was said that they are more interested in public service and making the world a better place, relative to previous greed-head generations.

Mmm, I'm not sure generation X (my cohort) was ever characterized as greed-head. I think we were the first downwardly mobile generation, millennials are the second.

And the report I read of millennials is that they are more cynical of and less interested in public service at least as far as politics is concerned. They are also a lot less environmentalist than preceding generations, which is bothersome to me given that they stand to inherit the worst environmental crisis in human history.

Edited by nowayout, 16 March 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#30 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

Sorry you had that experience, Lemonhead. My father was pretty much of a textbook narcissist too. It was bad. They don't make good parents.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narcissism

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users