• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone have access to the full text of this study? Melatonin+Buspar=neurotrophic

buspar melatonin neurotrophic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

Unfortunately this study is study behind a paywall but I'd love to read it.

http://www.journalof...0246-4/abstract

Could anyone PM me the PDF?

#2 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Interesting study - 3 mg sustained release melatonin + 15 mg Buspar = antidepressant:

J Psychiatr Res. 2012 Dec;46(12):1553-63. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2012.08.013. Epub 2012 Sep 19.

An exploratory study of combination buspirone and melatonin SR in major depressive disorder (MDD): apossible role for neurogenesis in drug discovery.

Fava M, Targum SD, Nierenberg AA, Bleicher LS, Carter TA, Wedel PC, Hen R, Gage FH, Barlow C.

Source

Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA.

Abstract

We used in vitro neurogenesis-based human neural stem cell (hNSCs) assays and rodent in vivo behavioral assays to identify potential novel antidepressants. A combination of buspirone and melatonin displayed antidepressant activity in these assays whereas neither buspirone normelatonin alone showed any antidepressant-like profile. After evaluating numerous combination ratios, we determined that low dose buspirone 15 mg combined with melatonin-SR 3 mg yielded optimal antidepressant efficacy in our pre-clinical platform. The low dose of buspirone suggested that antidepressant efficacy might be achieved with only minimal adverse event liability. Based on these data, we conducted an exploratory 6-week, multi-center, double-blind, randomized, placebo- and comparator-controlled study of the combination of buspirone and melatonin in subjects with acuteMajor Depressive Disorder (MDD). The combination treatment revealed a significant antidepressant response in subjects with MDD on several measures (Clinical Global Impression of Severity and Improvement, Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology) compared to either placebo or buspirone 15 mg monotherapy. These preliminary findings have clinical implications and suggest that a platform of pre-clinical neurogenesis matched with confirmatory behavioral assays may be useful as a drug discovery strategy.
Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

PMID: 22998742 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

If you still need it, pm me

#4 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Got it, you guys rock!

#5 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Has anyone tried this combo?  It seems like a very interesting trial, I may ask my Doctor about it next visit.  Apologies for reviving a year old thread. 

#6 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Im right now taking buspirone at a total 10mg dose (split throughout the day to reduce mild sedation), and I also take Melatonin at night to sleep.

Buspirone dosing is tricky as upto an hour after dosing, I feel sedated, but if i take my last dose anytime after 6pm, I have a hard time getting to sleep. (which is why I started melatonin in the first place).

Could someone who read the full paper, let me know how the dosing was done?

Does it need to be taken together?

I'm thinking of taking my last dose along with the melatonin late at night.

Oh and btw has anyone tried this? :)

Edited by FocusPocus, 09 September 2014 - 09:25 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Could someone who read the full paper, let me know how the dosing was done?

The buspar & melatonin (the melatonin was in a sustained release form) were taken together, at bedtime - from the paper:

Subjects received... buspirone immediate release (IR) 15 mg with melatonin slow release (SR) 3 mg... for 6 weeks...

Subjects took two capsules of study drug once a day at bedtime with or without food...

I suppose you could take your buspar + melatonin at 6 pm (OK, as long as you don't have to do any driving etc). Melatonin can be taken several hours prior to bedtime.

Edited by blood, 09 September 2014 - 11:32 AM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buspar, melatonin, neurotrophic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users