Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Supplements to keep skin looking young

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#31 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yeah DMAE most likely does not effect lipfuscin, atleast no in the skin.

Do you think there are any advantages to using ALCAR?

I stick to the Arginate and Propionyl form, and it's mostly for some neuron support in the brain and mitochondrial support. So that isn't related to your purpose for taking it nor to this thread, so let's not hijack it.

#32 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,

I am on a tight budget and have ordered 60 caps of 50mg Jarrow HA for $12 on iHerb,
Do you really think 20 per day are needed? If it was such an amazing effect then $20 per week would not be so bad.
So I will get these and really you recommend firing all my bullets at once and using the bottle over 3 days?

Have you tried with 10 caps?

I have ordered the following

iHerb Nutritionals, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 120 Softgels $2.95

Doctor's Best, Best NAC Detox Regulators, 60 Veggie Caps $5.18

Jarrow Formulas, Hyaluronic Acid, 50 mg, 60 Capsules $12.97

Neocell, Super Collagen, Type 1 & 3, 7 oz (198 g) $12.26

The above 4 items I hope will help my skin, any ideas on dosage from people?

The bellow 3 items I will be using to bulk up, this combo has worked well in the past, the AAKG is a bit of a short cut as it leaves muscles a little fuller all the time but after just a few pushups I get pumped for a good hour or so and a gym session leaves me pumped all day.
Protein I think is important for skin as well, I find that I have less bags under my eyes when I am taking a decent amount of protein.

EAS, 100% Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla, 2 lbs (907 g) $24.54

Olympian Labs Inc., A-AKG Powder, Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, 90 g $13.62

Universal Nutrition, Creatine, 500 g $15.52

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

Below 8 caps you won't notice anything. The higher you dose the better the effect. Up to you. I think if you are on a tight budget you shouldn't be getting some of those things that will do absolutely nothing visible like the Neocell collagen and NAC detox regulators (molybdenum/NAC). Seems like a high dose of vitamin D3, be sure to get a blood test after 2-3 months.

I'd use L-Citrulline powder instead of the expensive and less effective AAKG.

#34 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi thanks, I might try with 20 first day then 15 per day.

collagen seems to be reported as having good effects for a lot of people but I will orger another HA and give it a try for two weeks then add the collagen. I smoke so I was hoping the NAC would help, just switched to electronic smoking only again and will try to keep away from the real cigs.

With the L-Citrulline or AAKG, I usualy doesd at about a gram per day and had good effects, its always a balance for me between results and ending up with cole sores/herpes.. Im not sure its even such a good idea, if I was exposed to herpes or my cole sores spread it could really mess me up all just to get some extra short term pumps.

#35 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Last, C60 is something Ive been very interested in. Where would be the best place for purchase?
Thank you all very much for your help!

I get my c60 from owndoc.com, but you might have source in the US that would be better for you - they are in EU.

Below 8 caps you won't notice anything. The higher you dose the better the effect.

I thought the oral way is ineffective? What effects have you noticed from it?.

#36 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Last, C60 is something Ive been very interested in. Where would be the best place for purchase?
Thank you all very much for your help!

I get my c60 from owndoc.com, but you might have source in the US that would be better for you - they are in EU.

Below 8 caps you won't notice anything. The higher you dose the better the effect.

I thought the oral way is ineffective? What effects have you noticed from it?.

See my earlier posts in this thread...

#37 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

What about supposed source of HA in Okinawan sweet potato? In this video I took from another thread, a researcher of Okinawan diet mentions that the sweet potato somehow contributes to HA and that's the reason for their remarkably smooth skin (for their age). Take a look:

It seems this casual remark spawned a rage on the Net suggesting that sweet potatoes of any kind, and some say even ordinary potato (raw!) will increase HA in the body. I made a feeble shot at pubmed but did not see anything re HA and sweet potatoes

Anyone can confirm or deny that eating sweet potatoes can increase HA?

Edited by xEva, 24 December 2013 - 02:34 AM.

• like x 1

#38 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Great video, I was using HA serum at one stage and think it did work for me.

#39 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

The sweet potato staple of the Okinawan diet also has a lot of of β-carotene.

For prevention of UV damage using dietary antioxidants, lycopene from tomatoes is the most effective carotenoid for physical quenching of UV generated singlet oxygen. The carotenoids compete for absorption, and absorption is much higher when coingested with some fats, so perhaps segregating tomato dishes and greens dishes (for eye-healthy lutein) in different meals makes sense, as would always including around 10% fats (by weight) in high carotenoid dishes.

Polyphenols, isothiocyanates, and other Nrf2 inducers appear to have most of their benefits in UV protection from induction of heme oxygenase 1, which converts heme to bilirubin. Bilirubin is only 1/10th as potent as lycopene as a singlet oxygen physical quencher, but bilirubin is present at much higher levels and also acts as the the negative feedback inhibitor of NADPH oxidase (the most important endogenous source of radicals). It would be very interesting to discover whether Gilbert syndrome (a benign congenital condition resulting in higher serum bilirubin), known to reduce atherosclerosis and cancer risk, also reduces skin wrinkling. There hasn't been a study on this.
  • Informative x 2

#40 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

Collagen supps are a waste of money.

Why would collagen supplements NOT be digested to their component amino acids in the gut like every other protein? And even if they made it through digestion, why would anyone expect them to be just magically absorbed into the skin matrix as opposed to having to be synthesized locally like other collagen in the skin?

Expecting collagen or systemic HA to give you better skin is like injecting actin and myosin and expecting that to give you big muscles. It makes no sense.
  • Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#41 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Perhaps. Gelatin is cheaper.

Why would collagen supplements NOT be digested to their component amino acids in the gut like every other protein? And even if they made it through digestion, why would anyone expect them to be just magically absorbed into the skin matrix as opposed to having to be synthesized locally like other collagen in the skin?

Expecting collagen or systemic HA to give you better skin is like injecting actin and myosin and expecting that to give you big muscles. It makes no sense.

There's studies that show that proteins are not necessarily digested into component amino acids, but often into small peptides.
And there's studies that show that oral collagen has benefits to skin, hair and nails.

http://www.humanclin...g/Collagen.html

https://www.jstage.j..._80649/_article

Edited by rwac, 30 December 2013 - 12:16 PM.

• like x 5
  • Agree x 1

#42 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

What about supposed source of HA in Okinawan sweet potato? In this video I took from another thread, a researcher of Okinawan diet mentions that the sweet potato somehow contributes to HA and that's the reason for their remarkably smooth skin (for their age). Take a look:

http://youtu.be/PefdHNnDuv4

It seems this casual remark spawned a rage on the Net suggesting that sweet potatoes of any kind, and some say even ordinary potato (raw!) will increase HA in the body. I made a feeble shot at pubmed but did not see anything re HA and sweet potatoes

Anyone can confirm or deny that eating sweet potatoes can increase HA?

This video is about a community in the mountains near Tokyo, not the sub-tropical island of Okinawa.

I could not tell from the video if their potatoes were purple like the sweet potatoes in Okinawa,
but I guess the color would have been mentioned since it appears quite different from most sweet potatoes.

Here is a USA company selling a purple sweet potato
http://www.stokesfoo...m/nutrition.htm

I can sometimes buy purple sweet potates from my local H-Mart store (a nationwide Korean grocery chain)
http://www.hmart.com...w/shop_main.asp

When I was working in Okinawa, I ran across a statue of Sokan Noguni who was credited in bringing the first sweet potato to Okinawa from China 400 years ago.
  • like x 1

#43 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think you make a valid point. Collagen is a triple helix and may be resistant to proteolytic degradation.

As collagen is primarily made up of glycines at every 3rd residue in order to establish a hydrophobic edge to stabilize the triple helix one could hypothesize that supplementing with oral or topical glycine could have some effect due to increased collagen precursor AA's. Perhaps the increase in precursor AA's from proteolytic digestion of collagen supplements allows for increased pool of AA's to form new collagen.

#44 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have found great results with Vitamin C serum applied in the morning before sunscreen and at night before applying Retin A.
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#45 BDon

• 90 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

So 10g of Hylauronic Acid has merit in anti-aging/youth of skin? Anyone experimented higher?

#46 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

I have found great results with Vitamin C serum applied in the morning before sunscreen and at night before applying Retin A.

Are you making your own Vit C serum? whats in it?

What is something redily available that I could mix with the Vit C?

I have owndoc Vit C powder and mix up enough for just a few days, not sure the percentage but I think it does something and makes my skin brighter. It makes me peel if I use it too often and im not sure the peeling is that good a thing so I take a few days break when this starts happening

#47 stponky

• 60 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

It's all about Tiron. Unfortunately, you can't buy it yet.

http://medicalxpress...ger-longer.html

"Tiron which has the chemical composition 4,5-Dihydroxy-1,3-benzenedisulfonic acid disodium salt monohydrate was revealed to provide 100% protection against mitochondrial DNA damage."

"Tiron offered 100% protection against UVA radiation and 100% protection against oxidative stress."

#48 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Tretinoin (topical) + oral vit C + 50 spf UV blocker + trying to keep fats in place so no saginess happen-then you would be good :D

"Tiron which has the chemical composition 4,5-Dihydroxy-1,3-benzenedisulfonic acid disodium salt monohydrate was revealed to provide 100% protection against mitochondrial DNA damage."

"Tiron offered 100% protection against UVA radiation and 100% protection against oxidative stress."

regular sun cream blocks uv 100% just take 50+ spf

#49 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

So 10g of Hylauronic Acid has merit in anti-aging/youth of skin? Anyone experimented higher?

The dose I use is 1-2g, surely not 10g.

#50 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Pycnogenol seems to be one of the better supported polyphenols for UV protection & other skin benefits:

http://www.lef.org/m...cnogenol_01.htm

Pycnogenol® can block UV light's damaging effects thereby preventing the inflammation and protein loss that ultimately leads to wrinkling.8-10

Posted Image

Figure 1: Oral doses of 75-125 mg of Pygnogenol® have been shown to shield the skin against sunburn with the higher dose offering 42%greater protection over the lower dose.9

In one study, researchers showed that Pycnogenol® supplementation (75 to125 mg/day) protected human volunteers from damaging sunburn after exposure to UV light.9 In other words, Pycnogenol® acts as an internal sun-screen, reducing your exposure to this major cause of wrinkles.

Pycnogenol® further prevents wrinkling by protecting vital skin proteins from degradation, while increasing their natural production.11-13 These proteins break down by UV-induced inflammatory processes caused by sun exposure. Healthy protein levels give youthful skin its supple, taut, elastic quality; their loss is a major contributor to wrinkling.

In animal studies, mice supplemented with a mixture containing Pycnogenol® had significantly fewer wrinkles after exposure to UV light.13 They also had reduced UV-induced skin thickening and toughening, problems that also age human skin.

In a key human study, 62 women ages 45-73 took part in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a similar Pycnogenol®-containing oral mixture. Skin elasticity improved by an impressive 9% after 6 weeks of treatment, compared to the placebo group.14 By 12 weeks of supplementation, skin roughness was also significantly reduced by 6%.14

Another study in 2012 showed that Pycnogenol® alone, at a dose of 75 mg/day, increased skin hydration by 8% after just 6 weeks; in women with dry skin at baseline the increase was21%.11 Skin elasticity increased, and skin fatigue decreased significantly in this study as well, further lowering the wrinkling risk.

I love pycnogenol - life just seems better when I'm taking it.

Edited by blood, 13 January 2014 - 12:58 AM.

• Agree x 1

#51 _alex_

• 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

Liquorice root is good against inflammatory skin conditions. I use it both as a supplement and in an lotion to treat my Rosacea, it has improved my skin appearance more then anything. Second best for me would be topically applied sulfur to treat Rosacea.

Edited by _alex_, 13 January 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#52 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Are you making your own Vit C serum? whats in it?

What is something redily available that I could mix with the Vit C?

I have owndoc Vit C powder and mix up enough for just a few days, not sure the percentage but I think it does something and makes my skin brighter. It makes me peel if I use it too often and im not sure the peeling is that good a thing so I take a few days break when this starts happening

Not making my own. I currently get this premade serum from Amazon. I am going to be moving away from strictly vitamin C based serums to ones that add Vitamin E and hyaluronic acid. I think Vitamin E would be a good addition to any serum to prevent the vitamin c from oxidizing too quickly. I always have at least 1/4 of every vitamin C serum still filled before I have to throw it away due to its color change to amber (oxidation).

I will probably move to eventually creating my own serum, but I don't know how much of a time sink it will be.

Edited by LucidMind, 13 January 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#53 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Looks like Mexoryl SX might have some competition.

#54 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,

Hi I just got some NOW brand 100mg HA, you said before that a minimum of 8 tablets were needed to see effects, I think you were talking about 50mg tabs? well I will start taking 500mg per day 5 tabs. Will see what happens.

There is some talk of HA helping tumors progress?

#55 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

Cheers,

Hi I just got some NOW brand 100mg HA, you said before that a minimum of 8 tablets were needed to see effects, I think you were talking about 50mg tabs? well I will start taking 500mg per day 5 tabs. Will see what happens.

Are you referring to this product?

http://www.nowfoods....eg-Capsules.htm

I once ran out of Jarrow and then tried an emergency NOW foods version at a local healthstore. I ended up taking all 60 caps within 24 hours, not noticing much. Also Swanson's version and 2 other brands whose names I forgot didn't do much for me either unfortunately. I wish Jarrow would come up with a more concentrated version as 50mg isn't adding up.

I ideally take between 500mg-2000mg of hya.

I don't know about any tumor growth stuff you are referring to, but I did read that hyaluronic acid (or a derivative) in naked mole rats was found to be THE reason they never get cancer.

#56 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Cheers,

Are you referring to this product?

http://www.nowfoods....eg-Capsules.htm

I once ran out of Jarrow and then tried an emergency NOW foods version at a local healthstore. I ended up taking all 60 caps within 24 hours, not noticing much. Also Swanson's version and 2 other brands whose names I forgot didn't do much for me either unfortunately. I wish Jarrow would come up with a more concentrated version as 50mg isn't adding up.

I ideally take between 500mg-2000mg of hya.

I don't know about any tumor growth stuff you are referring to, but I did read that hyaluronic acid (or a derivative) in naked mole rats was found to be THE reason they never get cancer.

Thanks for the reply,

60 Caps in 24 hours sounds like an amazing amount.

Will try next time at 500mg with the Jarrow and see if I can notice any or more results.

I also bought the Now Hyaluronic Acid Firming Serum-1 oz and Skin Eternal cream, will see what it all can do.

#57 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Cucumber working for me. I eat two big cucumbers a day must provide me plenty Silica :)

• like x 1

#58 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

Are you looking for "instant fixes", or supplements that might preserve a youthful appearance over the long term (e.g., various carotenoids and flavonoids which may protect from UV damage)?

More information about carotenoids and flavoniods that protect from UV damage?

#59 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Cheers,

I've heard about hyaluronic acid being used for joints, but I have read things that it may promote cancer.  Have you heard anything about this?  A few of the sources were just things people said, though.

#60 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

I take Hyaluronic acid with Collagen every day, and I doubt it had much to do with improving the appearance of skin.

Retin a on the other hand will take five years off in a about a month of consistent use, once you get past the initial two weeks of redness and peeling.

Wasn't there a reason not to take retin a, like it did something bad in the long play

• Disagree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users