* * * * * 6 votes

Supplements to keep skin looking young

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#151 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:24 AM

I've been using Retin-A since my late 30s and I am now 53 -- but you wouldn't know it, because that Retin-A really does work. I use it only a few nights a week now. I also use MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream -- a little on the expensive side, but I definitely see results in skin tone, skin tightening, overall good look to skin. I also use (don't laugh, this is a long list), Vit C & hyaluronic acid serum, B3 serum (esp. on backs of hands), a good moisturizer (Yonka Vital Defense), and I use masks every 2 weeks or so. I experiment with various products. I don't use any cleanser on my face beyond a makeup removal wipe, and don't wear makeup more than a couple of days a week. For skin supplements, I take biotin, collagen, and HA (but not totally consistent on the HA). No wrinkles on this face, lol.

Your results are very inspiring! 

How can you be so sure that MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream improved your skin tone beyond of what Retin A had already done?

Which masks do you use? Do you use a sunblock?) And what type of collagen and HA sups do you take?

And can you please share with us your routine. 

Thank you in advance!

I can definitely see a visible difference in overall skin tone and evenness when I use the MitoQ. Retin-A is great for wrinkles, but it's hard to find something that helps with pores. In fact, I'm not sure there's really anything that's great for pores other than keeping your skin clean, but my skin looks tighter with the MitoQ.

Retin-A is also very drying. I don't peel regularly from it now, but every so often, all of a sudden, I'll get a big peel, especially around my mouth and chin, maybe because the skin is thinner there. (I saw a reference to somebody who said they're using Retin-A twice a day -- I would recommend against that, first of all because light nullifies it, and also because if you're using prescription strength, it's powerful and you could probably do some damage.)

I love to experiment with products, so my routine changes pretty regularly, but in the morning after a shower, I use Yonka Toner (http://shop.yonkausa...-lotion-ps.html -- cheaper on Ebay!), then put on the MitoQ, a Vit C/HA serum (various brands), and the B3. If it's especially dry, I'll wait a bit and then put on the Yonka Vital Defense. If I'm heading out, I use a BB cream or foundation with SPF (like Miracle Cream transformer -- lots of them have sun screen).

I like the Vitacost Hyaluronic Acid. It's funny, I ran out a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I can see a difference in skin "plumpness," so I reordered today. I use Neocell Collagen C https://www.amazon.c...s=collagen&th=1 -- I understand it's best taken on an empty stomach. 

Night routine is similar, except every other day or so, I use the Retin-A.

I love Glamglow Youthmud (http://www.sephora.c...ts grid:p375741) for a mask, but it's too expensive for me to use regularly -- it's a treat!

My problem area is my neck. It's really hard to find something that will take off those "necklace lines." If you have any products you love, please share! I'm always looking for the next miracle! :)

Truthinaging.com is a great site, by the way, and if you're interested in fillers (which I would like to try someday, money willing), realself.com is fun to peruse.

Thank you for such a quick and thorough reply!

Neck is my problem area as well. I use Retin A, Vit C and Obagi Exfoderm on it, but my neck gets irritated pretty quick. I don't know what else can help me to get rid of those stubborn neck lines.

I am trying to use Furlesse Reducing Patches on those lines, but again it is a temporary effect  (http://www.essential...-li-p_15303.htm)

This lovely lady uses Retinol + Matrixyl Synthe 6 on her neck and she claims this combo has been very effective for her (https://youtu.be/gpyHUZMMC2Y)

#152 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:43 AM

I've been using Retin-A since my late 30s and I am now 53 -- but you wouldn't know it, because that Retin-A really does work. I use it only a few nights a week now. I also use MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream -- a little on the expensive side, but I definitely see results in skin tone, skin tightening, overall good look to skin. I also use (don't laugh, this is a long list), Vit C & hyaluronic acid serum, B3 serum (esp. on backs of hands), a good moisturizer (Yonka Vital Defense), and I use masks every 2 weeks or so. I experiment with various products. I don't use any cleanser on my face beyond a makeup removal wipe, and don't wear makeup more than a couple of days a week. For skin supplements, I take biotin, collagen, and HA (but not totally consistent on the HA). No wrinkles on this face, lol.

How can you be so sure that MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream improved your skin tone beyond of what Retin A had already done?

Which masks do you use? Do you use a sunblock?) And what type of collagen and HA sups do you take?

Thank you in advance!

I can definitely see a visible difference in overall skin tone and evenness when I use the MitoQ. Retin-A is great for wrinkles, but it's hard to find something that helps with pores. In fact, I'm not sure there's really anything that's great for pores other than keeping your skin clean, but my skin looks tighter with the MitoQ.

Retin-A is also very drying. I don't peel regularly from it now, but every so often, all of a sudden, I'll get a big peel, especially around my mouth and chin, maybe because the skin is thinner there. (I saw a reference to somebody who said they're using Retin-A twice a day -- I would recommend against that, first of all because light nullifies it, and also because if you're using prescription strength, it's powerful and you could probably do some damage.)

I love to experiment with products, so my routine changes pretty regularly, but in the morning after a shower, I use Yonka Toner (http://shop.yonkausa...-lotion-ps.html -- cheaper on Ebay!), then put on the MitoQ, a Vit C/HA serum (various brands), and the B3. If it's especially dry, I'll wait a bit and then put on the Yonka Vital Defense. If I'm heading out, I use a BB cream or foundation with SPF (like Miracle Cream transformer -- lots of them have sun screen).

I like the Vitacost Hyaluronic Acid. It's funny, I ran out a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I can see a difference in skin "plumpness," so I reordered today. I use Neocell Collagen C https://www.amazon.c...s=collagen&th=1 -- I understand it's best taken on an empty stomach. 

I love Glamglow Youthmud (http://www.sephora.c...ts grid:p375741) for a mask, but it's too expensive for me to use regularly -- it's a treat!

My problem area is my neck. It's really hard to find something that will take off those "necklace lines." If you have any products you love, please share! I'm always looking for the next miracle! :)

Truthinaging.com is a great site, by the way, and if you're interested in fillers (which I would like to try someday, money willing), realself.com is fun to peruse.

Neck is my problem area as well. I use Retin A, Vit C and Obagi Exfoderm on it, but my neck gets irritated pretty quick. I don't know what else can help me to get rid of those stubborn neck lines.

I am trying to use Furlesse Reducing Patches on those lines, but again it is a temporary effect  (http://www.essential...-li-p_15303.htm)

This lovely lady uses Retinol + Matrixyl Synthe 6 on her neck and she claims this combo has been very effective for her (https://youtu.be/gpyHUZMMC2Y)

Oo, I'll definitely check out that video, thanks! I put the Retin-A on my neck as well, so it probably could be worse, but of course when you're gazing down upon a keyboard all day for work, you're crinkling your neck and setting in those wrinkles. Hands are tough too -- I put Retin-A on the backs of my hands, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. 

I also take some purportedly anti-aging supplements, like Basis, resveratrol, and PQQ. I guess I won't really know if they're doing any good for a while yet, lol -- hopefully I'll last at least another 30-40 years. I feel good, so that's something! :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 YOLF

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

Thank you in advance!

Women love this Retin A stuff, but if in the long term it leaves you with sun sensitivities, won't that make you less attractive? More sensitivity to UV light means skin that ages faster due to DNA damage. If it's not being combined with anthocyanins for DNA repair and perhaps a few other supplements which I rarely see mentioned or included in products, then you're only going to get short term benefits. I've seen expensive beauty creams do that... make me look much younger for one night, and then make my skin age faster afterwards... This stuff is dangerous in my opinion and may be destroying attractive women. I have to disagree with its use. I want women to stay beautiful forever when they try. Actually, sunscreen probably works better as it prevents the ROS that Retin A is just mopping up. I also got my car windows tinted and took some other preventative measures and my skin looks more youthful in many respects than that of younger women who use skincare products post damage. Though I can't say I look like I'm in my early twenties anymore... 

As a man, my view of Retin A products is that they cause those brown age spots, be it moles or larger lighter brown age spots and for me they've been difficult to remove. As a man, I have to thumb down the Retin A products. Beat me down with all the negative ratings your want. I'm speaking my mind. But if you're going to use them, live underground and use skin bleach, and save up for bionic eyes. By the way, glutathione modulating skin bleach will inhibit dopamine synthesis and make you less intelligent, or just make you work harder at life... be careful ladies, it's my opinion that marketing mind polluted alot of women when they were young into believing that Retin A would keep their skin young and it worked in the short term, so many believed it and continue to believe it, but the truth is that these were probably women who were already very attractive, so they still look more attractive than most of their peers despite some of the damage they've done simply for having better genetics and a better diet.

Also, having used it as a young teenager and then trying it again years later as an adult, I saw more rapid aging in my face after application and have to wonder if using it in the first place is part of the reason I'm always so concerned with my skin.

*braces for the impact of 1000 negative ratings*

#154 YOLF

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:29 AM

Thank you in advance!

DMAE is good for tightening skin, also good for a variety of other rejuvenation metrics. You can also use centrophenoxine. Taking it orally will do the trick... at least as measured on the face.

#155 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Thank you in advance!

Women love this Retin A stuff, but if in the long term it leaves you with sun sensitivities, won't that make you less attractive? More sensitivity to UV light means skin that ages faster due to DNA damage. If it's not being combined with anthocyanins for DNA repair and perhaps a few other supplements which I rarely see mentioned or included in products, then you're only going to get short term benefits. I've seen expensive beauty creams do that... make me look much younger for one night, and then make my skin age faster afterwards... This stuff is dangerous in my opinion and may be destroying attractive women. I have to disagree with its use. I want women to stay beautiful forever when they try. Actually, sunscreen probably works better as it prevents the ROS that Retin A is just mopping up. I also got my car windows tinted and took some other preventative measures and my skin looks more youthful in many respects than that of younger women who use skincare products post damage. Though I can't say I look like I'm in my early twenties anymore... 

As a man, my view of Retin A products is that they cause those brown age spots, be it moles or larger lighter brown age spots and for me they've been difficult to remove. As a man, I have to thumb down the Retin A products. Beat me down with all the negative ratings your want. I'm speaking my mind. But if you're going to use them, live underground and use skin bleach, and save up for bionic eyes. By the way, glutathione modulating skin bleach will inhibit dopamine synthesis and make you less intelligent, or just make you work harder at life... be careful ladies, it's my opinion that marketing mind polluted alot of women when they were young into believing that Retin A would keep their skin young and it worked in the short term, so many believed it and continue to believe it, but the truth is that these were probably women who were already very attractive, so they still look more attractive than most of their peers despite some of the damage they've done simply for having better genetics and a better diet.

Also, having used it as a young teenager and then trying it again years later as an adult, I saw more rapid aging in my face after application and have to wonder if using it in the first place is part of the reason I'm always so concerned with my skin.

*braces for the impact of 1000 negative ratings*

I think, as with any product, Retin-A may affect different people differently. You're not the only one with that complaint. That hasn't reflected my experience, and I've been using it for over a decade, but that doesn't mean that drying and apparently more rapid aging doesn't happen, of course. Here's a good discussion about it at RealSelf: https://www.realself...osed-help-aging

It could be lack of moisturizer, or maybe your skin just doesn't like the Retin-A. It is strong. I use .1%, and one night, my husband put some on a zit, and it just about burned his skin off. No medication works 100% for everyone. I would just say keep trying different products and see what works for you! :)

• Agree x 1

#156 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

DMAE is good for tightening skin, also good for a variety of other rejuvenation metrics. You can also use centrophenoxine. Taking it orally will do the trick... at least as measured on the face.

I used DMAE, it did nothing for my skin. Can you recommend a brand of the topicals you mentioned and also the oral supplement? Thanks.

P.S.: using 1/4 of tsp of a very good sunblock (e.g., Bioderma SPF50 UVA 38 + EltaMD physical on top) will make skin less sensitive to UV Light when using Retin A. Also hats, glasses and scarf work well. 

#157 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

I used DMAE, it did nothing for my skin. Can you recommend a brand of the topicals you mentioned and also the oral supplement? Thanks.

P.S.: using 1/4 of tsp of a very good sunblock (e.g., Bioderma SPF50 UVA 38 + EltaMD physical on top) will make skin less sensitive to UV Light when using Retin A. Also hats, glasses and scarf work well. 

Centrophenoxine seems to be a nootropic? Is that right? Just looking at the Amazon description. I already take huperzine and vinpocetine. I guess I'll have to explore it in the noo forums here. That's a new one to me. 

#158 YOLF

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

Any reliable brand of oral DMAE or Centro will work. I can't say I've found an ideal product for topical use, most of that stuff irritates my skin, so it's rare that I try.

#159 YOLF

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

Centrophenoxine seems to be a nootropic? Is that right? Just looking at the Amazon description. I already take huperzine and vinpocetine. I guess I'll have to explore it in the noo forums here. That's a new one to me. 

Centro and DMAE are closely related, the better they're working, the worse the headache will be if you get them :) So I'll add that small increments to adjust the dose appropriately to your pain threshold is important. The headaches will subside with time (a week or two) and that's when you'll notice the cognitive enhancement. Vinpocetine's headaches might be caused by a similar phenomenon. 

Did you get headaches from Vinpocetine?

#160 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

Centro and DMAE are closely related, the better they're working, the worse the headache will be if you get them  :) So I'll add that small increments to adjust the dose appropriately to your pain threshold is important. The headaches will subside with time (a week or two) and that's when you'll notice the cognitive enhancement. Vinpocetine's headaches might be caused by a similar phenomenon. 

Did you get headaches from Vinpocetine?

No, I've never gotten headaches from vinpocetine. They only supplement that I ever felt a really strong effect from was DHEA, and I stopped taking that. I'm really curious about the centro. Maybe I could replace the huperzine/vinpocetine with that. Preventing dementia is definitely my #1 health goal. The pursuit of nice skin is a hobby, but anything that can help preserve my cognitive abilities is something I would take seriously and with great interest. Thanks for mentioning the centro -- it's new to me. (I had to just hit reply instead of quote, so I hope this still works.)

Edited by Gayle63, 22 February 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#161 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Gayle63,  do you use RETIN A on top of TONER, MITOQ, VIT C and B3 in the evening? 

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 04 March 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#162 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

Hi! I put on the Retin-A first, then wait a few minutes, and put on the B-3 and MitoQ. The toner I use only in the morning after I get out of the shower. I don't use the Retin-A every night -- every other night is plenty, as I use .1% and it's strong. 

#163 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

MitoQ reps recommend using MitoQ serums on clear skin the first thing in your skincare routine. I will follow your routine and see what happens! Thanks)

#164 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this forum, but decided to make an account to get in on this conversation. I just bought Jarrow Formula's HA and plan to take 20 caps a day to see if I will see the same results as the two other users who did the same.

I admit that I'm a bit nervous to take 20 caps at once... you can't overdose on HA, right? :laugh: :laugh:

This stuff isn't cheap, I paid $18 for 120, so at 20 caps a day, that's only 6 days worth... perhaps I should try 10-15 instead?

I will report back and keep you updated. For reference, I'm a 30 year old woman, never smoked, never drink, and my skin tends to be a dry/normal combo (leaning on dry more often than not). I have eczema and KP on my arms and legs, and have horrible joint pain from my job + past injuries as a teenager. I'm very interested in finding out what this little experiment will do for me.

Edited by Soffia, 06 March 2017 - 05:11 AM.

#165 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this forum, but decided to make an account to get in on this conversation. I just bought Jarrow Formula's HA and plan to take 20 caps a day to see if I will see the same results as the two other users who did the same.

I admit that I'm a bit nervous to take 20 caps at once... you can't overdose on HA, right? :laugh: :laugh:

This stuff isn't cheap, I paid $18 for 120, so at 20 caps a day, that's only 6 days worth... perhaps I should try 10-15 instead?

I will report back and keep you updated. For reference, I'm a 30 year old woman, never smoked, never drink, and my skin tends to be a dry/normal combo (leaning on dry more often than not). I have eczema and KP on my arms and legs, and have horrible joint pain from my job + past injuries as a teenager. I'm very interested in finding out what this little experiment will do for me.

Good luck, and please do let us know what happens! I don't take 20 pills a day myself (well, not 20 pills of just HA), but I'm curious if it will help your eczema and joint pain. You could also try some collagen (on an empty stomach). I hope it helps!

• like x 1

#166 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

PEA will likely be more useful for both joint pain and eczema.

...and it is not certain one can't overdose with HA (yet).

#167 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Good luck, and please do let us know what happens! I don't take 20 pills a day myself (well, not 20 pills of just HA), but I'm curious if it will help your eczema and joint pain. You could also try some collagen (on an empty stomach). I hope it helps!

I will keep you updated! The HA should be here either Wednesday or Thursday :)

#168 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

I was really hoping my HA would be here tomorrow, but according to the tracker, it won't be here until Thursday afternoon, which means I won't be able to take 20 on an empty stomach until Friday. A little bummed out I can't start it sooner, but maybe it's better to start it over the weekend, that way if something goes wrong, it won't affect my job performance.

With this experiment, my expectations aren't high, but I still plan on trying to do it right. I won't be doing anything new while on it, and I won't be taking anything else while trying it. I'm currently not on any supplements (and haven't been for months),  and I haven't been using any of my skincare products for about two weeks, so if anything changes while on HA, it should be more than easy enough to tell. The only thing I am going to continue to take is my prescribed medication, 10MG Adderall, the same dose I have been taking for 5 years.  I would stop taking it while on this experiment, but the withdrawal affects would be too much for me... plus, my unmediated ADHD is a nightmare! I would probably forget to take pictures or take the HA on time if I stopped taking my medication :laugh:

I'm not a science-y person, but I have a plan when it comes to taking photos documenting this experiment. I personally hate how bad most people are at taking before & after photos; often, they use different poses, different angles, different lighting, and different photo distance, so they are often useless or very hard to tell if any change has occurred. I plan on doing two things to help combat these potential problems:

1. I will take these photos at the same time during the day, to ensure equal lighting every time. If this isn't doable (due to a cloudy or stormy day), then I will go in my closet and make sure no sunlight gets in, and will rely only on the artificial closet light, that way the lighting will be the same every time I take a photo. I hope I can stick with daylight, as it looks better and picks up more details than my closet light.

2. I will make a temporary mark on the floor and wall, that way, every day I will know where to stand and where to hold my camera every time I take a new photo. This will help ensure the poses, angle, and photo distance are more or less the same each take.

Again, I'm not a science-y person, so if anyone has anymore tips or advice for measuring this experiment, I would love to hear it!

• like x 2

#169 YOLF

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

I was really hoping my HA would be here tomorrow, but according to the tracker, it won't be here until Thursday afternoon, which means I won't be able to take 20 on an empty stomach until Friday. A little bummed out I can't start it sooner, but maybe it's better to start it over the weekend, that way if something goes wrong, it won't affect my job performance.

With this experiment, my expectations aren't high, but I still plan on trying to do it right. I won't be doing anything new while on it, and I won't be taking anything else while trying it. I'm currently not on any supplements (and haven't been for months),  and I haven't been using any of my skincare products for about two weeks, so if anything changes while on HA, it should be more than easy enough to tell. The only thing I am going to continue to take is my prescribed medication, 10MG Adderall, the same dose I have been taking for 5 years.  I would stop taking it while on this experiment, but the withdrawal affects would be too much for me... plus, my unmediated ADHD is a nightmare! I would probably forget to take pictures or take the HA on time if I stopped taking my medication :laugh:

I'm not a science-y person, but I have a plan when it comes to taking photos documenting this experiment. I personally hate how bad most people are at taking before & after photos; often, they use different poses, different angles, different lighting, and different photo distance, so they are often useless or very hard to tell if any change has occurred. I plan on doing two things to help combat these potential problems:

1. I will take these photos at the same time during the day, to ensure equal lighting every time. If this isn't doable (due to a cloudy or stormy day), then I will go in my closet and make sure no sunlight gets in, and will rely only on the artificial closet light, that way the lighting will be the same every time I take a photo. I hope I can stick with daylight, as it looks better and picks up more details than my closet light.

2. I will make a temporary mark on the floor and wall, that way, every day I will know where to stand and where to hold my camera every time I take a new photo. This will help ensure the poses, angle, and photo distance are more or less the same each take.

Again, I'm not a science-y person, so if anyone has anymore tips or advice for measuring this experiment, I would love to hear it!

I think you would need to stop taking everything for at least a week to be sure of the results you're giving us. If you were to stop drinking coffee, it could make you look younger, many things will give your look a little variability. Otherwise, you should take it along with everything else you take to make sure something isn't making you look older. It would suck to keep thinking the HA was making you younger if it wasn't at that price just cuz the experiment wasn't done properly. Actually, I think you shouldn't do it unless you try it without making any changes or without stopping everything for a week.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#170 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

You can cut the HA dose ( and spread your $$$) by using hyaluronidase inhibitors so the HA can stay and act longer.

Personally, I take 500-1000mg Quercetin concurrently with HA to achieve that (among other goals with Q intake).

You can read this post for more info.

Good luck and do report whatever your results are.

• like x 3

#171 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Yolf, I agree with you :) That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

I'm going to keep my diet, exercise, water intake, and medication the same.  I haven't changed my diet or exercise routine in a long time, and I stopped taking supplements months ago, partly due to trying to save money. The main reason, however, is because I started to become unsure of what supplements I truly need, so I decided to just stop taking them all together and do some more research before starting over again. I doubt HA (especially at 20 caps a day!!) will become a part of my new supplement routine in the future, but I figure this is the best time to try an experiment out since I've been off of everything for months.

My skincare routine has been nothing but warm water for about two weeks, and that's because of being really busy and low on funds. Before stopping, I wasn't using any actives or anything, just a daily moisturizer and sun screen whenever I went out.  My skin has returned to its typical dry self that it always is whenever I go more than a few days without moisturizer, so, at two+ weeks I can confidently say that my skin is at a state where I will know if the HA is causing any changes (be it good or bad).

Edited by Soffia, 08 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#172 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

You can cut the HA dose ( and spread your $$$) by using hyaluronidase inhibitors so the HA can stay and act longer.

Personally, I take 500-1000mg Quercetin concurrently with HA to achieve that (among other goals with Q intake).

You can read this post for more info.

Good luck and do report whatever your results are.

Thank you, I remember reading that post!  If this experiment works then I would certainly consider the supplements in you suggested. Fingers crossed!

• like x 1

#173 YOLF

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yolf, I agree with you :) That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

I'm going to keep my diet, exercise, water intake, and medication the same.  I haven't changed my diet or exercise routine in a long time, and I stopped taking supplements months ago, partly due to trying to save money. The main reason, however, is because I started to become unsure of what supplements I truly need, so I decided to just stop taking them all together and do some more research before starting over again. I doubt HA (especially at 20 caps a day!!) will become a part of my new supplement routine in the future, but I figure this is the best time to try an experiment out since I've been off of everything for months.

My skincare routine has been nothing but warm water for about two weeks, and that's because of being really busy and low on funds. Before stopping, I wasn't using any actives or anything, just a daily moisturizer and sun screen whenever I went out.  My skin has returned to its typical dry self that it always is whenever I go more than a few days without moisturizer, so, at two+ weeks I can confidently say that my skin is at a state where I will know if the HA is causing any changes (be it good or bad).

Great to hear, thanks so much!

• like x 1

#174 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Not what you'll like to read but after a few years of HA use my take is....

Even at 20 caps/day (which is about 5 times the higher recommended dosage) it is just 20% of what you naturally replace everyday anyway, which is unlikely to make a great deal of a difference.

Overdosing HA might not come free of concerns...therefore likely the risk/benefit/price isn't worth or at least not the smartest choice available for your scope.

If one is really so keen about checking what is going to happen buying bulk powder HA will result at least in much, much cheaper experience.

Even a non science-y person should at least provide oneself some basic knowledge before embarking in experiments, an easy start point which is far from exhaustive but enough to not be totally ignorant about the matter would be consulting Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia...Hyaluronic_acid

In my opinion HA is a great base for topical homemade gels, the hydrating proprieties are well established, it turns any water soluble compound into a nice gel very easy and pleasurable to use, it has a vehicling action (at least at some molecular weight) and the tiny amount required makes it EXTREMELY cheap (500mg are enough for 30g gel which should last about one month with everyday use).

Itself is not going to take years off your face overnight but, again, it is cheap and a pleasure to work with, therefore certainly worth attention.

Hyaluronidase, which is the enzyme responsible for HA degradation, is going to destroy it in no time and efficient hyaluronidase inhibitors are something not really available yet, leaving alone if it is what we really want for the kind of purpose discussed (for example one of the theory behind a supposedly HA mechanism of efficacy is that exogenous HA triggers aggressive hyaluronidase activity which in turn boosts endogenous HA production).

I would not relay too much on hyaluronidase inhibitors efficacy or their usefulness.

It is appreciable your effort in taking before/after pictures of yourself in the best way possible with what you have...(I could pay to watch you crawling in the closet in order to take light uncontaminated pictures :) ) but in despite of all the care taken one good night sleep versus a bad one (or menses time, for that matter) will likely make far more difference about your look than a bunch of caps or light degree of "contamination".

That said I wish you good luck with you experiment, of course...:)

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#175 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

..my take is....

What are your top 5 skincare-focused supplementary interventions?

Thanks!

• Good Point x 1

#176 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

..my take is....

What are your top 5 skincare-focused supplementary interventions?

Thanks!

My supplement regimen is geared toward anti-aging, so I'm hoping some of that includes skin benefits. However, HA and collagen are two that I take that should be good for skin, and L-Carnosine is supposed to be effective, and I take that as well. Melatonin is also supposed to be beneficial for skin, but I'm not really dedicated to it and take it only spordically. I tried ceramides for a while and was not impressed. I'm open to suggestions! :)

• Informative x 1

#177 YOLF

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hyaluronidase, which is the enzyme responsible for HA degradation, is going to destroy it in no time and efficient hyaluronidase inhibitors are something not really available yet, leaving alone if it is what we really want for the kind of purpose discussed (for example one of the theory behind a supposedly HA mechanism of efficacy is that exogenous HA triggers aggressive hyaluronidase activity which in turn boosts endogenous HA production).

I would not relay too much on hyaluronidase inhibitors efficacy or their usefulness.

It is appreciable your effort in taking before/after pictures of yourself in the best way possible with what you have...(I could pay to watch you crawling in the closet in order to take light uncontaminated pictures :) ) but in despite of all the care taken one good night sleep versus a bad one (or menses time, for that matter) will likely make far more difference about your look than a bunch of caps or light degree of "contamination".

That said I wish you good luck with you experiment, of course... :)

I think I might agree with the hyaluronidase theory you posited to some degree... if hyaluronidase can pass into the gut, get stopped at the liver, or whatever else, it could just be eating up the supply of endogenous hyaluronidase. It is a giant molecule regardless of which molecular weight is being used, but it can also help itself through? I guess I'd need to read up on it again with that in mind.

As for the pictures, there are actually very good implements that could make it easy to get great photos that are consistent and it's not all that expensive that would be better than using a closet. If anyone's interested in chipping in for such a thing, I'd need to raise ~$80 for it immediately, otherwise it would take about 30 days to get it with a micro grant. If you do make a donation for it, be sure to put "Skincare Photos" in the notes part and notify myself or Mind.

#178 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

That said I wish you good luck with you experiment, of course... :)

Aconita, you are such a vivid critic of MANY anti-aging approaches, yet, you do not offer effective alternatives! I would love to know what works for you in terms of supplements and skincare! I mean really works ;)

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#179 Soffia

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

I received my bottle of HA a few hours ago. I was going to wait until tomorrow to start this experiment, but I'm impatient. I just took 10 pills on a full stomach, about 5 minutes ago. I figure starting with 10 is probably a good idea, cause if I end up having a bad reaction to HA supplements, I'd rather find out about it on 10 pills instead of 20.

I'll 'officially' start the experiment tomorrow morning :) I will also create a separate thread so I won't spam up this thread.

Edited by Soffia, 09 March 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#180 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

you do not offer effective alternatives!

Really ?

Eventually you didn't read most of my posts or treads...or maybe is just your memory...

Anyway...

This is a forum titled "Ageless Look" and we are on a tread titled "Supplements to keep skin looking young", lets keep on topic, anti-ageing is a much broader definition involving much more complex mechanisms.

Here we are concerned about how to preserve or obtain a young or younger appearance, specifically skin appearance and more specifically face skin appearance.

There are no oral "supplements" which are able to make one look dramatically younger, at least not for an healthy individual with a decent lifestyle and nutritional habits and there are no topical "supplements" able to reverse an aged look either.

If that wouldn't be the case plastic surgeons wouldn't  make six figures yearly and almost everybody would look as in its twenties forever.

Not what you like to read?

I am sorry but that is how reality looks like to be, if you can prove me wrong I'll be the first to be very, very happy about it!

In specific cases, and I mean SPECIFIC, some topical or oral supplement may help to some degree but that is extremely subjective, unreliable and likely unpredictable, usually it works because there is not a NORMAL situation but some unbalance, pathology or deficit which isn't representative of a normal healthy individual.

Lifestyle plays a greater role by far in healthy individuals.

In some cases, like with retin A, some individual may find a compound to be effective to a certain degree but usually it isn't a "supplement" but a prescription drug, like with retin A, and it is a prescription drug because the use or misuse of it can lead to SERIOUS side effects.

About retin A, just to make it clear once for all (hopefully), just the serious side effects reported in this site range from subcutaneous fat loss to chronic dermatitis, without mentioning deeper level and still unexplained side effects which are quite worrying at least.

Is retin A recommendable for an ageless look?

No, it isn't because it can cause more harm than good and it is totally unpredictable which way it would be, some side effects are irreversible, for some may be totally ineffective in wrinkle or dark spots erasing but still unpleasant to use (dryness, redness and scaling) and side effects prone.

Well...but for someone it seems to work...

Indeed it does but it is still quite uncomfortable, unpleasant lifestyle restrictions need to be carefully applied (no sun or even just natural light exposition without total sun blocking protection), use has to be carried on for prolonged periods of time if not forever in order to kind of keep the results from vanishing, mechanism of action unknown, systemic absorption unresearched properly and dismissed as "little", which means nothing since effects of great magnitude can be caused by "little" amounts too, especially with prolonged exposure.

But what is more relevant is that there are cheaper, safer, faster acting, way more effective (and on and on) alternatives!

There are other effective compounds too which are not drugs nor supplements, those are "research compounds", things like C60oo or MK677 to name a couple....

Are those effective?

Yes, some are very much so!

Recommendable?

Some maybe, others better not to... leaving the choice of being an experiment rat to the braveness (or foolishness) of the individual.

So, in the end what is really worth?

Maybe a topical liposomal ALA gel, maybe a tiny bit of copper salicylate, maybe HA too as previously explained (even if considered by someone pointless and timewasting...), maybe turmeric masks some now and then....there are quite a few things that might help, unlikely leading to dramatic results but possibly helping a bit.

It much depends, I have been very successful in erasing or ameliorating flat or slightly hypertrophic scars with some topical compounds but those unlikely would work nearly as well or at all for ice pick scars, for example.

The most dramatic effects on wrinkles, enlarged pores, dark spots and texture, relatively easy to perform at home, fast acting, certainly cheap and, with the adequate knowledge, relatively safe intervention is not with a supplement but by a procedure: the chemical peeling.

Needling is an interesting one too worth considering.

Other procedures tends to be not really or easily feasible in a home setting as a do yourself thing.

One TCA peeling can take 10 or more years of wrinkles and a lifetime of dark spots away overnight, well one has to wait likely about a couple of weeks or slightly more to fully heal...depending from strength of peeling (depth), skin response to healing and aftercare.

You show me a supplement, both oral or topical, able to do that and I am here to listen.

MK677 is nice too,... at another level,...but it needs to be considered carefully in its wholeness.

Wrinkles, dark spots, enlarged pores, scars, general texture...all those are kind of fixable, at least greatly improvable...but what really makes one look the age is sagging and that is an hard one to beat without yearly crosslinked HA injections or surgeons' scalpel, that's the real deal...

You can't see the wrinkles or the dark spots from a distance but nevertheless able to tell how old a person is...

The facial traits don't lie and all the creams of the world are plain ineffective in remodeling or preserve them, eventually, again, lifestyle is likely the most effective treatment available with hormones or secretagogues coming seconds...and surgeons.   

At least that is what looks like to be...at the time being. :)

• Needs references x 2
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users