LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

The most essential nootropic for daily use

nootropics supplements brain enhancement

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: The most essential nootropic for daily use (74 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the most essential nootropic for you with daily dosing?

1. Piracetam (11 votes [14.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

2. Aniracetam (3 votes [4.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

3. Oxiracetam (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Pramiracetam (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Phenylpiracetam (1 votes [1.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

6. Coluracetam (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Noopept (6 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

8. Caffeine (17 votes [22.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

9. Histaminergics (e.g. Modafinil) (1 votes [1.35%] - View)

10. GABAergics (e.g. Phenibut) (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Vasodilators (e.g. Vinpocetine) (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Serotonergic antidepressants (various SSRIs) (1 votes [1.35%] - View)

13. Monoaminergic stimulants (e.g. Ritalin, Amphetamines) (3 votes [4.05%] - View)

14. NMDAR antagonists (e.g Ketamine, Memantine) (1 votes [1.35%] - View)

15. AChEIs (e.g. Huperzine A, Galantamine) (0 votes [0.00%])

16. MAO-B inhibitors (e.g. Selegiline) (3 votes [4.05%] - View)

17. Various choline sources (e.g. Alpha-GPC) (4 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

18. Potent ampakines (e.g. Sunifiram, IDRA-21) (1 votes [1.35%] - View)

19. Vitamins, synthetic vitamin derivatives (e.g. Sulbutiamine) (7 votes [9.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

20. Other (15 votes [20.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 knockout_mice

• 51 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm wondering what would be the most effective nootropic with daily dosing.
Please only vote on this poll if you tried at least ten nootropic substances (almost) daily for a long period of time (min. 1-2 months).
In comments please provide a detailed report about your most essential nootropic:
  • Name
  • Positives / Negatives
  • Tolerance issues
  • Dose / time of dosing
  • For how long did you use it?
  • Good / bad combinations
  • Other noots you tried / usual dosage
Please don't include non-substance nootropics like exercise, meditation, diet, sleep, love, etc.
Thank you in advance!

Edited by mice, 15 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#2 noktop

• 25 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Racetam + gpc if I had to pick.

My actual answer is much less helpful. The best noot varies by individual brain chemistry. Additionally, if you're not living a healthy lifestyle; diet, sleep, exercise, the noots won't help that much.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 knockout_mice

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

My actual answer is much less helpful. The best noot varies by individual brain chemistry. Additionally, if you're not living a healthy lifestyle; diet, sleep, exercise, the noots won't help that much.

Well, you really missed the point of the thread. Without a detailed answer your input isn't worth anything. You may say that your most essential nootropic is "Racetam + gpc" (which is not even one substance), but if you haven't tried anything else, it's of course your favorite...

#4 synaptiq

• 45 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I chose the "vitamins" option because nothing else is as effective without a few key items as the foundation of my stack:

Morning:
- Vitamin D 5000IU
- Chelated magnesium 200mg
- Methylfolate 800mcg (homozygous A1298C MTHFR mutation)
- Methylcobalamin 2000mcg (wouldn't go this high if I weren't on a PPI)

Evening:
- Chelated magnesium 200mg
- Fish oil 6g — 900mg EPA, 600mg DHA
- Melatonin 1mg

#5 knockout_mice

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Synaptiq, can you provide a list of the other nootropics you tried with dosages? I'd like do an analysis based on Longecity users' subjective choices. What benefits do you get from these "vitamins"? Which one is the most essential?

#6 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

Can we get CILTEP added to that list :)?

Edited by abelard lindsay, 16 December 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#7 knockout_mice

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Can we get CILTEP added to that list :)?

I already used all of the available choices. Check the "other" option and please explain why is that better than the other nootropics you tried! (subjectively of course)

#8 Focused_Mindz

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

If where talking strictly ''Essential''

I would say A High Quality B-Complex, such as B-Right by Jarrow Formulas.
Which contains :
Methyl folate
Methylcobalamin
Pantethine
Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate
Choline
And the rest of the B-Vitamins

Make sure the B-Vitamins are the best forms, such as Methyl-Folate / Quatrefolic instead of Folic Acid.
Maybe a Omega 3 fish oil is just as Essential.. Uridine Combined With Fish Oil has good benefits also.

Its a hard question..
But, B-Vitamins are essential to our overall Nerve & Brain health, so without them it would be Useless supplementing Noopept or Racetams.
Racetams are not essential..

I agree with Synaptiq.

Edited by Focused_Mindz, 16 December 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#9 Bateau

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Too bad that there isn't any of the traditional nootropics listed, i.e. the medhya rasayana from Ayurveda. Certain herbs like Bacopa monnieri, Withania somnifera, and Centella asiatica have a good amount of human data confirming their place as pleiotropic nootropics, anxiolytics and overall health promoting agents. Not to mention the dozen or so other Ayurvedic extracts and herbs that are just starting to get some research behind them (e.g. Shilajit, any of the 4 varieties of Shankhpushpi, Celastrus etc.). Really an under appreciated class of nootropics.

#10 Focused_Mindz

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Too bad that there isn't any of the traditional nootropics listed, i.e. the medhya rasayana from Ayurveda. Certain herbs like Bacopa monnieri, Withania somnifera, and Centella asiatica have a good amount of human data confirming their place as pleiotropic nootropics, anxiolytics and overall health promoting agents. Not to mention the dozen or so other Ayurvedic extracts and herbs that are just starting to get some research behind them (e.g. Shilajit, any of the 4 varieties of Shankhpushpi, Celastrus etc.). Really an under appreciated class of nootropics.

Ashwaghanda is definitely anxiolytic, from experience. I took an Ashwagandha Extract called Sensoril and felt an anxiolytic
effect within 45 mins.

I've tried Bacopa Monnieri once, with no success or any noticeable changes in my cognition.
However, i may give Bacopa another test.

I am yet to try Shankhpushpi or Celastrus..

Edited by Focused_Mindz, 16 December 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#11 Bateau

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've tried Bacopa Monnieri once, with no success or any noticeable changes in my cognition.

It's known that continuous use of Bacopa for ~4 weeks is necessary for the nootropic effects. I would be very surprised if anyone claimed to feel the nootropic effects of bacopa after a single dose. Aside from that, its the single most proven nootropic in humans (6 human studies confirming efficacy, more than any other existing nootropic).

Edited by Bateau, 16 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#12 Focused_Mindz

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

It's known that continuous use of Bacopa for ~4 weeks is necessary for the nootropic effects. I would be very surprised if anyone claimed to feel the nootropic effects of bacopa after a single dose. Aside from that, its the single most proven nootropic in humans (6 human studies confirming efficacy, more than any other existing nootropic).

I used it for about 7 - 8 weeks with no noticeable changes.

I might try a different brand or a different source of Bacopa.

#13 noktop

• 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Well, you really missed the point of the thread. Without a detailed answer your input isn't worth anything. You may say that your most essential nootropic is "Racetam + gpc" (which is not even one substance), but if you haven't tried anything else, it's of course your favorite...

Hopefully nootropics will help with your reading comprehension.
  • dislike x 1

#14 knockout_mice

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I made a more general poll and you can also list which nootropics you tried, so it's a little bit easier. There's an option for traditional nootropics now.

http://www.longecity...s-best-for-you/

#15 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

Marijuana in very small amounts.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#16 _alex_

• 91 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Theanine
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#17 andrea23

• 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

• Monoaminergic stimulants (e.g. Ritalin, Amphetamines) are cognitive enhancers but not nootropics

#18 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Deprenyl somewhat relieved a stress disorder for me.

The effects of deprenyl became more pronounced after I ceased taking it.

My favorite nootropics for the time being are choline bitartrate, ALCAR, ALA, theanine and CDP-Choline. If deprenyl wasn't a MAOI and just a catecholamine activity enhancer, it might have been my favorite nootropic if also not for the fact that I am very cautious when approaching pharmaceuticals and even natural supplements.

Edited by Deep Thought, 09 January 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#19 Multicultural Harmony

• Validating/Suspended
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

Why not reading excessively?
I hate reading but have a 1K stack of 8pt font legal to read about misc receptor garbage although I'd rather not. But hell why not? I don't think it will transform me into a genius or anything, far from it. I think reading excessively actually kills off my brain cells. There's no other way though to figure out what I'm looking for though other than performing actual studies. I always hated hard science like cell bio, it is not visual enough for me. It is super boring like watching grass grow, but grass I happen to have invested interest in.
  • dislike x 1

#20 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

My favorite nootropics for the time being are choline bitartrate, ALCAR, ALA, theanine and CDP-Choline. If deprenyl wasn't a MAOI and just a catecholamine activity enhancer, it might have been my favorite nootropic if also not for the fact that I am very cautious when approaching pharmaceuticals and even natural supplements.

Can you go into more detail about your deprenyl experience?I am especially interested in the before/during/after effects, since I haven't heard much about people having effects after they stopped using it.

#21 knockout_mice

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Can you go into more detail about your deprenyl experience?I am especially interested in the before/during/after effects, since I haven't heard much about people having effects after they stopped using it.

I can tell you about mine. I used it for 3 months, ~2.5mg every morning but I had to stop because I developed nasty side effects, like muscle jerks around the eyes, intense (physical) adrenaline-like reactions in stressful situations and egoistic behaviour. It is a MAO-B inhibitor (which is "irreversible" with a half life of 20 days), but it has more pronounced acute effects: partially because of the levo-(meth)amphetamine metabolites (which are very good for memory) and supposedly it's a "monoamine activity enhancer".

The muscle jerks subsided in two weeks after stopping to take it, but the good stuff (memory, motivation enhancement) is only acute. YMMV.

Edited by mice, 31 March 2014 - 08:07 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

I am currently taking Deprenyl(Selegiline). I am going to taper down and then cycle it on and off. I've been taking it for long enough(6 months or more) that its tough to tell what its doing at this point. Deep Thought's comments were curious though. Selegiline stimulates growth factors, so I was wondering what his after effects were, and whether they were probably related to the MAO-B inhibition, growth factors, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics, supplements, brain enhancement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users