Photo

I am going to have surgery - need advice

supplements surgery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

In about a month I am going to get eye surgery to get my eyes properly aligned (much like strabismus surgery). My eye muscles are getting progressively weaker due to a primary mitochondrial dysfunction and every 8-10 years I need to get them aligned (this is my second surgery).

General anesthesia poses some risks for mitochondrial myopathy patients and so, I will go with local plus some mild IV sedation.

I have been thinking about what supplements to take pre and post operative to support my recovery:
  • I will take a big D3 dose (50.000 IU) before and after [1]
  • I will fast 48 hours before surgery. Cannot find the reference now, but this seems to put my body in "full-repair" mode
  • I have some doubts about additional Omega-3 supplementation, as it can worsen bleeding, but it can also help with the inflammatory response. As this surgery should not bleed much, I think Omega-3 will be advisable in my case.
  • Should I stop working-out 2-3 days before surgery ? My reasoning is that I should stop to let my body put all its repair efforts in my eyes
I will appreciate any recommendation from the community. Thanks !

[1] There is some evidence that this might be helpful. Check this clinical trial for more info.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I'd skip the fish oil. It will definitely make bleeding worse, and won't make that much difference in terms of inflammation. If you do the fast, I'd start eating soon after the operation, as you will need some nutrients to build new tissue. FWIW, I just had eye surgery a few months ago, and the only thing I did to prepare was stop fish oil and aspirin a week (maybe longer) before. Everything healed just fine, although it could have been faster. It's possible that the things you're planning would speed up healing, which would be a plus. Ice is your friend. I was using frozen peas in a plastic bag as my ice source. They conform well to the face, and you can refreeze them many times.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mitomutant

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

I'd skip the fish oil. It will definitely make bleeding worse, and won't make that much difference in terms of inflammation. If you do the fast, I'd start eating soon after the operation, as you will need some nutrients to build new tissue. FWIW, I just had eye surgery a few months ago, and the only thing I did to prepare was stop fish oil and aspirin a week (maybe longer) before. Everything healed just fine, although it could have been faster. It's possible that the things you're planning would speed up healing, which would be a plus. Ice is your friend. I was using frozen peas in a plastic bag as my ice source. They conform well to the face, and you can refreeze them many times.

Thanks. Useful info as usual. Did your eye surgery was in the extra-ocular muscles or in the eye itself ? In my case, they will need to cut a couple of muscles to increase their leverage.

Good point about the ice. We tend to ignore the simplest, and usually most effective, solution :)

#4 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

I had an intra-ocular bleed. It is serious and can mess your vision up permanently. If there's any primary or secondary risk of that, stay away from any blood thinners whatsoever.

#5 mitomutant

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I had an intra-ocular bleed. It is serious and can mess your vision up permanently. If there's any primary or secondary risk of that, stay away from any blood thinners whatsoever.

yeap, there is primary risk for intra-ocular bleeding. thanks. Stopping O3 supps for surgery.

#6 mitomutant

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, but I just came back from London and surgery has been cancelled. It seems that my eyes are now getting weaker asymmetrically (right eye is way weaker than left) and surgery is not the proper indication now. I need to wait some years for my left eye to "catch up".

Now I need to find another way to manage my diplopia, but that´s another history ...

On the "half-full" view of things, I will start with C60 supplementation. I have been delaying it for too long. Will report in the C60 forum

#7 Jochen

• 157 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

a bit late, but just found this thread.

I can refer you to http://diplopiagame.com/

I have amplyobia myself and I will be giving this a try for sure, next to the general eye exercises I am doing.

Mind you, this only helps if the main limiting factor in your eyesight is your brain. This will not help physical limitations.

Good luck with your recovery!

on a sidenote, I would suggest PQQ-CQ10-Shilajit as a good stack to assist with your mitochondrial challenges.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 mitomutant

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

a bit late, but just found this thread.

I can refer you to http://diplopiagame.com/

I have amplyobia myself and I will be giving this a try for sure, next to the general eye exercises I am doing.

Mind you, this only helps if the main limiting factor in your eyesight is your brain. This will not help physical limitations.

Good luck with your recovery!

on a sidenote, I would suggest PQQ-CQ10-Shilajit as a good stack to assist with your mitochondrial challenges.

Thanks, but my eye problem is physical (muscles produce very little force due to an underlying mitochondrial defect)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users