What has helped more your sleep?

sleep quality

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#91 dudmuck

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

The cortisol in blood is bound to CBG and albumin.  Saliva is the free cortisol.

This is realated closely to thyroid function as described.. http://tiredthyroid.com/hc.html

#92 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

I will read that when I gather some mental force from yet another day of unrefreshing sleep.  :sad:

However of course that I knew that notion of salivary cortisol being the free one, however that doesnt really explain my high readings in blood. Do I have excessive CBG or albumin? That doesnt make sense.

Are you saying that hypothyroidism causes low salivary cortisol and high blood cortisol? I´ve never read that. The idea of low thyroid eventually dragging adrenals to dysfunction is very widespread, but it doesnt explain my confusing results.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 10 November 2014 - 07:11 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 RonBurgandy

• 31 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

Ironically, I just started adding 200mg of Phosphatidylserine to my TR melatonin a few days ago. I'll keep you posted...

• like x 2

#94 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

So, I'm back to Bacopa. The only supp that's sustainable in its effect and that works (and hopefully won't mess me up further). I use the Bacognize extract, available rather cheaply at swansons or vitacost. Helps me to sleep longer and with fewer interruptions. I also ordered the new xiaome bracelet (22$ at fasttech or dx if you have to know) to track my sleep and experiment a bit with different supps.

Edited by shp5, 23 November 2014 - 02:53 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#95 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

Nothing is working from what I bought lol  :mellow:

Next to try will be Bacopa 50%, indeed. I got carried away and tried a stupid bodybuilder supp containing some bacopa instead of a strong and trustred product. Wrong.

#96 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Do not forget the behavioral approaches for insomnia. They have considerable evidence behind them. I cannot recommend Mahasi meditation enough (IMO a more powerful approach to Awareness meditation). It helps with sleep onset and general relaxation, and it's very simple to learn. Sleep deprivation (staying up into the night) enabled me to sleep again until 9-10am, something I couldn't do for a few years. I coulnd't really reconcile it with my work, so its effects got lost. Don't underestimate Sleep hygiene, I don't think all the other stuff can work properly if this is not in order

Bacopa is not something that will knock you out, but it can help. 5-10mg Lithium ororate work better for me in that regard, but you'll get used to it, so you'd have to cycle it.

IMO you have to combine behavioural changes with the supps that work for you to get an effect.

Edited by shp5, 23 November 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#97 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

IMO you have to combine behavioural changes with the supps that work for you to get an effect.

Yes that is absolutely true. But what behavioural changes everybody needs are diverse. I think mine have more to do with emotional health/aka depression or rumination. BTW my sleep problems are primarily related to quality.

#98 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

MK-766 (Ibutamoren) is a growth hormone secretagogue which can be taken orally (no need to inject).

It is scientifically proven to improve sleep quality. I have not tried it, but I'm planning to. Most people who tried it confirm it has a very positive effect on sleep.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9349662

Prolonged oral treatment with MK-677, a novel growth hormone secretagogue, improves sleep quality in man

Copinschi G1, Leproult R, Van Onderbergen A, Caufriez A, Cole KY, Schilling LM, Mendel CM, De Lepeleire I, Bolognese JA, Van Cauter E.

Previous studies have indicated the existence of common mechanisms regulating sleep and somatotropic activity. In the present study, we investigated the effects of prolonged treatment with a novel, orally active, growth hormone secretagogue (MK-677) on sleep quality in healthy young and older adults. Eight young subjects (18-30 years) followed a double-blind, placebo-controlled, three-period crossover design. Each subject participated in three 7-day treatment periods (with bedtime drug administration), presented in random (Latin square) order, and separated by at least 14 days. Doses were 5 and 25 mg MK-677 and matching placebo. Six older subjects, ages 65-71 years, each participated in two 14-day treatment periods (with bedtime drug administration) separated by a 14-day washout. Doses were 2 and 25 mg MK-677 during the first and second periods, respectively. Baseline sleep and hormonal data were obtained on the 2 days preceding the beginning of the first 14-day treatment period. In young subjects, high-dose MK-677 treatment resulted in an approximately 50% increase in the duration of stage IV and in a more than 20% increase in REM sleep as compared to placebo (p < 0.05). The frequency of deviations from normal sleep decreased from 42% under placebo to 8% under high-dose MK-677 (p < 0.03). In older adults, treatment with MK-677 was associated with a nearly 50% increase in REM sleep (p < 0.05) and a decrease in REM latency (p < 0.02). The frequency of deviations from normal sleep also decreased (p < 0.02). The present findings suggest that MK-677 may simultaneously improve sleep quality and correct the relative hyposomatotropism of senescence.

PMID: 9349662 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#99 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

MK-766 (Ibutamoren) is a growth hormone secretagogue which can be taken orally (no need to inject).

Around 90 bucks for one month 25 mg daily dose trial, one website 113 bucks for 50 days same dose. It would be cool in the lines of kamikaze self experimentation if someone tried it, but it does look like the kind of thing you take for a couple of months and suddenly you develop a bulge in the forehead...  :mellow: I mean, probably not, but keep in mind steroid websites sell this, that should tell us something.

BTW I was surprised to see what a huge market there is for these substances on the Internet. I dont think I would be safe buying this to my country though, this is clearly crossing the line between drugs and supplements.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 24 November 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#100 Noopho

• 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

Phenibut or picamilon both help greatly with sleep and are readily available and are relatively cheap

I've found phenibut to be more effective than benzodiazapines in most cases

#101 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Phenibut is simply not an option for long term use, unless you want to screw your GABA receptors and get WAY WORSE sleep when you try to wean off.

Maybe a couple of days a week? Not worth the risk, IMO.

#102 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

You might be surprised to hear this , but honestly, N-Methyl-D-Aspartic Acid (NMDA) helped me fall asleep and wake up super refreshed. Most people consider glutamate analogues / agonists to be excitory, but this one for some reason really mellowed me out!

• Informative x 1

#103 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

Interesting

#104 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

I clicked informative, but I found it interesting haha

Here is what wiki says: 

NMDA is a water-soluble synthetic substance that is not normally found in biological tissue. It was first synthesized in the 1960s. NMDA is an excitotoxin (it kills nerve cells by over-exciting them); this trait has applications in behavioral neuroscience research. The body of work utilizing this technique falls under the term "lesion studies". Researchers apply NMDA to specific regions of an (animal) subject's brain or spinal cord and subsequently test for the behavior of interest, such as operant behavior. If the behavior is compromised, it suggests the destroyed tissue was part of a brain region that made an important contribution to the normal expression of that behavior.

:mellow:

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 03 December 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#105 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

There is an antidepressant called TRITTICO (TRAZODONE) which seems to produce sedation and deep sleep. It restores the natural sleep architecture. It has to be started at a very low dose and the dose has to be increased very slowly.

It does not produce weight gain and does not worsen sleep apnea.

If you need an antidepressant and have sleep problems, this could be a solution.

http://en.m.wikipedi.../wiki/Trazodone

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Trazodone sleep

Another interesting option could be the DELTA SLEEP INDUCING PEPTIDE. Unfortunately it can only be found on black market med providers and has to be injected.

http://en.m.wikipedi...nducing_peptide

#106 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

I clicked informative, but I found it interesting haha

Here is what wiki says: 

NMDA is a water-soluble synthetic substance that is not normally found in biological tissue. It was first synthesized in the 1960s. NMDA is an excitotoxin (it kills nerve cells by over-exciting them); this trait has applications in behavioral neuroscience research. The body of work utilizing this technique falls under the term "lesion studies". Researchers apply NMDA to specific regions of an (animal) subject's brain or spinal cord and subsequently test for the behavior of interest, such as operant behavior. If the behavior is compromised, it suggests the destroyed tissue was part of a brain region that made an important contribution to the normal expression of that behavior.

:mellow:

Yet it's being marketed as a testosterone booster and sleep aid; ever hear of d-aspartic acid? Same deal brother

#107 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

D-aspartic acid. Ah yeah I looked it up some weeks ago. Apparently it will skyrocket testosterone among other things but even in this forum you can find a guy that suffered side effects for roughly a year.

There are safe ways to increase free test (the one that counts).

Trazadone was very promising, but one dose gave me no different sleep but a week of throat pain. It was scary.

#108 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Trazodone gave me bad headaches. However, I think this happened because I started with a dose that was too high and titrated (increased the dose) too fast.

The same headaches appear when I take too much tryptophan (a serotonin precursor). I think it's due to excess serotonin.

I plan to try it again sometime.

The trouble with tryptophan is that it works fine at first, but then the effects diminuish.

#109 boylan

• 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

Trazodone almost caused liver failure in my wife. You know it was pretty bad when her gastroenterologist called her at home at 7 am and said I'll meet you at the hospital now. Her counts were so high he thought it was liver cancer. Of course, this very rare.

• Informative x 1

#110 rudeway

• 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Vb1 is very helpful,with no side effect at all!

#111 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

D-aspartic acid. Ah yeah I looked it up some weeks ago. Apparently it will skyrocket testosterone among other things but even in this forum you can find a guy that suffered side effects for roughly a year.
There are safe ways to increase free test (the one that counts).

Trazadone was very promising, but one dose gave me no different sleep but a week of throat pain. It was scary.

Well DAA is an NMDA agonist, and though NMDA-complexes are mainly Excitory, they can also increase GABA and neurosteroids if glutamate isn't flooding the KAINATE receptors or AMPA - both of which are far more toxic than NMDA will ever be!

Avoid MSG like the plague and then your glutamate should operate normally, assuming you don't have estrogen dominance or other hormone issues which cause hyperglutamatergic states!
  • Informative x 1

#112 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

Just curious, Area-1255 is that just amateur knowledge or you have studies on neuroscience? 

#113 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Just curious, Area-1255 is that just amateur knowledge or you have studies on neuroscience?

I have studies, but atm, I am on tapatalk, once I get back on a comp, I will post them.

#114 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Haha I meant if you have studied something related to neurology...

#115 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

Haha I meant if you have studied something related to neurology...

Advanced NeuroEndoCrine Research & BioChemistry Graduate, my friend.
  • like x 1

#116 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Good to have you around then  ;)

#117 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

I have tried MK-766 (Ibutamoren). 15 mg taken 1-2 hours before falling asleep, it really helps sleep a lot: I get very prolonged sleep. However, I am sleepy the next 2 days, too. I have only tried this once and I don't know about long term effects yet.

Another thing that helps me is Aniracetam before sleep. I take about 1 g and it gives me an irresistible desire to sleep.

What I am currently trying: liquid melatonin, valerian, passiflora and kava-kava. They are extracts which come in small bottles with droppers. Being in liquid form helps them absorb faster - or at least so I hope. Tonight is my first trial of this.

#118 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

Good to have you around then  ;)

Yes, and I'm about to present a revolution to the neuro-endocrine world, in terms of cognitive enhancement and optimal well being...stay tuned. ;)

• like x 2

#119 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

Keep it coming Dan. I will try megadoses of Withania (like 100 mg per kg like they do in studies) and Bacopa AOR in roughly two weeks. You cannot stop trying things, sleep is the basic nootropic and the fountain of youth and joy. For example if someone was to tell me that using the computer was causung my sleep issues I would drop it in a milisecond. So far I have discovered my sleep issues are very elated to depression, and this means excessive REM, but probably there is more to it than that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Keep it coming Dan. I will try megadoses of Withania (like 100 mg per kg like they do in studies) and Bacopa AOR in roughly two weeks. You cannot stop trying things, sleep is the basic nootropic and the fountain of youth and joy. For example if someone was to tell me that using the computer was causung my sleep issues I would drop it in a milisecond. So far I have discovered my sleep issues are very elated to depression, and this means excessive REM, but probably there is more to it than that.

Growth Hormone levels need to be optimized to have optimal health and longevity, GH is the ultimate multi pathway rejuvenator, and has its rightful place as the center and basis for all future peptides and derivatives that would allow for the longevity crews to achieve ultimate wellbeing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users