• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Your number one top supplement (pure ingredient, not a multi)

chemical supplement extract

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 bigsend

• 54 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Sulbutiamine.

Helps tremendously with fatigue, verbal fluency and mental clarity.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Yea, but how long (and often) have you been taking it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Boris_Badenoff

• 27 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Cat's Claw Extract. Digestive health, DNA repair.
  • Agree x 1

#4 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

bigsend,

I heard sulbultiamine builds tolerance super rapidly? How long have you been taking it?

#5 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Iodine. Fixed my energy levels. Next would be DHA, cause I'm all smart and stuff now.
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 Galloway

• 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

Melatonin, hands down by 5,000 miles. Been taking since 1995 when prescribed by a sleep doc. I was born with a reversed body clock and without this supplement I'd have to spend my entire life on the graveyard shift. I only trust Schiff brand.
  • like x 3

#7 noopept-user-123

• 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Can't decide between Noopept & Phenylpiracetam & Modafinil

Noopept is daily, the other two are occasional use.

#8 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Iodine. Fixed my energy levels. Next would be DHA, cause I'm all smart and stuff now.

Arjuna which iodine supplement are you taking?

#9 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Noopept. If I were forced to take only one non-prescription neurological, I'd stick with this one.

If I were forced to take only one neurological at all though, even counting prescriptions... I'd probably have to go with selegiline since for me personally, it really works well with my system. Wide range of beneficial effects and almost no side effects.

#10 bigsend

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

I don't get tolerance from sulbutiamine, for me it seems to get better over time. But I could be different, I have CFS and it makes a big difference. I gave it to some friends without CFS and they both said it made them manic. So not for everyone.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

c60-olive oil.

#12 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Right now, the best of the best favorite is theanine. So many different uses, so gentle and subtle, and I've yet to notice a negative side effect of it.

#13 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Ginkgo Biloba. Got rid of my ADHD and concentration problems in one swift swoop. Can't go a day without it.

#14 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Kelp (potassium iodide) and sometimes lugols. About 1-2 mg a day maintenance, more at the start. It cranks up thyroid and dopamine levels if you are deficient.

Here is how I found out about it:
http://www.longecity...ted-supplement/

Here is a thread I made about its connection to dopamine:
http://www.longecity...ine-connection/

Fixed my sluggish libido and ADHD, yay!

#15 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Kelp (potassium iodide) and sometimes lugols. About 1-2 mg a day maintenance, more at the start. It cranks up thyroid and dopamine levels if you are deficient.

Here is how I found out about it:
http://www.longecity...ted-supplement/

Here is a thread I made about its connection to dopamine:
http://www.longecity...ine-connection/

Fixed my sluggish libido and ADHD, yay!

I would be careful with long term moderate-high doses; stripping your body of boron is not a good thing. Excess is bad but too little is also bad, on your libido and other things.

#16 _alex_

• 91 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Right now, the best of the best favorite is theanine. So many different uses, so gentle and subtle, and I've yet to notice a negative side effect of it.

I +1 this, theanine is amazing! Not only does it help the body cope with stress (blood pressure etc) and improve your cognition, but it is the one thing that has helped my GAD anxiety disorder so much without any side effect. I love it so much I grow my own tea plants just for pure admiration of the plant haha
  • like x 1

#17 Galloway

• 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I +1 this, theanine is amazing! Not only does it help the body cope with stress (blood pressure etc) and improve your cognition, but it is the one thing that has helped my GAD anxiety disorder so much without any side effect. I love it so much I grow my own tea plants just for pure admiration of the plant haha

Also like thenine a lot it takes edge off of caffeine

Focus XT + Piracetam + Theanine is an excellent morning stack.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Also cranks up thyroid if you aren't deficient, which might be construed as a negative. 1-2 mg/day is probably not going to kill you, but some people really go nuts with it.

#19 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Yeah I read of people going on megadoses with iodine to push out bromide, which I'm not interested in trying. Japanese have 12 mg a day from their diet, so I'm not concerned about my dose. I feel good, I walked in the snow for 30 minutes without a shirt because my body temperature is high and I felt fine, so maybe that is abnormal. But I feel so good, my voice seems richer like my hormones have been balanced or something, my skin has a great hue, and I've never been so mentally "on fire" in my life. I take boron with it, so no worries. Boron has a host of awesome benefits, too, like increased alpha brain wavelengths, increased calcium and magnesium retention, increased vitamin d expression, healthy parathyroid, higher free testosterone.

Edited by Arjuna, 16 February 2014 - 02:23 AM.

• like x 1

#20 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

c60-olive oil.

Are there perceptible benefits to taking this or do you take it for the supposed longevity benefits?

Edited by semi-retarded-individual, 16 February 2014 - 02:39 AM.

• like x 1

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

c60-olive oil.

Are there perceptible benefits to taking this or do you take it for the supposed longevity benefits?

Yes, there are huge benefits. Endurance is markedly better. It inhibits sunburn. Any condition involving hypoxia seems to be improved. It appears to be a cure for statin injuries. It improves some conditions involving allergy/atopy. For example, it cured my intractable eczema, and there was a guy with bad asthma who had a sudden and remarkable improvement. Chris Kepley has done a lot of work in this area, and has shown that a variety of fullerene compounds inhibit the allergic response.

Its activities are consistent with enhanced mitochondrial performance. This is mainly noticeable when you are pushing yourself athletically or in cases where there was mitochondrial dysfunction. A lot of people have given it to their pets as well as themselves, and there are numerous reports of elderly dogs acting youthful again.

I suspect that it would be helpful in fibromyalgia and CFS.

Edited by niner, 16 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

• like x 4

#22 ColonyCitizen079

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Surprised no one mentioned Alpha Lipoic Acid (not to be confused with alpha linolenic acid). Its role as an multi-antioxidant recyler, and the fact that it's the only antioxidant to be be detected at appreciable levels in the blood after ingestion situate it firmly at the top of my regimen pyramid. I don't take a multivitamin because no evidence supports their use, there's good evidence they kick the shit out of your liver, and they're actually inversely correlated with lifespan. Plus I don't live in Kenya so I don't need them. Conversely, Alpha Lipoic Acid has a deluge of positive data supporting its supplementation.

Omega-3 oils (for a laundry list of benefits that should come as no surprise to anyone), pomegranate extract (potent artery cleaner and antioxidant), grape seed extract (moderate estrogen inhibition, and antioxidant), and occasional Vitamin D follow close behind.

I take a lot of stuff. But in the proverbial "stranded on an island with only one supplement" scenario, I'd go with Alpha Lipoic Acid or Omega 3s. The data supporting the range of their benefits is hard to ignore.

Edited by Brian Soto, 17 February 2014 - 12:52 PM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 2

#23 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't take a multivitamin because no evidence supports their use, there's good evidence they kick the shit out of your liver, and they're actually inversely correlated with lifespan.

Any references about the liver-toxicity of multivitamins?

Edited by platypus, 17 February 2014 - 02:32 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#24 ColonyCitizen079

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

I don't take a multivitamin because no evidence supports their use, there's good evidence they kick the shit out of your liver, and they're actually inversely correlated with lifespan.

Any references about the liver-toxicity of multivitamins?

Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but here it is.

There are several studies showing hepatotoxicity for both cumulative damage from vitamins and minerals within multivitamins which exceed RDA (as multivitamins commonly do), and from mass doses of several of those as well. For example, the University of Rochester website has a page detailing the problems that can arise taking vitamins beyond dietary recommendations (these are routinely exceeded in multivitamins), saying "higher doses of supplements may be harmful, says the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS). If you make a habit of taking large, or "mega-doses," of nutrients, you could risk serious or even fatal illness." (see: Vitamins: Too Much of a Good Thing?)

At the Colorado State University website, there's a page titled, "Fat-Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E, and K" with study citations in the footer showing liver damage and other problems that arise when RDAs are exceeded (I would leave the links here, but I'm handicapped with my post count at 5).

There's also the somewhat infamous Copenhagen University multivitamin study linking their regular consumption to shorter life expectancy, and an increased risk of death or disease. There are several studies at NCBI under "hypervitaminosis" (see Hypervitaminosis A. A cause of hypercalcemia, and hypervitaminosis D) showing the cumulative and acute damage of those vitamins where supplementation is usually the culprit on the liver and other physiological systems.

Similarly, NCBI has several studies showing the adverse effects of iron and selenium (two minerals frequently added to multivitamin supplements), on the liver at excessive levels.

So obviously this assumes people have regular access to a dietary source of these vitamins. If you live in Darfur, your liver is thanking you for whatever you can give it, supplemental horse pills included. A lot of this is inferrence of a combination of studies. The idea being--everything in moderation. So while something like a once-a-day child's multivitamin probably wouldn't do anything to anyone, it's the people who take the giant-sized mega pill with 1000%+ of your RDA in addition to their already robust diet who aren't doing themselves (or their livers) any favors.

Edited by Brian Soto, 17 February 2014 - 06:39 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#25 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Surprised no one mentioned Alpha Lipoic Acid (not to be confused with alpha linolenic acid). Its role as an multi-antioxidant recyler, and the fact that it's the only antioxidant to be be detected at appreciable levels in the blood after ingestion situate it firmly at the top of my regimen pyramid. I don't take a multivitamin because no evidence supports their use, there's good evidence they kick the shit out of your liver, and they're actually inversely correlated with lifespan. Plus I don't live in Kenya so I don't need them. Conversely, Alpha Lipoic Acid has a deluge of positive data supporting its supplementation.

Omega-3 oils (for a laundry list of benefits that should come as no surprise to anyone), pomegranate extract (potent artery cleaner and antioxidant), grape seed extract (moderate estrogen inhibition, and antioxidant), and occasional Vitamin D follow close behind.

I take a lot of stuff. But in the proverbial "stranded on an island with only one supplement" scenario, I'd go with Alpha Lipoic Acid or Omega 3s. The data supporting the range of their benefits is hard to ignore.

Good points all around, I totally forgot ALA even though I take it daily. And I also don't take a multi daily, I take half of one only once in a while, maybe once a week, when I feel as though I may have depleted something in my system with another supplement.

#26 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Alpha Lipoic Acid has a deluge of positive data supporting its supplementation.

Supplemenation in humans? Data supporting it for what indications?

My understanding is that there is no doubt it is useful in people with diabetes and prediabetes, for improved blood sugar control.

It's not clear that it is beneficial in already healthy people - I would suggest.

In particular, moderate-large doses, given to people who don't exercise, seem to promote atherogenic changes wrt blood lipids.

Edited by blood, 17 February 2014 - 10:59 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#27 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

rhodiola rosea for now

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

There are plenty of antioxidants that have good bioavailability. ALA is far from the only one. There is also evidence supporting the use of properly dosed multivitamins. It's late and I don't feel like digging it up now. The evidence against multis is mostly due to excessive transition metal content of older multis. The main offenders here were iron and copper. Most mainstream multis today have toned down or eliminated their iron and copper, particularly compared to the formulations that were in use when much of the "anti-supplement" data was gathered. A mainstream multi (e.g. Centrum) is not going to harm your liver. It's possible that living in Kenya would make you less likely, rather than more likely to need a multi. The "Standard American Diet", often referred to as "SAD", is pretty shitty. It tends to be deficient in all manner of things. It's certainly possible to eat a healthy diet in the US, but the majority of Americans don't. As blood mentioned above, I can't think of any data supporting the use of ALA in healthy humans. Do you have a PMID on that?

Like you, I don't take a multi, but I have a pretty good diet and I supplement a number of things individually. Have you ever run your diet through Cron-O-Meter, or gotten a 25-OH-Vitamin D level? Do you know if you're getting enough iodine, magnesium, or zinc?

#29 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Surprised no one mentioned Alpha Litd (not to be confused with alpha linolenic acid). Its role as an multi-antioxidant recyler, and the fact that it's the only antioxidant to be be detected at appreciable levels in the blood after ingestion situate it firmly at the top of my regimen pyramid. I don't take a multivitamin because no evidence supports their use, there's good evidence they kick the shit out of your liver, and they're actually inversely correlated with lifespan. Plus I don't live in Kenya so I don't need them. Conversely, Alpha Lipoic Acid has a deluge of positive data supporting its supplementation.

There are plenty of antioxidants that have good bioavailability. ALA is far from the only one. There is also evidence supporting the use of properly dosed multivitamins. It's late and I don't feel like digging it up now. The evidence against multis is mostly due to excessive transition metal content of older multis. The main offenders here were iron and copper. Most mainstream multis today have toned down or eliminated their iron and copper, particularly compared to the formulations that were in use when much of the "anti-supplement" data was gathered. A mainstream multi (e.g. Centrum) is not going to harm your liver. It's possible that living in Kenya would make you less likely, rather than more likely to need a multi. The "Standard American Diet", often referred to as "SAD", is pretty shitty. It tends to be deficient in all manner of things. It's certainly possible to eat a healthy diet in the US, but the majority of Americans don't. As blood mentioned above, I can't think of any data supporting the use of ALA in healthy humans. Do you have a PMID on that?

Like you, I don't take a multi, but I have a pretty good diet and I supplement a number of things individually. Have you ever run your diet through Cron-O-Meter, or gotten a 25-OH-Vitamin D level? Do you know if you're getting enough iodine, magnesium, or zinc?

I know you weren't replying directly to me but those four you mentioned are part of my staples. I get a lot of things separately in 'pure' forms so that I could have better control over my individual needs as to dosage of what, with what and when and in what form, which was the first of several reasons why I went off a daily multivitamin.

ALA was one of my first OTC supplements and it helped me noticably, but as I did not qualify as healthy it probably doesn't count for much. Although I did learn that most people who take ALA follow the directions from the manufacturer, which typically states that it is best taken with food (even the bottle I have now states that) - and taking it with food actually hinders absorption. It wasn't until I started taking it on an empty stomach that I noticed benefits, which is good because I very nearly threw that first bottle out and gave up on it.

Edited by Duchykins, 18 February 2014 - 07:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Could you PM me the link to the kelp supplement you are using? The are so many different ones there.
Thx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemical, supplement, extract

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users